NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vol.2

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by vol.2 »

Guspaz wrote: trp-retromods.ca has them for $5 CAD for the PCB (hard gold with beveled edge) and $5 CAD for the plastic housing, either board-mount (as a drop-in replacement) or panel mount (for modding projects), including the screw and the headers.

It's not factory-look, though, it's home 3D printed, but for that price, and considering that he's got the PCB and 3D models up for download to make yourself, it's hard to complain.
Thats is a very good deal for the PCB, thanks for posting it. :mrgreen:
The housing part is makerbot or similar which I guess is okay if you're not being picky at all, but it's a the very low end of the 3D printing material spectrum. The Retrofix part is a nylon PA12 part and will hold up much better. In fact, with PA12, you can lightly sand it down and spray paint it to make it look more or less exactly like the NES plastic if you wanted to be thorough. The makerbot style plastic doesn't sand and paint very well as the layers are wide and leave gaps in between the interior. However, if you are skilled, it's possible to sand it, coat it in epoxy, and then sand it again. It's a huge pain in the ass, but you could achieve similar results.
rey_1178

Post by rey_1178 »

Konsolkongen wrote:Is this an LCD-tv? Many VA type panels have this slight trail after moving objects. Depends heavily on the colors of the object and the background how visible this is.
It is an LCD yes. Should I try on another screen? The thing is that the other RGB consoles I have don't do this on this TV.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Sample&Hold blur + Slow low end transitions. (Typically from Pure black or near black to higher values. Something common with NES games)

Usually with VA panels they use too much overdrive which causes overshoot on these transitions causing inverse ghosting or a colored trail. (Purple trailing is common) In addition to sometimes having slower response times by default in the low end leads a combo of light smearing+overshoot.
The same can happen with IPS panels too, but without the smearing.

Once you know what it is, you just have to sort of get used to it. Unless you want to sift through buying and returning TVs.
rey_1178

Post by rey_1178 »

Thanks guys,that's a relief. I had purchased this morning another ppu in case something had happened to it during removal. Guess I'll put it away in case I need it in the future.

Thanks again everyone.

Rey
keropi

Post by keropi »

Konsolkongen wrote:There are a few errors in his guide. On this previous page of this tread you can read how to do it right :)
just one more quick Q, is the Version 1.9A de-jitter firmware fixed now and safe to use? or still has the same clock issue?
thanks!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I don’t know. Tim never commented on this issue, so I doubt it.
Chris230291

Post by Chris230291 »

Hi. I have a 2019 version of this and I am very impressed with the video from my AV Famicom.
I have no idea how to wire up the audio though.
Been browsing the forum and all the images seem to be dead now.
Can anyone show me how to get the enhanced audio?

Thanks,
Chris
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Chris230291 wrote:Hi. I have a 2019 version of this and I am very impressed with the video from my AV Famicom.
I have no idea how to wire up the audio though.
Been browsing the forum and all the images seem to be dead now.
Can anyone show me how to get the enhanced audio?

Thanks,
Chris
I believe this explains it, but I'm not too familiar with how it all works. viewtopic.php?p=1115605#p1115605
keropi

Post by keropi »

Konsolkongen wrote:I don’t know. Tim never commented on this issue, so I doubt it.
also sent an email on the 20th , no reply yet but maybe he is on vacation
really want to do that dejitter mod but with the 1.9A pallete :lol:
keropi

Post by keropi »

I received a reply from Tim and now the 1.9A download is the correct version - a wrong file was uploaded.
So I think I'll go on with the mod now :mrgreen:
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Kewl! I think I left a JTAG connector hooked up inside my NES, so I might udate too. Good of Tim to adress this issue :)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

So even though I've bought three NESRGBs over the years, I've never gotten the voltage regulator mentioned in this guide with any of them:
https://etim.net.au/nesrgb/installation-nes/

I guess because I also ordered adapters for top loader consoles (two of my installations are for those models), but is that really a reason to leave out a part of the base kit? (especially when I'm already paying a little extra).

I installed one of them in a PAL Frontloader, and asked a friend about the missing regulator, and he told me just to short the J3 jumper and don't worry about it, because it's not really needed.
And sure enough, it's still working without the regulator, and it looks great, but now I'm really worried about the potential implications, because since installing it I've seen other sources claiming that it's absolutely necessary for front loader consoles.

