NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
seshpilot

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by seshpilot »

Here's where I'm currently at:

-Console still blinks at startup on 7 but seems to be starting with audio. Video image still boots to 0.
-When I check the composite output, I get audio and video (a bit garbled looking though):

When I attempt to use the component output however, no matter which way I try to sync (CS, V, C, or Y), this is all I get:

Any thoughts?
BambooShadow

Post by BambooShadow »

seshpilot wrote:Here's where I'm currently at:

-Console still blinks at startup on 7 but seems to be starting with audio. Video image still boots to 0.
-When I check the composite output, I get audio and video (a bit garbled looking though):

When I attempt to use the component output however, no matter which way I try to sync (CS, V, C, or Y), this is all I get:

Any thoughts?
As long as the NESRGB-LED 0 is flashing, it means that the NESRGB-board is off and therefore the native Composite Video output works.
Once the NESRGB-board is turned on (LED 1-6 flashing), the native Composite Video output will turn into a monochrome-esque signal.

That being said, as long as your NESRGB-LED 0 is flashing, you won't get any video-output from the NESRGB-board. So it doesn't matter whether you try to use CS, V, C or Y (C=Chroma doesn't carry Sync btw). As long as the NESRGB is off, there is no video output to be expected.
seshpilot

Post by seshpilot »

Bad news gang. Just got this email from Tim:
There's a problem with the latest batch of NESRGB boards. It only occurs
when installed on some front loading NES consoles. The palette fails to
load and the NESRGB is disabled on power up (LED 0 lit). I have found
somebody local with this problem and will borrow his console this week
and investigate.

Kinda frustrating since I bought 2 and they are unusable for me ATM
starlightk7

Post by starlightk7 »

seshpilot wrote:Bad news gang. Just got this email from Tim:
and investigate.

Kinda feels like V4 has been a bit of a disaster... I have been happy with previous versions of the boards and this time I bought 5 of them hoping to do a full set in V4 - NES, Famicom, AV Famicom, Famicom Twin, and the Opentendo I'm building. But with all the issues that started popping up by the time they made it to me, I haven't installed them yet. I was quite surprised by this as I wasn't expecting this many breaking issues from a 4th generation product. I understand that these things happen, especially with complicated mods as there are many variations of the hardware out there. I'm trying to be as patient as possible, but I wish Tim would communicate with us more about the status of fixing these issues - or if they won't be fixable... let us know that at least too. At this point, I have a lot of money invested in this generation of boards so it would be nice to at least hear the occasional ping with status.

In the meantime, I ordered Krikzz's new gadget. I have mixed feelings about the approach compared to NESRGB, but at least I'll have a working system being plug & play. That will hold me over at least until this all gets sorted out.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

hawaplop

Post by hawaplop »

Is there a better way to get a hold of Tim than his etim account? Sent three emails since 11/3/22 with no success.
airainchoc

Post by airainchoc »

Hello,

For Christmas my wife bought me a NESRGB board, and I installed it semi successfully. It seems to have something like the "clock hardware bug" I found on V4 errata page.

My NES is a PAL FRA, with the CPU, PPU, and Crystal from a Famicom so it runs on 60Hz.

I already fixed the palette not setting bug (removing pin 22, 1k between 22 and 40, as per https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 1#p1511761 )
And added a 47pF (did not have more on hand) between 13 and 20

But I really don't know where to go for the "corrupted sprites", maybe you can help me ?

You'll find 3 exemple pictures bellow

Thanks for your help

Image Image Image
Stack3r

Post by Stack3r »

Good evening,

I recently installed the V4 RGB board in my NES front loader, at first I was having issues where these white lines would appear over black items or if the screen was scrolling. This was resolved by installing a 220pf to pins 13 and 20 on the bottom of the PPU and that resolved the issue. I haven’t messed around with my system in a while and now I’m going through Final Fantasy for the first time. I have noticed though after some time and if the screen flashes like during an attack every once and a while there will be these weird white lines show up and some black outlines will turn white. I’m not sure if this is how the game operates or what because I haven’t seen this issue in any other game.

This is how it’s supposed to look

Here are the white lines, notice them by the character names and before the perished dialogue
yatzr

Post by yatzr »

I just did an install of a 4.0 second batch (2238) in a US toploader that I'm having problems with and I'm hoping someone here has some ideas of things I could try.

