Alternative to arcade RGB monitors - PAL TVs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
azmun

Alternative to arcade RGB monitors - PAL TVs

Post by azmun »

I can't help but notice how some go to great lengths to get their favorite consoles/games running on RGB monitors. These vary from modifying (NTSC) tvs to tracking down various types of monitors (not to mention the hassle involved with the connections/wirings). Why not consider getting a PAL tv with the Euro/SCART connection since this seems like a much simpler alternative?
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

TVs are heavy.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Two words: Atlantic Ocean. :wink:
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Not to mention the inherent risks of putting a TV in tate, regardless of region, as opposed to a monitor.
D

Re: Alternative to arcade RGB monitors - PAL TVs

Post by D »

azmun wrote:I can't help but notice how some go to great lengths to get their favorite consoles/games running on RGB monitors. These vary from modifying (NTSC) tvs to tracking down various types of monitors (not to mention the hassle involved with the connections/wirings). Why not consider getting a PAL tv with the Euro/SCART connection since this seems like a much simpler alternative?
I too don't understand. It's like they don't even put any effort into it.
One word: Imigration of European citizens into the US that bring their tv that is now useless so they will sell it to you.

Multisystem tv's. There is not one tv in the US sold with RGB scart?
Those stories about finding a small Commodore monitor are pathetic.
No one on this forum that lives in the US has a RGB SCART tv? share with others how you got it.

Note to everyone: everyone is aware that there are service menus in tv's right? In these service menus you can change settings like the ones on computer monitors. menus are activated with secret key combinations. They are not advertised but to be used only by technicians (and shmup-members with above average nowledge) Codes can be found on the net (not allways) Some tv's do not even have a service menu. Like my 55cm Grundig ST55-550 txt. :cry: All models after that got it :?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

D wrote: Note to everyone: everyone is aware that there are service menus in tv's right? In these service menus you can change settings like the ones on computer monitors.
Service menu controls aren't always quite as extensive as in monitors. At least on my TV the settings don't go far enough to be able to see a tate image correctly (tate hosei works, of course).

And I really doubt that many immigrants bring their PAL TVs along for the ride. People know about the NTSC/PAL difference, plus there are the issues mannerbot and Specineff mentioned. Pulling figures out of my ass I'd guess one or two TVs make it yearly. And those few ones might end up in the trash since they're useless to the immigrants and are probabaly very hard to sell forward or pawn.

No, the monitor angle is much simpler for you across the pond. Find a 1084S (common as apples, I believe) and phone Matt for cables. Ba-da-bing, ba-da-bum, done.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
D

Post by D »

Ghegs wrote:
D wrote: Note to everyone: everyone is aware that there are service menus in tv's right? In these service menus you can change settings like the ones on computer monitors.
Service menu controls aren't always quite as extensive as in monitors. At least on my TV the settings don't go far enough to be able to see a tate image correctly (tate hosei works, of course).

And I really doubt that many immigrants bring their PAL TVs along for the ride. People know about the NTSC/PAL difference, plus there are the issues mannerbot and Specineff mentioned. Pulling figures out of my ass I'd guess one or two TVs make it yearly. And those few ones might end up in the trash since they're useless to the immigrants and are probabaly very hard to sell forward or pawn.

No, the monitor angle is much simpler for you across the pond. Find a 1084S (common as apples, I believe) and phone Matt for cables. Ba-da-bing, ba-da-bum, done.
People do not know about the NTSC/PAL difference, but they do know about the different power 220/110 volts, so indeed they might not bring it at all.

I'm just trying to help everyone have a good gaming experience.
Multi system tv's then? They do exist. I know of at least one place that has them. Curacao (yeah near Aruba) they are 110 volts multi system tv's so they do definatly exist.
*I'm out of idea's for you guys* Sorry I couln't be of any help.
If someone ever wants to buy a European set. I'm willing to choose an appropiate set and ship it for you. And I won't even charge anything if you are a member of this forum. I live in the Netherlands. Shipping will probably be huge! But then again by boat..........
azmun

Post by azmun »

D wrote:If someone ever wants to buy a European set. I'm willing to choose an appropiate set and ship it for you. And I won't even charge anything if you are a member of this forum. I live in the Netherlands. Shipping will probably be huge! But then again by boat..........
I'm currently using a multi-system LOEWE and very satisfied. The image quality is amazing, identical to what you see and expect from the arcades. However, lately I've been considering getting a bigger one (around 30"). Can you recommend a good set or a few particular models? I'm thinking that the ones manufactured by Panasonic, Philips and Mitsubishi are all good ones.
D

