NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kamiboy

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by kamiboy »

keropi wrote:
kamiboy wrote:No, c-sync already gives you combined sync.
I know but it does not work for me with the framemeister... that's why I am looking to try stuff
looks like this is a dead end...
It works for other people, so the problem is not with the c-sync, frame meister or the NESRGB.
keropi

Post by keropi »

There is at least one other person here that can't get c-sync to work with the framemeister , he also has a famicomAV IIRC.
I have tried a test sync circuit that Tim told me that replaces the onboard sync separator but it did not change anything... all that was months ago and documented somewhere in this thread.

The h+v sync combine idea came from the DC, I had to do that to get a stable picture, dc's own c-sync did not work for me.
At any rate since H+V signals are not available somewhere on the nesrgb then this is going nowhere :mrgreen:
antron

Post by antron »

All timing comes from the PPU video. If the NESRGB had H and V anywhere it would be by making it, similar to the instructions I posted.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

keropi wrote:There is at least one other person here that can't get c-sync to work with the framemeister , he also has a famicomAV IIRC.
I have tried a test sync circuit that Tim told me that replaces the onboard sync separator but it did not change anything... all that was months ago and documented somewhere in this thread.

The h+v sync combine idea came from the DC, I had to do that to get a stable picture, dc's own c-sync did not work for me.
At any rate since H+V signals are not available somewhere on the nesrgb then this is going nowhere :mrgreen:
That is me. C-sync has issues on my AV Famicom. I also have a toploader NES that has no issues with c-sync.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

mickcris wrote:
keropi wrote:There is at least one other person here that can't get c-sync to work with the framemeister , he also has a famicomAV IIRC.

That is me. C-sync has issues on my AV Famicom. I also have a toploader NES that has no issues with c-sync.
What version of the NESRGB are you using? Did you remove the transistor on the AV Famicom that is normally connected to PPU pin 21 (video output)?
keropi

Post by keropi »

^ latest version fw from the 2nd batch.
did not remove any transistor , isn't that suppose to fix the white dots problem? (not having them btw)
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

RGB32E wrote:
mickcris wrote:

What version of the NESRGB are you using? Did you remove the transistor on the AV Famicom that is normally connected to PPU pin 21 (video output)?
Mine probably still has the transistor also. Gametechus installed mine. I think mine was 2nd batch also. There is a picture of my board back on page 80.
keropi

Post by keropi »

is it Q1 or Q2 that we are talking about?

IIRC I did try with C5 removed, I believe it's for the composite output and did nothing to fix the problem.
Last edited by keropi on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

I'm referring to Q1, which has been re-labeled as Q2 in your picture. Check the PCB labeling. :p
keropi

Post by keropi »

LOL, fixed the pic now
I'll try that in a couple of days and report back
Uzumaki

Post by Uzumaki »

Hey guys, I've got a RGBNES question. I have a front loading NES with the RGBNES board installed and working. I bought an AV Famicom and I want to transplant the RGBNES into that from the NES. Do I have to desolder the PPU from the NESRGB board or can I transplant the RGBNES with NTSC NES PPU (RP2C02) into the AV Famicom and just buy the adapter board?

I also noticed in the AV Famicom writeup he didn't use the external voltage regulator. I don't need it then, right?
Jeppen

Post by Jeppen »

cyborc wrote:
Jeppen wrote:I bought 2x NESRGB (second batch if it matters).

One is installed in a European Frontloader, the other in a 1983 Japanese Famicom.

Both share the same problem of faint flickering in the background of some colors, it looks a lot like a power issue/interference.

Has anybody had the same problem?

I'm starting to wonder if it is the NESRGB external voltage regulator that is the crook here,
has anyone tried another external volt reg other than the one from Tim and seen a difference?

are you using an xrgb mini? I've noticed this using my NTSC front loader on the mini and im not using the extra voltage reg. When I played it on a CRT I didn't notice any flickering.
Yeah i'm using the XRGB mini Framemeister, oh really?
So this might be a problem/setting with the XRGB mini then?

Anyone else had this happen?
keropi

Post by keropi »

^ looks like the problem I had:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkKFgF7k3s8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UTWT6Fc_vA

Are you getting the same? CRT was fine, LCD was like this in some colors, most notably light blue backgrounds.
This is from a famicomAV directly connected to the TV via RGB.
Even with the framemeister I had problems: I had to use composite for sync, anything else and I was getting no picture.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Uzumaki wrote:Hey guys, I've got a RGBNES question. I have a front loading NES with the RGBNES board installed and working. I bought an AV Famicom and I want to transplant the RGBNES into that from the NES. Do I have to desolder the PPU from the NESRGB board or can I transplant the RGBNES with NTSC NES PPU (RP2C02) into the AV Famicom and just buy the adapter board?

