NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FBX

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by FBX »

Larrs888 wrote:
I really want to keep it tidy and not have a pallet switch installed and will probably ask for the firmware to be flashed with FBX's Smooth pallet.
Should I ask to have the caps removed so I can use a 470 CSYNC SNES NTSC Scart cable or order a CSYNC PASS Through
Hey thanks for the support of my Smooth palette!

With regard to components in the cable versus in the console itself, my opinion is to always defer to caps and resistors in the console and use pass-through cables whenever possible. For example: The PS2 has all the caps in the console, so I take them out of the cable. That's just me though.
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

FBX wrote:
Larrs888 wrote:
I really want to keep it tidy and not have a pallet switch installed and will probably ask for the firmware to be flashed with FBX's Smooth pallet.
Should I ask to have the caps removed so I can use a 470 CSYNC SNES NTSC Scart cable or order a CSYNC PASS Through
Hey thanks for the support of my Smooth palette!

With regard to components in the cable versus in the console itself, my opinion is to always defer to caps and resistors in the console and use pass-through cables whenever possible. For example: The PS2 has all the caps in the console, so I take them out of the cable. That's just me though.
Thanks FBX, so do you think the SNES c-sync passthrough cable that RGC UK sell will do the job for the NES RGB with the caps left on the board?

Many thanks
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Is there any chance of an updated NESRGB board, or perhaps a firmware update, with dejitter support?
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

nmalinoski wrote:Is there any chance of an updated NESRGB board, or perhaps a firmware update, with dejitter support?
↑this
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

Sorry guys I hope you can help, I’ve tried searching and I just need some confirmation please. Can I use an NTSC SNES RGB scart cable for the NES RGB in an AV Famicom that is wired for 470 c-sync with the 3 220uf capacitors removed from the scart head or remove them from the NES RGB board and bridge the connections like in Voltar’s video.

I want to get another Packapunch cable ordered whilst there is a sale on and then get the RGB mod after my summer vacation.

This is the one here:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... gold-scart

Thanks all:) really can’t wait to get my AV Famicom upgraded soon.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Larrs888 wrote:Sorry guys I hope you can help, I’ve tried searching and I just need some confirmation please. Can I use an NTSC SNES RGB scart cable for the NES RGB in an AV Famicom that is wired for 470 c-sync with the 3 220uf capacitors removed from the scart head or remove them from the NES RGB board and bridge the connections like in Voltar’s video.

I want to get another Packapunch cable ordered whilst there is a sale on and then get the RGB mod after my summer vacation.

This is the one here:

I use mine with an off-the-shelf SNES cable, much like you linked to there. You can either remove the components from the cable or the NESRGB as you said. In my case, I removed them from the NESRGB. You'll want to leave J8 on the NESRGB open as well, which I believe sets you up for TTL c-sync output (since this is what the cable expects). I've not had any issues with this setup.
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

thebigcheese wrote:
Larrs888 wrote:Sorry guys I hope you can help, I’ve tried searching and I just need some confirmation please. Can I use an NTSC SNES RGB scart cable for the NES RGB in an AV Famicom that is wired for 470 c-sync with the 3 220uf capacitors removed from the scart head or remove them from the NES RGB board and bridge the connections like in Voltar’s video.

This is the one here:

I use mine with an off-the-shelf SNES cable, much like you linked to there. You can either remove the components from the cable or the NESRGB as you said. In my case, I removed them from the NESRGB. You'll want to leave J8 on the NESRGB open as well, which I believe sets you up for TTL c-sync output (since this is what the cable expects). I've not had any issues with this setup.
Thanks for the reply, I’ve tried to read up on TTL sync and think I’m ok with it. I was confused because RGC UK have changed their csync options from a month back and TTL pass through isn’t an option anymore. I’ll orde the 470 and ask the installer to set TTL output and to remove the caps:)
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

heya hardware ppl, is there a "best location" to mount the extra voltage regulator that comes with the mod?

i'm to the point where i'm trying to figure out where to put what and i'd like to avoid cramming it somewhere it's going to be pressed onto anything.

thanks fer any help. :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

vol.2 wrote:heya hardware ppl, is there a "best location" to mount the extra voltage regulator that comes with the mod?

i'm to the point where i'm trying to figure out where to put what and i'd like to avoid cramming it somewhere it's going to be pressed onto anything.

My understanding is that that voltage regulator is intended to directly replace the stock one.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

nmalinoski wrote:
vol.2 wrote:heya hardware ppl, is there a "best location" to mount the extra voltage regulator that comes with the mod?

