B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Drachenherz

Re: This is now about the B&O MX4000 CRT TV

Post by Drachenherz »

Hey, cool, many thanks, it works with the service menu. Now I just have to hunt down the info what all those abbreviations mean.

But what's strange: atm, I connected the xbox through rgb-scart on the AV1-scart plug of the TV. On the remote, I have to choose "V-tape 1" (pressing the "AV"-button on the remote does nothing and yes, I got both AV plugs activated in the menues).

Now, I can well press "menu", and that's getting my to the "v-tape" menue, where I can change the sound and video settings.

But I cannot enter service mode by entering the "secret" code, I have to go to the "tv"-mode to do this - where I got only white noise, as I haben't got a tv signal coming in.

Back in "v-tape" mode, when I enter the picture menue, I can set the saturation, color and contrast, but it seems that I cannot save the settings. When the menu is displayed, the changes of the image settings are well shown, but when I press "go" to save them, the menu either stays on (with the changed settings). When I press "go" when on the menu item "v-tape", the menu disappears - but so do all my manual calibrations and the image is back to standard. The same happens when I press "exit": menu dissappears, and so do my changes of colours, saturation and brightness... :?:

And plugging the box in the AV2 plug nets me the same results.

Ans ideas how to save my settings and how to enter service menu for the "v-tape" (xbox) mode?

If need shall be, I can take pics of all mentioned menues and sertings.

Thanks a lot guys for your help!

Actually... I like the mx4000 quite much, and it seems it has quite some potential. Hope to be able to use all this potential to the fullest.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I don't remember very well know, but first: yes, you need to be in TV mode with the white noise to go to service menu, and then change to AV1/2. second, you need to set up the scart 1/2 socket, but if i remember right you should select other thing like besides V-tape for it, i remember something wrong on it putting it in V-tape, but i will check it later. Now, the big important part, i can't save my screen settings too! don't know why, but everytime i turn off my tv it will go back to default settings. The service menu i have a table that matt send me, if you give me your email adress in PM i will send it to you too.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

And BTW, how do I use the deinterlace function?
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

You have to programm you remote control to add the "shift" option. Check this youtube video from Matt, here he explains step by step, 2:20 and forward. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pws_g1ZF ... 6D&index=6
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Overkill wrote:You have to programm you remote control to add the "shift" option. Check this youtube video from Matt, here he explains step by step, 2:20 and forward. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pws_g1ZF ... 6D&index=6
great, thanks a lot for the vid.

Yeah, slowly getting there... Now if I just save those picture settings... I mailed this matt guy, hope he can help me. :)
-SD-

Post by -SD- »

My parents have an MX3000 stashed away in their spare room. I assume that this is just a slightly lower spec model and the quality of the picture will be just as good as the MX4000? It's been years since I've used it, but I do remember playing 60Hz Star Fox 64 upon release and being quite impressed.
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

Darn!

Just lost out on a local eBay bid on a B&O MX4000 with remote, it ended up at £165 !

Have been researching the MX4200 model (again avaliable on eBay)and I do have doubts whether it has the Deinterlace function of the MX4000, it shares the BEO4 remote but no mention of the Non-interlace function in the service manual I have.

But spotted a SONY KVX2152U with VCR for £45 locally, have ordered and waiting for a download of the service menu to see if it does the same as the Shmups Guru Faginrs500's Sony Trinitron..will report back with my findings if it's any help to the forum.
fagin

Post by fagin »

£165 for a B&O MX!!!!! :roll: Whoever bought that for that price must still be pissed on the mulled wine!

The MX4200 has the same functionality as the MX4000, with the added benefit of being able to connect to other B&O equipment.

The service manual for the Sony will not mention anything about the "de-interlace" function, as it's not a feature, more an undocumented "bonus".
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

fagin wrote:£165 for a B&O MX!!!!! :roll: Whoever bought that for that price must still be pissed on the mulled wine!

The MX4200 has the same functionality as the MX4000, with the added benefit of being able to connect to other B&O equipment.

The service manual for the Sony will not mention anything about the "de-interlace" function, as it's not a feature, more an undocumented "bonus".
Thanks Fagin!

I didn't want to pay more than £100 for it (it was used in the bedroom and had the Beo4 remote), buy it now was £150, I bid up to £160 before I came to my senses! But some AV shop is selling them for £350!!!

This is the confusing bit, the MX4002 model has Beolink, but looking at the MX4200 it looks like a replacement for MX4000/4002 and have vertical scart sockets at the back...the service manual looks completely different doesn't mention shift function that futurematt shown in the service manual on his youtube video for MX4000...tempted but £150 is a lot to punt on...

The Sony i looked at looks like it has the teletext overlay button, but to do the picture adjustments I need to open up the TV to adjust the pots, which I'm a bit iffy doing...fear of electrocution!

It's a whole new world this 240p business for me, been Going through one by one of your great videos, learning quite a bit.

At the moment I'm playing emulators on my modded Xbox (dug out of my garage) and an old Philips CM8833 through RGB scart, beautiful picture even at 480i, will at the mo grab an RGB scart for my Wii and see how well it puts out 240p on Wii VC games...
fagin

Post by fagin »

As far as I'm aware the functionality is the same as the 4000. I would not be paying that kind of money though..... it really isn't worth it (you can buy a Sony PVM for less than that..... heaven forbid, I bought a Sony BVM for less than that! lol). Max price would be £50 for a MX, especially when you can bag a good Sony CRT for £10!

Well... the chassis in that Sony TV is supposed to be the best you can get, but it (as you suggest) is analogue and requires you to take the back off. Not that should pose a major issues in my opinion, as you may find the geometry settings are fine as they are.
futurematt5

Post by futurematt5 »

Hi, make sure you use the deinterlace function with any xbox 360 games. You bring up picture menu, shield the infra red of the remote and bring up shift (you may need to programme the beo4 with this command) and then hit 7. The screen will de-interlace meaning lovely static scanlines. The effect works best in a dark room when the set adjusts its brilliance down (auto feature).

Check out my video on the MX7000 for full run down of the service mode.

Hope you enjoy this excellent set. I have a 4000 and 7000 and apart from getting a faulty 7000 (my mistake, grabbed a £12 bargain) which I got repaired, I have not regretted any aspect of these sets. Picture quality is amazing especially when chassis is tuned correctly (thanks again Fagin). They are the slimmest Tvs you will find, and slot nicely into any game room.
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

fagin wrote:As far as I'm aware the functionality is the same as the 4000. I would not be paying that kind of money though..... it really isn't worth it (you can buy a Sony PVM for less than that..... heaven forbid, I bought a Sony BVM for less than that! lol). Max price would be £50 for a MX, especially when you can bag a good Sony CRT for £10!

Well... the chassis in that Sony TV is supposed to be the best you can get, but it (as you suggest) is analogue and requires you to take the back off. Not that should pose a major issues in my opinion, as you may find the geometry settings are fine as they are.
Thanks Fagin,

Think I will carry on hunting around, typical eBay has 0 Trinitrons that are suitable for sale. It might be more sensible for me to build something that would output 240p(PC with 15khz output) or something along the lines of an Extron rather than worrying about what TVs deinterlace..back to watching your youtube stuff for research! :-)
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

futurematt5 wrote:Hi, make sure you use the deinterlace function with any xbox 360 games. You bring up picture menu, shield the infra red of the remote and bring up shift (you may need to programme the beo4 with this command) and then hit 7. The screen will de-interlace meaning lovely static scanlines. The effect works best in a dark room when the set adjusts its brilliance down (auto feature).

Check out my video on the MX7000 for full run down of the service mode.

