Micomsoft XCAPTURE-1 USB 3.0 Capture Unit

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Sumez

Re: Micomsoft XCAPTURE-1 USB 3.0 Capture Unit

Post by Sumez »

Sumez wrote:So it seems there are a few different arcade games I can't capture with my USB3HDCAP (I'm assuming the Xcapture-1 is exactly the same). I'm sure this is a known issue, but I can't find any discussions about it.
Just bumping this request, because it's a real issue again.
More specifically, my problem right now is capturing Neo Geo MVS footage.

If I use the driver pack put together by TheThrillness (essentially injecting Micomsoft drivers into the Startech ones) based on old 2015 drivers, I can capture from a good portion of my arcade PCBs. But for MVS, it just says "no signal".

I tried earlier today using the latest Startech drivers from 2019 to see how they held up, and interesting enough, it recognizes the 240p footage, gives me a bunch of information about it on the settings windows (resolution, framerate, etc.) and I get an output in what appears to be the correct resolution (basically as many pixels horizontally as it would normally sample x 240 vertically), but it's completely black. This goes for all the hardware I managed to test it with, including a bunch of boards that work with the old Micomsoft drivers mentioned above.

Now I'm back to the older drivers again, and it still says "NO SIGNAL" :\

Any ideas?
It feels like the newest Startech drivers might potentially be a solution, but I've been unable to get anything visible out of them.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Have you tried my driver bud?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Where's your driver bud?

EDIT: This one? viewtopic.php?p=1401557#p1401557

That one says 2014, so it's even older than the Thrillness ones, and gives me the same result unfortunately :(
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yep that's the one. Ahh too bad
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
nio

Post by nio »

Hi, I need help too. In the driver menu i get the information that there is a signal. But in OpencBroadcaster ane XSplit everghing stays black. videodub even complains a lot and videokeeper2 wont open at all.... and ideas? thanks
nio

Post by nio »

my usb 3 is asmedia. also tried my usb 2 port all the same ... still nothing

now i also have 100% cpu usage. uninstalled all drivers and unpluged xcap, even afger restart 100% usage, how can i fix that???

thanks
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

nio wrote:now i also have 100% cpu usage. uninstalled all drivers and unpluged xcap, even afger restart 100% usage, how can i fix that???
That's an age-old driver bug. If memory serves right, setting the power plan to "Power saver" or "Balanced" in Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options fixed this for me in Windows 7.
nio

Post by nio »

Hi, thanks.

I now use the drivers from here:
https://thethrillness.blogspot.com/2015 ... eview.html

I use device on USB2.0 with AmarecTv. Works perfect!

One problem:
Sometimes games change resolution, then I have to press the secend menu button in amarectv to get sync again.
Is there some setting or automatic process?

Can I set Output to be exactly like input? for example input is 60fps then i also have set output to that and I would like auto settings instead of manual.

Thanks.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Was looking at the Micomsoft site for kicks, and it turns out they released a new version of their VideoKeeper software back in May when Adobe Flash R.I.P'd...

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xcapture-1.html

Not very exciting news, but may be of interest to some people (I'm plenty content with my FinalBaton drivers / OBS for my own use cases)
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

BTW, if anyone has lost their YPbPr + audio breakout cable, here is an affordable source:

I guess this isn't too surprising, but those 7-pin miniDIN YPbPr(sans-audio) breakout cables you can get for dirt cheap (for old ATI cards and whatnot) use the same pinout. Obviously you'd have to figure out an alternative for audio capture if you use one of these, but yeah!

https://pinouts.ru/Video/svideo_7pin_pinout.shtml
^ compared the pinout in that link to the image below... it says ElGato, but yeah I can personally attest it's the same pinout as the Yuan/Micomsoft/StarTech.

...hopefully this info is of use to SOMEONE!
SixFisted

Post by SixFisted »

Maybe I'm taking crazy pills, or perhaps the XCapture is the greatest lie since I was told I was special in the third grade for huffing glue and eating crayons; no one knows.

My current system is is follows:

EVGA GeForce GTX970
Ryzen 7 5900 processor
Gskill 32gb 3200 RAM
Crucial 500gb P2 NVMe Solid State Drive
MSI MPG X570 Motherboard
Windows 10 Pro x64
I set OBS to 320x240 for SNES and Genesis recording, it's set to 60fps game capture in OBS and on the options for the XCapture-1. I'm using drivers 1.1.0.141.5 and 1.1.0.141.0; both drivers come back with dropped frames in the same exact areas of three specific games: Sonic 2, Super Mario World, Super Castlevania IV. I've even tried the two latest drivers and neither one helped my situation at all.

From what I can tell I've checked and altered everything from system level to card level and no matter what I do I suffer the frame drop.

No, my board does not have Renesas or Intel USB; but even when I bought an internal PCIe Renesas USB card, I had the same exact issues at the same exact spots. I've tried both USB 3.0 and 2.0, and no matter what I have the same issue.

