NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mvsfan

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by mvsfan »

use a good seperate heavy audio cable like Rg59 heavy. that will get rid of the buzz.

monoprice sells them cheaply.
Jeppen

Post by Jeppen »

Thanks i will try using a shielded cable.

This will only be internally to the mini din 8 connector though, then the minidin cable takes over.
Will there still be a noticable improvment you think? Or will the minidin cable from Tim undo it all?
slugman

Post by slugman »

I just finished to mod my Twin Famicom. Everything works perfectly :D

CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

Jeppen wrote:Thanks i will try using a shielded cable.

This will only be internally to the mini din 8 connector though, then the minidin cable takes over.
Will there still be a noticable improvment you think? Or will the minidin cable from Tim undo it all?
I would not even bother to run the audio out the mini din 8. Just put a separate jack on there for sound.
hugocraft

Post by hugocraft »

Planning on getting the NESRGB board for a 72pin NTSC front loader but trying to figure out what jack to output RGB on and prefer to use an existing scart cable that I have. I know there is a 3d printed Nintendo mutli out but thinking using the sega genesis 2 scart cable would be cheaper so I have been looking for that 9 pin mini din panel mount jack. This is the only one I've found so far but wondering if anyone knows a smaller round black plastic version like you see with s-video.

CP-2590-ND
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch ... 0606153878

Any feedback or suggestions is much appreciated. I would be fine to run audio through the 9 pin as well, right? Also how can I get stereo or how does that work? :D
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Do not bother with stereo. The NES hardware is not capable of stereo sound and the so called stereo mods out there are all novel hacks not true to the spirit of the original sound circuit as was designed by Nintendo engineers.
Last edited by kamiboy on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

kamiboy wrote:Do not bother with stereo. The NES hardware is not capable of stereo sound and the so called stereo nods out there are all novel hacks not true to the spirit of the original sound circuit designed by Nintendo.
Can't say this enough. It sounds awful and it's not 'true stereo' as people claim it is.
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

kamiboy wrote:Do not bother with stereo. The NES hardware is not capable of stereo sound and the so called stereo mods out there are all novel hacks not true to the spirit of the original sound circuit as was designed by Nintendo engineers.
Does the board do "dual mono" on its own though? I really get annoyed when only one speaker gets sound.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

You do not need a board to do dual mono as that is the simplest of things to achieve.
Last edited by kamiboy on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

If your TV or receiver can't make the dual mono itself, then you need a new one :P
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

I don't know how it goes for anything except composite.

Right now I only get 2 cables out of my NES, one for video and one for audio.

Right now I put that into my XRGB mini and I only get one speaker, i realize I can just split it and put it in both channels but I was wondering if when I get this and use RGB for video and audio will it provide me with "dual mono".
RGB32E

Re: N64RGB board available now!!!!

Post by RGB32E »

Looks like the N64RGB has finally arrived! http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=20 ... how_detail

Tim should probably start a new thread for this. :mrgreen:

Installation/details page: http://etim.net.au/n64rgb/
The board is easy to install for anybody who is experienced with soldering and following instructions.
:P
hugocraft

Post by hugocraft »

I'll just do dual mono but does anyone know of a sega genesis 2 panel mount jack to use with the nesrgb besides the one I found:

CP-2590-ND
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch ... 0606153878
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

I believe Jason was able to source some out a while ago.

Contact Gametech.us, he should be able to point you in the right direction.
kinglocar

Post by kinglocar »

Ever see anything like this before ?

White, blue, and mustard.

Using GameTechUS's Genesis 2 connector into a Sync Strike < Upscaled.
The power pak seems like the only cart that boots. legit games are all gray.
Pallet switch is hooked up for all 3 of the new schemes.
rezendes

Post by rezendes »

mvsfan wrote:2 people basically said that you should probably not take the ppu out cause damaging it isnt common.

you may need a new nesrgb depending on how many traces are broken wether or not its worth fixing.
After helping me directly through email, Tim sent me a replacement and I got it up and running great, except I have it in a socket (cut some plastic out of the bottom of the NES hidden under the expansion cover) and I cannot press a game down or else I get a grey screen. Probably because I didn't cut a hole in the metal shield and it's probably too much pressure on the ppu or moving something around. I may just leave it how it is because the 72 pin connector will last longer without pressing games down.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

rezendes wrote:
mvsfan wrote:2 people basically said that you should probably not take the ppu out cause damaging it isnt common.

you may need a new nesrgb depending on how many traces are broken wether or not its worth fixing.
After helping me directly through email, Tim sent me a replacement and I got it up and running great, except I have it in a socket (cut some plastic out of the bottom of the NES hidden under the expansion cover) and I cannot press a game down or else I get a grey screen. Probably because I didn't cut a hole in the metal shield and it's probably too much pressure on the ppu or moving something around. I may just leave it how it is because the 72 pin connector will last longer without pressing games down.

