RECO PCB - a JAMMA button remapping and autofire device

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
rtw

Re: Reco PCB - a JAMMA button remapping and autofire device

Post by rtw »

emphatic wrote:
rtw wrote:Great device :mrgreen: Simple question:

Can I get autofire on button 4 without the special 6 pin harness ?
If your cabinet is up to JAMMA spec, then yes.
Slightly confused, JAMMA is only 3 buttons but my cabinet has 4 buttons i.e. pin 25/c on the JAMMA loom is connected to 1P/2P button 4.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
RGB

Post by RGB »

rtw wrote:Slightly confused, JAMMA is only 3 buttons but my cabinet has 4 buttons i.e. pin 25/c on the JAMMA loom is connected to 1P/2P button 4.
Yep, you're covered. Reco PCB handles up to 5 buttons via the JAMMA edge (button 4 = #25/#c, button 5 = #26/#d). JAMMA button 4 and button 4 input on the auxiliary connector are mapped with each other; JAMMA button 5 and button 5 input on the aux connector are independent from each other.

* Some info for the advanced users - it's possible to have even 6 inputs via the JAMMA edge (pins #27/#e). In order to enable these, you need to bridge jumpers on the Reco PCB and cut the GND connection from the JAMMA edge pins #27/#e. You will also need to modify your JAMMA harness. Like I said, this solution is only for those who know what they're doing.*
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rtw wrote:Slightly confused, JAMMA is only 3 buttons but my cabinet has 4 buttons i.e. pin 25/c on the JAMMA loom is connected to 1P/2P button 4.
Sorry, I shouldn't have worded it like that I guess. In my mind, however, JAMMA has 4 buttons, 1, 2, 3 and 4(NEO-GEO) as this is how I first learnt from UncleTom. ;) (http://cc.arkadtorget.se/jammachart_large.gif )
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Looks great! Good work!
Wonderbanana

Post by Wonderbanana »

Tested all the functions on mine tonight (though not for every button) - works perfectly.

I really love this, a masterful bit of work that I'm really glad I brought. Has sooo many potential uses and will make sooo many games better - forgetting the autofire for a moment, I've lost track of the times I've wanted to change button layouts on my games because it doesn't suit my 'style' but couldn't be arsed physically changing the button wiring - that is now a thing of the past.

Extra props Mike for the excellent packaging and prep - I can tell you've put a lot of thought into it and it tops it off lovely.

Ill do some more thorough testing soon, but initial thoughts are nothing but positive. Thanks for this, really appreciate it.
eathis

Post by eathis »

Congratulation RGB, this looks very nice :wink:

How does it work for Jamma+ and the button 5?
Just put the RECO pcb without CPS2 kick harness and the boutton 5 will be the jamma+ additionnal button?

Can you do other kick harness? For CPS1, Namco System 246, STV, Taito F3 or other?
RGB

Post by RGB »

eathis wrote:Congratulation RGB, this looks very nice :wink:

How does it work for Jamma+ and the button 5?
Just put the RECO pcb without CPS2 kick harness and the boutton 5 will be the jamma+ additionnal button?

Can you do other kick harness? For CPS1, Namco System 246, STV, Taito F3 or other?
Thank you.

Your assumption is correct. For example, for Atomiswave, you don't need any additional harness between the Reco PCB and the system but you will still get the button 5 via the JAMMA connector.

I could do kick harnesses for other systems, too.
RGB

Post by RGB »

I've been asked if there are any LEDs on the Reco PCB itself, or are the LEDs connected using the 3 pin connector.
So, to answer - yes, there are two on-board LEDs (red for Player 1, green for Player 2), and the connector is used only if you want some additional LEDs.

In this picture both players have entered the configuration mode.
CHUCKY_RUNS_HORROR

Post by CHUCKY_RUNS_HORROR »

Hummmmm..... I see what you guys are saying but if I solder a wire to pins 25/c on my jamma edge and then plug in the quick connects to buttons for player one & two so I can use "D" buttons then where would I get the ground wire from :?: :?: would I solder a dasiy chain ground wire to another pin to connect to the "D" buttons :?: :?:
RGB

Re: RECO PCB - a JAMMA button remapping and autofire device

Post by RGB »

Thread updated with new info and photos of the v2.0.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Interesting design change. Guessing this is meant for arcade cabinet, am I right?
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
error1

Post by error1 »

I hope batch 2 isn't sold out yet, I realized I'm not as young anymore when my arm started cramping while playing Heavy Unit today... It's one of those games where you shoot as fast as you can push the button, so it's do or die :)

I still get further in the game than when I first played it in 1989 though, so that's something.
jujukun

Post by jujukun »

I'm using a Hori Real Arcade Pro 1 for Playstation hooked to a "PS to Neo Geo DB15" Tototek adapter which is hooked to my supergun and I really would like to use the RECO PCB with my PS HRAP stick. However, before ordering it, does anyone here successfully used the Reco PCB with such configuration (PS/PS2 HRAP stick + "PS to Neo Geo DB15" Tototek adapter)? Your feedback would be much appreciated. Thank in advance!
zlk

Post by zlk »

I just got one of these and it is awesome! Works great and is very easy to set up. :D
RGB

Post by RGB »

I had this little project ready months ago, but was way too busy to release it. But finally – I present you the PALM PCB, a RECO PCB variation for those who for some reason can’t use RECO in their setup.