Hope you enjoy this excellent set. I have a 4000 and 7000 and apart from getting a faulty 7000 (my mistake, grabbed a £12 bargain) which I got repaired, I have not regretted any aspect of these sets. Picture quality is amazing especially when chassis is tuned correctly (thanks again Fagin). They are the slimmest Tvs you will find, and slot nicely into any game room.
Thanks futurematt!

Still stuck with a CM8833 and a modded xbox at the mo(but still a good taster) i do like MX4000 but lost a bid on one and people were bidding £150+ for them. There are now only MX4200 left(still not sure whether they deinterlace like MX4000) there is 10 of them for sale in Manchester, bit far out for me. Lookin at cheap Sony Trinitron sets too..

They are lovely slim sets, ideal world I would have one On TATE and a nice Sony for horizontal games...wife will probably have something to say about that lol!
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

Strange old week it's been

The seller of one Trinitron I wanted dropped it on concrete floor before I could view it :-(

A MX4000 turned up on ebay at a not so crazy price and made him a buy it now offer and picked the thing up today. Although Fagin will still think I was also pissed on mulled wine lol!

Impressions so far:

A) Remote weighs as much as a crowbar, lovely feel to it, not as straight forward to use as Sony or LG remotes though.
B) built in sound is great
C) Scanline mode worked (thanks Futurematt!) lovely spaced scanlines
D) However, there is some truth into how the MX4000 handle NTSC signals, colours are a bit washed out and picture softer vs my CM8833...However this could be screen size or quality of my Scart cable. Also bear in mind my XBOX is still adding filters to a 480i picture so not a true 240p

However, these could be that I haven't tweaked the service mode yet, but great solid TV all round, I will test my Wii when I get a RGB scart cable and get some VC games to output true 240p

Overall though, it's a beautiful looking set, just need to get the right kit to output a good signal.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

D) However, there is some truth into how the MX4000 handle NTSC signals, colours are a bit washed out and picture softer vs my CM8833...However this could be screen size or quality of my Scart cable. Also bear in mind my XBOX is still adding filters to a 480i picture so not a true 240p
If you noticed that too, it shows my unit is not faulty handling 60hz NTSC signals. Did you notice some kind of color bleeding too?
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

Overkill wrote:
If you noticed that too, it shows my unit is not faulty handling 60hz NTSC signals. Did you notice some kind of color bleeding too?
Hi

There is some sort of colour bleeding from Green or Red fonts on blue backgrounds, althiough that happens when I change my Xbox to NTSC or PAL

I also notice the colour settings doesn't do much on my MX4000 (I turn it up to 62 there's no difference in colour vibrance much..you only notice the colour changes when I press the menu button, whereas the screen changes (alomost like it's going through composite) and you see really saturated colours almost as if it makes the colour changes there.

Looking at this more my MX4000 (in NTSC mode with Xbox feeding a 480i picture, with scanlline mode on MX4000 ON:

No flickering
Colours a bit washed out
text slightly blurry (noticable in CPS1/CPS2 warning messages (ie Blue text)

As I say it could be my Xbox not getting along with my MX4000, I should be getting my PAL Wii RGB Scart cable next week, I will try both PAL game and a VC Neo Geo at 240P

Will report back...
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

But if you have a PAL wii, your neogeo virtual console games will stay on 50hz. Better try it with a 240p PC engine title.
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

Overkill wrote:But if you have a PAL wii, your neogeo virtual console games will stay on 50hz. Better try it with a 240p PC engine title.
Ah that throws a spanner in the works, there is no option on the PAL Wiis to output Neo Geo stuff @ 240p? That means slow down and borders like the old PAL SNES and Megadrve days :-(

PS I have managed to fiddle around with the MX4000 setting and the picture has improved massively..I had to tone the Brillance setting right down (to 14) Colour is really vibrant now and even a little less blurry, these are the following settings I have:

Brillance: 14 Colour: 44 Contrast: 45 Tint: 20

I'm absolutely floored by the picture quality now :-)

Here's some crappy iphone shots, looks better in person!

LOL The man with the Big Beak:

Overkill

Post by Overkill »

"Stop it, Ryo. That guy with the big nose is..." :lol:

Is that xbox? looks much better now, than on my B&O, gonna try your settings on it
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

Overkill wrote:"Stop it, Ryo. That guy with the big nose is..." :lol:

Is that xbox? looks much better now, than on my B&O, gonna try your settings on it
Love it ! They don't make games like they used to, who want's perfectly rendered lighting and 3D of COD when you could have beautifully drawn sprites and Cheesy English? :-)

Yes, this is on an Xbox through RGB Scart outputing 480i (SNES stuff also looking good, trying Megadrive Emu next) !
fagin

Post by fagin »

wilwong1971,
Colour adjustment will have no effect if you're using RGB. ;)

Colour bleed is normal on these types of sets..... don't forget it's only a consumer set-up.

Get a game up that has a black background and adjust the brilliance (have contrast at about 35 when you're doing this) up so you see the raster (hori) lines on the tube and then turn it back a notch to get rid of the raster lines.

You may want to turn the contrast up but you will notice bleed the more you increase the contrast.

Many people think that higher contrast is good, but it unfortunately leads to colour bleed and decreased focus - not good. Look at text (especially on the outter edges of your screen) and see the text spread and the scanlines become less, as you increase the contrast.
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

fagin wrote:wilwong1971,
Colour adjustment will have no effect if you're using RGB. ;)

Colour bleed is normal on these types of sets..... don't forget it's only a consumer set-up.

Get a game up that has a black background and adjust the brilliance (have contrast at about 35 when you're doing this) up so you see the raster (hori) lines on the tube and then turn it back a notch to get rid of the raster lines.

You may want to turn the contrast up but you will notice bleed the more you increase the contrast.

Many people think that higher contrast is good, but it unfortunately leads to colour bleed and decreased focus - not good. Look at text (especially on the outter edges of your screen) and see the text spread and the scanlines become less, as you increase the contrast.
Thanks Fagin,
Doh that would also explain why my CM8833 colour knob did not work in RGB, thought it was broken!

Will give the adjustment a go today, the picture at the moment is very good but if it could be tweaked more even better!

I have read up on Xbox RGB out, unfortunately my early model is rubbish(blur) with RGB out, its the latter Xbox revisions that were better..but man I'm born again CRT lover,forgot how good they are.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

wilwong1971 good to know its looking good. Sorry for the offtopic, but i have xbox it lots of emulators also, but i still don't know how to correct the aspect ratio of that neogeo/arcade emulator. The others emulators (x68000, Megadrive, C.Amiga) have an option for "perfect pixel aspect ratio" that's what im using, and even if something gets a little bit of the screen everything will be fine, meanwhile, that neogeo/arcade emulator don't have that option, and for more i try to adjust it, the image will allways have some kind of "screen tearing" when moving to the right, or left. I have tryed adding the scanline filter in a HD tv just to try to correct it, but even i can correct the vertical height, the horizontal will always be wrong.
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

Overkill wrote:wilwong1971 good to know its looking good. Sorry for the offtopic, but i have xbox it lots of emulators also, but i still don't know how to correct the aspect ratio of that neogeo/arcade emulator. The others emulators (x68000, Megadrive, C.Amiga) have an option for "perfect pixel aspect ratio" that's what im using, and even if something gets a little bit of the screen everything will be fine, meanwhile, that neogeo/arcade emulator don't have that option, and for more i try to adjust it, the image will allways have some kind of "screen tearing" when moving to the right, or left. I have tryed adding the scanline filter in a HD tv just to try to correct it, but even i can correct the vertical height, the horizontal will always be wrong.
Hi Overkill,

What Neogeo emulator do you use? I use Final Burn XXX Pro for CPS1/CPS2/Neo Geo (it has only a manual screen adjust to correct ratio) I have tried a few games (Alien vs Predator, Last Resort ) and have noticed no screen tearing.

