B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
badwhite40

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

Post by badwhite40 »

Hi!
I have find a beovision 1 25". I dont find if this model is good for 240p 60hz ntsc.
Its like the MX versions?
Thanks
Sid

Post by Sid »

1up wrote:WHen playing PS2 games via RGB in Pal50/60 there's a slight vertical wave effect on text. How do I get rid of that?
it makes the picture look like it's kind of flickering. This doesn't happen when playing SNES or Gamecube?
I just tried setting up a PS2 via RGB (I'm assured that Pirhana is) scart to an MX4200, and am getting a very composite looking signal maybe similar to what you were.

Anyone know what might be happening and if I might need to de-solder or re-solder anything inside the cable or some such? At the moment, s-video through a scart adapter looks significantly better and more stable.
xadox

Post by xadox »

How can the contrast screen been removed on the MX4000?
blizzz wrote:...Use a big flathead screwdriver as a crowbar. Should come off within seconds. You have to target the gap on one of the sides between the glossy and normal plastic. Once you remove one of the sides you can just slide the glass out. Putting it back together is also very easy, just slide the glass back in and the plastic piece should snap back into place...
blizzz wrote:...Some pics of the side piece: pic1 pic2 pic3
Just target that spot and push a bit until it pops out.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Remove the plastic contrast screen with your finger. At the bottom of the plastic screen there is a hole in the middle, firmly pull that and you remove the screen. Easy.
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
xadox

Post by xadox »

It's a glas screen, so it is working like blizzz said.
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

Sorry for the slight offtopic, but Ive been offered a ME6000 for 30€.. Anyone tried the ME series? How well does it hold against MX series?
Looking to buy, working or faulty: Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, Ibara, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Sigh...... Bought a Beo 4 (with a working lcd this time) just to get the Non-Interlace mode happening, but can't manage to get it happening.

I go to PICTURE in the MENU and the screen changes to progressive in appearance (including the game screen behind the menu box), but applying the sequence that futurematt5 suggests I can't get it to remain progressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pws_g1ZF2ic

Unit is an MX 4200. Anyone else get it going on one of those?
nick_arrow

Post by nick_arrow »

Hi everyone!

What is the ultimate Bang & Olufsen CRT? I have heard a lot about the MX 7000 but also about the MX 4000.
I have not heard so much about the MX8000 though.

Which one of this models is the best if you want to play retro games from the late '70s up to the Wii?

Any advice is really helpful!

Thanks!
/Nick
Sid

Post by Sid »

nick_arrow wrote:Hi everyone!

What is the ultimate Bang & Olufsen CRT? I have heard a lot about the MX 7000 but also about the MX 4000.
/Nick
Some of the models were produced over long periods of time, and changed over that time. As far as I know the chassis number is the best thing to go by, the higher the S.W. x.x number on the sticker the better. 1.x being not recommended, 2.x being decent, with 3.x and 4.x being highly recommended as a general rule of thumb.
nick_arrow

Post by nick_arrow »

Sid wrote:
nick_arrow wrote:Hi everyone!

/Nick
Some of the models were produced over long periods of time, and changed over that time. As far as I know the chassis number is the best thing to go by, the higher the S.W. x.x number on the sticker the better. 1.x being not recommended, 2.x being decent, with 3.x and 4.x being highly recommended as a general rule of thumb.
Thanks Sid!

Is it any bigger changes between MX7000 and 4000 except for the size?
Can you enter service mode on the 4000 and can it takes NTSC signal as the MX7000?

Thanks!
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

I just thought of something that might be helpful for other owners of the MX4000 as well. I really like the TV, but on most consoles I have to switch to the AV inputs manually.

1. Set AV2 to decoder in Menu > Setup > Sockets
2. Switch to TV channel 01
3. Set Decoder to On in Menu > Setup > Tuning

I knew this trick allows you to access the service menu while you're in AV mode. Sadly the MX4000 always switches to composite when there's a menu screen up, but at least you can see the console image. But this also allows you to turn the TV on and switch to AV by pressing the power and channel buttons at the bottom of the TV. You can skip pressing a button on the remote this way.
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Is there any difference in picture quality between the MX models. For example would an MX400X and 4200 have the same picture if they had identical firmware versions?

What is the latest firmware version? 4.7?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

I have a question for all you MX4200 owners. When displaying a game, do you notice a constant shaking on the left and right sides of the image?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

That doesn't sound normal. What kind of shaking do you get? Horizontal / Vertical?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

It has got the horizontal shakes.

Only shows up when displaying from the AV ports, when watching TV the picture is solid.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Does it happen only with composite input or also on RGB? There's a bit of horizontal shaking with composite on most TVs when the overall brightness in the line changes. On RGB this effect should be so small that it's no problem.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

All my systems are RGB. Some with composite video sync, some with composite sync. They all exhibit a prominent and constant horizontal shake in the left and right extremities of the picture.

This includes an AV Famicom, Super Nintendo, PC Engine and a SEGA Genesis.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

That doesn't sound normal, but I don't know enough about TVs to take a guess about what's broken in the TV or if it can be fixed.
Sid

Post by Sid »

kamiboy wrote:I have a question for all you MX4200 owners. When displaying a game, do you notice a constant shaking on the left and right sides of the image?
I will look for any signs, even subtle, when I have a chance to run mine next, but I've never noticed anything.

I know that when I'm in the picture menu and it does it's deinterlacing, in the background I get some wiggling through the left and right centre of the screen though. On that, have you managed to get the deinterlace mode to work properly on yours? I've tried the futurematt intructions and can't get it happening beyond the above scenario.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Never tried my hands with the deinterlacing function as all the games that I play on that TV are 240p.

If I remember correctly you need a later era remote to be able to get it to work, which I do not own. But I may be wrong. I can give it a go once I get home.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Cannot get deinterlace mode to work.