The symptom right now is when I power the unit on, LEDs 0-7 flicker on for a brief moment, then go dark and there is no output whatsoever on video and audio.

I did a very basic install using the voultar multiout qsb kit with 3d printed panel from LaserBear.
I removed the rf module and old rear panel.
I installed the new panel and reinstalled the regulator heatsink.
I removed the ppu (I used a solder sucker, it was a clean removal with no lifted pads or broken traces).
Soldered in the socket to the motherboard and the adapter board to the nesrgb. I used my own dual leaf socket on the nesrgb board for the ppu.
I put the ppu into the nesrgb socket.
Soldered wires to cpu 1 and 2 for audio.
Soldered on the qsb and soldered the 2 wires for audio.
I bridged J3 and J5 on the NESRGB.
I bridged J10 since it said it was recommended.
I connected the flex cable from the qsb to the multiout panel.

At this point, I tested the console using an insurrection industries multiout scart cable (I use this cable successfully on an n64 already). I got a black screen, LED 0 was solid, LED 7 flashed for a few seconds then went solid.
I removed the ppu from the nesrgb, removed the nesrgb from the motherboard, unsoldered my audio wires from the qsb, and disconnected the flex cable. I poked around a lot with my multimeter to check all my soldered joints and connectivity from the ppu to everything else. Everything seemed to check out.
After looking over the documentation more closely, I think I was supposed to have hooked up at least something for the palette switch. I put it all back together, but also soldered a short wire from the palette 1 pad to the ground pad.

I tried turning the console on again, but then got the symptom I have now of all the LEDs flickering once very briefly and then going dark and never having any output. These are all the things I've tried since:
Disconnecting palette 1 from ground (which should've brought me back to where I was earlier)
Removing the PPU
Removing the flex cable
Unbridging J10
With and without a game plugged in
With and without a controller plugged in
With the original power supply and with a triad power supply
Reseating the ppu and the adapter board
All of these still got the same result of the LEDs flickering. I have confirmed that the nesrgb is getting 5v. I'm not sure what else to try or look for now.
BambooShadow

Post by BambooShadow »

yatzr wrote:I just did an install of a 4.0 second batch (2238) in a US toploader that I'm having problems with and I'm hoping someone here has some ideas of things I could try.

The symptom right now is when I power the unit on, LEDs 0-7 flicker on for a brief moment, then go dark and there is no output whatsoever on video and audio.
Sounds like this procedure could help:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 1#p1511761

It has been only needed for front loaders so far. But if your LED 0 flashes, or no LED flashes, your NESRGB-board isn't booting/isn't active. Only when LED 1 or 2 or [..] 6 is flashing, you can expect video output.
The "problem" is, that the fix isn't 100% reversible*. But I'd be optimistic.

*(You'd need to install a wire, if the fix didn't help, to make up for the cut out pin)
yatzr

Post by yatzr »

BambooShadow wrote:
yatzr wrote:I just did an install of a 4.0 second batch (2238) in a US toploader that I'm having problems with and I'm hoping someone here has some ideas of things I could try.

Sounds like this procedure could help:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 1#p1511761

It has been only needed for front loaders so far. But if your LED 0 flashes, or no LED flashes, your NESRGB-board isn't booting/isn't active. Only when LED 1 or 2 or [..] 6 is flashing, you can expect video output.
The "problem" is, that the fix isn't 100% reversible*. But I'd be optimistic.

*(You'd need to install a wire, if the fix didn't help, to make up for the cut out pin)
I went ahead and tried this on my toploader. No change. It's still LEDs 0-7 flicker for a brief moment right when I turn power on, then nothing and no output. At this point, I'm starting to wonder if my nesrgb board is bad, but I'd love some other things I could check to verify that.
starlightk7

Post by starlightk7 »

yatzr wrote:I went ahead and tried this on my toploader. No change. It's still LEDs 0-7 flicker for a brief moment right when I turn power on, then nothing and no output. At this point, I'm starting to wonder if my nesrgb board is bad, but I'd love some other things I could check to verify that.
Did you also update your MCU firmware as described earlier in the thread? That also adjusts the timing on 2238 and was meant to be used in conjunction with that fix (gives it an extra 2ms to initialize).
yatzr

