Problems with new TV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
freddiebamboo

Problems with new TV

Post by freddiebamboo »

Ok, bought a new tv today to be a dedicated tate for the pstwo but it doesn't have component compatibility (I think this is what I was using - screen goes all green on the new tv)

Now I'm on the shitty red/yellow/white cables that came with it and the picture is nowhere near as sharp

What is the best cable I should be going for?

PS I know jack about technical stuff so sorry in advance for crap question
marcus12024

Post by marcus12024 »

S-Video would be a step up, it uses the red and white for audio, and then has a special plug with a bunch of pins in it. It usually gives a fairly nice picture, compared to composite (yellow).
D

Post by D »

return tv.
seriously. get one with the connections for you to get a good quality image.
It will start eating you up inside in a while when you think about the $'s you spend for the quality you have with this new tv.
subcons

Post by subcons »

What set did you get and what set were you using before? Got a link?

It sounds like you were playing your games in HD before, but the new set you bought doesn't support HD. Just because it has component inputs (and to be clear, component inputs are two sets: one is Red, Green and Blue for picture, the other is Red and White for audio--is this what you are talking about?), doesn't mean it can give you a picture any better than Standard Definition.

As marcus mentioned, S-Video would be a step up from standard AV cables. It goes AV < S-Video < Component.
ResOGlas

Post by ResOGlas »

subcons wrote:What set did you get and what set were you using before? Got a link?

It sounds like you were playing your games in HD before, but the new set you bought doesn't support HD. Just because it has component inputs (and to be clear, component inputs are two sets: one is Red, Green and Blue for picture, the other is Red and White for audio--is this what you are talking about?), doesn't mean it can give you a picture any better than Standard Definition.

As marcus mentioned, S-Video would be a step up from standard AV cables. It goes AV < S-Video < Component.
Composite < S-Video < Component / RGB < DVI / HDMI ;)
Hail Atlantis!
zakk

Re: Problems with new TV

Post by zakk »

freddiebamboo wrote:Ok, bought a new tv today to be a dedicated tate for the pstwo but it doesn't have component compatibility (I think this is what I was using - screen goes all green on the new tv)

Now I'm on the shitty red/yellow/white cables that came with it and the picture is nowhere near as sharp

What is the best cable I should be going for?

PS I know jack about technical stuff so sorry in advance for crap question
If you were using component cables (3 cables for video, usually colored red, green and blue) are you sure you had the PS2 set to component? It may have been set to RGB. Check the video settings of the PS2 before you write it off.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Yes, if the picture is all green with component cables then your PS2 is set to output RGB. Just boot it up without a game in and go into the settings.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Thanks to everyone who replied - I've got it fixed now by changing the settings in the menu to RGB (?)

I guess I have no clue what I'm using as I thought I was on component, but I'm not good with this kind of stuff

Apologies again for lack of knowledge/complete stupidity :oops:

Edit : TV Link - http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/167_239194.html
subcons

Post by subcons »

Ah, you're in the UK. I didn't even take notice.

Our sets don't generaly (ever?) have RGB inputs over here in the states. Lucky bastards. :lol:
ResOGlas wrote:Composite < S-Video < Component / RGB < DVI / HDMI ;)
Is there any way to hook a console up through DVI or HDMI?
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

subcons wrote:Ah, you're in the UK. I didn't even take notice.

Our sets don't generaly (ever?) have RGB inputs over here in the states. Lucky bastards. :lol:
ResOGlas wrote:Composite < S-Video < Component / RGB < DVI / HDMI ;)
Is there any way to hook a console up through DVI or HDMI?
The only way with current consoles would be to buy an external scaler, such as the new DVDO VP30, which will transcode analog HD signals from a component source, and output them via HDMI.

Upcoming consoles will support DVI and/or HDMI. The XBox 360 won't support DVI or HDMI at launch, but hopefully an add-on will be released soon after to allow such a connection. The PS3 will support dual HDMI connections, and some games will even support simultaneous use of two widescreen displays for a 32:9 image. Such a setup will be a little costly. ;)