NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Drakon

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by Drakon »

rCadeGaming wrote:The problem is simply that you can't reason with an unreasonable person. If we want to keep trying, can we take it to a different thread? Seriously.
I sent him a pm but he kept on going off topic in the thread and never replied to my pm. I'd be more than happy to discuss this by pm with someone who cares about my side of the story.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Last edited by Arasoi on Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Hopefully the Scart leads wont take too long to come back in stock
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Damn, sold out already! Ah well, I need to save up for one anyway and this just gives me more time to do so. When I get mine and get a feel for installing it, I might offer the installation service as well (and at a reasonable price too).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I honestly believe that this will be one the best selling items in "home made" electronic upgrades yet (just wait till the first proper reviews get online), so I have no doubts that Tim will restock PLENTY as soon as he can.
mufunyo

Post by mufunyo »

RGB32E wrote:Instead of hacking apart a VGA distribution amplifier you could use a Micomsoft XSYNC-1. At it's core it uses a THS7374.
Micomsoft Shop: http://micomsoft.co.jp/shop/xsync-1.html
Solaris Japan (orders outside of Japan): http://www.solarisjapan.com/xsync-1-21- ... separator/
While that does exactly what I need, it's horribly overpriced for what it does, needs to be imported from Japan (hello customs) and uses two connectors I don't have the right cables for (J-RGB21 and their custom DIN port). Honestly, the cheap VGA splitters are fine even for SVGA signals which are many times higher than 15KHz, and an LM1881 is dirt cheap. With a simple project or tupperware box I can have a nice distro amp that takes in standard euro SCART on one side and outputs standard euro SCART alongside VGA on the other side. Just put a 330 ohm resistor on one of the two sync outputs to bring it down to 0.3Vpp.

rCadeGaming wrote:Mufunyo, does the Nestopia pallete represent the standard composite one?
Yes. The third palette is just something I whipped up real quick in Photoshop to combine the vibrancy of the FCEUX palette with the correct hues of the Nestopia palette.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

viletim, just a head's up but I believe there's a big typo in the guide on your website. The guide says "Identify the PPU chip. The PAL version is marked RP2A07, the NTSC version is RP2A03." The problem is, those are the CPUs. Not the PPUs.

Anyway, I am happy I got my order in on time and I will be one of the first to receive it. I cannot wait. I am ordering a DIN8 port while I wait! :)

Also, can you confirm what Drakon said? Using the included regulator made the image darker for some reason?

Thanks again for creating this. I hope it makes you a very rich man. :)
undamned

Post by undamned »

Hey, Tim, sorry if I missed this detail if previously discussed, but any chance on your next board rev. you scoot things over a bit so there is no need to use the adapter board on certain NES/FC models? Then you could have a "one size fits all" pcb so there is zero confusion about which version to use where. Just a thought! :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
ckong

Post by ckong »

viletim wrote:I have sold out of both NESRGB board and cables. Thank you everybody for your orders. It will take me a little while to get on top of everything so please be patient.

I will also organise for more to be made but cannot give a date at this time.
Damn, see what happens if you don't visit the forum every hour! :? 8) :wink:

Tim, is it possible to put up a list of reservations for the next batch, because I sure would like to have a board with cable, and I don't want to miss out again?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

From reading Phonedork's post, it's easy to infer he said that everything's "good" because he wanted to deal with you as little as possible. Frankly, you should've replaced the casing or the Famicom itself. Anything you do to rectify the situation at this point will be perceived as pandering, regardless of intent.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Glad I got a couple of these. Hope they're restocked soon. Thanks Tim!
mufunyo

Post by mufunyo »

Shameless self-quote:
mufunyo wrote:FCEUX

Nestopia

Going off that, I'll probably hard-wire my palette to "improved".

EDIT: If you could make your own palettes, I'd probably go with something like this:
Just poured some hours into fine-tuning my "vibrant" palette:

I think it turned out pretty nice. It's tuned for 100% saturation in all coloured entries (respecting hue and brightness), with some more contrast between the different greyscales. Give it a try in your emulator of choice :).

<pipe dream>Man, that would be nice to have on the NESRGB :lol:</pipe dream>
EmperorZelos

Post by EmperorZelos »

when will it be availiable again?
viletim

Post by viletim »

mufunyo wrote:Also, if you could sell the charge pump PCB separately, Famicom AV users could use it to convert their multi-AV-connector J-RGB21 cables into euro SCART cables (pin 10 on the multi-AV is +5V that maps to pin 11 on the RGB21 cable). I know you recommend your DIN solution, but don't underestimate people's desires to keep their Famicom AV shell stock.
Yes, I understand. It's probably best to buy a Nintendo RGB cable of some variety, remove any capacitors/resistors, and dedicate it to the AV famicom.

