MC Cthulhu RJ-45 Pin Out for PC Engine.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ThEmperorIsDead

Post by ThEmperorIsDead »

Hi,

I seem to be having a fair bit of trouble making a functional PC Engine RJ-45 cable for use with Toodles MC Cthulhu, I've followed the guide over on srk and have asked there a couple of times regarding the issues I'm having but so far no help.

I have one game that the stick works as intended which is Heavy Unit, as for R-Type; everything is bound to the stick (left is pause, right in addition to the directions.) Dragon Spirit: inputs seem to just change on the fly and most other titles have issues.

I have remade the cable about 4 times at this point (each time the result is the same), all my other cables work for the various supported platforms.

Having not received much feedback over on srk (due to lack of interest in the PC Engine I assume), I was hoping that someone here may have made a good PC Engine cable and might be kind enough to share the correct pin out with me. My console is the White NTSC-J version.

I've also seen it mentioned that there might be different button layout modes for the PCE on the MCC PCB, but no information beyond that.

Any help/pointers are greatly appreciated. :)
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: MC Cthulhu RJ-45 Pin Out for PC Engine.

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I just use a Hori Fighting Stick PC (with support for both 2-button & 6-button enabled PCE games via switchable on the fly) for that precise arcade joystick input on the TurboGrafx-16, Turbo Duo & PC Engine Duo-RX setups. A custom-made reverse Duo to TG-16 controller adapter cable is necessary though (due to the bigger old-school 8-Din interface used with a TG-16 console setup).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ThEmperorIsDead

Post by ThEmperorIsDead »

Thank you for your reply.

Yep I hear what your saying, only trouble is I've installed the Multi Console Cthulhu + Impv2 PCB's into a Madcatz Xbox 360 TE Stick with a RJ-45 socket to take cables for the supported legacy consoles. I wanted a near all in one solution (bar the Megadrive).

So I'm having to make up RJ-45>console cables using controller extension cables bought on ebay, I have successfully made cables for most other consoles but am stuck on the PCE one. :(

I used the guide given here for the PCE pin out: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/ ... l-ver-2/p1 but as said the inputs are all messed up in the majority of PCE games.

I was hoping there might be some MC Cthulhu users on here that have been successful with making a PCE cable.

For now I'm using an ASCII stick for PCE but it's pretty bad lol, I have a LS-40 in my TE stick which I would much rather be using.
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Hi, has anyone found a solution for this yet? I'm using an MC Cthulhu with my PCE Duo-R. It seems to work with all of the disc and US card games (has a region mod), but I'm having the same issue with japanese card games. It seems the all of the cardinal are also doubling as button inputs.
slk486

Post by slk486 »

I made mine ages ago, using those pinouts and a legacy mac keyboard extension cable. Haven't had any issues with the Duo-R.
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Just rechecked my pinout with a multimeter. It matched the one linked to.

The specific games I'm having trouble with are Final Soldier and Soldier Blade, both japanese card games. Have you tried either of them? Again, no problem with US card games or any disc games.
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Also, pressing home changes to a turbo mode, instead of switching controller modes (Normal -> 6-button etc.) as it should. No change whether through a multi-tap or not.
slk486

Post by slk486 »

Wait.. Now that you mention it, I've had strangeness once or twice, which was remedied by plugging in after power on or something like that.

I'll check those two.
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Thank you. Please let me know.
Lemony Vengeance

Post by Lemony Vengeance »

rCadeGaming wrote:Thank you. Please let me know.
Have you been able to get past this issue? I'm having the same problem!
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Nope, and I also found a problem with Ginga Fukei Densetsu: Sapphire, a CD game. It works fine in one-player, but if I use the multi-tap to plug in two sticks (both with MC Cthulhu) the second player has the problems described.

The circuit for a two button non-turbo controller is extremely simple, just a 74157 (common IC) and some pull-up resistors. I'm just going make my own circuit to handle PC-E:

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=cont ... controller
Lemony Vengeance

rCadeGaming wrote:Nope, and I also found a problem with Ginga Fukei Densetsu: Sapphire, a CD game. It works fine in one-player, but if I use the multi-tap to plug in two sticks (both with MC Cthulhu) the second player has the problems described.

The circuit for a two button non-turbo controller is extremely simple, just a 74157 (common IC) and some pull-up resistors. I'm just going make my own circuit to handle PC-E:

So, the issues persist with a multi-tap as well? I spoke with rtdzign from the SRK forum and he suggested I test with a multitap since that is one piece of HW that Toodles had tested with, while he wasn't able to test with EVERY iteration of the PCE. apparently there are remaining issues with the PCE/TG-16 that haven't been sorted out.

I have modded an NES Advantage for use on the PCE, but would like the MC Cthulhu to work properly.

I have A CoreGrafx, myself.
Lemony Vengeance

Lemony Vengeance wrote:
rCadeGaming wrote:Nope, and I also found a problem with Ginga Fukei Densetsu: Sapphire, a CD game. It works fine in one-player, but if I use the multi-tap to plug in two sticks (both with MC Cthulhu) the second player has the problems described.

So, the issues persist with a multi-tap as well? I spoke with rtdzign from the SRK forum and he suggested I test with a multitap since that is one piece of HW that Toodles had tested with, while he wasn't able to test with EVERY iteration of the PCE. apparently there are remaining issues with the PCE/TG-16 that haven't been sorted out.

I have modded an NES Advantage for use on the PCE, but would like the MC Cthulhu to work properly.

Issues persist even with the tap. I will be getting a Turbo Everdrive within the week. I will test with Games made for the TG-16 to see confirm that this is only Japanese PCE games. It's a longshot, but hopefully Toodles can fix this issue. It's a pretty big deal breaker.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

I hope so too. Right now the MC Cthulhu is the only all-in-one board I know of...since akishop is dragging their feet with retro support in light of appeasing Killer Instinct or Injustice (that HUGE fanbase :roll: ) players with Xbone/PS4 support.
Lemony Vengeance

opt2not wrote:I hope so too. Right now the MC Cthulhu is the only all-in-one board I know of...since akishop is dragging their feet with retro support in light of appeasing Killer Instinct or Injustice (that HUGE fanbase :roll: ) players with Xbone/PS4 support.
PS4 support is in beta right now for the PS360+ while X1 support is going to be added via the extra controller header with something called a crossbone that focus attack had teased a few weeks ago. beyond that, they have no excuse for retro support. THEN maybe we'll get decent PCE support.
niall

Post by niall »

Well +1 from me, a PC Engine or Duo is on my todo list now, along with MC Cthulhu. Best hobby ever :D
Lemony Vengeance

Lemony Vengeance wrote:
Lemony Vengeance wrote:

Issues persist even with the tap. I will be getting a Turbo Everdrive within the week. I will test with Games made for the TG-16 to see confirm that this is only Japanese PCE games. It's a longshot, but hopefully Toodles can fix this issue. It's a pretty big deal breaker.
Just got My turbo Everdrive, Tested a bunch of JP games and they work perfectly, even R-Type. Looks like the issue is only with JP HuCards :D