MAME HLSL CRT SCANLINE EMULATION PRESETS

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
epsx

Re: MAME HLSL CRT SCANLINE EMULATION PRESETS

Post by epsx »

hi guys, i download again mame roms and mameui64 1.76.
when i try to "compile" .ini from ini creator its told me there is no mame.ini files...
1. i created mame.ini in ini directory ... and then i "compiled" .ini files from ini creator
2. mameui64 dosent "see" the ini files....
3. i changed the directory for ini files (from ini/preset to ini)
4. and then mameui64 saw them but totaly wrong :)... not the same settings...
5. mameui64 dosent have setting to enable hlsl

can someone explain what happened, or what should i know... what i did wrong :D ...
i want ueda files... are the best :D
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

epsx wrote:hi guys, i download again mame roms and mameui64 1.76.
when i try to "compile" .ini from ini creator its told me there is no mame.ini files...
1. i created mame.ini in ini directory ... and then i "compiled" .ini files from ini creator
2. mameui64 dosent "see" the ini files....
3. i changed the directory for ini files (from ini/preset to ini)
4. and then mameui64 saw them but totaly wrong :)... not the same settings...
5. mameui64 dosent have setting to enable hlsl

can someone explain what happened, or what should i know... what i did wrong :D ...
i want ueda files... are the best :D
You have to edit the 'raster.ini' file for HLSL settings which is found in, /mame/ini/presets/
StyleMaster

Post by StyleMaster »

I love these perfected hlsl settings provided , i just discovering mess anybody that can give me a perfect hlsl ini for psx on mess & amiga
also the latest one for mame for most games
StyleMaster

Post by StyleMaster »

NUeda wrote:HLSL [Megalo] mode v0.9
Updated 2013-07-05 (MMDD)

Sega made some of the largest cabs in the arcades and that sometimes involved using rear projection displays.

Rear projection screens were very, very big for the time (41 or 50 inches), but had problems like:
mediocre black level, poor convergence (RGB tube alignment), narrow viewing angle, and foggy highlights.
They were nowhere near perfect.

However, Virtua Fighter (1993) looks quite good with rear projection display, which is not so surprising

Possible for a re- upload of this file would like to tryit
when considering the fact that the default cab for Virtua Fighter was Super Megalo. (50" rear projection cab for 2 players)

I am aware Virtua Fighter did NOT use Super Megalo 2,
but SM and SM2 are nearly same in terms of size and appearance, so I just used the marquee from SM2.
I am also aware that the bezel looks different from the actual SM2 cab; it was slimmed down to get the illusion of a larger screen.

Virtua Fighter 1993

Click to view 1600x1200

Click to view 1600x1200

Click to view 1600x1200

Click to view 1600x1200

Click to view 1600x1200

Click to view 1600x1200

----------------------------------------------------------------
Appropriate games
Namco: Time Crisis
Sega: Virtua Fighter

Games that use simple 3D modeling have good mileage.

Problematic games
Don't have a list yet, but 80's games don't respond well.

Please note, this HLSL mode is an attempt at simulating the flaws of rear projection display.
Please don't expect good picture quality.

- Deleted for being outdated -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are some upcoming changes?

Not sure yet. I will get back to this when I'm done with other HLSL modes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time Crisis 1995

Click to view 1600x1200

Click to view 1600x1200

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike 1999

Click to view 1600x1200

Street Fighter Zero 3 1998

Click to view 1600x1200

The above is HLSL [Megalo] mode.
=========================================================================================

- Link deleted for being outdated -
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Personally I remember the reflected crt scanlines/phosphors effect and natural aliasing to be much more visible than that.
Here it is way too softened IMHO.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Blair

Post by Blair »

I never liked the look of rear projection displays, always preferred direct view. or a normal crt projector with a good screen. I can see how some people would feel nostalgic for that look (some people play with filters that mimic the terrible ghosting of the game gear LCD screen).

it's too bad laser displays never took off, I bet those would've made for some awesome looking large arcade screens.
Last edited by Blair on Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tatsuya79

Post by Tatsuya79 »

Blair wrote:(some people play with filters that mimic the terrible ghosting of the game gear LCD screen)
This screen was so bad, can't beat the turbografx one.