My understanding is that that voltage regulator is intended to directly replace the stock one.
i believe you are thinking of the re-cap kit, which contains a replacement. the NESRGB kit has an auxiliary VR that is intended to take strain off of the main one during use in order to prevent overheating.
flamie666

Post by flamie666 »

You may replace the stock linear regulator for the L78S05C. It has a 2A capacity at 5V, more than enough for a NES with a NESRGB.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

flamie666 wrote:You may replace the stock linear regulator for the L78S05C. It has a 2A capacity at 5V, more than enough for a NES with a NESRGB.
the statement was more about the "intention" of including the extra voltage regulator. time clearly states that "2. Solder wires to the voltage regulator. Check the wiring diagram for details. Both ground wires must be soldered - one is for the NESRGB board and other for connection to the internal NES voltage regulator."

and shown on his wiring diagram here: https://etim.net.au/nesrgb/installation ... am-NES.pdf

is ins/outs to and from the stock VR. to me, that is intention beyond shadow of a doubt to use both. the explanation given by tim is that using one VR heats up the area where the stock VR lives too much for the caps in that spot and could lead to premature cap failure
mrwokn

Post by mrwokn »

I just finished installing my NESRGB on my NES toploader. I connected it to a nintendo multiport but I am unable to get mono sound out of the NESRGB board. I have the Audio Output (O) connected to multiport pin 11 but still no audio. Im using a retro gaming cables SNES SCART and audio is coming through on my SNES.
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

mrwokn wrote:I just finished installing my NESRGB on my NES toploader. I connected it to a nintendo multiport but I am unable to get mono sound out of the NESRGB board. I have the Audio Output (O) connected to multiport pin 11 but still no audio. Im using a retro gaming cables SNES SCART and audio is coming through on my SNES.
First you need to run a wire from resistor R4 to Audio Input A and another one from resistor R5 to Audio Input B.
Optional: If you want the famicom expansion audio, install 47k ohm resistor on EXP input on NESRGB board and run a wire from cartridge's pin 51 to this resistor.
Digital Dragon

Post by Digital Dragon »

@Larrs888 This may be too late, but i got a PAL NES Frontloader, AV Famicom and RGB N64 from oldskoolconsoles pre-modded. The modwork is clean and well done, can't fault anything. His prices are very reasonable too. The consoles were in decent condition and well packaged so i think sending yours in would be fine.

However, the only problem i found is the way they were hooked up to the multi outs. Both AV FC and N64 had composite cut (as must be done for these mods) and then had TTL Csync wired to them. Which means anyone using a standard sync-on-composite scart cable, or hell even a composite RCA cable would be sending TTL Csync to their tv. I was worried about this till i found out the supposed "TTL" Csync of the NES and N64 RGB boards actually only give about 0.7Vp-p over 75ohms (which is within 75ohm spec), as apposed to something like 2.5Vp-p which could cause damage. Also while the N64 had TTL wired to the composite pin, CS75 was wired to pin 3, which means someone using an NTSC SNES CSYNC Cable would be dropping 75ohm level csync over a 470ohm resistor.

After querying all this with him, and suggesting he just try and match the NTSC SNES in terms of sync output options, he got back to me thanking me fir my help and saying he'd take it on board, very nice guy. Even helped me more recently identify why my PAL frontloader had weird interference all over the screen (turned out to be a power issue, damn crappy NES regulator.) Would reccomend getting a 9v 2a psu if anyone encounters any issues, before ripping apart their NES RGB board on a wild goose chase.

Anyway where was i? Yes very good modder, just maybe tell him how you want it hooked up. Hope this is helpfull, it's my first post here, (hello everyone) made an account just cause i can finally answer something :D
I've attached some photos of his modwork.

https://i.imgur.com/y4Hp0dx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Rt0F1ig.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yFcgG3x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Y3ydqk1.jpg
Digital Dragon

Post by Digital Dragon »

Need some help, im trying to capture my NESRGB. My setup is

AV Famicom > OSSC > Elgato Cam Link > OBS

All other consoles work in this setup but something about the AV Famicom makes it not work. Either the 60.08Hz or the short Hsync every 2 frame thing the NES does. I can get an image but it jumps left and right like a mad thing. Ive tried all kinds of OSSC modes and settings, nothings worked. Normally i disconect in 10 seconds of trying a new setting, but once i let it run for 2 minutes it crashed my PC. Havent seen a blue screen of death since XP, but blue screen of death looks pretty slick in Windows 10.

Has anyone had similar issues, and had luck with a particular setting with the OSSC or in OBS?

Thanks
pommel_jewel

Post by pommel_jewel »

EDIT: Oops, double post.
Last edited by pommel_jewel on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pommel_jewel

Post by pommel_jewel »

Hello!

I had a little accident while putting together Tim's custom SCART cable for my NESRGB mod, and lifted pad number 2. I'm not super experienced with electronics, but I followed the trace and it seems like it leads to a via on one of the resistor legs. Can I save this circuit by running a cable from the SCART pin 2 (on the pin block) to this via, like I've done in this picture?

Thanks in advance.

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

pommel_jewel wrote:Hello!

