B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fagin

Re: This is now about the B&O MX4/6/7000 CRT TV

Post by fagin »

You'll actually have a different voltage because of the frequency differences. I wouldn't personally run it and the fact that your TV PSU is making a noise sort of states the TV doesn't like it either.
Adderall

Post by Adderall »

I think with a proper converter from 110V to 220V it should be running correctly.

Do you think it needs repair?
Anybody else here in the U.S. running a Euro TV ?
fagin

Post by fagin »

It's not the 110v to 220v conversion that is the problem. It's the fact your AC is 60hz and the EU AC is 50hz and I suspect your invertor isn't supplying the correct frequency.... hence the noise you're getting.
Adderall

Post by Adderall »

yup.. back of the TV specifically says 50hz. Soooooo I'm pretty much screwed.

I don't see any 60 to 50hz converters.... This sucks.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

as far as I know that's a very expensive conversion.
Adderall

Post by Adderall »

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

absolutely no idea, sorry.

How do you - in the US I assume - get ahold of such a TV set ?
Adderall

Post by Adderall »

Fudoh wrote:absolutely no idea, sorry.

How do you - in the US I assume - get ahold of such a TV set ?
It was in someone's storage purchase... no clue who had it before me. It didn't break the bank, but I wish I had done my homework. Now it's a pretty paper weight :(
Adderall

Post by Adderall »

OK, so check this out.......

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 54342.html

The TV is only 90w.... If I can somehow feed this DC 12v then maybe I can get it to work?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

seems like an idea. 12V PSUs are easy to find. Check the camping/car stores.
Adderall

Post by Adderall »

ok...I got a delivery today. I'm going to hook this up and check it out sometime tomorrow.

130AC 60hz input USA power -> 12v DC -> 220AC 50hz

If this doesn't work.... then.... well... I guess it doesn't work then.
Adderall

Post by Adderall »

well, that was a failure.

Looks like it's blowing a fuse or something. That TV isn't supposed to pull very many watts.... and the maximum output of the converter is 600w. So, I don't know why it wouldn't work :( unless it really doesn't translate to 50hz with a 60hz source.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBn03cAx1sU

ooooooh well.
ThEmperorIsDead

Post by ThEmperorIsDead »

Sorry to hear man. :cry:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you can replace the fuse, I would test the 12V to 220V converter with a car battery. I guess that's what it's actually meant for. People going camping are using those converters all the time. I can just imagine that the 110V to 12V converter can't keep up with the initial current needed during power up.
fagin

Post by fagin »

That fuse isn't blown.... your invertor isn't able to switch correctly due to lack of amps from your 12v supply I would guess.
Adderall

Post by Adderall »

the thing supposedly outputs 33 Amps.... guess that isn't enough
fagin

Post by fagin »

A standard car battery will provide around 45 ampere per hour with a cold cranking amp rating of 350+ amps.

As Fudoh says and you're able to logistically do this...... get a fag lighter adapter and rig it up to a car and see if it fires the invertor and TV up.

One other thing worth checking is that your invertor can SUSTAIN 600w draw. If that's PEAK and not sustained, that maybe an issue if it can only sustain something like 300w.

Check the specs.
fagin

Post by fagin »

fagin wrote:
SuperPang wrote:Hello fellas.

I just picked up an MX4000. Sexiest CRT ever and no mistake. It seems to be the 1992 model with the more basic Beolink 1000 remote. How do I get into the service menu? MENU,1,1,PLAY doesn't seem to work unless I'm missing something. It just shows the software number (1.1)

There are 3 consoles I want to use:
Japanese Saturn - looks great.
Analogue Interactive CMVS - picture a bit dull even with contrast and colour maxed out.
RGB modded Japanese N64 - lovely picture except moving images roll as if the V-hold needs adjusting.

Geometry is decent enough but the screen needs shifting to the right. Convergence is excellent.

My other niggle is that there's some buzz from the speakers. Weirdly it happens when bright images are on screen or the neo geo cross hatch etc. I actually thought it was the flyback until I turned the volume down!

EDIT: Balls, it looks like you have to take the back off and short something to get into service mode on the early models.
You have an early model.... I need to get my video up to explain a) how to spot one and b) why the picture is not as good as the later models.
As previously promised -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj6iGdWeXj0
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Nice set.

I have mine set up now. The crosstalk was thankfully down to a Scart extension I was temporarily using so the speakers are now buzz free (and frankly the best small TV speakers I've ever heard). I sorted my N64 sync too (I'm still not quite sure how, heh).

