B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
g5k

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

Post by g5k »

kamiboy wrote:Interesting, none of my B&O's do that.

It is probably to do with the SCART connection in your setup not passing the 5v. The B&O will auto detect the signal if 5v is present and switch to that input. Some pinouts here.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... escart.htm

I'm using the Arcadeforge UMSA with my rpi and the UMSA gives me 240p RGB SCART signal for the tv with the sync combined. Works beautifully.
drb

Post by drb »

Hi All. Does anyone know the easiest way to remove the glass contrast screen on an MX4002? I've trawled these forums, and the web, and can't find a definitive explanation. Any advice gratefully received!
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Thanks for the help guys but I had no dice turning on the beovision 1 through scart. I think I read that they're not compatible with universal remotes, is that right?
g5k

Post by g5k »

Gunstar wrote:Thanks for the help guys but I had no dice turning on the beovision 1 through scart. I think I read that they're not compatible with universal remotes, is that right?

If you have a multimeter I'd check the pin for 5v output not all cables have all he pins wired.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

g5k wrote:
Gunstar wrote:Thanks for the help guys but I had no dice turning on the beovision 1 through scart. I think I read that they're not compatible with universal remotes, is that right?

If you have a multimeter I'd check the pin for 5v output not all cables have all he pins wired.
I just checked the Ps2 scart I'm using, pin 16 from what I can tell is the one that has 5v, is that right? Maybe something is up with the scart ports on this tv. I'll be on the hunt for a remote! Thanks for your help, g5k.
g5k

Post by g5k »

Gunstar wrote:
g5k wrote:I just checked the Ps2 scart I'm using, pin 16 from what I can tell is the one that has 5v, is that right? Maybe something is up with the scart ports on this tv. I'll be on the hunt for a remote! Thanks for your help, g5k.

I think pin 16 is correct for 5v. I just went and double checked my setup and with tv in standby I turn on my rPi let that start booting and then turn on the UMSA which is providing the SCART signal and the TV turns on and switches to the right input.

One thing that might be preventing this on yours is the menu on the TV may be telling that AV input to use svideo instead of SCART which I'm pretty sure would mean the tv is ignoring the SCART input. You'll need a remote to check this and change.

I was also wondering because UMSA has its own power supply if that is helping. If you just have a passive cable it would be relying on your device you are trying to connect is otputting the 5v (your multimeter test would have confirmed this though).

Good luck hope you sort it out. Will be well worth it.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Appreciate you checking! Yeah seems like a catch 22, need the remote so I can set it to turn on without a remote via scart lol

Do you have the Beovision 1? I read some talk about firmware/software versions in this thread, does that apply to the Beovision 1 or just the MX series? I've got an SW 2.5, just wondering what I'm missing.
g5k

Post by g5k »

Gunstar wrote:Appreciate you checking! Yeah seems like a catch 22, need the remote so I can set it to turn on without a remote via scart lol

Do you have the Beovision 1? I read some talk about firmware/software versions in this thread, does that apply to the Beovision 1 or just the MX series? I've got an SW 2.5, just wondering what I'm missing.
My mx4002 is software 4.something and MX7000 us software 1.0, given the Beo is a newer set I would think it has the functionality too. The remote is handy to have so I'd just get one they are a beautiful piece of hardware too.
agentsmith

Post by agentsmith »

hi guys,

i think i have a problem with my mx4000

the two scart output (av1 en av2) worked like a charm until i want to plug my jap sega saturn with composite video (with a scart adaptator) to the av1 (my saturn jap is modded with rca output) and i have nothing at screen :-(

since this, my av1 seems not to work anymore...

- with my atari jaguar in rgb i have a deformed picture (in diagonal, blinking and transparant) not possible to use
- with my old videorecorder i have sound but no picture

They worked before... i check the apparence of the av1 and see no damage on the pin...

I have only plug/unplug different scart cables (i have a lot of old consoles) 10 -15 times...

can a scart input may be damaged?

any ideas?

thanks
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

^Ah man, that's terrible, hopefully, it's something you can fix.

I managed to get a Beo4 and can now turn on the TV! But there's a twist, it needs a security pincode...I don't think the original seller has one but I've asked. Should have done some research on this but I might have a lovely paper weight.
g5k

Post by g5k »

Gunstar wrote:^Ah man, that's terrible, hopefully, it's something you can fix.

I managed to get a Beo4 and can now turn on the TV! But there's a twist, it needs a security pincode...I don't think the original seller has one but I've asked. Should have done some research on this but I might have a lovely paper weight.

Wonder if it was used in hotel mode?
You have to remove the module (a physical add on). Details are in this thread.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/7640.aspx
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

4 digit pincodes are a standard feature of B&O equipment because they are luxury goods and target for thievery. If enabled the set will ask for a pin if it is ever unplugged then plugged back into the wall socket.

I believe you get a small number of code entry attempts, 3 or 4, then the system shuts down and you will not be able to do anything with the set at which point you need a B&O technician to help you. The sets did ship with a standard code, not sure whether it is 0000 or 1111.

The previous owner should have given you the code, or remembered to turn off the pin function. I had the same problem, had to go to the local B&O shop and have them track down the previous owner.
Last edited by kamiboy on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Thanks for the info guys!

I've contacted the seller and they're away until after easter so it'll be a wait before they can get a master code on my behalf. Amazed there's no hack for it though! Seems I need to open it to see if it has a hotel module, might do that later but I couldn't find a pic of it on the net, I'm assuming it should be easy to spot..
g5k

Post by g5k »

Gunstar wrote:Thanks for the info guys!

I've contacted the seller and they're away until after easter so it'll be a wait before they can get a master code on my behalf. Amazed there's no hack for it though! Seems I need to open it to see if it has a hotel module, might do that later but I couldn't find a pic of it on the net, I'm assuming it should be easy to spot..

Just look for the valet attendant.
nam9

Post by nam9 »

Hi. Interesting issue on n MX8000 set.
I am trying to run a Naomi through an Extron RGB to the MX8000, but all i get is a black screen.
I have the dip switch set to 15kHz on the Naomi. The Extron should be handling the sync combine.
I have tested the same setup with a Dreamcast with Hanzo VGA box - that works.
What am i missing? Surely I should have something on screen?
spacedmonkeys

Post by spacedmonkeys »

Just bought an Mx4002.
Early software revision (2.0)but the picture seems ok to me..can't fault it.
Unfortunately need to bridge the pins to get to service mode, as my screenis pulled to the left...that's for later.

More urgently: this set should be stereo correct? I seem to be only getting sound from one speaker, at the bottom left... is there another at the bottom right?

I guess I should take it apart and check the connections, hopefully the speaker is not dead :(
spacedmonkeys

Post by spacedmonkeys »

Well looks like the Tv was fine, after taking it all apart it was pin 2 on the scart cable that had been pushed in!
Didn't bother trying service menu while it was open, don't fancy being electrocuted!
Last edited by spacedmonkeys on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star1

Post by Star1 »

spacedmonkeys wrote:Well looks like the Tv was fine, after taking it all apart it was pin 2 on the scary cable that had been pushed in!
Didn't bother trying service menu while it was open, don't fancy being electrocuted!
I used to use a screwdriver to access the service menu ;P Now I have a switch hooked up.
sh13ld

Post by sh13ld »

How safe it is to adjust the focus potentiometer on the TV's neck board? Would want to tweak it a bit but I'm a bit hesitant due to the high voltages i side TVs, especially ones that are on. Can I just turn the focus with a screwdriver and not touch anything else?

edit: Here is photo of the neck card: https://imgur.com/gallery/LfYQn
Last edited by sh13ld on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Isn't the focus pot usually placed on the flyback on crt's?
sh13ld

Post by sh13ld »

kamiboy wrote:Isn't the focus pot usually placed on the flyback on crt's?
Here's a photo of the neck board: https://imgur.com/gallery/LfYQn
MKL

Post by MKL »

It's safe but you need an allen wrench not a screwdriver.