Post by yatzr »

starlightk7 wrote:
yatzr wrote:I went ahead and tried this on my toploader. No change. It's still LEDs 0-7 flicker for a brief moment right when I turn power on, then nothing and no output. At this point, I'm starting to wonder if my nesrgb board is bad, but I'd love some other things I could check to verify that.
Did you also update your MCU firmware as described earlier in the thread? That also adjusts the timing on 2238 and was meant to be used in conjunction with that fix (gives it an extra 2ms to initialize).
Ahh, I completely missed that part. That step does seem very promising, thank you! I'll report back when I get a usb-ttl adapter and try it out.
starlightk7

Post by starlightk7 »

I reached out to Tim by email again inquiring about the 2231 modification board that he mentioned in the other thread a month or so ago. He responded to me apologizing for the delay in posting the information. He said he is currently out of the country on vacation until January 22nd, but when he returns getting the information wrote up and posted will be first on his list. He said he had the boards ordered to be produced with the latest run of n64rgb. So, for those of us still hanging out on 2231 - we should get issue resolutions soon :)
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

starlightk7 wrote:I reached out to Tim by email again inquiring about the 2231 modification board that he mentioned in the other thread a month or so ago. He responded to me apologizing for the delay in posting the information. He said he is currently out of the country on vacation until January 22nd, but when he returns getting the information wrote up and posted will be first on his list. He said he had the boards ordered to be produced with the latest run of n64rgb. So, for those of us still hanging out on 2231 - we should get issue resolutions soon :)
Awesome! I am one of those. Thank you very much!
serge85

Post by serge85 »

Hey guys.

Is there a way to flash the "Digital Prime (FBX)" palette, into a NES RGB 1.X?

I just tried it on a Mister FPGA and now I kinda want it in my top loader :(
yatzr

Post by yatzr »

starlightk7 wrote:
Welp, I just installed MCU firmware 2.1. The program certainly makes it seem like it worked, but it didn't change the behavior of my nesrgb. Looking for the next thing to try now :cry:
Woodwarden

Post by Woodwarden »

starlightk7 wrote:Kinda feels like V4 has been a bit of a disaster... I have been happy with previous versions of the boards and this time I bought 5 of them hoping to do a full set in V4 - NES, Famicom, AV Famicom, Famicom Twin, and the Opentendo I'm building. But with all the issues that started popping up by the time they made it to me, I haven't installed them yet. I was quite surprised by this as I wasn't expecting this many breaking issues from a 4th generation product. I understand that these things happen, especially with complicated mods as there are many variations of the hardware out there. I'm trying to be as patient as possible, but I wish Tim would communicate with us more about the status of fixing these issues - or if they won't be fixable... let us know that at least too. At this point, I have a lot of money invested in this generation of boards so it would be nice to at least hear the occasional ping with status.

In the meantime, I ordered Krikzz's new gadget. I have mixed feelings about the approach compared to NESRGB, but at least I'll have a working system being plug & play. That will hold me over at least until this all gets sorted out.
I got a NESRGB V4 HW date code 2238 for Christmas to install into my front loader and after reading the forum posts here I was feeling hesitant to install it also. However, if I'm reading the V4 Eratta page correctly, a lot of these problems posted here only apply to the HW date 2231 boards, right? The only thing on the eratta for the 2238 boards is the issue powering up in the disabled state (no palette selected) which he's already documented a hardware fix for here and a firmware fix for here.

So, I'm feeling a little more optimistic about installing the mod now.

Before I start my NESRGB install, I was hoping the community might be able to help me answer the questions below:

1) Am I reading the errata page correctly that the only problem I should anticipate having with a 2238 board is the powering up disabled (no palette selected) issue linked above?

2) If other problems like the ones seen in the 2231 boards happen, are you able to disable the NESRGB board using the "Start+Select+Left (hold for 2 seconds)" button combination and just play the games normally using the composite video out?