Though I'm using a bit of blur for the game boy as it uses blinking to make some transparency effect.
Just try Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS without blur ...or don't if you suffer from epilepsy.
StyleMaster

Post by StyleMaster »

Anyone that has this megalo mode zip file ? the link is dead
Snake007m

Post by Snake007m »

I've been using Lotte's shader for Mame and I'm completely happy with it. However, getting the perfect CRT shader for multiply different emulators is not exactly easy ( unless using Retroarch, which I absolutely hate, but I won't go in to that ).

I'm hoping that CRT-Royale Kurozumi or something very similar ( BVM look ) one day ends up being injectable like SweetFX/Reshade so I can use it universally for pretty much any emulator. Until then, I have tried to get the best possible settings for me using SweetFX. Obviously it's not in the same ballpark as the ones mentioned, but the final result isn't half bad.

Few pictures.

PC
SATURN
GBA
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

seriously - how can you be happy with that ? Your scanlines are splitting up the pixel rows instead of sitting between the pixel rows as they're supposed to...
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

There's something wrong with your settings indeed, it's not just the misaligned scanlines and RGB strips, it obviously doesn't look realistic at all.
Seriously I can do better using a handmade PNG effect file.

You may not like RetroArch, but CRT-Royale still provides the best CRT imitation out there
(not the 'Kurozumi' settings though, that so-called 'BVM look' in this form is outlandish for anyone who's had long-enough experience with crt's. Also even crt-hyllian-glow or even crt-easymode can probably do the same or very close using significantly less ressources)

[rant]
In any case all those more or less advanced CRT shaders while sometimes looking very nice on still screens, often hurt the picture quality and clarity while in all-directions motion, unless using an instant-response display (or very close).
Actually more realistic shaders/settings thought for real conditions use would be possible, while not necessarily looking great on screenshots, and possibly requiring some sacrifices like using integer scaling (picture going offscreen in 'overscan area' or, as opposite, with black borders on top/bottom) pixel alignment, and no artificial smoothing, but people are not ready for that.
[/rant]
Snake007m

Post by Snake007m »

Xyga wrote:There's something wrong with your settings indeed, it's not just the misaligned scanlines and RGB strips, it obviously doesn't look realistic at all.
Seriously I can do better using a handmade PNG effect file.

You may not like RetroArch, but CRT-Royale still provides the best CRT imitation out there
(not the 'Kurozumi' settings though, that so-called 'BVM look' in this form is outlandish for anyone who's had long-enough experience with crt's. Also even crt-hyllian-glow or even crt-easymode can probably do the same or very close using significantly less ressources)

[rant]
In any case all those more or less advanced CRT shaders while sometimes looking very nice on still screens, often hurt the picture quality and clarity while in all-directions motion, unless using an instant-response display (or very close).
Actually more realistic shaders/settings thought for real conditions use would be possible, while not necessarily looking great on screenshots, and possibly requiring some sacrifices like using integer scaling (picture going offscreen in 'overscan area' or, as opposite, with black borders on top/bottom) pixel alignment, and no artificial smoothing, but people are not ready for that.
[/rant]
I have plenty of knowledge regarding CRT screens, as I have a whole garage full of them, including a dozen or so broadcasting monitors.
There are absolutely no shaders at all that can replicate a CRT 1:1, and I don't expect them to. I like the look however, and it can be a half decent compromise going alongside a low latency 2014 Bravia HDTV.
If someone can make better settings with SweetFX then I'd appreciate it. Retroarch is not an option for me due to the horrible latency the cores provide. The Hard GPU Sync ''Does not'' fix the issue enough. I'm using standalone emulators that are much better in this regard. Low latency is more important to me than shaders, but if I can have both, then SweetFX will have to do as it's the only way I can get some kind of scanline effect on those programs.

