New SLG-HD (component version) available NOW!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fagin

Re: New SLG-HD (component version) available NOW!

Post by fagin »

Are all you guys adjusting the scanline density dip sw's - what effect do they have on the picture?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Nothing happens to the picture on mine. It does kind of flicker for a second when I turn it on, but that's the only life I get out of it.
fagin

Post by fagin »

I'd get in contact with arcade forge.
holaplaneta

Post by holaplaneta »

Hey there, I got a slightly used SLG HD YUV Edition with case and US power adapter from a member on the shmups forums.

When I connect it to my wii, the signals on 480i look ok, but when I switch to 480p the image looks slightly doubled (like horizontal ghosting) it´s very noticeable and even when I have played with the DIP and all other switches on the SLG, it never gets correct. I have tried the wii with three different component cables on three different displays. It´s always the same.

On the wii at 480i it looks ok, but after a minute the lines starts flickering, coming and going, shaking. It´s feels like an electricity or syncing issue for me. After a while sometimes it gets really crazy with horizontal lines moving fast out of place and jumping around the screen. I´m using the pollin power supply with an american outlet adapter that came with the device.

On my Xbox 360 over 480p the image looks ok. Once turned on, the device takes like 5 seconds to stabilize the scanlines, the lines last about two minutes totally static, but then after a while the same issue of before starts to happen, the lines start to slightly flicker, coming and going and sometimes (like one in five) after a while it gets crazy like I said before.

I suppose I got a lemon but I already have a SLG3000 and I love it. I would like to make this one work or to repair it if it´s worth it since it might be expensive.

I have some pictures of the issue and some videos of my screen. I would like to see if there´s any way that this device can be repaired under warranty or if you have some suggestions of what I would have to do to make it work properly. I already contacted arcade forge and I´m waiting for their response. I just wanted to see if any of you guys have any idea or suggestions on the issue.

Thank you all and have a nice year.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Sounds like your unit is goosed.
holaplaneta

Post by holaplaneta »

ArcadeForge is amazing. Jochen is exchanging me the device for a new one. :D

GREAT SERVICE! :mrgreen:

Update: I got the new one and it´s perfect!! Kudos to ArcadeForge!
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

I tested this on my LG and as stated earlier I can see stronger scanlines will cause the picture to lose it's source. Also noting that highest settings will cause a little interference in the upper portion of the screen.

I did test out some other things like hooking it up to my vga/hdmi transcoder as well as my cga/vga card along with HDBox pro. It seems like they might have the ability to handle scanlines at 100% max settings (like SLG3000), but that's not something I'm sure of. bencao74, can you do some more testing with this on your own and find out if it'll fully work on other devices?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Will the consoles with lower than 480p resolutions work with the SLG HD if you have an XRGB before it in the AV chain line doubling them to 480p?

I use a VGA->Component transcoder at the end of my loop so i could potentially use it there. .
Last edited by spaceape on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Why not just use the XRGB's scanlines ?
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Fudoh wrote:Why not just use the XRGB's scanlines ?
I wanted 240p-like scanlines for my PS2's 480i material. I don't think the XRGB's internal scanline generator works good with that.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Right, but then I would use a VGA-SLG unit between the XRGB and the transcoder, not a component one after the transcoder.
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Fudoh wrote:Right, but then I would use a VGA-SLG unit between the XRGB and the transcoder, not a component one after the transcoder.
My problem is that my TV and XRGB together doesn't work with 480p (signal blinking in & out). I've solved this problem by bypassing the XRGB with those trouble consoles and passing them directly into a component switcher instead.

I already own the slg3000 but if i want scanlines for those other consoles i need something like the SLD HD. I also don't want to repeatedly have to go to the back and turn off/on one or the others. So if the SLG HD work well with everything when placing it after the XRGB i'll sell my SLG3000.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

. So if the SLG HD work well with everything when placing it after the XRGB
it doesn't. And don't expect the SLG3000's performance either.

My TV didn't like the XRGB-3 in 480p either until I put an RGB interface put the TV. Eventually my setup looked like this:

XRGB-3 > RGB INTERFACE > SLG > TV

Component sources were connected to the RGB interface through a transcoder (and a switch). In your setup the transcoder would be placed between the SLG and the TV. With an interface added your issues should be gone.
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Fudoh wrote:
. So if the SLG HD work well with everything when placing it after the XRGB
it doesn't. And don't expect the SLG3000's performance either.

My TV didn't like the XRGB-3 in 480p either until I put an RGB interface put the TV. Eventually my setup looked like this:

XRGB-3 > RGB INTERFACE > SLG > TV

Component sources were connected to the RGB interface through a transcoder (and a switch). In your setup the transcoder would be placed between the SLG and the TV. With an interface added your issues should be gone.
What exactly doesn't work properly with the SLG HD? Is it the scanlines that still only are half of what they should be? So even though the XRGB linedoubles the 240/480i image it still won't show the scanlines properly?

Which RGB interface would you recommend? I also have a Dreamcast VGA connection passed by itself directly to the tc1600 vga->component transcoder.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What exactly doesn't work properly with the SLG HD?
you're limited in the density and the whole chain very much depends on proper output levels. You easily lose sync and some sources (360) work better than others (PS2). The scanlines will also look different on different background colors, since the scanlines only get applied to the luma channel, while they get applied to the RGB channels on the VGA version.