PALM PCB works like a NeoGeo controller passthrough, but with some extra flavour. The features are as follows:
  • Utilizes extended NeoGeo controller pinout.
  • Full button remapping. 6 button inputs and 6 fully configurable outputs.
  • Autofire with 6 different autofire rates to choose from.
  • A built-in coin mechanism emulator. This means that even if you press and hold down the coin button on the joypad, there will be only one short signal sent to the JAMMA PCB. This is purely a safety measure to prevent a random PCB reset, holding the coin button for too long may cause the coin mechanism error (happens in Batrider) and result in game restart.
    New button layout and autofire settings are saved and stored in the microcontroller’s internal memory and stay in the memory even after disconnecting PALM PCB.
  • Status LED.
  • Lagless.
The idea came when I realized it’s impossible to use RECO PCB with some consolized MVS/PGM units as they often have the JAMMA edge enclosed. This form of PCB is actually identical to the very first RECO prototype – during development phase, RECO was just a simple breakout board with DB15 input on one end and the output on the other end.

How is this different or better than traditional autofire circuits? Because paired with button remapping feature, it gives way more options. Imagine that you play Metal Slug, you set autofire for shot - cool, but then you pick up a weapon you’d rather save, but hey - you have autofire enabled. With PALM PCB you can clone buttons, so let’s say you map A to the physical buttons A and D, but enable autofire only for one of them, leaving the other button as “vanilla A” and use it in situations when autofire isn’t exactly desired.

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

NICE WORK! :D
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
GON

Post by GON »

Excuse me, I'm new to the forums, can I use the information to an exhibition of about RECO pcb? It was recommended by Mr. Artemio Urbina.
volaju

Post by volaju »

I just received my RECO PCB and it's working fine, thank you RGB!
http://forum.shmup.com - shmup french community

Current game:
Looking for: DODONPACHI artset / SLAP FIGHT (ALCON)
Sale:
RGB

Post by RGB »

@GON - I guess it's a tad too late, but the answer is - yes.

@volaju - great to hear this :)
orange808

Post by orange808 »

RGB wrote:@GON - I guess it's a tad too late, but the answer is - yes.

@volaju - great to hear this :)
Hello. I realize I am late to the thread, but is the Palm PCB still available? It looks fantastic!
We apologise for the inconvenience
jamit

Post by jamit »

Is the Reco PCB still available? This looks fantastic. Exactly what I need.
Gamespirit

Post by Gamespirit »

AMAZING ! I need it!
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

All this is missing is controller out ports.
To be able to choose between sticks and controller on my cab would be awesome.
Sirus

Post by Sirus »

Hello RGB

Great job is possible one for me please ?
RGB

Post by RGB »

10 years later, and this project is still alive and kicking! I present you the V4.1:
  • JAMMA, JAMMA+ compatible
  • Programmable button layout
  • Programmable rapid-fire (VSync synchronized or asynchronous, 6 different fire rates)
  • Buttons 1-6 on the JAMMA connector (buttons 4-6 can be disabled), making it a "CHAMMA" compatible output
  • CPS-2 kick harness input for buttons 4-6 (the RECO's JAMMA edge accepts buttons 1-5)
  • Buttons 4-6 on the JST-XH 6 pin “kick harness” connector that is compatible with the HAS kick harnesses
  • 6 profiles per player to save the button layout and rapid-fire settings
  • Tournament Mode for disabling the programming functionality
  • Built-in voltmeter for +5 V (comes in red, blue or yellow, shipped randomly)
  • Selectable buffered CSync
  • Equipped with a connector for the Negatron DC/DC converter
  • Comes with a plexiglass case
It can be purchased here - https://rgbslab.com/products/reco-pcb-v4-1

Steven

Post by Steven »

Raiden DX has a thing where you hold the start button for the entire duration of the game to raise your fighting spirit and get score. I'm guessing that the autofire programming thing will interfere with the ability to play Raiden DX that way. Is there any way around this other than to either disconnect the RECO or to not use autofire for 3 seconds at a time?

I know it's just an example to demonstrate the proper use of the RECO, but it's interesting that you have it connected to a Tatsujin Ou PCB given how that game handles autofire, BTW.
RGB

Post by RGB »

Steven wrote:Raiden DX has a thing where you hold the start button for the entire duration of the game to raise your fighting spirit and get score. I'm guessing that the autofire programming thing will interfere with the ability to play Raiden DX that way. Is there any way around this other than to either disconnect the RECO or to not use autofire for 3 seconds at a time?

I know it's just an example to demonstrate the proper use of the RECO, but it's interesting that you have it connected to a Tatsujin Ou PCB given how that game handles autofire, BTW.
There's a DIP switch to disable the programming. So basically, you configure the button layout and rapid-fire to your liking and then flip the DIP switch to lock the programming functionality.

Tatsujin Ou was just the last PCB I used to play during that time, so I used it to take that picture, I didn't feel like unwrapping other PCB from the bubble wrap just to take a picture :D