Help would be great, and appreciated, but please don't expect everyone to get on the Retroarch bandwagon. The CRT shaders are great, but other issues are a deal breaker for me.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I understand what you mean, this is indeed an annoying aspect of this. Although it's not properly documented yet Filthypants/Lottes found that several shaders indeed increase latency, sometimes too much.
From his sorta preliminary testing though it appeared that some like easymode don't add much if any.

In regards to SweetFX though; didn't it use a full frame to work ? (totally from the back of my head, that could be 100% not the case, dunno)

EDIT: AH! Found that member's (Elaphe) old posts, might be of interest to you: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=180
Still, from what we're seeing here, and as expected, using integer scaling with SweetFX is almost compulsory, and it's not available from every emulator software, unfortunately.
Snake007m

Post by Snake007m »

Think I got it sorted. Looks pretty good now.

BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Retroarch's Latency should now be just about better than any other emulator with recent updates for most of it's corse(bar hacky ones like ZSNES), the only problem is shaders do add some latency. And that'd be true whether it was in RetroArch or not.

http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5428
Read the whole thread if you've got time.
u-man

Post by u-man »

Xyga wrote:I understand what you mean, this is indeed an annoying aspect of this. Although it's not properly documented yet Filthypants/Lottes found that several shaders indeed increase latency, sometimes too much.
From his sorta preliminary testing though it appeared that some like easymode don't add much if any.

In regards to SweetFX though; didn't it use a full frame to work ? (totally from the back of my head, that could be 100% not the case, dunno)

EDIT: AH! Found that member's (Elaphe) old posts, might be of interest to you: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=180
Still, from what we're seeing here, and as expected, using integer scaling with SweetFX is almost compulsory, and it's not available from every emulator software, unfortunately.
Dont wanna sound like a asshole, but your statement regarding input-lag and the Filthypant test is simply wrong in all terms. The max. input-lag from a shader *could* be 16ms or 1 frame so to say any higher lag you would expect only from a non optimized shader.

Here is the link to the test: http://filthypants.blogspot.hr/2015/06/ ... sting.html

What you all need to pay most attention to, is the end of the article. This test was not done good, in terms of quality and valuable info, especially the shader benchmark. There are shaders that produced less latency, than the default with no shader at all :roll: . A shader that produce lag, can only have two reasons: it tax your GPU way too much or it is written very badly.

byuu wrote a very good and recent article about input-lag: https://byuu.org/articles/latency/
He is just a little wrong with the numbers for audio, but otherwise it is pretty much this.
Snake007m wrote: I have plenty of knowledge regarding CRT screens, as I have a whole garage full of them, including a dozen or so broadcasting monitors.
There are absolutely no shaders at all that can replicate a CRT 1:1, and I don't expect them to. I like the look however, and it can be a half decent compromise going alongside a low latency 2014 Bravia HDTV.
If someone can make better settings with SweetFX then I'd appreciate it. Retroarch is not an option for me due to the horrible latency the cores provide. The Hard GPU Sync ''Does not'' fix the issue enough. I'm using standalone emulators that are much better in this regard. Low latency is more important to me than shaders, but if I can have both, then SweetFX will have to do as it's the only way I can get some kind of scanline effect on those programs.