3) The hardware fix above for the powering up disabled (no palette selected) issue seems to have two solutions (hardware/firmware linked above). But, I don't see any mention from Tim that both the hardware AND firmware solutions are needed. Can I just do the firmware solution without the hardware modification?
  • UPDATE - I think Tim does say the firmware does not fix the issue on frontloaders here

4) When it comes to flashing the firmware for the MCU, will a USB type C solution like this work? I'd like to install it permanently with the USB port routed outside of the case (potentially using the pre-existing expansion slot area on the bottom) so I can flash future firmware without opening the case.
  • UPDATE - I went with this one instead because it came with wires and headers. I just moved the jumper to the 5V position and it worked fine.

(my apologies if these questions have been answered here before - I did try to read through a lot of this thread, but it is 180 pages long now :shock: )
Last edited by Woodwarden on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzy_Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy_Dunlop »

Edit: I've recently installed board revision 2238 on a NA front loader and was able to get it working correctly (fix the palette loading issue) with the 2.1 update to the FPGA. Was having an S-video issue but ended up being caused by a single wire bridging either chroma or luma to ground on the multi out PCB. NES is now working correctly after spending a decent part of the day screwing around with it.

Note that when installing I cut pin 22 and bridged pin 40 and 22 with a 1K resistor as was instructed in a little piece of paper included in my kit as well as replaced the c8 timing capacitor with the replacement that was also included.
Fuzzy_Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy_Dunlop »

Woodwarden wrote: 1) Am I reading the errata page correctly that the only problem I should anticipate having with a 2238 board is the powering up disabled (no palette selected) issue linked above?

2) If other problems like the ones seen in the 2231 boards happen, are you able to disable the NESRGB board using the "Start+Select+Left (hold for 2 seconds)" button combination and just play the games normally using the composite video out?

3) The hardware fix above for the powering up disabled (no palette selected) issue seems to have two solutions (hardware/firmware linked above). But, I don't see any mention from Tim that both the hardware AND firmware solutions are needed. Can I just do the firmware solution without the hardware modification?

4) When it comes to flashing the firmware for the MCU, will a USB type C solution like this work? I'd like to install it permanently with the USB port routed outside of the case (potentially using the pre-existing expansion slot area on the bottom) so I can flash future firmware without opening the case.

[/i]
Based on my experience installing yesterday in a NA front loader with 2238 board:

1 & 3) I initially had the timing issue where LED7 would rapidly flash which was fixed by the hardware fix (cutting pin and bridging two pins), and the no palette issue fixed with the firmware update. Not sure if the hardware fix is still necessary if you do the FW update first. You could always try it and if you're still getting the LED7 flashing after the FW then you could do the hardware fix after. Don't fully put your NES back together until you know it's 100% working.

2) Yes

4) First of all I don't know if the NESRGB would function normally like this as you have to enable fw update mode by bridging ground and program pins to allow it to accept a new FW. If it does I still don't think it would be worth it as once it's stable I don't expect constant updates. Maybe they'll be new features added but I don't think that's been the case with previous revisions. Seems you'd be cutting into your case and adding a port you may never use. Just my opinion.
Woodwarden

Post by Woodwarden »

Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote: 4) First of all I don't know if the NESRGB would function normally like this as you have to enable fw update mode by bridging ground and program pins to allow it to accept a new FW. If it does I still don't think it would be worth it as once it's stable I don't expect constant updates. Maybe they'll be new features added but I don't think that's been the case with previous revisions. Seems you'd be cutting into your case and adding a port you may never use. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the specific device I linked to would at least work for flashing the firmware?
Fuzzy_Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy_Dunlop »

Woodwarden wrote: Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the specific device I linked to would at least work for flashing the firmware?
Yes it should. I used a very similar USB to TTL adapter without issue.
starlightk7

Post by starlightk7 »

Woodwarden wrote:When it comes to flashing the firmware for the MCU, will a USB type C solution like this work? I'd like to install it permanently with the USB port routed outside of the case (potentially using the pre-existing expansion slot area on the bottom) so I can flash future firmware without opening the case.
I would not bother with the port personally. My understanding is it is very limited on the 4.0 design what Tim can update or improve via firmware - because the FPGA itself is using internal NVCM to store its configuration is one time flash only - that is why Tim had to make a modification board for those of us on 2231 - he can't just give us fixed firmware to flash like he did for the earlier hardware generations. The MCU chip that is being updated here is different - it's doing initialization and handling the controller input monitoring (which is why issues with that were able to be resolved), but not any of the core logic to the NESRGB which is set in stone in that FPGA config. Thus it seems unlikely that you will need to update the firmware again once your unit is working.
starlightk7

