NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kamiboy

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by kamiboy »

I didnt bother with it on my personal AV Famicom as I thought that games sounded fine with stock audio, both via retail copies as well as the N8.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

ApolloBoy wrote:
Pasky wrote:Not worth it in my opinion, almost no difference.
Seriously?
Why is this so shocking? Your reaction is as if I'm missing out on some Dolby 5.1 surround sound produced by the NESRGB. They both just sound like a NES. Having to damage the PCB of the AV Famicom removing the trace for audio and replacing it with the NESRGB isn't worth it in my opinion.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

does anyone know how well the small tenma solder fume extractors work? Im thinking about buying one.
Zets13

Post by Zets13 »

AV Famicom stock expansion audio mixing levels sound really bad. The expansion audio sounds blast out over everything else, at least with original/non-ED games.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

I guess I never understood how the original hardware mixes sound badly, when well.... it's the original. Unless the AV Famicom is mixed differently from a regular famicom? If that's the case, I understand then since I've never heard an original famicom's expansion audio (or played on one). Otherwise it's just your opinion that it's mixed badly, since the original would be the standard, since games were made and designed around that particular mix.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Pasky wrote:Unless the AV Famicom is mixed differently from a regular famicom?
Yes, that's been established on other forums. It's especially jarring on Akumajou Densetsu since the VRC6 totally overpowers the 2A03 audio.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

I see, I understand now.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

I've played Akumajo on my AV Famicom, a Titler and heard the soundtrack digitally. Nothing about either stroke me as sounding bad, or odd, only fantastic.

Maybe a side by side would reveal differences, but I guess ignorance is bliss.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

kamiboy wrote:I've played Akumajo on my AV Famicom, a Titler and heard the soundtrack digitally. Nothing about either stroke me as sounding bad, or odd, only fantastic.
Is that with the real cart or the Everdrive?
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Ya, I can only judge from emulator comparison, but playing it on my av famicom, it sounds fine. I don't have an authentic CVIII cart. But I do have Madara, and it sounds fine to me compared to emu.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

ApolloBoy wrote: Is that with the real cart or the Everdrive?
On the Titler, cart, on the AV Famicom, both.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

I'm in the process of going through the Twin Famicom's (cartridge side) audio.

The audio circuit is a fu#$#$! mess. Not only is it too quiet, but expansion audio is overwhelmed by the 2A03.
Jeppen

Post by Jeppen »

Original Famicom installation

Should the Video PPU pin 21 be cut like the other PPU pins, or simply soldered to it, but otherwise left untouched?
Zets13

Post by Zets13 »

The games I have that I used to judge are Link no Bouken and YK: DokiDoki Panic. In the first one the title theme sounds really odd when the expanded audio part kicks in (it kinda drowns out the rest) and in YK:DDP certain sound effects that utilize the additional audio are strikingly loud (the egg shooting sound effect in particular comes to mind). Sure, I guess it could be meant to be that way, but to my ear using two 47kohm resistors to mix sounds much better than how it was originally (one 47kohm sounded the same).

I should note that this is with an original FDS with an AV Famicom. Never used an Everdrive.
ms06fz

Post by ms06fz »

Jeppen wrote:Original Famicom installation

Should the Video PPU pin 21 be cut like the other PPU pins, or simply soldered to it, but otherwise left untouched?
Either way should work. NESRGB needs access to the PPU's composite in order to get one of the data bits identifying the proper color for each pixel. It doesn't need to substitute an alternate signal on that line or anything like that.

In a typical front-loader NES install, pin 21 on the PPU is left connected to its original circuit path on the main board - which leaves the original composite outputs on the side of the machine as a way to access the original composite signal (either when NESRGB is turned off, for a "stock" video image, or when NESRGB is turned on, to check what kind of signal the PPU is giving to NESRGB) - that would be equivalent to tapping pin21 without severing its original connection.
Bancho

Post by Bancho »

Hi Guys,

I've decided I don't feel like risking my Twin Famicom to the wrath of my rubbish soldering iron. Is there anyone in the UK that can fit a NESRGB to a Twin Famicom?

