New SLG-HD (component version) available NOW!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
headlesshobbs

Re: New SLG-HD (component version) available NOW!

Post by headlesshobbs »

Those certainly do look weak and even more so when compared to Fagin's video on youtube.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
ryu

Post by ryu »

Ganelon wrote:
ryu wrote:the scanlines are certainly a bit weak on the ps2, but still enough to sharpen the image up and make it look less muddy.
Is your device on the darkest setting? Those scanlines certainly look a lot weaker than the default setting on an SLG3000.
yes, that's the darkest setting on the ps2
headlesshobbs wrote:Those certainly do look weak and even more so when compared to Fagin's video on youtube.
that's because fagin was running the digitally distributed version on a ps3 or x360.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
fagin

Post by fagin »

ryu wrote:
Ganelon wrote:
ryu wrote:the scanlines are certainly a bit weak on the ps2, but still enough to sharpen the image up and make it look less muddy.
Is your device on the darkest setting? Those scanlines certainly look a lot weaker than the default setting on an SLG3000.
yes, that's the darkest setting on the ps2
headlesshobbs wrote:Those certainly do look weak and even more so when compared to Fagin's video on youtube.
that's because fagin was running the digitally distributed version on a ps3 or x360.
The difference is the source device. The 360 provides stronger scanline definition than the PS2.
ryu

Post by ryu »

fagin wrote:The difference is the source device. The 360 provides stronger scanline definition than the PS2.
i hadn't even noticed the ambiguity in my statement. thanks for clearing that up
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

What I'm seeing is pretty acceptable for being just "barely there", but you don't suppose the feature on this device could be improved for weaker signals?

I also need to ask this doesn't work on 480i signals at all does it? What exactly do we have for decent RGB to YUV scalers that output a progressive signal?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

With the majority of PS2 titles not being 480p compatible, the system is certainly not the main argument for the SLG-HD.

If you feed a 480i signal you get scanlines, but only 120 (instead of 240) - just like the Scart-SLG.
What exactly do we have for decent RGB to YUV scalers that output a progressive signal?
most video processors have component ouputs. Usually you have a RGBHV output which can be configured to output YUV.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Well my problem is I've been going over these converters by either CYP or it's clone on ebay (the one you can adjust the pots with) and I'm not certain if they just convert the signal without performing any sort of upscaling that I'll be needing for this.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I've been going over these converters by either CYP
a bit vague. If you had a link though.... If you upscale a 240p or 480i image and output the resulting 480p imgage through component the scanlines will be as strong as on a 360 signal (at least with the processors I tried. A Cinemateq, a Videon and a DVDO)
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

"Don't HD my SD!!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

those are transcoders. 240p in, 240p out. 480i in, 480i out.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

That's what I was worried about.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What's your source that you would like to get "scanlined"?
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Far as systems go? I'm looking at snes, genesis, saturn, dreamcast, etc.

I still do have my cga/vga board, but what worries me is I can't line up scanlines correctly based on what I've seen the HD Box Pro is capable of. In fact none of the pictures I've seen posted by you guys shows 100% accuracy on these things.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

can't be right. As long as you don't apply scaling (overscan compensation) and output in 480p, scanlines should always be correctly aligned. Eventually it's just a matter of choosing odd or even ones, but this doesn't make a difference if you apply full (100% scanlines).

Can you link to a screenshot which you think shows improper alignment ?

Also your setup sounds very much as you're capable of using a VGA chain, doesn't it ? In this case you should not be looking at the SLG-HD, but the SLG-3000.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

ImageImage

These were posted on the boards a few years back. XRGB on the left, HDBox on the right, via component input. You can see where some of the lines are off. Also there were a couple of other images, but they show where they were "mostly" correct with one every couple of lines looking uneven.

Even if it's not a big deal, I'm a little overly sensitive to these things.

Other then that, I have the basic setup needed to get everything started (cga/vga + SLG), I just haven't been able to invest in some quality cables yet and I don't know of who would be a reliable dealer without breaking the bank. Also I've seen something on sync strike, but is this thing really necessary to hook up a scart cable with? I would figure I'd be fine if I had a proper adapter to hook in the vga plug and not have to go through the extra expenses just to have a clear signal work properly.

As far as the SLG-HD goes, I defiantly will be looking into this for my other systems as there's no messing around with the scaling and it's a proper grade-quality signal as opposed to how overly sharp vga seems to present itself. I'd stick with vga, but most displays have no sharpness settings or any proper filtering.
Last edited by headlesshobbs on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The errors are caused by the deinterlacing and 480i interpretation of the signal provided by the HDBox.