Post by starlightk7 »

yatzr wrote:Welp, I just installed MCU firmware 2.1. The program certainly makes it seem like it worked, but it didn't change the behavior of my nesrgb. Looking for the next thing to try now :cry:
Bummer. Maybe post some pics of your work and we can see if we can spot anything you did wrong? Short of that I'm out of ideas at this point.
yatzr

Post by yatzr »

starlightk7 wrote:
yatzr wrote:Welp, I just installed MCU firmware 2.1. The program certainly makes it seem like it worked, but it didn't change the behavior of my nesrgb. Looking for the next thing to try now :cry:
Bummer. Maybe post some pics of your work and we can see if we can spot anything you did wrong? Short of that I'm out of ideas at this point.
There's a good chance there's nothing wrong with my nesrgb. I put my toploader back to original with the rf module and everything to verify that the problem wasn't the nes itself, and it no longer works. After a whole bunch of triaging, I think the cpu is dead. The board has no clock when the clock signal is connected to the cpu. I verified by removing the cap in the path to the ppu and cpu and suddenly the crystal was working again. Clock signal still works when the ppu is connected though. So I removed the cpu, put a socket there, and now I'm searching for a donor.

I assume I caused this since everything was working great beforehand, but I have no idea how. I never touched the cpu other than soldering the two audio wires. I would've thought if anything I killed the ppu. I'll post back here whenever I find a donor cpu.

Thanks for all the help this far though!
ISML19

Post by ISML19 »

seshpilot wrote:Bad news gang. Just got this email from Tim:
and investigate.

I have this same issue so I'll add my situation to the thread. NESRGB4 22.38 install on an NTSC front loader with voultar QSB for multiout, external regulator, and YPbPr add-on board. Here is the situation:

- Initially, LED0 would be solid and LED7 would flash slowly
- Jumpers J1, J6, J10, and J5 shorted
- I have tried every combination of enabling/disabling jumpers except J5 (it is under the YPbPr board). I have also tried enabling/disabling NESRGB board via controller. as well as changing palettes.
- Tried shorting J3 to use NES voltage regulator, issue does not resolve.
- Verified C8 capacitor was replaced with 220nF and also tried with different 220nF, issue does not resolve.
- I performed the steps from the errata/shmups forum post (cut pin 22, isolate with electrical tape, verify isolation, install 1k resistor between pins 40&22, verify continuity) and issue did not resolve
- As others in the post suggested, I installed a 100pF capacitor between pins 13 and 20. This resulted in LED0 remaining solid, but LED7 no longer blinks. Stock composite out displays no image, but screen is now grey suggesting NESRGB board is doing something?
- After removing the capacitor, LED7 still no longer blinks but LED0 remains solid. Stock composite goes back to normal. 

I've verified wiring is correct. This is the 2nd time I've installed a NESRGB4 in an NTSC front loader. In my first installation, I had the bug requiring the pin22 fix, which resolved the issue. Both 22.38 boards. 
Fuzzy_Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy_Dunlop »

ISML19 wrote:This resulted in LED0 remaining solid, but LED7 no longer blinks.

I've verified wiring is correct. This is the 2nd time I've installed a NESRGB4 in an NTSC front loader. In my first installation, I had the bug requiring the pin22 fix, which resolved the issue. Both 22.38 boards. 
LED0 on (when led7 isn't flashing) means the board is disabled but potentially could be working it's just not loading a palette at boot. On my 22.38 board with a front loader I had the same issue but I was able to manually select a palette with the controller, then reset the console to get a picture. The fix for me was the 2.1 firmware update which fixes the no palette at boot issue. Now it's working perfectly.

Fw update:
https://etim.net.au/nesrgb/NESRGB4_MCU_firmware/
travette

Post by travette »

Just coming to post here and report that I have a front loader nes with the nesrgb v4 2231 rev and have some of the bugs people are mentioning here. I first experienced the ram metastability firmware bug, and fixed this using a 100 pF capacitor between pins 13 and 20 as discussed here. I still seemed to get a pixel shift every so often when using this though. I changed to a 220 pF capacitor and this seemed to help it (especially was prevalent on metal man’s stage). Issue is not completely resolved though. Any suggestions? Should I put another capacitor in parallel to slightly up the capacitance? I’m hesitant since most people suggest maxing out at 220 pF.
yatzr

Post by yatzr »

yatzr wrote:
starlightk7 wrote:
There's a good chance there's nothing wrong with my nesrgb. I put my toploader back to original with the rf module and everything to verify that the problem wasn't the nes itself, and it no longer works. After a whole bunch of triaging, I think the cpu is dead. The board has no clock when the clock signal is connected to the cpu. I verified by removing the cap in the path to the ppu and cpu and suddenly the crystal was working again. Clock signal still works when the ppu is connected though. So I removed the cpu, put a socket there, and now I'm searching for a donor.

I assume I caused this since everything was working great beforehand, but I have no idea how. I never touched the cpu other than soldering the two audio wires. I would've thought if anything I killed the ppu. I'll post back here whenever I find a donor cpu.

Thanks for all the help this far though!
I got my cpu replaced and everything including the nesrgb is working perfectly now! Still no idea how I broke my cpu.

Another interesting note, and maybe somebody has already mentioned it, I socketed my cpu and now there's basically no clearance between the cpu and the nesrgb adapter board. I had to put a piece of kapton tape on the cpu to prevent those pins from touching the adapter board pins.
ISML19

Post by ISML19 »

Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote:
ISML19 wrote:This resulted in LED0 remaining solid, but LED7 no longer blinks.

LED0 on (when led7 isn't flashing) means the board is disabled but potentially could be working it's just not loading a palette at boot. On my 22.38 board with a front loader I had the same issue but I was able to manually select a palette with the controller, then reset the console to get a picture. The fix for me was the 2.1 firmware update which fixes the no palette at boot issue. Now it's working perfectly.

Fw update:
https://etim.net.au/nesrgb/NESRGB4_MCU_firmware/
I have good news and bad news.

The good news (for everyone): I can confirm the latest batch of NESRGB4 22.38 boards with this issue is fixed with both the 22pin fix and MCU 2.1 update. My NES is outputting YPbPr perfectly and is able to palette switch and reset via controller. I haven't tested RGB yet as I haven't connected my Multi-out, but presumably it works too.

The bad news (just for me): the NESRGB4 22.38 that I originally had this problem on appears to be toast.

It was not able to receive the MCU 2.1 update. I was made sure to use the 1k resistor from GND to the update pin. I tried two different PCs, two different TTL USB sticks, and powering the board via 5V pin and through the NES. I could not get this one to accept a firmware update at all (2.0 or 2.1), but I was able to update a 2nd (now working) NESRGB4 22.38 board to MCU 2.1. They both performed identically with the same problem initially.

I have a 3rd board that has not been installed yet, but I was able to update to MCU 2.1. We'll see if it also works correctly.

UPDATE:
This is puzzling. I installed the 3rd board, tested YPbPr/audio and it was working perfectly. Awesome! It had been a very long day so I called it quits before buttoning up the console. In the morning I found that I had not powered off the console before bed. So it was on all night with the TV off. But I found that I now get no audio/video whatsoever from anything. Nothing from YPbPr, nothing from multi-out, nothing from composite.

- The power indicator light still behaves normally (blinks with no cart or bad connection, solid with cartridge and good connection)
- NESRGB board still powers on and selects a palette (LED1 illuminated).
- Both PPU and CPU are still receiving +5V from main NES regulator so I don't think something went wrong with the power circuit.
- I tried disabling everything one by one (external regulator, YPbPr, expansion audio, multi-out, controller palette select connections) until it was basically just the NESRGB board + PPU. Still nothing at all but palette 1 selected on NESRGB board.
- I also tried known-working cartridges, cartridge connectors, cables, etc. and verified my working NESRGB console performs perfectly with all the same equipment.

I'm stumped on what went wrong from leaving the console on overnight. I would think a connection problem or shorting issue with my soldering would have manifested in the 15m I tested it before stopping for the day. Unfortunately I don't have an oscope to check if the PPU/CPU is outputting correct signals.

Anyone have experience with NES consoles dying from being left on?