shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:39 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:28 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1903
GeneraLight wrote:
Can the NESRGB mod be installed alongside the Hi-Def NES mod on an AV Famicom?

As I understand it, no--it's one or the other.

GeneraLight wrote:
Also, is the Hi-Def NES Mod the only way to get digital audio?

So far, yes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:22 am 



Joined: 07 Jan 2020
Posts: 22
Hey so made a discovery today while experimenting with my nesrgb install! :D
I have a SCART switch, if I plug in another console and power it on BOOM the screen lights up in all the rgb glory you can imagine! Some kind of power problem? Both consoles must be on, I also noticed my switch has a led that does not light up for the NES unless I run the second console (lights up with any other single console and display is fine). It’s an Otaku 6 port switch.
What do you think?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:19 pm 



Joined: 14 Oct 2013
Posts: 49
Location: Sweden
Tempest_2084 wrote:
I'm attempting to solder a wire to my NESRGB board in order to mix in the expansion audio (Wolff's mod: http://www.firebrandx.com/edn8tonesrgb.html). As I have a v1 version of the board and not a v2, I contacted the board's creator (Tim) and was given a diagram showing three different points where I can do this on the v1 board. I've never attempted to solder to something this tiny before. Any tips? I'm thinking about trying for the top component as it's not quite so flat to the board and I think I actually have a chance of getting the wire in there without making a solder bridge to an adjacent component.

Image


I did this mod to my v1 NES RGB today.
With Konami carts like Akumajou Densetsu and Lagrange Point, sound is nice and clear!
But when using the Famicom Disk System RAM adapter, the audio is distorted. Like overdriven.

Anyone else that has the same experience?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:25 pm 



Joined: 07 Jan 2020
Posts: 22
I think I figured out why my TV doesn’t like my nesrgb setup. I am getting 11.4V on the switching line pin 8 (using the supplied cable from NESRGB) my SNES only sends 4.5v on this line. My Otaku switch seems to combine these together and then I get over 11v to blanking, which I believe takes the tv out of RGB mode.
Is there a way to mod this cable to get that switching voltage down below 5v? (Going to try just disconnecting pin 8, but may cause problems in other scart setups??)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:30 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1903
MiteWiseacre wrote:
I think I figured out why my TV doesn’t like my nesrgb setup. I am getting 11.4V on the switching line pin 8 (using the supplied cable from NESRGB) my SNES only sends 4.5v on this line. My Otaku switch seems to combine these together and then I get over 11v to blanking, which I believe takes the tv out of RGB mode.
Is there a way to mod this cable to get that switching voltage down below 5v? (Going to try just disconnecting pin 8, but may cause problems in other scart setups??)

If it's a problem with the switcher, I'd try to resolve it there. I don't think it's appropriate for the blanking and status/aspect-ratio pins to be bridged; if that's the case, then you should either try notifying the manufacturer/seller that there's a fundamental issue with the design, or, failing that, you should find out where they're getting bridged and sever it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:11 pm 



Joined: 10 Dec 2020
Posts: 2
I don't have an NES RGB yet, but I plant to get one. Tim's Software and Errata page doesn't list the color palettes associated with Version 2.2 firmware. Does anybody know which palettes are shipping on V2.2? I'm asking because I don't know if I need to bother getting a USB blaster to change the palettes to some of Firebrandx's.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 pm 



Joined: 07 Jan 2020
Posts: 22
nmalinoski wrote:
MiteWiseacre wrote:
I think I figured out why my TV doesn’t like my nesrgb setup. I am getting 11.4V on the switching line pin 8 (using the supplied cable from NESRGB) my SNES only sends 4.5v on this line. My Otaku switch seems to combine these together and then I get over 11v to blanking, which I believe takes the tv out of RGB mode.
Is there a way to mod this cable to get that switching voltage down below 5v? (Going to try just disconnecting pin 8, but may cause problems in other scart setups??)

If it's a problem with the switcher, I'd try to resolve it there. I don't think it's appropriate for the blanking and status/aspect-ratio pins to be bridged; if that's the case, then you should either try notifying the manufacturer/seller that there's a fundamental issue with the design, or, failing that, you should find out where they're getting bridged and sever it.

Just got some new cables in the mail, took a while because they came from UK. Works great now! Just need to wire up sound to the other two pins. Not sure what the deal was with the nesrgb supplied cables, seem to cut down the switching voltage or something, my setup didn’t like it.
Retro Gaming Cables 8pin mini din to euroscart packapunch cable
Recommended!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:18 pm 



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 1075
Location: Toronto, Canada
thompsr2 wrote:
I don't have an NES RGB yet, but I plant to get one. Tim's Software and Errata page doesn't list the color palettes associated with Version 2.2 firmware. Does anybody know which palettes are shipping on V2.2? I'm asking because I don't know if I need to bother getting a USB blaster to change the palettes to some of Firebrandx's.


Same as 2.1. I would go with 2.3 unless you really need dejitter. 2.3 makes your NESRGB back into a V1 that has worked perfectly fine for thousands since 2013.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group