What kind of socket? In the dozen NESRGB's I've installed, 5 of them were in front loaders, and never did I have to remove any material from the bottom plastics due to clearance..
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

usually when i put a new 72 pin in i dont have to push the game down. most of them are made that way. when you start pushing it down it wears out quicker.

it also helps a lot if you cut pin 4 on the 10nes chip. it stops the nes from resetting when a game isnt making good contact.

i didnt used to do this but on my newer stuff im doing it and it saves headaches from games not booting.
leonk

Post by leonk »

mvsfan wrote:usually when i put a new 72 pin in i dont have to push the game down. most of them are made that way. when you start pushing it down it wears out quicker.

it also helps a lot if you cut pin 4 on the 10nes chip. it stops the nes from resetting when a game isnt making good contact.

i didnt used to do this but on my newer stuff im doing it and it saves headaches from games not booting.
I used to use these China made aftermarket 72 pin connectors that have the grip of death on the carts. Eventually they all failed (gone through a few hundred of them over the years). The only viable long term fix (which I've been doing with excellent success) is the boil and file method on original connectors. You then need to keep all your carts clean before playing them and it will last you forever.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

kinglocar wrote:Ever see anything like this before ?

How do you have the switch wired up? Looks like the NESRGB is shut off.
viletim

Post by viletim »

kinglocar wrote:Ever see anything like this before ?

Normally, problems with funny colours are caused by a bad connection on the EXT pins (PPU 14-17). If your games are showing up all grey it might be something else... Do you hear sound when this happens (test that the NES is actually running)?
kinglocar

Post by kinglocar »

Yes I get a steady buzzing sound and no game audio. The power pak does navigate/isn't frozen. The image is sharp so the nesrgb is running and powering the scart.

Should every pin pass a continuity test? From the chip pins to the new socket
DarkShock

Post by DarkShock »

Hey guys, I'm new here but I need advice from experts.

I'm done installing my second installation of the NESRGB into my Famicom AV. I want to use the NESRGB audio circuit on it with expansion audio to get good balanced audio.

I'm trying to wire it up without cutting any traces but before doing it I want to confirm I'm removing the right components.

My plan is:
  • Remove R8 that's link from the pin 46 of the catridge connector
  • Remove C1 and C2 to disable the route to the multi-out connector and to Pin 45 of the catridge
  • Solder from the input of the 12K resistor (R4) to Input A on the NESRGB
  • Solder from the input of the 20K resistor (R3) to Input B on the NESRGB
  • Wire the output to the multi-out connector
Am I desoldering the right components ?

Jeppen

Post by Jeppen »

Pasky wrote:
kamiboy wrote:Do not bother with stereo. The NES hardware is not capable of stereo sound and the so called stereo nods out there are all novel hacks not true to the spirit of the original sound circuit designed by Nintendo.
Can't say this enough. It sounds awful and it's not 'true stereo' as people claim it is.
I don't agree, when using a mix pot you can put a spread on the sound which i find gives it an incredibly sense of depth to it, in my ears it raises the quality a lot.

Though spreading it 100% Right and Left definitely sounds very strange, hence the mix pot :)
Works best if you got more than the stock speakers in your TV.

Question, is their a way to mod the NESRGB's audio circuit and split the CPU pins for "stereo spread"?
Would that make it a better quality sound instead of dipping leads into the CPU pins, or is the NESRGB simply re-routing the audio to a new pinout without amplifying/altering it?
Sixfortyfive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

I have a really low opinion of NES "stereo" mods as well. It's like going to a rock concert where instead of having the whole band on the same stage, they put the guitarists on a stage to the left of the audience and the drummers and vocalists on the right side of the audience. Why on earth would you want that?
antron

Post by antron »

Not to defend the practice in the realm of console mods, but isn't that how some very successful bands, like Led Zeppelin, mixed their albums?
Jeppen

Post by Jeppen »

Sixfortyfive wrote:I have a really low opinion of NES "stereo" mods as well. It's like going to a rock concert where instead of having the whole band on the same stage, they put the guitarists on a stage to the left of the audience and the drummers and vocalists on the right side of the audience. Why on earth would you want that?
That's why you use a mix potentiometer to get like 20% separation instead of 100% on each side as you described.

It works wonders in my opinion.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

I took some captures to compare RGB, Component (NESRGB add-on), and Component (Kramer FC-14). I used a PEXHDCAP card and Micomsoft's Video Keeper software. Video Keeper leaves a few things to be desired in terms of capture quality (pixel alignment), but works well enough for comparison. I found the NESRGB add-on to be overall a better solution than the FC-14. This could be in part due to the short signal path (<1" vs 7' cable). Keep in mind that different devices (XRGB) and displays handle RGB and component signals differently, so YMMV.

Monstermug

Post by Monstermug »

Zelda looks really happy he's gonna get to come inside.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Monstermug wrote:Zelda looks really happy he's gonna get to come inside.
Zelda? LOL