What am I missing? I went out today and bought a new power supply because someone hinted that a bad power supply could be the cause of a lot of issues with USB devices not performing up to spec. So far it hasn't altered a single thing other than reminding me why I love modular power supplies more than anything else in this world.

I don't know what other information to offer or gather.

Just want to capture game footage, build a massive following, say the gamer word, and release a long drawn out apology video where I sigh in the beginning for no apparent reason.

Help!

I'm sorry I come here to post a few desperate screams for answers. I offer nothing more than my dry wit and broken mind.

Edit: all of this is local. I don't stream at all.

Edit 2: Here's a video of me playing the first level of Super Castlevania. It's almost immediately prominent when I go up the first stairs and then through out the video.

Youtube does whatever youtube does, and it doesn't appear as severe; but I promise you it's very much there.

https://youtu.be/4ZlM7ZCkyKs
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Those two consoles are notorious for sync jitter - tried any other consoles/sources? That would be my first guess... can't say it is a super-informed guess, though!
SixFisted

Post by SixFisted »

kitty666cats wrote:Those two consoles are notorious for sync jitter - tried any other consoles/sources? That would be my first guess... can't say it is a super-informed guess, though!
Could have swore I included the fact I was using HD Retrovision cables; but I guess of all the details that one slipped first.

Not that I'm sure it'll have any bearing on the situation.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

That might not have any bearing...? Not sure. Do you have something else that you could feed the cap. card 15kHz component with, like a Wii or PS2 or DVD player?
SixFisted

Post by SixFisted »

I wish I could offer more insight to what the solution to my issue was; but the only thing I can publicly state is that I used a lot of language that would make Richard Pyor and George Carlin blush, while uninstalling and reinstalling drivers.

Now everything is as it should be, and for the life of me I can not figure what happened between point A and point B.

So, you know, that's always the fun side of trying to crack the code on why technology works.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Haha, I’m glad it worked for you - are you using FinalBaton’s drivers? I honestly have barely used my USB3HDCAP but it all seemed to be working well the couple times I have used the card. I’m kinda torn on whether I want to keep it, I almost never use the thing! Seems like the Datapath PCIe cards can sometimes be found cheaper… then there’s a few ultra-cheap USB 3.0 HDMI cards w/ 1080p 60Hz support too! Though the Startech accepting 15kHz RGB with almost zero fuss is nice…
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Anyone know if the USB3HDCAP accepts 15khz input via VGA/DVI port? I think the XCapture-1 does it so I assume so? I got some dsub cables from retro-access (granted they'll take months to get here since they don't do UK shipping so had to ask a friend to forward them for me). Eventually I'll get an upscaler that can accept it anyway but it would be a "for now" solution to just hook em up.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

AaronSR wrote:Anyone know if the USB3HDCAP accepts 15khz input via VGA/DVI port? I think the XCapture-1 does it so I assume so? I got some dsub cables from retro-access (granted they'll take months to get here since they don't do UK shipping so had to ask a friend to forward them for me). Eventually I'll get an upscaler that can accept it anyway but it would be a "for now" solution to just hook em up.
Yeah, absolutely - just needs to be RGBS csync (or RGBHV / RGsB... but you're not likely going to be using any 15kHz sources using those syncs). I forget if the sync needs to be at TTL-level voltage, though.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/201 ... eview.html

^ here is a link that'll explain a whole lot about feeding it 15kHz
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Yeah RGBS https://retro-access.com/collections/rg ... 4937190579

The only thing I need would be a 3.5mm to RCA which I should have somewhere already.
system11

Post by system11 »

Has anyone managed to get the XCapture-1 working on Windows 10? It keeps telling me the driver is 'incomplete or corrupt', I've tried several versions.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

system11 wrote:Has anyone managed to get the XCapture-1 working on Windows 10? It keeps telling me the driver is 'incomplete or corrupt', I've tried several versions.
Do you know who the manufacturer is for your USB 3.0 input? I don’t use Windows 10 but I do have a PCI-e USB 3.0 card made by Renesas… they are one of the recommended manufacturers. I don’t know if other ones listed as incompatible are *outright* 100% incompatible, or are spotty and have obtuse issues like the one you’re having…
SixFisted

Post by SixFisted »

Life is hell, and the world is chaos, and I'm not sure if I should post in here or somewhere else; but this feels like -the- correct place to post.

tl;dr plugged in a Sega Saturn I was taking a look at to repair, didn't realize someone had taken the screws out of the power jack to begin with, this caused my to push the power supply down on the rf-shielding below and cause a power surge which flowed back into my TV, my Gcomp Switch, and I'm assuming it sent voltage down the AV lines, because now my XCapture-1 has incredibly soft and quiet audio on the right channel input.

On a plus side, if I use the s-video/composite video cable and plug in audio through that, comes out loud, proud, and clear as a whistle. The same for HDMI. So whatever chip handles the audio side would appear to be undamaged, and taking it apart there's smd capacitors on the right and left audio line. I can only assume those capacitors took a bath on me, and I need to replace them, however not a single one of those itty-bitty bastards has a single identifiable marking on it.