Help would be great, and appreciated, but please don't expect everyone to get on the Retroarch bandwagon. The CRT shaders are great, but other issues are a deal breaker for me.
Why not just stay with CRT? Its the best solution of all. Get Groovymame+ASIO mod.+CRT = 2 frames input-lag. It only gets better with staying away from emulation and play with real pcb/hardware.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

u-man wrote:Dont wanna sound like a asshole, but your statement regarding input-lag and the Filthypant test is simply wrong in all terms.
?
Both articles state otherwise.
u-man wrote:What you all need to pay most attention to, is the end of the article. This test was not done good, in terms of quality and valuable info
Which is why I used terms like 'preliminary' and 'not properly documented yet', maybe I should have said 'bullshit' ?
u-man wrote:There are shaders that produced less latency, than the default with no shader at all
And some also considerably more, even though the test isn't reliable enough there's no reason to ignore that part.
u-man wrote:byuu wrote a very good and recent article about input-lag: https://byuu.org/articles/latency/
He is just a little wrong with the numbers for audio, but otherwise it is pretty much this.
Well, again;
byuu wrote:Before a frame can be pushed from the video card to the display, the frame has to be rendered and rasterized by the video card itself. For 2D, this usually just means getting the pixels into video RAM. For 3D, it means rendering all of the 3D draw commands. But even 2D can gain a frightening increase in latency by the use of user-programmable pixel shaders to perform software-based processing effects like CRT simulation, scanline simulation, image sharpening, etc.
u-man wrote:The max. input-lag from a shader *could* be 16ms or 1 frame so to say any higher lag you would expect only from a non optimized shader.
Even if it ends up being proved that it doesn't go higher than a frame at worst, that's still a lot considering an average of 2 frames is already about the acceptable ceiling for many people, add another frame on top when using pixel shaders and we're in the 3 frames area, which easily gets noticeable and annoying.

In any case you can do the test yourself, personally I definitely feel HLSL adds enough delay on top to be annoying, Royale too last time I checked (quite a while ago though)
Don't know in regards to Geom or others since I haven't played a lot using them.

Nobody's trying to set a general rule yet, bot nobody's ruling out the possibility that pixel shaders can add delay either, quite the opposite even, when you read both articles (if this is not at all what they meant then they really need to consider re-reading their own statements and re-write), which can imho be a real problem in cases where your environment and setting already add their own.

Now if anyone has plans to make more detailed and clear research on the topic in the future, that'd be great.
u-man

Post by u-man »

Well, regarding shaders and this test, you can safely call it bullshit, because thats exactly what it is, as it doesnt make any sense at all. If there is anything true in your theory (there is, just not that high as you all think), than it is simply impossible, that there are some shaders that even reduce latency. This fact alone, shows how this test failed and therefore you can ignore this whole benchmark and there is no reason to *not* ignore this part.

"Even if it ends up being proved that it doesn't go higher than a frame at worst, that's still a lot considering an average of 2 frames is already about the acceptable ceiling for many people, add another frame on top when using pixel shaders and we're in the 3 frames area, which easily gets noticeable and annoying."

Ok, show me a emulator that has only 2 frames lag with a LCD setup. It is non existent. So how people can considering an average of 2 frames the acceptable ceiling???
Seriously, it seems you dont know much about this topic. If you take MAME for example, than the highest latency is coming from audio.

The average user will use default Direct X, which is about 100ms or 6 frames. If we now take the shader latency into account, then you see that you can have like 3xHLSL until you can say, it produces additional lag (we take some time like 40ms to have the screen emulated, before we can add and render shader effects). You can half the audio latency, with Windows10 and Xaudio, but you still have like 3-4 frames latency, which again is like 2xHLSL until it produces additional lag.

So if you have read byuu´s article, you will remember he mentioned to use WASAPI for audio, which is currently not possible to use with MAME. That would be the only case, where HLSL would produce additional lag, because WASAPI have like a max. of 3ms of latency. You can modding GroovyMame with ASIO, which behaves the same like WASAPI, as both variants are exclusive audio modes. Again, this would be the only case, where HLSL could add lag, but this is no average user setup at all.