I guess what I want to know is:
  • What are the potential consequences? This console is going to be used for an event where it'll be left running at least 10 hours straight, which is where I imagine it could make a difference?
  • Can I pick up an easy-to-find replacement component (like one of those simple three-legged regulators, though a SMD chip can suffice in lack of alternatives), to perform the same job if necessary? Obviously the answer is yes, but I don't have the knowledge to know what to look for.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

You are looking for a 5v L7805.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Would a UA7805P or UA7805C work? I have literally no idea what the difference is, but those two are available at a local brick and mortar store. (EDIT: Seems the only difference is the manufacturer? One is 1A, and the other 1.5A though)

Also still in the mood for a reply to the former question :)
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The heatsink on the frontloader is small, and adding extra load puts it out of spec.

You could add the regulator you listed its a 1.5amp version so more than enough for the NESRGB board.

Or you could replace the original regulator with a 2 amp one that is newer/more efficient and it will probably work just as well.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'd rather not mess with the original voltage regulator unless I have to.

So I just get that 7805 and chain it with the NES's regulator similar to this diagram, and screw it into the console's RF shield and it's a done deal?
EDIT: And disconnect the J3 jumper, obviously...

What about the two separate ground pins on the pictured regulator PCB? Any reason for that? I'd assume I could just connect both ground connections to the same pin on the 7805... But I don't want to risk shorting something I shouldn't.
keropi

Post by keropi »

Konsolkongen wrote:Kewl! I think I left a JTAG connector hooked up inside my NES, so I might udate too. Good of Tim to adress this issue :)
Tim is one of the few devs that actually gives a crap IMHO , he always replies and offers help - at least that is my experience with him and I am not even a big customer, I bought from him a smsfm ages ago and 2x nesrgb in 2015 or so
This counts very much, getting something and knowing the dev won't ignore you :mrgreen:
eclypse

Post by eclypse »

Long thread!

Last night I picked up a near mint nes from disc replay locally got $60. A bonus was the hidden zelda gold cart installed! Lol. System was sealed up in plastic.

Anyways, I bought it with the intend on modding for RGB out. Had no idea modding this would cost this much compared to other mods.

I have a 1985 Sony Trinitron KV-25XBR that has a ide shaped RGB input on the backside.
eclypse

Post by eclypse »

I've been using this tv with a RGB modded SNES mini and multi out to scart cable, genesis system using a din to scart cable and a core grafx with SDSS3 with scart cable all perfectly.

What mod should I use? Yes I like the idea of using a snes multi out connector as I've read on the nes. Then I can just swap systems on the same cable between the snes and nes.

Thanks for the help!
eclypse

Post by eclypse »

Sorry I had to break up my post into 2 messages cause using my phone for this forum covers up the submit button to post! Crazy. :/
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

eclypse wrote:What mod should I use? Yes I like the idea of using a snes multi out connector as I've read on the nes. Then I can just swap systems on the same cable between the snes and nes.
The NESRGB is really the best solution out there. You can use a SNES multi out connector with it that way you can use your SNES cable with your NES.

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sumez wrote: So I just get that 7805 and chain it with the NES's regulator similar to this diagram, and screw it into the console's RF shield and it's a done deal?
EDIT: And disconnect the J3 jumper, obviously...

What about the two separate ground pins on the pictured regulator PCB? Any reason for that? I'd assume I could just connect both ground connections to the same pin on the 7805... But I don't want to risk shorting something I shouldn't.
Anyone able to clarify?
Filurkatten

Post by Filurkatten »

Hi.

I got some problems with my NESRGB install in my PAL NES.
I have the newer version from this year.

All I get on the tv is a black screen and no audio.
When I first tried I actually got it working great, for about 4-5 minutes then the graphics got scrambled and it all stopped working.

I have checked continuity from pcb, cartconnector and ppu also followed circuit diagrams to the cpu.
I tried desolder the CPU and PPU from the modded NES and tried it in another motherboard to verify the chips. They work great.
The NESRGB, CPU and PPU get's power. 4.97V that should be enough?

One thing I noticed is that I dont get continuity from the pcb to the PPU pin 18 on the NESRGB, from the pinout on tims website I can see that it should have continuity there but the pinout is for an olderversion of the board and from what I understand there was something with a dejitter function on the newer one?

It's worth saying I'm also using bortis NES/IO board to replace the RF box and to get a multiout port.
Continuity from the NES RGB is what it should be to the port aswell.
The palletswitching mechanics of bortis board seems to work, I meassured with an multimeter and can see that it does switch the pallet switch input on the NESRGB board.