I do plan to sell the charge pump board separately, but not now.
Hamburglar wrote: viletim, just a head's up but I believe there's a big typo in the guide on your website. The guide says "Identify the PPU chip. The PAL version is marked RP2A07, the NTSC version is RP2A03." The problem is, those are the CPUs. Not the PPUs.
Well spotted! I'll fix it.
Hamburglar wrote: Also, can you confirm what Drakon said? Using the included regulator made the image darker for some reason?
No, it won't make any changes to the picture (if wired correctly, of course). It only moves some of the dissipated heat away from the internal regulator.
undamned wrote: Hey, Tim, sorry if I missed this detail if previously discussed, but any chance on your next board rev. you scoot things over a bit so there is no need to use the adapter board on certain NES/FC models? Then you could have a "one size fits all" pcb so there is zero confusion about which version to use where. Just a thought!
I would need to go to four layers to make it the ideal shape without it getting too big. I think I'll leave it for now...
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I would really like one of these boards. Only problem is that I already have a Playchoice 10 PPU in my NES and I threw away the old one. Is it possible to use this board with a Playchoice 10 PPU instead of the original US PPU?

Not sure that I'd want to considering the price I paid for the Playchoice 10 PPU, I'd much rather give it away to someone who needs it for a PC10 motherboard.

If anyone has a spare, and properly desoldered (all pins intact), US PPU laying around I might be interested in buying it :)
leonk

Post by leonk »

Konsolkongen wrote:I would really like one of these boards. Only problem is that I already have a Playchoice 10 PPU in my NES and I threw away the old one. Is it possible to use this board with a Playchoice 10 PPU instead of the original US PPU?

Not sure that I'd want to considering the price I paid for the Playchoice 10 PPU, I'd much rather give it away to someone who needs it for a PC10 motherboard.

If anyone has a spare, and properly desoldered (all pins intact), US PPU laying around I might be interested in buying it :)
Just sell your current setup AS IS on eBay to fund a new top loader + NESRGB board!!! Someone went to the trouble of modding your system, leave it as is!
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Konsolkongen wrote: If anyone has a spare, and properly desoldered (all pins intact), US PPU laying around I might be interested in buying it :)
I can get you one if you need it, but I kind of agree with Leon, may be easier to start anew.
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Another +1 on that.
Evilmaxwar

Post by Evilmaxwar »

Sold out already?
Wow, I was sure those would go like hot cakes but that was still pretty quick.
Guess Ill have to wait for the second batch.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm waiting for impressions from the first batch, but if they're all that, I'll definitely be down for one on the second batch.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

leonk wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:I would really like one of these boards. Only problem is that I already have a Playchoice 10 PPU in my NES and I threw away the old one. Is it possible to use this board with a Playchoice 10 PPU instead of the original US PPU?

Just sell your current setup AS IS on eBay to fund a new top loader + NESRGB board!!! Someone went to the trouble of modding your system, leave it as is!
The toploader is too ugly :) The problem is getting a US NES shipped to Europe + customs fee will end up being crazy expensive :(
philexile

Post by philexile »

Konsolkongen wrote:The toploader is too ugly :) The problem is getting a US NES shipped to Europe + customs fee will end up being crazy expensive :(
PM me. I could help you out with this if you need it. :)
leonk

Post by leonk »

philexile wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:The toploader is too ugly :) The problem is getting a US NES shipped to Europe + customs fee will end up being crazy expensive :(
PM me. I could help you out with this if you need it. :)
Exactly! Lots of people can help you out as long as you don't mind NTSC.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

NTSC is the only choice :) No way I'm playing anything in 50Hz ever again :D
Evilmaxwar

Post by Evilmaxwar »

Konsolkongen wrote:NTSC is the only choice :) No way I'm playing anything in 50Hz ever again :D
lol true. 50 hz is horrible.

Btw, if anywone is interested, I have two Toaster NES with the PPU already in a socket. Problem is im not sure how good the cart connectors are on them, they may need a little refurbish.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

I was checking if there was some activity on twitter regarding the NESRGB, so maybe I could follow fellow enthusiasts... and man, was I surprised to see tons of Japanese posts: https://twitter.com/search?q=NESRGB&src=typd&f=realtime
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

Artemio wrote:I was checking if there was some activity on twitter regarding the NESRGB, so maybe I could follow fellow enthusiasts... and man, was I surprised to see tons of Japanese posts: https://twitter.com/search?q=NESRGB&src=typd&f=realtime
Whoa, even Kamiya from Platinum Games posted about it. Crazy.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I would love it if someone could translate that better than Google does. It seems to be giving high praise to viletim's work!
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

PG_kamiya wrote:It is a thingy of feeling such as NES RGB of ultimate weapon.
Indeed.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Artemio wrote:I was checking if there was some activity on twitter regarding the NESRGB, so maybe I could follow fellow enthusiasts... and man, was I surprised to see tons of Japanese posts: https://twitter.com/search?q=NESRGB&src=typd&f=realtime
You know it must be popular; Tim's site has been down for a few days now. I didn't know bandwidth limits still existed!