The SLG-HD is really nice for single system setups, especially the 360 (360 > SLG > TV), but with a complex setup like yours you need the VGA SLG. I've really tried it all.

For interfaces: if you get one with vertical shift, you can swap even/odd scanlines via the interface and you don't have to use the dips on the SLG any longer. Extron 201 and 203.
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Fudoh wrote:
What exactly doesn't work properly with the SLG HD?
you're limited in the density and the whole chain very much depends on proper output levels. You easily lose sync and some sources (360) work better than others (PS2). The scanlines will also look different on different background colors, since the scanlines only get applied to the luma channel, while they get applied to the RGB channels on the VGA version.

The SLG-HD is really nice for single system setups, especially the 360 (360 > SLG > TV), but with a complex setup like yours you need the VGA SLG. I've really tried it all.

For interfaces: if you get one with vertical shift, you can swap even/odd scanlines via the interface and you don't have to use the dips on the SLG any longer. Extron 201 and 203.
Alright i understand but would i still get 240 scanlines on all consoles led through the XRGB and then to the SLG HD or only 120?

Can i please get the full model names of those Extrons? Today i ordered this: http://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/s ... witch-p388 so that i could have both my XRGB VGA and Dreamcast VGA led to my tv at the same time without having to switch AV cables. But i might return it if those Extrons serve me better. :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Alright i understand but would i still get 240 scanlines on all consoles led through the XRGB and then to the SLG HD or only 120?
240 of course.
Can i please get the full model names of those Extrons?
Extron RGB 201 rxi and 203 rxi. The 203 model has a 3:1 VGA switch built in. But don't overpay. 100 quid on ebay.co.uk are too much.
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Fudoh wrote:
240 of course.
Can i please get the full model names of those Extrons?
Extron RGB 201 rxi and 203 rxi. The 203 model has a 3:1 VGA switch built in. But don't overpay. 100 quid on ebay.co.uk are too much.
Thank you for you help. How do i led the bnc output of the Extron to the component inputs on my tv? Do i need a transcoder?

Maybe use a bnc->vga cable and then to my tc1600.. Unless there exists a better solution?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Yes, but you already got one. You just need to re-arrange. DC before the Extron. Extron > SLG > transcoder. And for your other component sources, you should be able to go Source > Switch > XRGB.
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Fudoh wrote:Yes, but you already got one. You just need to re-arrange. DC before the Extron. Extron > SLG > transcoder. And for your other component sources, you should be able to go Source > Switch > XRGB.
Grand. :D The TC1600 was a little spicy. So im happy that i can reuse it. :mrgreen:
Guiile3dfX

Post by Guiile3dfX »

hello friends ... bought my bs-hd in January, that even in January lol and he received here today 15-04 rsrsr, I live in Brazil for it, but I was one of the first to buy the slg3000 here ... and think fantastic so we also got the slg-hd ... the problem to my sorrow it does not work ... I tried in every way and resolutions and etc .... Several sources ... before asking the exchange to "Jochen "I wanted to hear from you ... boring I saw that there tional units sale.

http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strik ... n::97.html

look what happens:

Video!

https://youtu.be/xMbq3QW5xAU
Great!!!!!! slg 3000..the very best old games in lcd!!!!!
Guiile3dfX

Post by Guiile3dfX »

... Jochen is already providing the return exchange refund ... a shame ... but it happens ...

:cry:
Great!!!!!! slg 3000..the very best old games in lcd!!!!!
OmegaKoopa

Post by OmegaKoopa »

Was wondering if any more of these are being made available for sell, apparently they are sold out at the moment.

Really want to use this with my PS3/Wii + the Edge combo for scanlines.
elmimmo

Post by elmimmo »

OmegaKoopa wrote:Was wondering if any more of these are being made available for sell, apparently they are sold out at the moment.
I am also waiting to see if more are made in order to order one.
elmimmo

Post by elmimmo »

Being sold-out and having no restock planned, are there any other similarly priced options to generate scanlines on progressive video signals via component cables? I live in Europe and therefore my TV does not support VGA input, so VGA-based scanline generators like the SLG3000 or RetroVGA 2 are not an option.
Last edited by elmimmo on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's really complicated. Your best shot would be to get Marqs's OSSC along with a HDMI to analogue converter.
RetroGame❤

Post by RetroGame❤ »

elmimmo wrote:Being sold-out and having no restocked planned, are there any other similarly priced options to generate scanlines on progressive video signals via component cables? I live in Europe and therefore my TV does not support VGA input, so VGA-based scanline generators like the SLG3000 or RetroVGA 2 are not an option.
Mine's up for sale if you're interested... http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55749
beharius

Post by beharius »

elmimmo

Post by elmimmo »

beharius wrote:GARO will be available soon...
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... hilit=Garo
I do not see how the GARO could serve as a substitute for the SLG-HD for European TVs: it outputs video via VGA, which, I insist, most European TVs do not have an input for AFAIK—not mine, at least—or SCART, which most TVs will not accept 480p from.
beharius

Post by beharius »

Yes, you are right, not a direct substitute. However it enables to add scanlines to the video sources with component output, the output will be VGA. Scart output for progressive resolutions is only used with upscalers or monitors.