HORI X360 REAL ARCADE PRO (RAP) VX SE (KAI) Stick Rap Sheet

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Domino

HORI X360 REAL ARCADE PRO (RAP) VX SE (KAI) Stick Rap Sheet

Post by Domino »

With people buying a lot of joysticks for the X360 I think it would be worth it to talk about this joystick. Before you read I must say sorry if I got some of my facts wrong throughout this rap sheet.

HORI X360 REAL ARCADE PRO (RAP) VX SE (KAI)

As of today (7/20/13) you can order one per person from Arcade Shock here.

Few years back Hori released the Real Arcade Pro (RAP) SA series of sticks for both the PS3 and the X360. To make it simple for you:

HORI Real Arcade Pro V3-SA = PS3
HORI Real Arcade Pro VX-SA = X360

SA means Sanwa since the sticks uses full Sanwa parts (JLF + OBSF 24/30 mm)

Videos of HORI Real Arcade Pro VX-SA in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7osk2TlI20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7tseSyaO7g (the inside of the stick)

Both sticks were popular enough that people actually brought them and gave pointers to Hori on how to improve the stick design. Some stated the spacing between the joystick and buttons were too close, the top button layout near the PS3/360 button with the turbo feature could be improved, and the stick moves too easy on a table.

With the feedback Hori release the Kai edition of both sticks for their perspectives systems.

The new naming scheme:

HORI Real Arcade Pro V3-SA Kai = PS3
HORI Real Arcade Pro VX-SA Kai = X360

For starters the joystick/button spacing is a little more spread out which makes it easier to have your left hand not hitting any of your buttons. Button layout at the top was changed per feedback and two rubble like material covers most of the bottom of the stick so the stick will not be moving anywhere anytime soon. Both of these sticks were release in the US, and once again they use the full Sanwa parts.

Problem is that I'm not a fan of Sanwas at all. I always been a Seimitsu joystick/button user with the LS-32-01 being the stick I often use the most for many arcade titles. I could buy one of their sticks and completely mod the system with full Seimitsu parts or try to find a stick with Seimitsu parts already installed and ready to go. Little did I know Hori did a limited special run of the Real Arcade Pro VX that actually use full Seimitsu parts!

X360 REAL ARCADE PRO (RAP) VX SE

Notice it said SE, not SA.

For my understanding they only release this stick for the X360 in Japan only. Joystick is the LS-32-01, Play buttons are the PS-14-G while the Start button is the PS-14-D.

Note: I only use this on a PC only.

I really think Hori did an excellent job with the Kai edition of the RAP sticks. I found playing various arcade games to be excellent on the stick with perfect controls. My hands don't get fatigue when playing on the stick for long periods of time and personally I like the palm rest that near the bottom of the stick. Another nice feature I like is the button layout that is at top of the stick near the X360 button. With the usual turbo controls you can also change the Start/Back button (Start button on the joystick can be change to the small button near the X360 button) and also you can change RB/LB to either be the two joystick buttons or the two small buttons at top of the stick. Regarding RB/LB I personally like to assign both of them to the two small buttons for MAME and my plan is to remove the two joystick buttons from the stick and install some Sanwa button plugs and made the stick into a Capcom layout stick.

As I stated the stick included with this stick is the LS-32-01. All LS-32-01s should come with a resistor plate at the bottom of it. By default it is on an eight way with a square gate. You can change the resistor gate to make it four way (excellent for Tetris Grand Master) or two way.

They are people who prefer the octo gates that is on the other Seimitsu sticks. On the LS-32-01 you can either do one of the following if you don't want to use the square gate for fighters/other games:

http://www.focusattack.com/seimitsu-ls- ... tor-plate/ (This has a circular plate eight way, I just ordered this because it's cheap)
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1163234/ ... erialId=66 (pricey)

My only issue is that I found square gates to be a little restrictive when it comes to fighting games so I want to use one of these plates to see if it would be easier for me to do quarter circle motions.

Speaking about changing things on the joystick let me talk about how it is to open up the stick. Refer the second Youtube video where you can see insides of the un-Kai X360 stick (trust me except for the Sanwa stuff and joystick placement it looks the same on the inside). One nice thing regarding the VLX Hori sticks is that the wire layout is clean and makes it easy to swap buttons/joystick. On these sticks and you can see it in the video everything is a little condense and can be tricky at first in removing the button wires from the bottom. Actually I always hate removing the button wires out at first because those wires are so stiff. Of course once you remove the wires once putting them back/removing them are easy! Buttons are just push in buttons. If you want to remove the buttons just remove the button wires first then press the buttons tabs from below and push the button from the inside of the stick and out! Install buttons are easy, just pop them in and hook up both button wires. Pretty much most if not all 24/30mm Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons should fit just fine.

Regarding the LS-32-01 the stick does use a SS mounting plate that is suppose to also fit a LS-40 in it. I would presume you would need to replace the mounting plate if you want to use other Seimitsu sticks or perhaps put in a Sanwa in it. If doing that I would presume you would need to do some slight modding if you want to use different mounting places. Just a FYI I never replace full blown sticks before and to be honest if the current LS-32-01 is no good I would put in another LS-32-01 in it.