Fagin, you CRT Jedi! it was likely the Contrast setting rather than Brillance that was causing the smearing so now trying the settings : Brillance: 28 Colour:46 Contrast: 38 Tint: 20, pucture sharpness improved and colour even better :-) very happy with the picture now:

Will have a crack at the service menu laters!

Wil
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

Overkill wrote:wilwong1971 good to know its looking good. Sorry for the offtopic, but i have xbox it lots of emulators also, but i still don't know how to correct the aspect ratio of that neogeo/arcade emulator. The others emulators (x68000, Megadrive, C.Amiga) have an option for "perfect pixel aspect ratio" that's what im using, and even if something gets a little bit of the screen everything will be fine, meanwhile, that neogeo/arcade emulator don't have that option, and for more i try to adjust it, the image will allways have some kind of "screen tearing" when moving to the right, or left. I have tryed adding the scanline filter in a HD tv just to try to correct it, but even i can correct the vertical height, the horizontal will always be wrong.
Hi Overkill

Sorry I get what you mean now (after reading up on Pixel Perfect/10 x 11) I heard Coinops 5 does pixel perfect settings, will install onto my Xbox and have a play, although I don't notice distortion or tearing at all with my xbox
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

But you can't use any filter on it, if you use bileaner filtering, or other kind of it will camuflage the symptom im talking. The pixel perfect aspect ratio option disables all the filtering and corrects the sizes with no visible "waving" when scrooling from left to right.
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

Overkill wrote:But you can't use any filter on it, if you use bileaner filtering, or other kind of it will camuflage the symptom im talking. The pixel perfect aspect ratio option disables all the filtering and corrects the sizes with no visible "waving" when scrooling from left to right.
Might start this on a seperate topic soon!

I have tried:

Final Burn Legends:
Has Pixel Perfect settings but if I turn off all filtering and scaling it turns into a blurry mess..best look I had was Point filtering and no scaling (I have googled that you could add pixel perfect ini files to CPS1/CPS2 games which I have tried but have no effect

Coinops re-ignite:
Has Perfect Pixel settings, also has perfect 1x 2x 3x scaling but haven't tried those fully yet

all above I get a sharper picture(more akin to a LCD)with black borders either side of the game but get tearing on vertical and horizontal scrolling. At the moment my Final Burn XXX Pro looks the best even though it has Bilinear blurring overall...presume a pure 240p output would be best of both worlds?
wilwong1971

Post by wilwong1971 »

Also bought a BEO 1000 remote from ebay alongside my BEO 4, just in case they break, can't do much without one..as a bonus the BEO 1000 is easy to toggle de-interlace functio (just do MENU>SHIFT 7>STOP)
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Aw come on... I just bid for a mx6000 for 10.- CHF (8 EUR)... And won! And it's in 15 minutes driving range!!!!

:mrgreen:
angryswede

Post by angryswede »

Excellent thread, CRT:s is one new hobby for hair pulling frustration!
I picked up a mx6000 with remote today and of course it didn't work. It seems to have a problem stabilizing the colors, makes a weird buzzing sound and after a while it goes back into stand by.
Tried a snes connected with scart and it gives a very dark picture, I can somewhat see whites but not much more.

So I opened it up and shorted the pins to get to the service menu, after trying a couple of times I got the red to show and was informed that the last error was PF 86. According to the service manual that's 14IC9, the video controller ic on the main board. But with the colors being messed up there's probably also something wrong with the rgb board.
Everything looks visually ok on the boards, no leaking or deformed caps. Only 20 years of dust and grime.

This is as far as I could get diagnosing this. Any of you guys have any recommendations for what's next? The only thing I can think of is to remove all boards and just replace all caps and check everything else for dry/broken solder points.
What would a real technician do? :)
clean gloves, dirty hands.