It's pretty common for some brands (e.g. Grundig) to have both the screen and the focus pots on the neckboard.
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Ideally you would use a plastic tool for the adjustment, but a screwdriver works fine in this case. No allen wrench needed, the pots have screwdriver indentations. The pots are plastic themselves and there is no risk of shock or short circuit unless you are very clumsy.
Caprica Orange

Post by Caprica Orange »

Hey guys, I've been going through multiple threads in regards to the MX4000 but couldnt find it yet. Excuse me if my search wasnt thorough enough...

With all my might I'm trying to get rid of some geometry problems. Top of the screen is slightly squashed and there is a pincussion effect. I tried most settings in the service menu but either I'm doig it wrong or I dont know what I'm doing lol....

I'm using a supergun, is there anyone that could give me some example settings that I can tinker with?
That would be VERY helpful.....

EDIT: found, for reference my Taito F3 likes:

HFQ: 45
HPH: 35
HAM: 33
VAM: 24
VSC: 27
VSH: 17
VLI: 16
EWC: 21
EWP: 26
EWT: 45

Maybe it will help anyone else....
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Caprica Orange wrote:EDIT: found, for reference my Taito F3 likes:

HFQ: 45
HPH: 35
HAM: 33
VAM: 24
VSC: 27
VSH: 17
VLI: 16
EWC: 21
EWP: 26
EWT: 45

Maybe it will help anyone else....
Don't copy anyone's settings because each CRT has different geometry. Same goes for screen settings like contrast, brightness, white balance and colour management settings on every display type.
sunnygilluk

Post by sunnygilluk »

Hi all, i have an MX4002, im using an RGB SCART from my PAL SNES / Gamecube into the tv. The SNES image looks perfect, the gamecube image however is very dim and seems way too dark, even if i turn the sets brightness up from the service menu - it just doesnt seem right, ive tried 3 different cables and 3 different SNES consoles - always the same thing. Ive googled the problem and cant see anyone else having this issue with gamecube - do any of you guys know what may be wrong?
Rikrok

Post by Rikrok »

drb wrote:Hi All. Does anyone know the easiest way to remove the glass contrast screen on an MX4002? I've trawled these forums, and the web, and can't find a definitive explanation. Any advice gratefully received!
Me too! Please someone help. Apparently it's the same as the later (glass screen) MX4000's where you remove the side panel first. I have no idea what to do and don't want to damage the set. My prying with a flat head screwdriver has so far just resulted in scratches...
Star1

Post by Star1 »

I havent seen the mx4002, so there might be differences, but on my mx7000, to remove the glass, you first remove the speaker grille. Then you remove the plastic cover right below the screen. It's easier to remove than the one above the screen from what I remember. They extend to the side of the chassis, and where they end, there are small protruberanses. Just try to get your nail under it and pull towards you, this should make it come loose.
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Star1 wrote:I havent seen the mx4002, so there might be differences, but on my mx7000, to remove the glass, you first remove the speaker grille. Then you remove the plastic cover right below the screen. It's easier to remove than the one above the screen from what I remember. They extend to the side of the chassis, and where they end, there are small protruberanses. Just try to get your nail under it and pull towards you, this should make it come loose.
For the MX7000, you only have to remove the plastic covers above and below the glass and then take out the 4 screws behind them. No need to remove the speaker grille.

I have the docs for all these models at home. I will check how to remove the 4002 cover when I get the chance if you want.
Rikrok

Post by Rikrok »

Makinx wrote:I have the docs for all these models at home. I will check how to remove the 4002 cover when I get the chance if you want.
I'd really appreciate that, thank you. The closest I found is a service manual that covers a few models but not the 4002 or the glass screened 4000.