Micomsoft XCAPTURE-1 USB 3.0 Capture Unit

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SavagePencil

Re: Micomsoft XCAPTURE-1 USB 3.0 Capture Unit

Post by SavagePencil »

FinalBaton (see top of this page) seems to have had success using the USB3HDCAP drivers on his XCAPTURE-1. This appears to be a link to them:

http://www.infopy.fr/shop/audio-video/9 ... 60fps.html
ramunegaming

Post by ramunegaming »

Custom drivers gives me the no signal problem again :S
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

SavagePencil wrote:FinalBaton (see top of this page) seems to have had success using the USB3HDCAP drivers on his XCAPTURE-1. This appears to be a link to them:

I actually have the USB3HDCAP card!

But thanks for linking this site, I was about to upload my drivers but they are on there.
USB3HDCAP_Driver.zip
Version: 1.1.0.129

and

Capture_Software.zip
Version: 1.1.0.129.5

I suggest people who are on Windows 7 to try them, even if they have the XCAPTURE-1 and not the Startech card. They've worked fantastic on my setup, over USB 2.0, so there's hope that they'll work well for other Windows 7 users
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

How about doing a VGA -> HDMI and seeing if that works?
ramunegaming

Post by ramunegaming »

I don't think getting an adaptor will change anything. I'm starting to get the feeling its to do with the Xcapture-1 drivers. Does anyone have an old version I could borrow to do further testing?

Adding fact I can't even access bios during a capture either so its literally just DOS in general. Windows is fine though.
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

FinalBaton wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:FinalBaton (see top of this page) seems to have had success using the USB3HDCAP drivers on his XCAPTURE-1. This appears to be a link to them:

I actually have the USB3HDCAP card!

But thanks for linking this site, I was about to upload my drivers but they are on there.
USB3HDCAP_Driver.zip
Version: 1.1.0.129

and

Capture_Software.zip
Version: 1.1.0.129.5

I suggest people who are on Windows 7 to try them, even if they have the XCAPTURE-1 and not the Startech card. They've worked fantastic on my setup, over USB 2.0, so there's hope that they'll work well for other Windows 7 users
Weird, that download states 1.1.0.129 but after downloading them they are the latest drivers found on startechs website (1.1.0.170).
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

AaronSR wrote: Weird, that download states 1.1.0.129 but after downloading them they are the latest drivers found on startechs website (1.1.0.170).
Really? that sucks. I'll upload mine then
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I have uploaded my 1.1.0.129 drivers. I didn't know what files exactly to get so I just bundled everything that's on the cd. You guys let me know if this work for you

http://www.filedropper.com/usb3hdcapdriver1-1-0-129
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I found instructions for how to load Micomsoft drivers onto the StarTech device (copy two sections from the INF), but what’s the process for going the other direction? I tried copying the same two sections but it kept getting rejected. I’m on Windows 10, btw.
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

FinalBaton wrote:I have uploaded my 1.1.0.129 drivers. I didn't know what files exactly to get so I just bundled everything that's on the cd. You guys let me know if this work for you

http://www.filedropper.com/usb3hdcapdriver1-1-0-129
Alright yeah these are the correct ones.

Unfortunately though its looking like it might be a glitch sending 240p over component because its still showing as 1440X240

The Crash Bandicoot games run at a weird resolution anyway (512X240), but yeah its definitely stretching it. The only way I've managed to get around this is simply selecting 720X480 in amarecTV and then downscaling to actual resolution after recording.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

My driver window also shows 1440x240. yet it records fine

-Have you opened a recorded video to check it? Maybe it's fine and only your preview window is messed up (you never know).
-In the "Graph 2(Preview)" tab, have you selected "Not appoint" under Aspect Ratio? That's what you want. (I tried to select the "fixed window" one just for fun, and I ended up with a stretched preview window just like yours. so that might be what causes this)
-In the preview window, what resolution does it report in the "Video" status bar in the lower right corner?

Alternatively, do composite and s-video also appear stretched like this?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Just double checked and yep
I have Not appoint enabled
Preview window shows "720x240 59.94p YUY2 EVR", and recordings are 720x240 also.