I had a little accident while putting together Tim's custom SCART cable for my NESRGB mod, and lifted pad number 2. I'm not super experienced with electronics, but I followed the trace and it seems like it leads to a via on one of the resistor legs. Can I save this circuit by running a cable from the SCART pin 2 (on the pin block) to this via, like I've done in this picture?

Thanks in advance.

Scart pin 2 is R Audio input and id bet good money it doesn't go to that resistor.
Double check its path, it should be a connection to the R audio on the Din via the 3.5mm jack.
pommel_jewel

Post by pommel_jewel »

You're right, silly me! I didn't follow the trace accurately. Will re-wire accordingly. Thanks!
gounghoul

Post by gounghoul »

Hello,

I have an issue with my nesrgb : in some games the screen can get really dark, then bright again, then dark. It depends the part of the again.

This is kirby for exemple:

first screen is dark, next screen is normal.

Some games are unaffected

Console is a famicom AV, cable is gamecube cable from retrogamingcable.uk

Soldering is fine imo, not my first mod. Palettes switch is working.
gounghoul

Post by gounghoul »

Hello,

I have an issue with my nesrgb installation: in some games the screen can get really dark in some parts, then bright again and then dark on the next screen. Some games are unaffected.

Here is kirby for exemple :

First screen is dark

Next screen is fine

Console is a Famicom AV, gamecube cable from retrogamingcable.co.uk, original cart.

Soldering is fine imo, this is not my first mod.

Any help please ?
Danexmurder

Post by Danexmurder »

I just started in on my NESRGB mod today. I got the PPU out with a little trouble. No broken pins or anything though. There were a few particularly stubborn pins but I managed to finally get them out as well. When I installed the 40 pin socket I couldn't get the solder to flow all the way through to the other side on a few pins. Thy're all good on the under side of the board. Will this be a problem or do I need to try to add some solder from the top side?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Danexmurder wrote:I just started in on my NESRGB mod today. I got the PPU out with a little trouble. No broken pins or anything though. There were a few particularly stubborn pins but I managed to finally get them out as well. When I installed the 40 pin socket I couldn't get the solder to flow all the way through to the other side on a few pins. Thy're all good on the under side of the board. Will this be a problem or do I need to try to add some solder from the top side?
Add flux? :P
sirlemonhead

Post by sirlemonhead »

Is it possible to install and fit one of these in a frontloader, with the PPU socketed on the NESRGB but also having the CPU on the mainboard in a socket?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

sirlemonhead wrote:Is it possible to install and fit one of these in a frontloader, with the PPU socketed on the NESRGB but also having the CPU on the mainboard in a socket?
Currently, no. As I understand it, the mainboard in the frontloaders is inverted, so the surface with the PPU and CPU is facing downward, and there simply isn't enough clearance between the mainboard and the RF shield to allow for the PPU or CPU to be socketed.

It might be possible to develop a no-cut mod, similar to the one now available for the toploader and AV famicom. At the very least, it would need to raise the mainboard maybe a centimeter/half an inch from its normal position. To accommodate a socketed PPU/CPU for a NES RGB, the mod would also need to increase the clearance between the mainboard and the RF shield, but I'm not sure what would be needed to keep it functional; an entire replacement RF shield, or just a 1cm/0.5in tall stamped metal square?
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

gounghoul wrote:Hello,

I have an issue with my nesrgb installation: in some games the screen can get really dark in some parts, then bright again and then dark on the next screen. Some games are unaffected.

Here is kirby for exemple :

First screen is dark

Next screen is fine

Console is a Famicom AV, gamecube cable from retrogamingcable.co.uk, original cart.

Soldering is fine imo, this is not my first mod.

Any help please ?
You first need to find out whether the problem is the NES or the tv. Have you tried hooking the NES up to another tv to see if the problem persists?
Last edited by Makinx on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

sirlemonhead wrote:Is it possible to install and fit one of these in a frontloader, with the PPU socketed on the NESRGB but also having the CPU on the mainboard in a socket?
Yes. Use dual wipe sockets, not machine pin sockets, and dispense with the RF shielding.
pommel_jewel

Post by pommel_jewel »

Hello again champions!

NESRGB is up and running flawlessly, just one issue!

The RGB output works perfectly, but look what’s happened to the composite out. Just white/gray silhouettes.

Any idea what might be causing this? Was thinking maybe it was a known issue with a certain solder joint etc. I should add that I also recapped my NES (PAL frontloader) when doing the mod.

Thanks in advance, have a nice weekend all.

Image Image
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

pommel_jewel wrote:The RGB output works perfectly, but look what’s happened to the composite out. Just white/gray silhouettes.

Any idea what might be causing this?
The RGB output causes this, it's normal. If you have installed a palette selection switch, you should have one setting where the RGB output turns off and the composite output is colored again, although the console may need to be reset first.