I have the board, I just need to get the adapter board as I was originally going to have it fitted to a AV fami but decided to go for a Twin instead.

Thanks
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Pasky wrote: Having to damage the PCB of the AV Famicom removing the trace for audio and replacing it with the NESRGB isn't worth it in my opinion.
No need to cut any traces, just remove the 2 1uF caps on the audio signals coming off the cpu.
Same with the composite signal, remove the 220uF cap, which kinda has to be done to clear the nesrgb anyway, and simply feed nesrgb composite to the multi and you're good to go.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Interesting, I didn't know this. Thanks for that information.
mufunyo

Post by mufunyo »

Pasky wrote:Having to damage the PCB of the AV Famicom removing the trace for audio and replacing it with the NESRGB isn't worth it in my opinion.
You need to "damage" the PCB of the AV Famicom to cut the composite line from the PPU to the multi-out anyway.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

No you don't. You can remove the transistor, or as gametech-US said, remove the capacitor. It was my understanding that you had to cut the actual trace to do it on an AV Famicom for audio.
mufunyo

Post by mufunyo »

Pasky wrote:No you don't. You can remove the transistor, or as gametech-US said, remove the capacitor. It was my understanding that you had to cut the actual trace to do it on an AV Famicom for audio.
I meant composite video.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

mufunyo wrote:
Pasky wrote:No you don't. You can remove the transistor, or as gametech-US said, remove the capacitor. It was my understanding that you had to cut the actual trace to do it on an AV Famicom for audio.
I meant composite video.
I'm talking about composite video, it's unnecessary to damage the PCB by cutting any traces, all you need to do is remove the transistor or the caps as I said earlier.
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

game-tech.us wrote:
Pasky wrote: Having to damage the PCB of the AV Famicom removing the trace for audio and replacing it with the NESRGB isn't worth it in my opinion.
No need to cut any traces, just remove the 2 1uF caps on the audio signals coming off the cpu.
Same with the composite signal, remove the 220uF cap, which kinda has to be done to clear the nesrgb anyway, and simply feed nesrgb composite to the multi and you're good to go.
Were we supposed to cut traces or otherwise sever the original circuit by removing a component when pulling audio from a frontloading NES? I had just connected pins 1 and 2 of the CPU to the NESRGB audio a and b pads, without disturbing the original audio circuit.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

ive never cut audio traces in the frontloader - but you may get a cleaner or louder sound out of it if you do that. *shrugs* i never tried it.
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, if it would cut down on noise. I can't really hear any at normal volume levels, but it's definitely there when you turn it up. Anybody?
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I dont see the nes as being a buzz-heavy system. the small amount it has just isnt that bad.

compared to the nes the SNES sounds like it has bees living in it over scart.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

rCadeGaming wrote:Were we supposed to cut traces or otherwise sever the original circuit by removing a component when pulling audio from a frontloading NES? I had just connected pins 1 and 2 of the CPU to the NESRGB audio a and b pads, without disturbing the original audio circuit.
No, the AV Famicom already has a multiout connector, so since you're using the same connector, you have to disable the original audio circuit.

On the NES Front loader and Top loader, you are making new connectors, not using the existing ones, so there's no need to disable the original audio circuit.

I have not had a problem with the SNES's audio circuit because I have mine modded for S/PDIF, so it's crystal clear. But the NES audio circuit, with and without the NESRGB, is pretty noisy, even if you use a separate audio cable. I like to crank my music loud, so it's pretty obvious to me unfortunately.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

i heard that the snes sounds really good if you mod it for spdif and then convert it back to analog.

I dont own any audio equipment with spdif so i wouldnt have a choice there. My stereo does the job.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Because the NES doesn't naturally have it, is the CSYNC derived from the composite output?
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Einzelherz wrote:Because the NES doesn't naturally have it, is the CSYNC derived from the composite output?

The NESRGB has an LM1881 on-board that strips the NES' composite video to produce composite-sync.