The image being stretched is extremely odd, its as if the 1440 width is only being applied to internal resolution (game) rather than the overall resolution.

Setting a custom aspect ratio could work, but that only affects Amarecs preview, the recordings are still stretched.

I'll try some composite and S video cables tomorrow (don't have them in my setup right now).
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

AaronSR wrote:Just double checked and yep
I have Not appoint enabled
Preview window shows "720x240 59.94p YUY2 EVR", and recordings are 720x240 also.

The image being stretched is extremely odd, its as if the 1440 width is only being applied to internal resolution (game) rather than the overall resolution.

Setting a custom aspect ratio could work, but that only affects Amarecs preview, the recordings are still stretched.

I'll try some composite and S video cables tomorrow (don't have them in my setup right now).
Do you have line-doubling enabled?

Graph 2(Preview) -> Scan Line Doubler -> Enable
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

Does this device work with a usb-c macbook pro 2017? (with a usb-c to usb-a adapter)
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

tzakiel wrote:Does this device work with a usb-c macbook pro 2017? (with a usb-c to usb-a adapter)

If you use Windows via BootCamp, yes. I don't believe there are any native Mac drivers. If you want something with Mac drivers, you'll likely need to pony up far more cash for a Magewell USB3 capture box or similar.
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

Thanks. I ask because I know it’s so picky with usb.
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

The main thing is, I have never seen a driver for Micomsoft's capture devices (or their StarTech equivalents) for either OSX or Linux. Sadly, those are Windows-Only.
bbbbbssssss

Post by bbbbbssssss »

I just got this in last week and i'm on the latest drivers. I can only get output from my Super NT and OSSC. All other consoles I've tried say no signal except for my Xbox One X which is stuck at 640x480. Anyone know why this might be?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

bbbbbssssss wrote:I just got this in last week and i'm on the latest drivers. I can only get output from my Super NT and OSSC. All other consoles I've tried say no signal except for my Xbox One X which is stuck at 640x480. Anyone know why this might be?
Only earlier versions of the drivers work with 240p.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Whats the simplest way to change the 720x240 into a proper 4:3 video? (Recording raw 240p rgb)
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

It's the exact same issue that the PEXHDCAP has with later drivers. 240p is always recognised as 1440x240 for some reason. Only difference is that 75% of the screen is cut off on the PEXHDCAP, whereas on the X-capture, you can still see the entire image.
Oryan

Post by Oryan »

I recently bought a Startech USB32VGCAPRO, which now looking at it, is much different than the USB3HDCAP. Whoops! I'm still under my return window, so I could get the other but before I ship it off I wanted to see if there was any way to fix the issue I was having...I didn't want to clutter the boards by making a new thread, but let me know if I should.

I'm having trouble capturing footage from my DDR cab (which changes from 480i and 240p depending on if you're in the menu screen or if you're playing a song). 480i captures fine, but when I start a song I just get a distorted black screen (I get the bottom 20px or so in the middle of the screen but everything else is black) when it tries switching to 240p. I'm assuming its a driver problem, but not really sure where to get an older compatible driver for the USB32VGCAPRO. For grins and giggles, I changed the INI on the thrillness' modified USB3HDCAP 141 driver so it would install on my USB32VGCAPRO, but that didn't work.

I'm using streamlabs OBS if that hints at anything.
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

Yeah, all drivers after the 140 series ditches support for analog RGB capture. It affects both their UsB and PCie devices. I blame it on Yuan not wanting to support it anymore.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

AndehX wrote:It's the exact same issue that the PEXHDCAP has with later drivers. 240p is always recognised as 1440x240 for some reason. Only difference is that 75% of the screen is cut off on the PEXHDCAP, whereas on the X-capture, you can still see the entire image.
I'm assuming the 1440px wide is "just to be sure". Keep in mind, no hardware actually sends the data as "one pixel at a time", it's all analog signals that could theoretically vary a lot more on each horizontal scanline, so the horizontal resolution usually depends on both the fidelity of the video hardware of the source, and what the monitor is able to display.
If the capture unit was fixed to eg. 256 pixels wide, stuff like CPS2 or PGM games would lose details since they are running at a ~512 pixel wide resolution.