I'm really happy with it. The Saturn looks good around the defaults, the N64 likes the contrast all the way up. Both are colourful enough but it is indeed not as vibrant as the Trinitron I use with my Supergun test rig. This must partly be down to the screen cover as well. It's still a very nice picture and the fact that it sounds and looks great and I can tuck it in the corner means I have no intention of swapping. Convergence is very good, geometry is good enough. The H-pos is set a little to the left but I'm not going to open it up. For a SW 1.1 model it seems to be pretty good and well looked after. A bargain at £17.52 and a 6 mile round trip. I'll keep my eye out for a newer version though.

I'll try and snap a pic but usually fail miserably at screen shots.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Best I can do..

futurematt5

Post by futurematt5 »

Great picture SuperPang, welcome to the bang and olufsen retro tv lounge. a place for style, sophistication and slender CRT sexiness!
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fagin wrote:As previously promised -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj6iGdWeXj0
Whats your favorite Trinitron chassis?
cools

Post by cools »

SuperPang wrote:Best I can do..

Looks like my MAME HLSL preset.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

What happened to you cools :cry:
cools

Post by cools »

Financial crash of 2012
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Won this yesterday for £35:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bang-Olufsen- ... true&rt=nc

This will be my second MX4000, hoping it works well and is in good shape. I saw it in the last 5 mins and bought it on impulse primarily because the remote costs £35 alone, and my existing MX4000 has been a struggle with no official remote since I pulled it out the trash. Hoping this remote will either solve its probs (it's fussy about auto switching to AV. Loves Neo AES, refuses to recognise anything else) or certify that it has a fault.

Either way, I'll have one white and one black model now, nice combination, and I adore the design of the set. Fingers crossed it's not in an externally poor state and the picture isn't buggered at all.

One question for you guys: can you tell from the listing whether or not this is the older model 4000, or the newer one that will allow service mode access via remote?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Old one I'm afraid. You'd need to take the back off.

Your other set is probably fine. B&O are crap at auto-switching and generally recognising inputs.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

SuperPang wrote:Old one I'm afraid. You'd need to take the back off.

Your other set is probably fine. B&O are crap at auto-switching and generally recognising inputs.
Thanks on both counts. Is it particularly tough to get at the service menu via the back? Danger of death?

The original set has been through three different 'programmed' remotes from ebay, none brought me any joy in terms of accessing the AV channels independently. Only the Neo AES and the digital TV receiver get an auto switch on power on, leading me to originally think the set could only recognise PAL inputs (I wasn't sure if it was truly 60hz until I did some googling.)

I hope you're right though, it would be nice to have two workers.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Mr Halibut

Post by Mr Halibut »

Does anyone else have a problem with certain devices always causing the TV to default to 16:9 mode (which you then turn off by using the LIST button to select 'picture mode', then press DOWN for 4:3)? I can't get it to remember the setting, it's just a bit of a pain to keep resetting, like the volume control. This is on an MX4200 btw, I'm not sure if the older models have that feature.

BTW for anyone trying to get the service menu on an MX4200 the code is MENU, 0, 0, GO (not 1,1 as used on other sets). I got that from a PDF of the service manual which can be found somewhere online, I don't have the link to hand right now.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Skykid wrote: Thanks on both counts. Is it particularly tough to get at the service menu via the back? Danger of death?

The original set has been through three different 'programmed' remotes from ebay, none brought me any joy in terms of accessing the AV channels independently. Only the Neo AES and the digital TV receiver get an auto switch on power on, leading me to originally think the set could only recognise PAL inputs (I wasn't sure if it was truly 60hz until I did some googling.)

I hope you're right though, it would be nice to have two workers.
Open CRTs are always dangerous but only if you touch something you shouldn't. I think there's a jumper at the back of the chassis for service mode. Fit a switch and cut a hole in the casing if you're feeling adventurous.

B&O remotes are ridiculously cryptic as they're designed to run every B&O device known to man. You can usually assign the scart inputs to a device in the menu. V TAPE is the default for the first scart input on most B&O.
Mr Halibut wrote:Does anyone else have a problem with certain devices always causing the TV to default to 16:9 mode (which you then turn off by using the LIST button to select 'picture mode', then press DOWN for 4:3)? I can't get it to remember the setting, it's just a bit of a pain to keep resetting, like the volume control. This is on an MX4200 btw, I'm not sure if the older models have that feature.
Yes. I'm rocking a Beovision 1 now and both my Saturn and Supergun trigger 16:9. I had to find a manual to figure out the secret button combination for 4:3 :lol:

It's one of their last CRTs produced yet theres no auto-switching or saving different picture settings for different inputs. Looks the part though, nice picture and amazing sound as always.