I'll have to hunt down a service manual for the MX4200 to see about the proper way to activate it.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

An update on the shaking situation.

A long while back two screws fell out of the back of my unit as I was tipping it to and fro to change SCART cables on the back.

Being the lazy tosser that I am I never bothered to investigate this, I just put the screws aside and went about my business.

Today while having to move the damn thing I thought I might as well see about putting those screws back into their place, and what do you know, that stopped the shaky image.

Turns out those screws were of paramount import as they fasten two parts of the back part together.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Not a problem/solution combo I would have expected, but glad you got it sorted.

I've only tried the deinterlacing with a Beo4, using the SHIFT 7 method. Mostly 240p here as well but with such a unique feature it would be nice at least have access to it.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

I recently transported my MX4200 and after it stopped working. I tried a different power cable in the back and it still doesn't turn on. Now I screwed it open and checked the fuse, and the fuse is okay. Any clue what might be the problem else? My problem is the red powerled doesn't show, basically it doesn't look like it's powering on. Looking at all these components inside, nothing looks out of the ordinary.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Prolly a broken trace.
filevans

Post by filevans »

hello does anyone know if the MS 6000 supports deinterlace and access to the service menu?

it says on beoworld: "Beovision MS6000 was basically an MX 6000, but the bass reflex loudspeakers were replaced by full tone units..."

http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=630

thank you!
Jojkenstein

Post by Jojkenstein »

Hello all retro lovers and B&O fanatics!

I start with a little introduction here just because this is my first post here and as a celebration that I finally broke the new member registration confirmation code! (It says "case INsensitive" while it seems to be the other way around, which I found out on my 25th-ish try).

Just recently I started to play Super Metroid for the first time on VC with my Wii on my Panasonic UT50 plasma. Since the middle of 2013 I have been listening to all kinds of games' pod casts (like IGN and GiantBomb) and this game is something as a Nintendo fan I should not have missed I was told. The picture quality was Super Awful on my set and not at all how I remembered it from the last time I played SNES back in 1993. The concept of retro gaming have been kind of introduced to me by a colleague of mine that is a retro fanatic (and as a side note he built his own NES on FPGA:s and I test played it). I found it odd that he owned several CRT:s as well as two types of arcade cabinets. Clearly I had been missing something, thinking old games WAS fun THEN, but STILL? Well, I own four consoles (NGC, Wii, PS3, 3DS) but I almost never play on them. I guess that is like heresy around here, but clearly there is some interest within me as I am listening to all these pod casts. Maybe I want to go back in time and see what memories will be awaken from playing 20-30 year old games :)

Anyway, I have been sick the last few days and in parallel I've caught the B&O bug after searching for retro gaming CRT:s. I came across this thread and read everything. I have searched the internet for these TV sets and maybe I am crazy but I found a totally new, NEVER used BeoVision MX 4200 21" (w/o remote) for £163 ($247) and bought it! Then I bought a BeoCenter 1 25" for £98 including the Beo4 remote. I am will be acquiring them during this week.

Yep. Did it! Partly out of scarcity, no doubt. What now? I know this is the start but I have no clue to where it might end. I guess getting an RGB cable for my Wii and then buy RGB-modded NES, SNES and N64 are the next steps :)

And then maybe I can figure out if de-interlacing will work on the BeoCenter 1 (which I presume is the same TV as BeoVision 1 with added DVD and Radio features) and give something back to the community, however small.

Oh, as an extra side note, I was called upon by a seller of an ME6000 28" with SW 4.2 (including Beolink 1000). The price is £50. Should I grab a third set too to my little flat of 50 sq m (538 sq f) apartment? :D
Jojkenstein

Post by Jojkenstein »

I promised a follow-up a while ago. I am sad to say I have done other things and when I got time I got hindered by the things described below.

1. I have now connected my softmodded PAL Wii to BeoCenter 1 with an RGB Cable. The biggest problem is (or was?) that the picture has the correct width but not the correct hight. 1/3 of the picture is black (the bottom third). After experimenting with AV connection settings I got the picture (only on AV2) to fill the screen if I set it to EXPANDER. I do not know if this is the correct way to get a full picture because in the tutorials I have only seen that AV1 shall be set to V.TAPE and AV2 to V.AUX.
What is wrong and how can I solve this?

2. I do not know which button that is the MIX button on the Beo4 remote. I saw it in the LCD of the remote via LIST. I added it but could not find it under the LIST button remote LCD menu. How shall I add and then use the MIX button?

3. I tried the MENU -> PICTURE -> SHIFT -> 7 to the the de-interlaced picture while having a PAL Virtual Console Game playing in the background. Nothing happened.
What did I do wrong? Is this because I have not solved question 1 or is it because I must play NTSC titles to get the 240p picture?

I will try on my MX4200 also but right now it is in "sleep mode" because I used the wrong pin code to start the TV. Yes, you heard me, my TV requires a pin code!
However, I can say that a few weeks ago I did a quick test om the MX4200 and I hade the same error as described in question 1.
Using the composite Wii cable the picture is fine.
Jojkenstein

Post by Jojkenstein »

I can immediately add that when I turn off the TV and then turn it on again the picture again is black in the bottom and the picture is squeezed. So you can see the whole picture, but it has a broken aspect ratio (and probably missing scan lines).
I did test this cable on my Panasonic plasma and it showed the picture correctly. My BO:s does not seem to like my RGB signal it seems..
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

On your remote press "Picture" then "1". That will fix the black at the bottom. Because your SCART cables are not providing 12 volts on a certain pin your B&O thinks the picture is 16:9 and squeezes it to have the correct aspect ration on its 4:3 screen. Just change the aspect ration manually using the remote.