The issue of course is that 1440 (or 720) isn't a multiple of 256, so the pixels on 256x240 footage won't ever be completely even, like a digital output, but scaled to the correct ratio it still looks very acceptable.
SuperDeadite wrote:Whats the simplest way to change the 720x240 into a proper 4:3 video? (Recording raw 240p rgb)
If you're using OBS Studio, I find the best way is to apply a filter on the source, rather than stretching it in the scene itself, so you have a base size that can't be screwed up.
The scale filter even allows just picking a "4:3" preset so you don't have to define the values manually. Very simple.
Oryan wrote: I'm having trouble capturing footage from my DDR cab (which changes from 480i and 240p depending on if you're in the menu screen or if you're playing a song). 480i captures fine, but when I start a song I just get a distorted black screen (I get the bottom 20px or so in the middle of the screen but everything else is black) when it tries switching to 240p. I'm assuming its a driver problem, but not really sure where to get an older compatible driver for the USB32VGCAPRO. For grins and giggles, I changed the INI on the thrillness' modified USB3HDCAP 141 driver so it would install on my USB32VGCAPRO, but that didn't work.
I'm not an expert, but since the USB3HDCAP is essentially just a rebranded XCapture-1, I'd say there's a good chance the thing you bought has almost nothing in common with the former, and might be based on something else entirely.
Did you try testing it out on 240p footage that is constant, and doesn't change from 480i? Are there maybe any deinterlacing settings that could be disabled?
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

Do any of these Yuan-based capture cards with DVI-I/VGA ports require clean sync when being fed RGBS over the DVI port via a VGA adapter like the Datapath cards do? Do any of the Yuan cards take YPbPr over DVI-I at all or is YPbPr strictly over the 7-pin mini DIN connector?

FYI that the Magewell DVI and AIO cards with DVI-I ports will take combined sync, separate sync, SoG, and sync-on-luma officially (and sync-on-composite unofficially?).
A Murder Of Crows

Post by A Murder Of Crows »

I finally started using my X-Cap1 last year and was fairly happy with the results, but have been going through an XRGB-Mini for that.

I have a new desktop and was thinking about getting an internal cap card, and thought about the startech card that was essentially an xcap-1.

Came on here and saw the last 2 or 3 pages of issues people are having and now i'm left to wonder if i should still bother or if i should go with a different cap all together.

I see fudoh mention that the xcap is a good piece of hardware with bad driver support.

So, in 2019, if one wanted to have widest possible capture ability with primarily RGB based signals, what card is the "right" one? i didn't really want to incorporate the xrgb-mini due to the resolution change issues, but if that's my only i do have one.

Thanks all
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

A Murder Of Crows wrote:So, in 2019, if one wanted to have widest possible capture ability with primarily RGB based signals, what card is the "right" one? i didn't really want to incorporate the xrgb-mini due to the resolution change issues, but if that's my only i do have one.
Putting an OSSC in front of any capture card that is both RGB24/YUV444 native and tolerant of not-quite-spec sync timing signals, e.g. Magewell Pro Capture HDMI, is arguably the best solution these days.

The issue with Micomsoft's XRGB-mini Framemeister in the modern era is that it works in the YUV 4:2:2 color space and has input lag, plus things like the OSSC and RetroTINK-2X exist these days. The cheap little RetroTINK-2X that does 15 khz analog to 31 khz HDMI in the 4:2:2 color space with optional line-doubling/pass-thru/smoothing also covers a lot of the Framemeister's use cases. The OSSC, on the other hand, does things in full-range RGB.

The only USB frame grabbers out there that can capture 1080p60 @ RGB 8:8:8 (the effective limit of USB 3.0's available bandwidth) are the Avermedia Live Gamer Ultra (GC553) and any of Magewell's current USB cards. That's it. There's the Epiphan DVI2USB 3.0 as well, but it only does full-bandwidth RGB up to 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz before reducing color bandwidth, plus can't handle 240p/480i transitions (pick one and clean up in post, basically). The Avermedia is digital-only, but both the Magewell and Epiphan offerings have analog functionality that's vintage console friendly.

