NEC XM29 Plus not powering on

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SePh1r0tH

NEC XM29 Plus not powering on

Post by SePh1r0tH »

Soooo a few days ago I turned on my NEC XM29 while having a lot of other electronics running off the same surge protector and I saw some sparks fly lol.

The monitor now will not power on fully. The fans do not start and you can hear 3 clicks coming from somewhere inside whenever I try to power it up.

The red standby light is on and solid (no blinking or anything)

I opened it up and checked the fuse for the power supply...still good.

Any ideas what else I could check out?

Thanks!
Dave
kamiboy

Re: NEC XM29 Plus not powering on

Post by kamiboy »

I believe I read somewhere that the XM monitors will not turn on if there is something wrong with the fan.
ryu

Post by ryu »

kamiboy wrote:I believe I read somewhere that the XM monitors will not turn on if there is something wrong with the fan.
yep. you need to replace the existing fans with identical ones though
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
SePh1r0tH

Post by SePh1r0tH »

Ahh thanks, I read that in the manual as well. However it says that if there is a fan issue the red standby light would blink every second. I think it is some kind of power failure. The fans seem fine..but I could be wrong.
ryu

Post by ryu »

if it was a serious issue with the psu, i think you wouldn't even be getting any clicking and the power led's color...

actually, you've made sure you're using the correct input, yes? iirc the necs click like that whenever you switch around inputs.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
SePh1r0tH

Post by SePh1r0tH »

Yea I've been using my 2 NEC monitors for a few years now, I'll try finding a replacement fan. It may be a problem with one of the relays for the psu, I'm going to try to clean them up a bit. It's not the same clicking noise when switching inputs. Thanks for all the tips!
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

SePh1r0tH wrote:Yea I've been using my 2 NEC monitors for a few years now, I'll try finding a replacement fan. It may be a problem with one of the relays for the psu, I'm going to try to clean them up a bit. It's not the same clicking noise when switching inputs. Thanks for all the tips!

I am having exactly the same Problem with my XM29.

were you able to fix it somehow?

thanks for you help
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

The EXACT same thing happened to my XM29 about two years ago. I had an authorized repair shop in NYC fix it and it worked fine until recently, when the same thing happened again. The repair cost about $250, but on the work order, it seemed like they only replaced 5 parts:

FMQG5G Damper Diode - Qty = 1

J306 Transistor - Qty = 2

2SC5144 Transistor - Qty = 2

Would anyone know where to find these components inside the monitor? Also, does anyone have an idea what's causing the problem? I'd love to get this permanently repaired, as well as do a full cap replacement and calibration. I plan on keeping this monitor forever, so I'd like it to last.
Rochabian

Post by Rochabian »

I come back on this forum to share a solution for loud fan and their replacement on a NEC XM29+
After searching many ways to do it, here's a simple solution :
You have to connect the sensor of each of the three fan to the ground.
So connect the 3 yellow wires coming from the board to the ground and you can use any fan for replacement

Hope it helps preserving this amazing CRT!!!
flynnsbit

Post by flynnsbit »

Rochabian wrote:I come back on this forum to share a solution for loud fan and their replacement on a NEC XM29+
After searching many ways to do it, here's a simple solution :
You have to connect the sensor of each of the three fan to the ground.
So connect the 3 yellow wires coming from the board to the ground and you can use any fan for replacement

Hope it helps preserving this amazing CRT!!!
Good stuff! I am going to try on my XP.
Rochabian

Post by Rochabian »

I've replaced the three fans with standard PC 12V fan but they are powered in 5V instead of 12V by an external power supply to reduce RPM and noise
Sorry for the scheme, if someone can do it better ;)
This monitor has never been so quiet!!!!!!!!
You can also reuse the 12V original wires and you can put a 1Kohm potentiometer between 12V and fans to control their speed