Would anyone happen to have access to the schematics for the Xcapture-1?

When I measure voltage to the first three caps in line for the right channel audio, they all read 0, so this is why I'm assuming they're toast.

Or if someone could open their unit and test those caps for me to let me know what they are, I would be GREATLY appreciative.

I've been out of work since the beginning of the year and this is simply a financial blow I can't take to get another Xcapture.

Thanks in advance!
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

AaronSR wrote:Yeah RGBS https://retro-access.com/collections/rg ... 4937190579

The only thing I need would be a 3.5mm to RCA which I should have somewhere already.
Slightly off topic, I got these cables for SFC and PS2. I'm somewhat concerned with my SFC Jr. which has the RGB bypass installed, and I wonder if usb3hdcap can handle TTL CSync or not. Like I had a cheapo upscaler get fried from using a passthrough scart cable recommended by the modder/seller (see here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69557). The retro-access Dsub cable has 3 capacitors but no resistors right, would this be safe for the usb3hdcap or does it not support TTL C Sync on the Dsub input? The SNESRGB board I have doesn't have the TTL thing on it that most pictures/videos show.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

USB3HDCAP *expects* TTL level sync voltage on the DVI-I input - it’s mainly meant for VGA, after all
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

kitty666cats wrote:USB3HDCAP *expects* TTL level sync voltage on the DVI-I input - it’s mainly meant for VGA, after all
Okay so theres no risk of frying this expensive capture card :mrgreen:

I decided to go ahead and try it and it seems fine however there is gradual audio desync (I assume this is a result of not having a dejitter mod?), I am looking into getting a GBS-C from aliexpress which I believe the frame lock feature is supposed to combat this?

One of these ones: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004167274730.html
Lincolnlog

Post by Lincolnlog »

Has anyone been able to get 60fps for 240p content with the USB3HDCAP? I’m finding 30fps is just too choppy for the quality I was going for. I can get 60fps through hdmi but not for analog content.
Nebula

Post by Nebula »

Bumping this thread to ask if anyone has successfully made xcapture-1 drivers work on Windows 11.
I need to choose between Windows 10 and 11 to be installed in a new laptop and this is important.
Thanks in advance
Overheat

Post by Overheat »

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have a Startech USB3HDCAP that I've been using on and off for many years. I've just decided to try and record some Sega Mega Drive (PAL) over RGB and I can't seem to get a picture.

I'm using a Packapunch RGB SCART cable, which I plan to use with an Active SCART Buffer V3 to split the signal to my CRT and capture device simulataneously. To convert the RGB SCART signal to my Startech, I have a Sync strike.

When I try to capture, I'm just getting a black screen, though I am getting audio. It's showing an input resolution of 720x288 on Streamcatcher, but no picture. I've tried bypassing the SCART Buffer and instead plugged the packapunch cable straight into the Sync strike, but it has the same result.

If I try OBS Studio then it shows as 1440x288 @ 50FPS. This also shows my driver version as 1.1.0.185.4 I'm using a GPD Win Max as my laptop if this helps.

I've tried the same setup with Amiga, PS1 and OG Xbox and all seemed fine, but can't seem to get this to work.
Any help or advice as to what I can try is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Paul.
Overheat

Post by Overheat »

Hi all,

I finally managed to get the capture working by rolling back my drivers to 1.1.0.140, however, now I have a new issue - i'm getting really bad banding on the output - you can see an example here: https://youtu.be/MQmMe08B870

It seems to be related to phase as when I adjust this, the lines move left to right, also, they move when I change the power source on hte Sync Strike from 5v to Scart, so must be something to do with the Sync Strike itself. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or do I need to use something other than the sync strike to convert RGB Scart to VGA to avoid this?

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Paul.
zouzzz

Post by zouzzz »

Hi,

I have Xcapture-1 with 2 PC : the 1st with W10 and the 2nd with W11.

I have follow this instruction https://thethrillness.blogspot.com/2015 ... eview.html and all my PC have the 100% CPU bug.
When I delete the thrillnes's drivers, the bug is always here.
When I replace the original drivers (1.1.0.178.0), the bug is always here.

How can I fix the bug ?

Thanks.

edit 1:
cmd
+

Code: Select all

PowerCfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR IDLEDISABLE 000

PowerCfg /SETACTIVE SCHEME_CURRENT
Works for the moment.

edit 2 :
Works again.
1-Create file with block-note (Windows).
2-Copy :

Code: Select all

@echo off
PowerCfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR IDLEDISABLE 000
PowerCfg /SETACTIVE SCHEME_CURRENT
3-Save with the name 100%CPU_Killer.cmd (select ALL FILE in Type when you save the file).

How to use :
When the CPU bugs at 100%, launch 100%CPU_Killer.cmd
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -