B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
H6rdc0re

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

Post by H6rdc0re »

Syntax is absolutely correct. There’s this guy on Ebay called fidde_se. He makes custom PC Engine/Turbo Grafx RGB Scart cables. He made me two different ones. One for my single Sony 20L4E PVM and one for my other PVM (also 20L4E) and OSSC combo. That second has a switch for switching between Sync on Composite and Composite Sync (CSYNC). Absolutely wonderful cables. See the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/sch//i.html?_nkw=& ... bcfffe0343
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Thats pretty cool, I semi expected it to use a sync stripper on composite video but it looks like it takes csync straight from the ext port.
3style

Post by 3style »

Thanks for all the info in this topic! After reading all the posts I bought a MX4000 (sw 3.1) in good condition and after a fews days of tweaking I'm really happy with the result as you can see:

First when I hooked up the Dreamcast the image was a little bit washed out with RGB. I've basically read and viewed all the topics and videos on the internet about the MX.
Eventually I cranked both colour and brightness to max in service mode and in normal picture mode adjusted contrast to 62 and brilliance down to 12.

When I finally hooked up the Sega Saturn I was blown away. Really crisp 240P image:

I'm using a RGB scart cable from thefoo.83 on Ebay.
link2rage

Post by link2rage »

Hello, can anyone help with my MX 4000. I can access to Menu. I have Beo 4 remote. When i press menu it switch small lcd screen from tv to light. On the screen of MX 4000 i see the setup, but it will no enter. I think that the only button to work on remote is the 3 row of button (tv, light, sat, vtape...) list, menu exit, volume up down. It's seem that the go button and around doesn't respond to the command. I heard of some Hotel mode and some jumper maybe inside the MX 4000. Any idea how to solve that?
link2rage

Post by link2rage »

I buy another remote beo4, now i have some more function but i don't have in the menu pictures (contrast, brightness...) and sound options, only program list and setup. I read somewhere since it's a old model i need to buy another remote beolink 1000. Will try this.
muppets4

Post by muppets4 »

Hello there,

Lurked a long time and bought a MX8000 yesterday. The picture quality is amazing. My Mister FPGA is awesome on this screen. But my PS2 is giving me troubles. Maybe you can help me?

I am using scart. Settings in PS2 firmware is display set to Full (or 4:3 with same result). The screen is only used for the upper 2/3 part of the screen. The rest is a black border. When I open the menu I can see the picture fill the complete screen. When closing the menu it goes back to 2/3.

Regards,
muppets4
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Sounds like your PS2 SCART connection cable has voltage connected to the pin that tells the TV it is receiving a 16:9 signal. You should be able to override it using an option on the remote. Can’t remember which button. Try googling it. Either that or fix the cable, or get a better one as I think this is a problem with cheap cables.
unehed

Post by unehed »

Lalalala
Last edited by unehed on Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

muppets4 wrote:Hello there,

Lurked a long time and bought a MX8000 yesterday. The picture quality is amazing. My Mister FPGA is awesome on this screen. But my PS2 is giving me troubles. Maybe you can help me?

I am using scart. Settings in PS2 firmware is display set to Full (or 4:3 with same result). The screen is only used for the upper 2/3 part of the screen. The rest is a black border. When I open the menu I can see the picture fill the complete screen. When closing the menu it goes back to 2/3.

Regards,
muppets4
I have the similar thing using a US SNES on my MX4200, you need to change format to 2 on the remote, you have two options 1 and 2 one is 4:3, the other 16:9.

Alternatively you disconnect the cable on pin 8 of your Scart lead.
Fight war not wars
muppets4

Post by muppets4 »

thegreathopper wrote:
muppets4 wrote:Hello there,

Regards,
muppets4
I have the similar thing using a US SNES on my MX4200, you need to change format to 2 on the remote, you have two options 1 and 2 one is 4:3, the other 16:9.

Alternatively you disconnect the cable on pin 8 of your Scart lead.
Thanks. I only had a non official remote and the settings for that were missing. I ordered an original one. It arrived, but I had not time to fiddle with it yet.
damont87

Post by damont87 »

Does anyone have a Beovision 1 or can tell me more about it's retro gaming capabilities because I can barely find any information on the internet about it. Even here, most people seem to talk about the MX series.

The thing is, someone here (about 10 minutes with the car) is selling a Beovision 1 with the Beo4 remote control for around 85€. I know they don't seem to be as good as Sony PVMs/BVMs but those go for 200€ (for the small models) around here usually. And I don't want to spend that kind of money for an old CRT (not for anything smaller than 14" anyway). I would play PS1/2 and SFC with it and wonder if it's worth it or is this model missing something that the MX ones have/are better at?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

I have both the MX and 1. They are pretty much the same TV in different form factors. Work well for retro gaming.
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

I recently bought an MX7000, it's an old one - Software 2.0. I wanted to be able to view the consoles image whilst tweaking the geometry settings. After going through this mega helpful thread and viewing videos by futurematt5 too (thanks for those!) I found the answer regarding setting AV2 to decoder. Except the menus on my MX7000 were different and seems to be missing stuff (due to the older software I guess). I remembered I had the actual printed manual though, so I actually RTFM and here's how I set TV to decoder, just in case someone else comes along trying to figure it out.

Plug console into AV2 and switch it on.
On the remote (beo4 - I don't think it'll make a difference if it's a 1000 though), press...
- TV (if not already on, this will switch the TV on and put it on the TV input)
- Menu
Scroll down to...
- Setup
Then use the right arrows to go down to...
-AV2
Using the Up/Down arrows to select..
- Decoder
- Press GO - this saves this setting

That much pretty much matched what I'd read elsewhere, except I didn't have a Sockets section in the Menu like I'd read.

- Then on the remote, keep pressing List until you get to V.Setup and press GO.
- My first item in the V.Setup options is Tune, so I pressed GO again.
- Press the Green button, this will switch Decoder (Dec on the screen) to ON and will now display the console image :-)
- Keep pressing List, looking at the remote for it to say Store, then press GO.
- It prompts what channel, I was already on CH1 (see earlier) so I left it on this.
- I think at this stage it prompted me to name it too, I went with the name AV2 which made sense.
- Press Go (twice I think it was) to save this and then Exit.

I hope that helps someone else :-)

Out of curiosity - I would like to try the 480i conversion to non-interlaced mode that I saw on some videos, but I'm unsure if Software 2.0 supports it as it's missing the Picture menu that it looks like you have to be in before you press Shift (whilst pointing the remote away from the screen) and then 7 (remote pointing back at the screen). Has anyone got any tips on experimenting with this?

ta
Pete
Leoraider

Post by Leoraider »

I got an MX6000 in mint condition BUT it comes with S.W 2.0! apparently with the BEO4 I cannot config any picture settings! I want just play with contrast and blrightness , still I do not know how or where those option are accessible. On menu I have only two option: "program list" and "setup" there is not a "picture" as reported on MX6000 manual. Have you any advice?
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

Ignore that this video says mx7000 and software 1.1, but this is the shortest video to answer your question

https://youtu.be/9xWQamCN7ow

There’s other tutorials where a switch is the installed to make getting to the menu easier. Look at faginrs500 videos
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

Sorry, misread your question. I think you need to keep pressing LIST to get to V.SETUP, and then you’ll get the options you want.

Note to self - don’t reply when just woken up!
Leoraider

Post by Leoraider »

I still need some clarifications about official remote controller, I received my tvset with BEO4 but on some videos the same tv appear to have another remote controller without the tiny lcd screen I think its a beo link1000, may I know if BEO4 is ok for my tv? (MX6000 28" S.W 2.0)?

You can see exactly my issue by looking at this video, basically I have the tv on the right side and as you can see there isn't the options "picture" on screen menu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9LYa1UY4zk
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

On the beo4, keep pressing the LIST button until on the LCD it says V.SETUP, then press GO (I think - this is from memory as I don’t have my beo4 with me right now). Then you get the option on the TV screen to change some picture options.

If that doesn’t work, I’ll find my manual again and confirm.

Pete
crocodile

Post by crocodile »

Hello guys! Im lucky to have MX 4002 with new SW revision, so I can easy get access to adjustments and menu.
The bad thing was that I didnt notice that the right speaker of my TV is not working. Its only left speaker is working, so I have a mono ahahaha. too bad.
I bought the special cable RCA-B&O link, which take stereo audio signal from the TV , so I can connect the external active speakers directly through rca audio plugs, But I didnt tested this yet, cuz I still dont have speaker system.

the tv picture is great. I use 2 consoles - RGB modded AV famicom and Sega Megadrive (japanese version) console.
and as with many of you guys, I have the same problem with picture geometry. I was trying to correct it as max as I could, but it still not perfect, and this dont work in AV mode. Even if I set console to SCART2 (av2 mode) and set it as decoder, then turn decoder to ON, then go menu- 1+1+OK, the game picture turns BLACK, so I still dont see horizontal and vertical edges((( too bad.
Another problem is that different games on AV famicom have different horizontal resolution I guess. for example I used for correction the image ROCKMAN5 game. And after that I turned On "castlevania 3", and that game was moved to the left already!!! so i should correct it again for the another game. As you understand sega megadrive games have the same thing - it should be corrected anyway again and again. I think the only one thing is just to NOTE all these data on the shit, so its will be easier to restore digits on my menu adjustments (such as HAM/VAM/VsH etc and other.

can you please tell me - why other TVs such as sony trinitrons dont need to be corrected each time? I guess its corrected automatically with the image resolution.? isnt it?
ilgello

Post by ilgello »

Is the mx 3500 a good terminal ? I can choose between an mx 5500 and a 3500, still need to see them "live", I'd rather go for the smaller version if it's decent enough.
flex

Post by flex »

Hi Guys,

I have just recently made a mini review and setup guide video with a load of info on the MX8000...

Check it out!

Nico128

Post by Nico128 »

Hi!

I have some questions. I got two B&W Mx4000
- MX4000 SW 4.5
- MX4000 SW 4.7

- Is there any real improvement between these 2 versions ?

My 4.7 has the second port defect I think... When I connect a composite signal, I have only the audio. When a connect RGB signal, it's all black with some white horizontal lignes.
- Is it a common issue with a caps or a dry joint ?

- Both have a problem with the geometry. But I can't change the settings when the mode is RGB., the menu disappears. Lots of people are complaining about this. Is there any solution ?

I noticed a difference between both TV.
When connecting my switchless Super Famicom (switched 50Hz or 60Hz, same problem) to the TV 4.5 with a composite video cable, the image is black and white.
With the TV 4.7, the image is colored.
What is the problem ? The TV 4.5 works fine with my PAL Gamecube with composite signal but not with my SFC in 50Hz.

Thank you
nam9

Post by nam9 »

So I am looking to add a Subwoofer to my MX8000 setup.

Has anyone tried with a non-B&O woofer before?
I assumed I would only need a DIN5 to phono adapter for the physical connection.
In the manual it states then to choose the speaker setup via Beo4 remote:
Press List until 'Speaker' is displayed, select a speaker setup (1-3) and Exit.
Tried this a couple of times, but no luck...

Any advice?
Eekay

Post by Eekay »

PLIXX HALP!

I am an idot and I screwed up my geometry on my MX6000 (SW 2.0).
I kinda started adjusting values without writing down the settings. Now I'm not sure what to do to recover the situation.

Does anybody have an MX6000 (there is a philips tube in mine) that can post their geometry values?
Perhaps I can at least get back to some kind of default settings.

Look at this disaster!

1up

Post by 1up »

So I'm having a weird problem and I can't find answers anywhere, so I'll try here.

Today I bought a MX6000 (software MX 4.30). It came with an older Beo4 remote as it doesn't have a 'shift' or 'DVD' button. The strange part is when I hook up my PAL NES the picture is Black and White? I use it all the time on my MX4000 and here it's fine in color?

I hook up the NES with RCA Cables (White, Red, Yellow) and a RCA to SCART adapter. I'm only using the Yellow and Red cable as that's the output on the NES.

Can someone explain to me why I don't get color on the MX6000 but do on the MX4000? On both I've used AV1 = V.Tape
Eekay

Post by Eekay »

Eekay wrote:PLIXX HALP!

I kinda started adjusting values without writing down the settings. Now I'm not sure what to do to recover the situation.

Does anybody have an MX6000 (there is a philips tube in mine) that can post their geometry values?

Look at this disaster!

So I managed to sort the geometry pretty well, but I have a problem still. The picture is "bulged" in the center and the squares in my grid are not as wide on the sides as they are in the center. I've tried changing values for trapezoid and parabola values and also the S-correction but it seems they stay narrow on the edges no matter what I do.
Perhaps this is a condensator issue rather than a settings issue and this is the best I can do on this TV set? Anyone have had the same issue?

Link to pic of my grid:
https://empire.eekay.net/index.php/s/jl1fzPtuRDrekec
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Eekay wrote:
Eekay wrote:PLIXX HALP!

Look at this disaster!

So I managed to sort the geometry pretty well, but I have a problem still. The picture is "bulged" in the center and the squares in my grid are not as wide on the sides as they are in the center. I've tried changing values for trapezoid and parabola values and also the S-correction but it seems they stay narrow on the edges no matter what I do.
Perhaps this is a condensator issue rather than a settings issue and this is the best I can do on this TV set? Anyone have had the same issue?

Link to pic of my grid:
https://empire.eekay.net/index.php/s/jl1fzPtuRDrekec
It doesn't look too bad. Your horizontal linearity looks pretty good at least. Fiddling more with the settings will not get your picture any better at any rate.
You could try replacing C100 on PCB 4, which is pretty standard in repairs of this set. C102 to C106 are related to deflection, might want to check/replace those. Also check coil L3 for dry joints. Naturally I only suggest doing this if you are familiar with crt repairs.
While it doesn't hurt to replace caps, I doubt you are going to get a better picture than that though. Might just want to get used to it. No CRT is perfect and in my experience, after a while you really don't notice the imperfections anymore.
calle81

Post by calle81 »

This is insane. I've had a Beovision 1 for a few weeks and wobbly picture with NTSC and perfect picture in PAL. Turned it upside down for a few minutes, tightened all the screws I could find as well. To my disbelief the picture was PERFECT in NTSC after this manoeuvre. Thanks for the tips!
TrendyNinja

Post by TrendyNinja »

Hi guys,

I've just recently won a MX4000 on eBay with a SW version of 4.7. Does anybody know if this allows for (when using RGB) colour adjustments? I've read that this is only possible with the MX4002?

Thanks
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

Fcking finally! Scored a B&O MX8000 here the other day! Will get my hands on it in a few weeks...finally!!!