The GBS doesn't know 240p, so you're looking at the same "problem". If you want proper 240p recognition you have to step it up and at least get something like an iScan Pro.

The GBS requires a clean sync sync (no composite video). Some consoles can provide this on their own, but not all of them. The Sync strike acts as a sync cleaner and a Scart breakout adapter at the same time.
kelvinml

Post by kelvinml »

:)
Last edited by kelvinml on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryu

Post by ryu »

kelvinml wrote:I just received the SLG-HD a few days ago and I was wondering if any of you were experiencing the same problem as me. When it is connected to my wii or ps2, I get a invalid format from my lcd with no picture on the screen when I have both scanline dip switches on the SLG-HD at maximum intensity.
if i'm not mistaken, you're not supposed to set both switches to the on setting

switch 2 on, switch 3 off = second strongest setting
switch 3 on, switch 2 off = strongest setting
both switches off = weakest setting
fagin

Post by fagin »

You've effectively reduced the sync that much your monitor can't recognise the incoming signal.
kelvinml

Post by kelvinml »

:)
Last edited by kelvinml on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fagin

Post by fagin »

It needs to be understood that the two devices work slightly differently. On component the sync is part of the colour signal, which means its slightly more difficult to deal with. The SLG3000 uses DSUB so it has the colours and sync separately. Ergo you can play with the colour channels without effecting the sync signal.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

@kelvinml did you get my mails?

Yesterday I received the enclosures. Here`re some pics

Hope you enjoy them. They`re availble right now on www.arcadeforge.de
Antiriad

Post by Antiriad »

Hi,
I have a Cinemateq POP+ and yet a SLG-3000.

Do you think it is worth to buy a an SLG-HD to be used in the following configuration?

PS2 > Component cable > SLG-HD > TV

I'd like a "light" setup without using POP+.

Maybe someone can post more pics or a video of a SLG-HD connected to a "pure" PS2?

Thank you! :)

ryu wrote:i just got mine and did some quick test runs on the ps2 and wii. the scanlines are certainly a bit weak on the ps2, but still enough to sharpen the image up and make it look less muddy. as fagin suggested the scanlines also help wii games run in 480p to look better, but it doesn't do that much. i figured the wii actually looks best when 480i is fed into a good deinterlacer (iscan vp30 in my case). :?

it's too bad that the wii's vc and many (most? all?) low res wiiware titles won't play in 480p, so i don't see much use for the slg hd= in conjunction with a wii.

anyways, here are some pictures taken of ps2 screens:
http://marcade.org/files_2/slghd_ps2_2.png
http://marcade.org/files_2/slghd_ps2_3.png
http://marcade.org/files_2/slghd_ps2_4.png
http://marcade.org/files_2/slghd_ps2_5.png
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Do you think it is worth to buy a an SLG-HD to be used in the following configuration?
You can count the titles running in 480p and on which it makes sense to use scanlines (original low-res material) on two hands. I would say that scanlines should at least be possible on all 240p PS1 and PS2 titles, otherwise the setup doesn't make any sense.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Antiriad wrote:Maybe someone can post more pics or a video of a SLG-HD connected to a "pure" PS2?
I would also appreciate some more pictures of the SLG-HD with 480p PS2 games if possible. Yeah, it really only applies to about a dozen games but I'd consider that a solid niche to buy the device for (in part).
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Anyone try this with a GameCube and Gameboy Player? Would be nice to finally play the GBA Castlevanias on a big screen and not look like ass.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

I haven't, but I'll be setting up soon once I've straightened things out a bit.

Somebody posted on yt awhile back this attempt at getting direct RGB to a monitor and while he had it plus the scanlines, the video wasn't very stable at all. I'm imaging the quality will look similar, but it'll be on a smaller screen.

Btw you have to take into account that only the smaller window will be scaled accurately.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Antiriad

Post by Antiriad »

Fudoh wrote:
You can count the titles running in 480p and on which it makes sense to use scanlines (original low-res material) on two hands. I would say that scanlines should at least be possible on all 240p PS1 and PS2 titles, otherwise the setup doesn't make any sense.
Really I'm interested in 240p sources: will I have correct scanlines on Neogeo Online Collections or Capcom Classics Collections or Sega Ages? (all 240p)

Thanks.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Are any of those collections running in 480p or 240p? That's going to make a real difference if you want the scanlines to work and you need to see if the games themselves are being scaled properly.
"Don't HD my SD!!"