Sony GVM-1311Q \ GVM-2020 \ PVMs experience and issues

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kebrank

Sony GVM-1311Q \ GVM-2020 \ PVMs experience and issues

Post by kebrank »

Hello,
I have a female Scart to PVM-1390 25pin RGB adapter that works perfect with my PVM-1390.
I just got a Sony GVM-1311Q that uses the same 25pin RGB connector with almost the same PVM-1390 pinout.
However, the image is always out of sync. I tried it with my Supergun, Megadrive, etc. All with the same result.
I opened the adapter and all the grounds are tied from the 15-24 pins (PVM-1390 connector). Besides that, I can't see any other differences that could cause this sync issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
\o/.k.
Last edited by kebrank on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGB32E

Re: Scart to Sony GVM-1311Q RGB cable

Post by RGB32E »

Did you read the manual? :idea:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/GVM1311Q.PDF

I looked at the manual and it looks like the adapter might not work because pin 20 is tied to ground. Looks like pin 20 is CSYNC out! :shock:
kebrank

Post by kebrank »

yes, I read the manual. However, I was able to get composite video with the SUPERIMPOSE switch on, since pin 14 is open. This only worked for the Megadrive evidently since the arcade boards have pure CSYNC. I'll try to remove pin 20 from ground and see if it works but I don't see how grounding the pin could affect the CSYNC In.
Thanks,
\o/.k.
kebrank

Post by kebrank »

I removed pin 20 from ground and no luck. Same thing :(
\o/.k.
kebrank

Post by kebrank »

I made the GVM-1311Q work using the DB9 connector. Not without issues, because the pinout diagram was reversed in the manual. I found out the hard way after i soldered all the pins and nothing worked, then I downloaded the manual for the GVM-2020 that also has a DB9 connector and found out the error. I also have a couple of GVM-2020 and also another couple of PVM-20L2MD. This has been my experience:

Tested all them with...
- Megadrive + original RGB Scart cable
- Supergun arcade (Neo Geo RGB connector)

PVM-1390 / 2030

DB25 connector:

- Megadrive + original RGB Scart cable. I used them with the Scart to PVM adapter that i ordered from retro gaming cables and worked perfect.
- Supergun arcade (Neo Geo RGB connector). I used my own cable and worked perfect.

GVM-1311Q

DB25 connector:

- Megadrive + original RGB Scart cable. I used them with the Scart to PVM adapter that i ordered from retro gaming cables and didn't work. I made a duplicate of the cable without all the grounds and still didn't work. I even moved the ground pin by pin and still didn't work. As soon as the ground is connected the monitor. it goes out of sync. Strange thing is, without the ground, the image has sync but looks very washed out evidently. Also, with the SuperImpose ON, I got a perfect composite video image, but no RGB.
- Supergun arcade (Neo Geo RGB connector). Same issue, out of sync.

DB9 connector:

- Megadrive. Didn't test it but it could work with the right cable or adapter (Scart to DB9)
- Supergun arcade (Neo Geo RGB connector). Works great using the cable that i made. Perfect image.

GVM-2020

This monitor uses BNC for analog RGBs but also has a DB9. It's multiscan, supports everything from 15khz and up like the GVM-1311Q.

BNC connector:

- Megadrive + original RGB Scart cable. I used the Scart to BNC cable that I got from retro gaming cables. It didn't work, out of sync. But a different out of sync from the GVM-1311Q.

- Supergun arcade (Neo Geo RGB connector). I used a Neo Geo RGB to Scart plus again the Scart to BNC. Image is vibrant and really good with horizontal arcade games. With vertical games, the image bowed extremely bad. ((((((((((((( <- Following that direction. Tried a second monitor and got the same result. Both monitors were new.

DB9:

- Megadrive. Didn't test it.
- Supergun arcade (Neo Geo RGB connector). Used the same GVM-1311Q cable and had the same issue that with the RGBs BNC. Horizontal image was great, but vertical one was very bowed.

PVM-20L2MD

This monitor uses BNC for analog RGB. Has dual RGB in using the BNCs.

BNC connector:

- Megadrive + original RGB Scart cable. I used the Scart to BNC cable that I got from retro gaming cables. Perfect image.

- Supergun arcade (Neo Geo RGB connector). I used a Neo Geo RGB to Scart plus again the Scart to BNC adapter. Perfect image again.

This monitor supports up to 4v p-p for sync, when the GVM-2020 only 1v p-p.

Questions without an answer....

Why the GVM-1311Q DB25 pin conector is out of sync for any analog signal but it can display a composite image using the superimpose switch and the composite video from the megadrive?

Why the GVM-2020 BNC connector is out of sync for the Megadrive? Maybe it can't strip the sync... Any idea?

Why the GVM-2020 using both DB9 and RGB BNC plugs bows the image really bad for vertical games (monitor standing up horizontal). Is it because the voltage 1v p-p instead the 4v p-p for the PVM-20L2MD?

Thanks everybody.
kebrank

Re: Sony GVM-1311Q \ GVM-2020 \ PVMs experience and issues

Post by kebrank »

Those are photos of the GVM-2020 with Sky Soldiers and Shadow Force PCBs. Notice how bowed is the Sky Soldiers image.

Sky Soldiers:

Shadow Force:

Thanks,
\o/.k.
mazdababy

Re: Sony GVM-1311Q \ GVM-2020 \ PVMs experience and issues

Post by mazdababy »

I know this is from over five years ago, but did you ever figure out the RGB B sync issue on the 1311Q? RGB A partially works for me...

Xbox, PS2, SNES, N64, & Saturn work on RGB A

Master System, Genesis, & Dreamcast with Toro are out of sync on RGB A

While everything is out of synv on RGB B

All of these consoles work on my 14L5 however.