In PCIe land there's the Avermedia Live Gamer 4K (GC573) that will do 8-bit RGB clear up to 2160p60/1080p240 over HDMI. Magewell, Datapath, and Epiphan all have cards with analog inputs that tolerate the kinds of not-quite-spec signals vintage game consoles put out (arcade boards would still need a supergun that cleans up the voltages involved, however).

Effectively all other readily available consumer capture cards out there top out at YUY2 4:2:2 @ 1080p60 (or NV12 4:2:0 @ 2160p60) including all current Startech/Micomsoft/Elgato-branded cards OEMed/ODMed from Yuan. Yuan just announced their new SC700-series cards that have real 4:4:4 color, but none of them are shipping as of this writing.

Other pro capture cards from the likes of Blackmagic, Bluefish444, or AJA will almost universally be CVBS/YC/YPbPr-only for analog, won't support 240p, and likely won't tolerate anything not-quite-spec anyways.
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Not sure if anyone noticed but there was an update released by Startech on Jan 3rd 2019 (1.1.0.184.0). Not sure about all the changes, there seems to be some rearranged stuff, a "Cropping Area" box, a "LEV B" tickbox under "Video Input" and also a "Digital VCR Control" tab is there but when I click on it it immediately crashes lol

SixFisted

Post by SixFisted »

I've read over this thread a fair number of times over the last two years in my on and off again dabbling with the Xcapture-1.

For every problem I solve, there seems to be another issue that crops up.

For instance I was having issues getting video to appear correctly from my SNES using HDRetrovision cables when I used the Super Game Boy, but normal SNES games would work fine. Now I'm able to launch into the Super Game Boy with zero issues at all and everything appears fine.

However I'm now having issues with my PSP. Everything I do I do through component cables (PS2/SNES/Genesis, et cetera), and I'm using a PSP 3001 with OEM component cables. I'm using driver 1.1.0.141.5, and I've used drivers all the way up to 1.1.0.178.0 (going through Micomsoft's page it appears as if they only have two drivers available for download any more) to try and resolve my current issue; I can't get the PSP to display in 480p, but I can get it to display just fine with 480i.

I've changed the settings everywhere I could to match. The PSP outputting 16:9, and AmaRec at 16:9; or 4:3 and 4:3; et cetera. However any time I switch to external view on the PSP it shows that it's receiving a 720 x 480p signal at 59.94 FPS, but I only get audio popping and hissing and a black screen. Even then when I go to 480i it shows the video, but it only gives me 29.8 FPS.

I people talking about using custom drivers, but to be honest I don't want to waste my time in screwing something up if this is just an issue with the card in general.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any solutions!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

SixFisted wrote:I've read over this thread a fair number of times over the last two years in my on and off again dabbling with the Xcapture-1.

For every problem I solve, there seems to be another issue that crops up.

For instance I was having issues getting video to appear correctly from my SNES using HDRetrovision cables when I used the Super Game Boy, but normal SNES games would work fine. Now I'm able to launch into the Super Game Boy with zero issues at all and everything appears fine.

However I'm now having issues with my PSP. Everything I do I do through component cables (PS2/SNES/Genesis, et cetera), and I'm using a PSP 3001 with OEM component cables. I'm using driver 1.1.0.141.5, and I've used drivers all the way up to 1.1.0.178.0 (going through Micomsoft's page it appears as if they only have two drivers available for download any more) to try and resolve my current issue; I can't get the PSP to display in 480p, but I can get it to display just fine with 480i.

I've changed the settings everywhere I could to match. The PSP outputting 16:9, and AmaRec at 16:9; or 4:3 and 4:3; et cetera. However any time I switch to external view on the PSP it shows that it's receiving a 720 x 480p signal at 59.94 FPS, but I only get audio popping and hissing and a black screen. Even then when I go to 480i it shows the video, but it only gives me 29.8 FPS.

I people talking about using custom drivers, but to be honest I don't want to waste my time in screwing something up if this is just an issue with the card in general.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any solutions!
Have you tried disabling the line-doubling in Amarec when in 480p?

It's too bad my psp is busted, I would have tested this right away
-FM Synth & Black Metal-