shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:11 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:57 am 

Hello,
Thought I'd try and see if anyone here would have any idea of what could be the culprit of this type of horizontal shadows
showing up with white areas. Aside from this, the set is perfectly fine.
(MX4000 sw 4.7)

Grateful for any directions or ideas.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:30 pm 

Usually the culprit is lack of proper isolation in video cables.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:07 pm 

Thanks for the reply, kamiboy.

The dark streaking goes for menus in the tv as well even when not using AV.
It also has these bulging geometry issues, non-fixable with the service menu or adjustments to the yoke.

Maybe I'll just throw it away and get a good upscaler. Everyone's hoarded all the good monitors by now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:28 pm 

I am pretty satisfied with the MX4200 and Beovisio 1 B&O CRT’s that I own. I think they too exhibit something similar, but not to the same extent. The contrast andvor brightness settings might influence the severity of the effect. I guess it all comes down to how anal one is when it comes to picture quality.

You are right though in that most of the good CRT stock have already been hoarded by enthusiasts. Alas, CRT alternatives have problems of their own. Retro gaming is an exercise in choosing which cons one most prefers to have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:33 pm 

Hi Guys! Sorry to resurect an old thread but I just picked up an MX7000 for next to nothing but it wont currently switch on and I see no red standby light at all. It has a 2 pin Euro plug on the end of the cable which I have plugged into an adapter (I am in the UK so a 3 pin adapter) and the TV is rated for 240V AC.

I assume the fuse would be a good place to start, does anyone have any experiences of the MX range for things I could look out for?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:56 am 

I just got hold of a nice condition MX6000, had the back off to give it a clean and dust and adjust the focus. I’ve been through the service menus but other than using magnetic strips how can I adjust convergence on these sets?

It doesn’t have the options like my old BVM did. 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:59 am 

Initial-d wrote:
I just got hold of a nice condition MX6000, had the back off to give it a clean and dust and adjust the focus. I’ve been through the service menus but other than using magnetic strips how can I adjust convergence on these sets?

No you can't adjust convergence in any way. Even the static convergence (center of screen) is impossible because Philips tubes don't have adjustable rings on the neck. Convergence strips are never used on these tubes either. It's possible that the convergence while not perfect is within tolerance, i.e. it was like that from the beginning and was deemed OK at the CRT factory, and that you are picky about it due to your previous experience with the BVM. If you can't adjust to it I'd suggest you get a Sony PC monitor like CPD-E500E which costs next to nothing and allows to adjust convergence through OSD. Coupled with a OSSC should give a picture pretty much identical to that of a BVM with 15KHz sources.

- Anonymous on Facebook

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:22 am 

Do anyone know if the LX2500 and LX2800 models supports NTSC/RGB through the SCART input?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:59 pm 

MKL wrote:
Initial-d wrote:

No you can't adjust convergence in any way. Even the static convergence (center of screen) is impossible because Philips tubes don't have adjustable rings on the neck. Convergence strips are never used on these tubes either. It's possible that the convergence while not perfect is within tolerance, i.e. it was like that from the beginning and was deemed OK at the CRT factory, and that you are picky about it due to your previous experience with the BVM. If you can't adjust to it I'd suggest you get a Sony PC monitor like CPD-E500E which costs next to nothing and allows to adjust convergence through OSD. Coupled with a OSSC should give a picture pretty much identical to that of a BVM with 15KHz sources.

Thanks for the in-depth reply and suggestion, it’s me just being picky to be fair. As much as I loved the BVM it was too perfect!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19