If you are now still trying to tell me, that HLSL adds enough delay on top to be annoying, than your eyes are cheating you, as this is simply not possible. HLSL doesnt add more latency, then your painted .png files thats for sure (which is also a post-processing task).
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Okay dude, I'd gladly discuss the topic but you're annoyingly aggressive, maybe if you want to fight over something like that I dunno, er, got to mameworld maybe ?
*out*
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Any pro tip to get this working in Mame 181b?
Ive got settings from this thread working perfectly in mame 158.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

They've made a lot of changes...didn't look much into it but there's now more than one .ini file to edit, with settings names not always matching what you see when using the UI settings (of course these don't save at all) or the mame.ini I don't know anymore. Also beware of new/different folders locations for some of the .ini's
Personally I won't bother trying until they introduce a new/better system.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Xyga wrote:They've made a lot of changes...didn't look much into it but there's now more than one .ini file to edit, with settings names not always matching what you see when using the UI settings (of course these don't save at all) or the mame.ini I don't know anymore. Also beware of new/different folders locations for some of the .ini's
Personally I won't bother trying until they introduce a new/better system.
Yeah, Im trying to find my way around it, as long as I get some sort of scanlines Im ok for a while.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Good luck with that, the biggest problem last time I've tried was that to begin the default settings are absolutely ridiculous, giving a very blurry/hazy image with absolutely fucked up colors and smearing.
Trying to fix that using what iirc is now called the raster.ini somewhere in the folders, was a no-no for me.
Then I've read somewhere you could just erase that file so I did and it was better...
But after reducing the focus/blur a bit I've realized the scaling is wrong in most cases, showing misaligned scanlines/upscaling artifacts.
Couldn't even fix that by enabling integer scaling, there may be another way (using source/display resolution setting) but it didn't work for me or I didn't get how it works.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Xyga wrote:Good luck with that, the biggest problem last time I've tried was that to begin the default settings are absolutely ridiculous, giving a very blurry/hazy image with absolutely fucked up colors and smearing.
Trying to fix that using what iirc is now called the raster.ini somewhere in the folders, was a no-no for me.
Then I've read somewhere you could just erase that file so I did and it was better...
But after reducing the focus/blur a bit I've realized the scaling is wrong in most cases, showing misaligned scanlines/upscaling artifacts.
Couldn't even fix that by enabling integer scaling, there may be another way (using source/display resolution setting) but it didn't work for me or I didn't get how it works.
Yes, directly from the start I had to go in and turn off Bi linear filtering.
s8n

Post by s8n »

howdy members , i have got the below settings working in Groovymame V1.71 but i've been trying to update to GM V1.79. I don't know what's going on but the colors in Ketsui are weird and Super Street Fighter 2 doesn't look the same as GM V1.71.

I downloaded groovymame64_0179.016_alpha3 and mame0179b_64bit , then extracted them to separate folders. I copied the folders in mame0179b_64bit to Groovymame's , then generated a new mame.ini and then copy and pasted the below settings

btw............my mame.ini is way down the bottom

lettuce wrote:So seeings as i kicked this thread off WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in 2011 i'd thought i share my latest HLSL settings as of MAME 0.171 (GroovyMAME)

DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS

Code: Select all

hlsl_enable               1
hlslpath                  hlsl
hlsl_prescale_x           6
hlsl_prescale_y           6
hlsl_write                1
hlsl_snap_width           2048
hlsl_snap_height          1536
shadow_mask_tile_mode     0
shadow_mask_alpha         0.15
shadow_mask_texture       slot-mask.png
shadow_mask_x_count       6
shadow_mask_y_count       4
shadow_mask_usize         0.1875
shadow_mask_vsize         0.1875
shadow_mask_uoffset       0.0
shadow_mask_voffset       0.0
curvature                 0.10
round_corner              0.10
smooth_border             0.03
reflection                0.0
vignetting                0.20
scanline_alpha            1.50
scanline_size             1.0
scanline_height           1.0
scanline_bright_scale     1.15
scanline_bright_offset    0.0
scanline_jitter           0.1
hum_bar_alpha             0.0
defocus                   0.20,0.0
converge_x                0.25,0.00,-0.25
converge_y                0.0,0.25,-0.25
radial_converge_x         0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y         0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio                 1.0,0.0,0.0
grn_ratio                 0.0,1.0,0.0
blu_ratio                 0.0,0.0,1.0
saturation                1.4
offset                    0.0,0.0,0.0
scale                     0.95,0.95,0.95
power                     0.8,0.8,0.8
floor                     0.01,0.01,0.01
phosphor_life             0.4,0.4,0.4
BLOOM POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS

bloom_blend_mode          0
bloom_scale               0.28
bloom_overdrive           1.0,1.0,1.0
bloom_lvl0_weight         1.0
bloom_lvl1_weight         0.64
bloom_lvl2_weight         0.32
bloom_lvl3_weight         0.16
bloom_lvl4_weight         0.08
bloom_lvl5_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl6_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl7_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl8_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl9_weight         0.01
bloom_lvl10_weight        0.01
Just copy over the above settings to a fresh mame.ini file.

And now the screen shots....

Image Image

Image Image

Im using an, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p monitor, so your 'mileage may vary'....but i would love to see how HLSL settings would look on a 4K display!!

#
# CORE CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#
readconfig                1
writeconfig               0

#
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
#
rompath                   "j:\MAME 0.179 roms"
hashpath                  hash
samplepath                samples
artpath                   artwork
ctrlrpath                 ctrlr
inipath                   .;ini;ini/presets
fontpath                  .
cheatpath                 cheat
crosshairpath             crosshair
pluginspath               plugins
languagepath              language
swpath                    software

#
# CORE OUTPUT DIRECTORY OPTIONS
#
cfg_directory             cfg
nvram_directory           nvram
input_directory           inp
state_directory           sta
snapshot_directory        snap
diff_directory            diff
comment_directory         comments

#
# CORE STATE/PLAYBACK OPTIONS
#
state                     
autosave                  0
playback                  
record                    
record_timecode           0
exit_after_playback       0
mngwrite                  
aviwrite                  
wavwrite                  
snapname                  %g/%i
snapsize                  auto
snapview                  internal
snapbilinear              1
statename                 %g
burnin                    0

#
# CORE PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
autoframeskip             0
frameskip                 0
seconds_to_run            0
throttle                  1
syncrefresh               0
autosync                  1
sleep                     1
speed                     1.0
refreshspeed              0

#
# CORE RENDER OPTIONS
#
keepaspect                1
unevenstretch             1
unevenstretchx            0
unevenstretchy            0
autostretchxy             0
intoverscan               0
intscalex                 0
intscaley                 0

#
# CORE ROTATION OPTIONS
#
rotate                    1
ror                       0
rol                       0
autoror                   0
autorol                   0
flipx                     0
flipy                     0

#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#
artwork_crop              1
use_backdrops             0
use_overlays              0
use_bezels                0
use_cpanels               0
use_marquees              0

#
# CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
#
brightness                1.0
contrast                  1.0
gamma                     1.0
pause_brightness          0.65
effect                    none

#
# CORE VECTOR OPTIONS
#
beam_width_min            1.0
beam_width_max            1.0
beam_intensity_weight     0
flicker                   0

#
# CORE SOUND OPTIONS
#
samplerate                48000
samples                   1
volume                    0

#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout              1
ctrlr                     
mouse                     0
joystick                  1
lightgun                  0
multikeyboard             0
multimouse                0
steadykey                 0
ui_active                 0
offscreen_reload          0
joystick_map              auto
joystick_deadzone         0.3
joystick_saturation       0.85
natural                   0
joystick_contradictory    0
coin_impulse              0

#
# CORE INPUT AUTOMATIC ENABLE OPTIONS
#
paddle_device             keyboard
adstick_device            keyboard
pedal_device              keyboard
dial_device               keyboard
trackball_device          keyboard
lightgun_device           keyboard
positional_device         keyboard
mouse_device              mouse

#
# CORE DEBUGGING OPTIONS
#
verbose                   0
log                       0
oslog                     0
debug                     0
update_in_pause           0
debugscript               