Post by D »

azmun wrote:
D wrote:If someone ever wants to buy a European set. I'm willing to choose an appropiate set and ship it for you. And I won't even charge anything if you are a member of this forum. I live in the Netherlands. Shipping will probably be huge! But then again by boat..........
I'm currently using a multi-system LOEWE and very satisfied. The image quality is amazing, identical to what you see and expect from the arcades. However, lately I've been considering getting a bigger one (around 30"). Can you recommend a good set or a few particular models? I'm thinking that the ones manufactured by Panasonic, Philips and Mitsubishi are all good ones.
Loewe is an upper class brand, philips and panasonic are below that quality.

Mitsubishi I don't know.

Philips is better than Panasonic (in General)
Philips is Dutch and I'm Dutch (coincidence?)

And I don't think there are huge differences (anymore) in tv's.
It just comes down to what you want:
-size
-design (color)
-prize
-4:3 or 16:9

Choose your destiny.
And I don't know where you live.

I'd say it doesn't really matter what tv you choose.
Make sure it can sit on it's side for TATE.
Make sure that you know the service menu code to centre the image.
azmun

Post by azmun »

D wrote:And I don't think there are huge differences (anymore) in tv's.
-size
-design (color)
-price
Quite the contrary, I think now there are more choices and choosing the optimal tv for you becomes much more complicated. There are plasmas, LCDs and the traditional CRTs (which all seem to vary greatly in quality, IMHO). Then, (at least for PAL) there's 50 hz or 100 hz. For gaming though, I'd say stick with 4:3 and tubes as this offers the best image quality. Plus, it's still currently the most economical.
D wrote:Choose your destiny.

I've played several vertical shooters and generally can't get into them except for the very few. Among them, only Battle Garegga gives you the option to flip your tv sideways (Souky and Radiant Silvergun doesn't allow this AFAIK). Hmm, I really ought to learn this service menu as virtually all the games I play running on NTSC systems in RGB mode seems to be shifted to the far left of the screen resulting in the corner being cut.
SAM

Post by SAM »

azmun wrote:
-size
-design (color)
-price
Quite the contrary, I think now there are more choices and choosing the optimal tv for you becomes much more complicated. There are plasmas, LCDs and the traditional CRTs (which all seem to vary greatly in quality, IMHO). Then, (at least for PAL) there's 50 hz or 100 hz. For gaming though, I'd say stick with 4:3 and tubes as this offers the best image quality. Plus, it's still currently the most economical.
Agreed, since...

plasmas

Altrough plasmas are usually huge, but they are all in 16:9. When displaying 4:3 images, the displaying image is only around 29". And the resolution of the image is worse than a normal 29" TV...

LCDs

The reaction time is of the LCD would be a important issue when playing shumps. They are very Tateable, finding a real good one with fast reaction time and a large screen cost $$$

traditional CRTs

They are cheap and offers the best image quality. But they are very sensitive to magnitac field. Rotating them a lot would ruin their picture, make sure you know how to degauss them. A TV permenently put in the rotated position would be a better choice.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
D

Post by D »

azmun wrote:
-size
-design (color)
-price
D wrote:Choose your destiny.

I've played several vertical shooters and generally can't get into them except for the very few. Among them, only Battle Garegga gives you the option to flip your tv sideways (Souky and Radiant Silvergun doesn't allow this AFAIK). Hmm, I really ought to learn this service menu as virtually all the games I play running on NTSC systems in RGB mode seems to be shifted to the far left of the screen resulting in the corner being cut.
plasmas tft's and crt are allready covered in the price section (thanks for the correctional quoting of the word prize)
50 hz or 100 hz, again price. Go for 100 I'd say.
But what no-one really knows is:
Can European 100 Hz tv's display 120 hz 480p NTSC progressive scan?
just curious.

Who wouln't choose a plasma 100 hz 4:3 over a crt 50 hz 4:3.
All comes down to the price.
What I meant was that all tv's here have RGB SCART.
So choose your brand.
Then choose size.

Or get something on sale.

On the other hand, sending a 4:3 TFT saves $$$$'s on shipping charges.