I also noticed in the AV Famicom writeup he didn't use the external voltage regulator. I don't need it then, right?
It should work with front loader PPU. Both are NTSC. Since you won't be using external regulator, you'll need to change pin on NESRGB.
tacoboy42

Post by tacoboy42 »

Currently trying to remove the PPU from a front loader but am having some trouble, I am using solder sucker but its not working well. what is the easiest way to remove the PPU? do I need another tool? Thanks!
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

tacoboy42 wrote:Currently trying to remove the PPU from a front loader but am having some trouble, I am using solder sucker but its not working well. what is the easiest way to remove the PPU? do I need another tool? Thanks!
On all my NESRGB installs I used an Aoyue desoldering station, which usually gets the PPU out in a couple of minutes.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Some of us normal schmoes use a vaccuum sucker thing and a regular iron. The trick I've come up with is making sure every pin moves freely before trying to pull it. If there's a tiny bit of solder left, add more clean solder and it makes it easier to suck. You can also try heating from the chip side and sucking from the pin side.
viletim

Post by viletim »

I made a page about removing the PPU. Is there anything else I should include?

http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/remove_ic/
keropi

Post by keropi »

I have removed Q1 and it made no difference with either the framemeister or a direct tv connection, the same issues remain: the framemeister can't sync to a proper image and the tv has these flashes on top/bottom.

I tried using Luma as sync, the tv still had the issue but the framemeister syncs just fine to a nice picture. So it's something , at least removing Q1 helped with framemeister/luma :lol:
Last edited by keropi on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

keropi wrote:I have removed Q1 and it made no difference with either the framemeister or a direct tv connection, the same issues remain: the framemeister can't sync to a proper image and the tv has these flashes on top/bottom.

I tried using Luma as sync , the tv still had the issue but the framemeister syncs just fine to a nice picture. So it's something :lol:
Cool. Maybe ill probably move my c-sync wire over to luma too when I get a chance. Thanks for testing. :)
keropi

Post by keropi »

^ just remember to remove Q1 as well, maybe I did not write it clear in my previous post, luma as sync started working when Q1 was removed
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

keropi wrote:^ just remember to remove Q1 as well, maybe I did not write it clear in my previous post, luma as sync started working when Q1 was removed
Cool. Will do. Thanks.
tacoboy42

Post by tacoboy42 »

Thanks for the help, ended up getting it out last night, accidentally broke a pin in the process but was able to patch it, got everything in and working like a charm!

One issue but not enough for me to worry about is that the original composite on the side now only outputs grey, composite through the nes rgb board (V) works fine.
antron

Post by antron »

tacoboy42 wrote: One issue but not enough for me to worry about is that the original composite on the side now only outputs grey, composite through the nes rgb board (V) works fine.
that's normal behavior for when the RGBNES is engaged. If you put a switch on the palette pins and turn off the NESRGB the original composite will function as normal.
tacoboy42

Post by tacoboy42 »

antron wrote:
tacoboy42 wrote: One issue but not enough for me to worry about is that the original composite on the side now only outputs grey, composite through the nes rgb board (V) works fine.
that's normal behavior for when the RGBNES is engaged. If you put a switch on the palette pins and turn off the NESRGB the original composite will function as normal.

ah got it, thanks!
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I dont own a framemeister I have a sony pvm. but id like to have my 8 pin mini din jacks wired properly for the framemeister anyway.

Does pin 5 on the framemeister jack get hooked up to 5v on the nesrgb or does pin 5 just stay disconnected?
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

mvsfan wrote:I dont own a framemeister I have a sony pvm. but id like to have my 8 pin mini din jacks wired properly for the framemeister anyway.

Does pin 5 on the framemeister jack get hooked up to 5v on the nesrgb or does pin 5 just stay disconnected?
The Frameister doesn't use the 5v pin.
keropi

Post by keropi »

mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

thanks. since it doesnt use the 5v pin will it hurt anything if its hooked up in the nes?

id like to hook it up because scart tvs do use the 5v.
keropi

Post by keropi »

^ nope it won't hurt anything as long as you don't make a mistake and connect 5v to any of the signals that the framemeister uses.
In the framemeister female plug only the signals it needs are connected, all other pins are floating.