#
# CORE COMM OPTIONS
#
comm_localhost            0.0.0.0
comm_localport            15112
comm_remotehost           127.0.0.1
comm_remoteport           15112

#
# CORE MISC OPTIONS
#
drc                       1
drc_use_c                 0
drc_log_uml               0
drc_log_native            0
bios                      
cheat                     0
skip_gameinfo             0
uifont                    default
ui                        cabinet
ramsize                   
confirm_quit              0
ui_mouse                  1
autoboot_command          
autoboot_delay            0
autoboot_script           
console                   0
plugins                   1
plugin                    
noplugin                  
language                  English

#
# CORE SWITCHRES OPTIONS
#
modeline_generation       1
monitor                   lcd
orientation               horizontal
connector                 auto
interlace                 1
doublescan                1
super_width               2560
changeres                 1
powerstrip                0
lock_system_modes         1
lock_unsupported_modes    1
refresh_dont_care         0
dotclock_min              0
sync_refresh_tolerance    2.0
frame_delay               0
vsync_offset              0
black_frame_insertion     0
modeline                  auto
ps_timing                 auto
lcd_range                 auto
crt_range0                auto
crt_range1                auto
crt_range2                auto
crt_range3                auto
crt_range4                auto
crt_range5                auto
crt_range6                auto
crt_range7                auto
crt_range8                auto
crt_range9                auto

#
# OSD KEYBOARD MAPPING OPTIONS
#
uimodekey                 SCRLOCK

#
# OSD FONT OPTIONS
#
uifontprovider            auto

#
# OSD OUTPUT OPTIONS
#
output                    auto

#
# OSD INPUT OPTIONS
#
keyboardprovider          auto
mouseprovider             auto
lightgunprovider          auto
joystickprovider          auto

#
# OSD DEBUGGING OPTIONS
#
debugger                  auto
debugger_font             auto
debugger_font_size        0
watchdog                  0

#
# OSD PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
numprocessors             auto
bench                     0

#
# OSD VIDEO OPTIONS
#
video                     d3d
numscreens                1
window                    0
maximize                  1
waitvsync                 0
monitorprovider           auto

#
# OSD PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS
#
screen                    auto
aspect                    auto
resolution                auto
view                      auto
screen0                   auto
aspect0                   auto
resolution0               auto
view0                     auto
screen1                   auto
aspect1                   auto
resolution1               auto
view1                     auto
screen2                   auto
aspect2                   auto
resolution2               auto
view2                     auto
screen3                   auto
aspect3                   auto
resolution3               auto
view3                     auto

#
# OSD FULL SCREEN OPTIONS
#
switchres                 1

#
# OSD ACCELERATED VIDEO OPTIONS
#
filter                    0
prescale                  1

#
# OpenGL-SPECIFIC OPTIONS
#
gl_forcepow2texture       0
gl_notexturerect          0
gl_vbo                    0
gl_pbo                    0
gl_glsl                   0
gl_glsl_filter            0
glsl_shader_mame0         none
glsl_shader_mame1         none
glsl_shader_mame2         none
glsl_shader_mame3         none
glsl_shader_mame4         none
glsl_shader_mame5         none
glsl_shader_mame6         none
glsl_shader_mame7         none
glsl_shader_mame8         none
glsl_shader_mame9         none
glsl_shader_screen0       none
glsl_shader_screen1       none
glsl_shader_screen2       none
glsl_shader_screen3       none
glsl_shader_screen4       none
glsl_shader_screen5       none
glsl_shader_screen6       none
glsl_shader_screen7       none
glsl_shader_screen8       none
glsl_shader_screen9       none

#
# OSD SOUND OPTIONS
#
sound                     auto
audio_latency             2.0

#
# BGFX POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
bgfx_path                 bgfx
bgfx_backend              auto
bgfx_debug                0
bgfx_screen_chains        default
bgfx_shadow_mask          slot-mask.png
bgfx_avi_name             auto

