Distortion and Jitter with a Videon Omega One and NES

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mido

Distortion and Jitter with a Videon Omega One and NES

Post by mido »

Hello,

I recently acquired a Videon Omega One unit to interface with my NES and Plasma TV. The NES is connected to the Omega One via composite. The Omega One is connected to my Panasonic Plasma via VGA. When I go to the PC settings on the TV, the input resolution defaults to 852x480. When I select and change it to 640x480 the picture becomes more 'jittery' or 'shaky'. Shouldn't the correct resolution be 640x480? I assumed I was doubling a 240p signal to 480p through the Omega One. As of now, I leave it at the 852x480 resolution because it doesn't jitter as much. It's minor but upon scrutiny and close inspection the picture still seems like it's jittery, shaky or not staying 'still'. It's the most noticeable on opening graphics and static text. As an experiment, I tried connecting the component output of the Omega One to the component input of the TV. I changed the color space on the Omega One and switched on Sync on Green. The picture doesn't seem to jitter or shake AT ALL but there is a huge band of distortion on the top. What could be causing this? Would I benefit by purchasing a VGA to component cable to connect from the Omega One to the component input of the TV?

The model TV I am using is a Panasonic TC-P42G25.

If this lends any insight this is what the TV reads at the two different resolutions:

852x480:
H-frequency - 31.4 khz
V-frequency - 60.2 hz

640x480:
H-frequency - 31.5 khz
V-frequency - 60.2 hz

So to sum up:
Why does my TV default to 852x480?
Is there a way to completely remove any jitter or shakiness from the signal?
Would there be any difference if I connected the VGA out of the Videon Omega One with a VGA to component cable to component in on the TV?

I really appreciate any help. This is all new to me. Thanks!

Fudoh

Re: Distortion and Jitter with a Videon Omega One and NES

Post by Fudoh »

Why does my TV default to 852x480?
the signal itself is analogue 480p. If you want to express this in pixels, it's more like 720x480, so your TV probably defaults to the next larger resolution it knows. Are your aspect ratio controls disabled in VGA mode ?
Would there be any difference if I connected the VGA out of the Videon Omega One with a VGA to component cable to component in on the TV?
I don't think so, the two outputs should carry the same signals. Just make sure to physically disconnect the VGA cable when using the component output.

Do you get the same distortion on top with another source (e.g. a DVD player instead of your NES) ?

If anything else fails, a component to HDMI converter would probably be your safest choice.
mido

Post by mido »

Hey Fudoh,

Thanks for the reply. I tried a DVD player as an alternate source and I got the same exact distortion that I got with the NES. I plugged it in the same way via composite as I did the NES with component out going to the TV's component in. I also made sure the VGA cable was disconnected and same results. I'm curious as to why my TV treats the signal with distortion. Is it more likely the TV is the problem over the Omega One? Could you recommend a good component to HDMI converter?

Also, to answer your question about ratio controls in VGA mode... I am able to switch the resolution to 640x480. I am also able switch the aspect ratio from 3:4 to full.

Thanks.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Is it more likely the TV is the problem over the Omega One?
at least I can't say that I've encountered the problem before and I had a number of Videon units and still two in action at least once a week. I would give it a try on a different display to make sure it's not the processor. After that you can still look into the converter option.

With component to HDMI converters it's really hit or muss. Quality is good on all of them, but compatibility can be an issue. I've had good luck with $25 china converters, while $75 made much more problems.
I am also able switch the aspect ratio from 3:4 to full.
and can you squeeze the signal back to 4:3, while the signal recognition is set to 854x480 ?
mido

Post by mido »

Yes I am able to get the aspect ratio to 4:3 at 854x480. From the couch you can hardly see any 'shaking' as I describe. In the interest of not spending anymore money it's totally acceptable. I was just curious to see if anyone else had similar issues or if maybe I wasn't hooking my components up properly. Currently I dont have any more TVs to experiment with but if I get the opportunity I will post my results. Is it common to use the VGA out to the TV or do people go with the component out? I'm assuming all TVs and displays behave differently. Thanks Fudoh.
Niro starship

Post by Niro starship »

Hi,
I got similar issue with my sony trinitrons crt tvs. :?
Did you ever find the solution for the jittery picture?

Please take a look on my post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64126&p=1354888#p1354888