Pretty much that's what I have to say about this stick. I'll talk more about the plates when I get them.

My to dos on this stick:

*Remove the RB/LB buttons and put in the Sanwa button plugs.
*Install the circular plate in the stick and see how well it works.
*If I feel like it replace the buttons with different Seimitsu buttons with a different color layout.

If you have questions just shoot them out. :)
Thjodbjorn

Re: HORI X360 REAL ARCADE PRO (RAP) VX SE (KAI) Stick Rap Sh

Post by Thjodbjorn »

I have that stick, too. I like it. I switched the lb/rb and lt/rt buttons, and plugged the last two holes, as well as switching the colored buttons for black seimitsus.
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

not sure if this is 100% related but I recently bought a VX-SA and I'm hoping to switch the stick out for a LS-56. im told it should be easy to install with the correct mounting plate however I don't know what that would be, any idea?
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

Domino

Post by Domino »

PAPER/ARTILLERY wrote:not sure if this is 100% related but I recently bought a VX-SA and I'm hoping to switch the stick out for a LS-56. im told it should be easy to install with the correct mounting plate however I don't know what that would be, any idea?
I do know you will have to change out the plates because Sanwa and Seimitsu plates are different. I think Focusattack.com has a LS-56/58 mounting plate for sale. Since your current stick is a Sanwa you might need to do a mod if the screws that's in the joystick don't match the LS-56/58 mounting plate holes.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

PAPER/ARTILLERY wrote:not sure if this is 100% related but I recently bought a VX-SA and I'm hoping to switch the stick out for a LS-56. im told it should be easy to install with the correct mounting plate however I don't know what that would be, any idea?
Please take a photo of your current joystick and how it's mounted.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
spl

Post by spl »

emphatic wrote:
Please take a photo of your current joystick and how it's mounted.
Hey - http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/seimitsu-joystick - this guy has alot of pics of Seimitsu sticks mounted in various sticks. Not sure if the VX-SA is in there but there are many pages and the guy himself is very informative about how to mount seimitsu sticks and I'm sure he would respond to an email. He sells stuff pretty cheap too on the site.

I'm interested in the HRAP VX SE KAI but how can I get this in Australia ??
PAPER/ARTILLERY

emphatic wrote: Please take a photo of your current joystick and how it's mounted.
I'll pop it open later and post up some pictures, thanks in advance.
spl wrote:this guy has alot of pics of Seimitsu sticks mounted in various sticks. Not sure if the VX-SA is in there but there are many pages and the guy himself is very informative about how to mount seimitsu sticks and I'm sure he would respond to an email.
Thanks bud, if I can't figure it out with emphatic's help i'll have a word with him.

PAPER/ARTILLERY

Here's a couple of pictures of the guts, are these okay?

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I can't give you truthful answer (I just don't know this) so I googled it and came up with this little nugget:
The Seimitsu LS-58-01 joystick comes with the flat MS plate, which can install on MadCatz TE. We also carry the Seimitsu LS 58 SE Flat Mounting Plate P=40, which is considered one of Seimitsu's most versatile plates. The plates mount on practically any "universal" mounting spot (HRAP 3 SA/SE or HRAP V3/VX SA) as well as seemingly "JLF-only" HRAP 3's and licensed HRAP's like the Arcana Heart 2 joystick (as explained by SRK's GeorgeC).
Meaning that you should get a P-40 plate along with your LS-56 and you should be fine. :) You can buy the LS-58 now from http://www.focusattack.com/joystick/seimitsu/ and they also sell the LS-55 spring, P-40 plate and octogate. Putting an LS-55 spring on a LS-58 basically turnes it into an LS-56.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
PAPER/ARTILLERY

emphatic wrote:I can't give you truthful answer (I just don't know this) so I googled it and came up with this little nugget:
The Seimitsu LS-58-01 joystick comes with the flat MS plate, which can install on MadCatz TE. We also carry the Seimitsu LS 58 SE Flat Mounting Plate P=40, which is considered one of Seimitsu's most versatile plates. The plates mount on practically any "universal" mounting spot (HRAP 3 SA/SE or HRAP V3/VX SA) as well as seemingly "JLF-only" HRAP 3's and licensed HRAP's like the Arcana Heart 2 joystick (as explained by SRK's GeorgeC).
Meaning that you should get a P-40 plate along with your LS-56 and you should be fine. :) You can buy the LS-58 now from http://www.focusattack.com/joystick/seimitsu/ and they also sell the LS-55 spring, P-40 plate and octogate. Putting an LS-55 spring on a LS-58 basically turnes it into an LS-56.
Oh great thanks emphatic! I'll get my order placed then!

Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

At the folks with a Kai, does the extra space make a big difference?
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

Lord of Pirates wrote:At the folks with a Kai, does the extra space make a big difference?
I never had a problem with the original Vewlix spacing, and the difference is subtle at best.

I'd have preferred a Noir button layout, but that's why I have plugs, I guess.