#
# WINDOWS PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
priority                  0
profile                   0

#
# WINDOWS VIDEO OPTIONS
#
menu                      0

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlsl_enable               1
hlslpath                  hlsl
hlsl_prescale_x           6
hlsl_prescale_y           6
hlsl_write                1
hlsl_snap_width           1920
hlsl_snap_height          1080
shadow_mask_tile_mode     0
shadow_mask_alpha         0.15
shadow_mask_texture       slot-mask.png
shadow_mask_x_count       6
shadow_mask_y_count       4
shadow_mask_usize         0.1875
shadow_mask_vsize         0.1875
shadow_mask_uoffset       0.0
shadow_mask_voffset       0.0
curvature                 0.10
round_corner              0.10
smooth_border             0.03
reflection                0.0
vignetting                0.20
scanline_alpha            1.50
scanline_size             1.0
scanline_height           1.0
scanline_bright_scale     1.15
scanline_bright_offset    0.0
scanline_jitter           0.1
hum_bar_alpha             0.0
defocus                   0.20,0.0
converge_x                0.25,0.00,-0.25
converge_y                0.0,0.25,-0.25
radial_converge_x         0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y         0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio                 1.0,0.0,0.0
grn_ratio                 0.0,1.0,0.0
blu_ratio                 0.0,0.0,1.0
saturation                1.30
offset                    0.0,0.0,0.0
scale                     0.95,0.95,0.95
power                     0.8,0.8,0.8
floor                     0.01,0.01,0.01
phosphor_life             0.4,0.4,0.4

#
# NTSC POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
yiq_enable                0
yiq_jitter                0.0
yiq_cc                    3.57954545
yiq_a                     0.5
yiq_b                     0.5
yiq_o                     0.0
yiq_p                     1.0
yiq_n                     1.0
yiq_y                     6.0
yiq_i                     1.2
yiq_q                     0.6
yiq_scan_time             52.6
yiq_phase_count           2

#
# VECTOR POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
vector_beam_smooth        0.0
vector_length_scale       0.5
vector_length_ratio       0.5

#
# BLOOM POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
bloom_blend_mode          0
bloom_scale               0.28
bloom_overdrive           1.0,1.0,1.0
bloom_lvl0_weight         1.0
bloom_lvl1_weight         0.64
bloom_lvl2_weight         0.32
bloom_lvl3_weight         0.16
bloom_lvl4_weight         0.08
bloom_lvl5_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl6_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl7_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl8_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl9_weight         0.01
bloom_lvl10_weight        0.01

#
# FULL SCREEN OPTIONS
#
triplebuffer              0
full_screen_brightness    1.0
full_screen_contrast      1.0
full_screen_gamma         1.0

#
# INPUT DEVICE OPTIONS
#
global_inputs             0
dual_lightgun             0
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

@s8n: lots of things have changed in MAME since then, check the posts above.

Personally I'm waiting for GM 0.182 D3D9ex which should also come with the audio latency reduction settings.
But for HLSL settings yeah, you have to deal with more than one file and folders, plus increasingly unintelligible settings, it's become more obscure.
s8n

Post by s8n »

roger that makes sense , i may have to resort to using GM V1.71 for now till someone posts some mame.ini settings that are compatible with GM V1.79.........
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

BTW why 0.179 ? I doubt anyone will stick to that one while we're at 0.181 and soon 0.182, naturally the settings they'll post will integrate the new changes that may not match your 0.179

If you were expecting a monolithic, unchanging structure and settings in MAME (and GroovyMAME) from release-to-release, you're not in the right 'years', since last year that emulator has been evolving radically and they're definitely not done, there's new stuff almost every month making the previous obsolete.
s8n

Post by s8n »

i happened to find the 1.79 romset so yeah i was looking for GM to match them , you are right though in your reply.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Shouldn't be a problem updating a romset w/ small update packs and CLRmamepro, which is still a thing I believe.