So, is there any other tests you suggest me trying to verify if the NESRGB board is working?
I dont have any ocilloscope or logicprobes at hand, only the multimeter.

I can provide pictures later today after work.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

eclypse wrote:Sorry I had to break up my post into 2 messages cause using my phone for this forum covers up the submit button to post! Crazy. :/
NESRGB looks fantastic. It's not an easy mod tho. It's a pain in the a$$ to remove the PPU chip from the motherboard. They sunk a battleship's worth of solder into the vias.
relo999

Post by relo999 »

I got some problems with my NESRGB install in my Famicom and got the most recent version of the board.

All I get on the tv is a blank screen with scrolling static on my crt (and no picture on my LCD). I only get something of a picture on TTL composite sync which looks like a picture missing sync (and green) on my CRT. Beyond that I do get proper audio.

Am I missing something? I checked the guide multiple times if everything is correct and checked all wired connections with a multimeter which all have continuity.
Also what does JP9 do? As I can't find any info on that.

I tried making it so the wires are easily followable as most are black kynar. On the picture there are also yellow wires, which are from my fourscore famicom mod.

Update: fixed it, had put the connectors of the scart wrong way round.
Last edited by relo999 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

relo999 wrote:Also what does JP9 do? As I can't find any info on that.
viletim wrote:
Link83 wrote: Also, might there be a jumper to enable/disable the THS7374's LPF? and what is the stock/default selection? (I could be mistaken but I believe most video encoders like the BH7236AF have a built-in LPF as standard?)
The filter in the THS7374 is disabled by default but you can enable it by closing solder jumper J9 if you like.
shiftednes

Post by shiftednes »

This post is regarding the pallete options in the NESRGB boards:

In the NESRGB instructions under "Features" (https://etim.net.au/nesrgb/) it states the "Natural" pallete is from the Nestopia rom (I assume the YUV pallete?), Improved is from FCEUX (also from nestopia) and garrish is from the Playchoice PPU. However, in the newer "Software and Errata" page (https://etim.net.au/nesrgb/background_fault/) it states that for firmware version 1.8 the unsaturated-V6 pallete (firebrandx) was used from June 2016-Feb 2019 rather than the Nestopia pallete (this also seems to be the final official firmware for the revision 1.x boards). I am assuming the "Software and Errata" page is correct and the other page just hasn't ever been updated.

I don't understand why pallete names were changed in the first place. It makes it confusing especially now when different palletes are referenced on different pages. Also, now the version 2.x boards (and the 1.x dejitter mod) use a completely different pallete called "Smooth" which is apparently the new "Natural" pallete? Is smooth like an updated Unsaturated-V6? And is the Sony CXA now garrish?

I bought my kit in March of 2018 so I think I have the unsaturated- V6 pallete rather than the YUV but just wanted to be sure.
Burt_Lancaster

Post by Burt_Lancaster »

Hi everyone,

I recently had installed an RGB board on an American NES toploader. At first the image looks good on my B&O MX7000, but after a few minutes some pixels start to "blink". Specially on static screens or backgrounds.

Find below some YouTube links I created

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKdjvy25-xc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oau9obYw3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHltXcENbL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLDPcQNikOo

I am using the retrogamingcables scart ntsc for multi av out and also had the transistor removed (the one that supposedly caused white artifacts with everdrive)

The modder thinks this a sync interference problem. I have no idea. I just wanted to double check with the community on case there is anything we are missing. Thanks!
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Burt_Lancaster wrote:I recently had installed an RGB board on an American NES toploader. At first the image looks good on my B&O MX7000, but after a few minutes some pixels start to "blink". Specially on static screens or backgrounds.
You need to remove the Q1 composite transistor from the NES motherboard, its mentioned somewhere in this thread.
FBX

Post by FBX »

shiftednes wrote:This post is regarding the pallete options in the NESRGB boards:

I don't understand why pallete names were changed in the first place. It makes it confusing especially now when different palletes are referenced on different pages. Also, now the version 2.x boards (and the 1.x dejitter mod) use a completely different pallete called "Smooth" which is apparently the new "Natural" pallete? Is smooth like an updated Unsaturated-V6? And is the Sony CXA now garrish?
My page has definitions and downloads of currently supported firmware files for both board versions here:

http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html