shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:36 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4748 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:06 pm 

Danexmurder wrote:
I salvaged a SNES multi-out from a bad SNES motherboard. I'm having trouble figuring out how to wire audio for it though. Since the NES is mono should I just run the audio from the audio out to both the left and right audio on the multi-out? I also decided I wanted to do a 4 position rotary switch for palette selection and toggling composite video out. Has anyone on here done something like that successfully? Thanks!

My understanding is that most TVs will assume having just the left channel connected means mono audio, so just run it to the left channel. Alternatively, you can track down an audio amp/splitter board to duplicate the audio to the right channel.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:54 pm 

Yes, just connect the audio to both the L and R pin of the SNES socket.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:34 pm 

What cable do I need to connect my NESRGB modded PAL NES to my TV?

I have a PAL NES (front loader) which was modded with etim's NESRGB kit a while ago, and they also added a SNES Multi out port to the NES. I was told to buy a SNES NTSC Csync cable in order to connect it to my TV (which has scart btw). Is that correct?

Would this be the correct choice: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... gold-scart ? (and should I choose "csync 470Ω" or "csync pass-trhough"?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:18 pm 

IPD wrote:
What cable do I need to connect my NESRGB modded PAL NES to my TV?

I have a PAL NES (front loader) which was modded with etim's NESRGB kit a while ago, and they also added a SNES Multi out port to the NES. I was told to buy a SNES NTSC Csync cable in order to connect it to my TV (which has scart btw). Is that correct?

Would this be the correct choice: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... gold-scart ? (and should I choose "csync 470Ω" or "csync pass-trhough"?)

Well if you have any pics of the inside of the NES that'd really help. If you don't have pics, and don't want to unscrew it, then it depends. Is that cable reccomendation from the modder? If so then yes an NTSC csync cable would be best. As to wether it should be 470ohm or passthrough, if J8 was left un-jumpered you would get about 0.7Vpp with passthrough or about 0.37Vpp with the 470ohm cable. Both within the 0.3 to 0.9Vpp safe range for 75ohm tv's.

However, if J8 was jumpered, it would lower the voltage. So with both the passthrough cable and 470ohm cable you'd get less voltage. Seeing as if you lower that 0.37Vpp it may go too low with both J8 shorted and the 470ohm resistor to lower it. It may be best to avoid the 470ohm cable, and just use the passthrough.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:15 pm 

FBX wrote:

The thing about Tim's version 1.4 board with the J8 jumper is he has a 470 Ohm resistor in series already on the line. So at load, it's like 700mv even with J8 open. That's in the upper range for SCART, but still well within tolerance. But if you use an RGB cable with another say 470 Ohm resistor (and still leave J8 open), that will bring it down to like 350mV or so, which is perfectly fine too. If you're using a straight cable, just close J8 and you'll be fine. Leaving it open isn't going to send actual TTL voltage to your equipment, even though Tim labels it as such.

FBX summed up the lack of danger in using the TTL signal from NESRGB last page.
An NTSC SNES cable has caps in it. You dont want caps.
A Pal one has termination resistors. You dont want that either.

Get a cable with 0 components.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:12 pm 

Digital Dragon wrote:
Well if you have any pics of the inside of the NES that'd really help.

So I think it's probably best to just unscrew it. I'll do that and take a few pics. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm 

I'm working on wiring up my NESRGB to a salvaged SNES multi out. I'm looking on advice for the best way to actually connect to the pins. It's a pain in the ass trying to solder to them directly. I keep burning plastic. Are there any sort of pin connectors that you guys usually use for something like that? Has anyone done like a through-hole jumper board?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:50 am 

I am amazed at how many pages this product has, after being out so long.

It is a great product though.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4748 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159