B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fagin

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

Post by fagin »

GRUSS wrote:If anyone could kindly give me there opinion on te above settings, I can't make my mind up when playing sonic 2 that the picture looks too 'zoomed in' . It does however look very nice!
Try some more games and you'll probably get slight underscan or overscan issues. Personally I wouldn't worry about it...... just play! :wink:
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Rule n° 1 of CRT gaming: Stop caring and just play. If you can see the game it's fine.
jonnyturbo

Post by jonnyturbo »

I'm accessing it via the service menu. All the necessary numbers are there I just can't get the picture to one flatten out or secondly shift across.
I've fiddled with the numbers for half an hour and not been happy, I even got a test grid up and couldn't stop the picture going badly askew at the bottom.
Cheers.

fagin wrote:
jonnyturbo wrote:Hi, I recently bought a B & O MX4200 (anyone in Cheshire near Wilmslow who wants one, a guy is selling them on ebay and will take £35 and they have the Beo4 remote... will come to that tho)

Anyways it's an ex Hotel model so the controller is gimped can't work out how to get the scanlines using 480i resolution (no shift button or list)
that's not my problem though. I'm using it to run my NeoGeo aes (rgb scart) and first off it's cutting about an inch off the left hand side, second I can't get the geometry right no matter how much I tinker in the menu.
Is it worth opening it up and using the chassis controls to sort out the problem?

This thread has been very helpful so far, thanks.
Are you accessing the SERVICE MENU as opposed to the normal menu? All the facilities to shift the image geometry are only available via the service menu.
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Has anyone in here compared mx models with different firmware or from different years?

I have an MX7000 myself but only with version 2.0 firmware. Im wondering if the picture is any different on the earlier sets than the later ones?

I can live with no service menu (can be enabled by shorting out the 2 pins on the back) but not inferior picture quality. :)
fagin

Post by fagin »

Which service menu options are you adjusting?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

blizzz wrote:Rule n° 1 of CRT gaming: Stop caring and just play. If you can see the game it's fine.
Some people seem to be much more interested in image quality than quality gaming. We get a lot of them in these here forums.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Don't get me wrong old boy. By all means get yourself a quality CRT and a suit of S-Video or RGB cables for your systems according to taste and ability. But there be a fine line right after that, a very fine line indeed, my friend.
fagin

Post by fagin »

You're of course right from a pure game playing perspective, however some of us are quite enthusiastic about quality to the nth degree. Personally for me, it's about knowledge expansion and sharing on a technical level. Perfect discussion for this specific forum. :)
GRUSS

Post by GRUSS »

I've tried a fair few games on the MX4000 now with the adopted settings and it looks fantastic!

When I got my megadrive back in the early 90's I only ever used the RF cable, recently gone onto a RGB scart and now I have a decent CRT as well!

:P
fagin

Post by fagin »

GRUSS wrote:back in the early 90's I only ever used the RF cable
Wash your mouth out, you filthy animal! :mrgreen:
GRUSS

Post by GRUSS »

fagin wrote:
GRUSS wrote:back in the early 90's I only ever used the RF cable
Wash your mouth out, you filthy animal! :mrgreen:

Shocking I know, I was only 9 or 10 at the time though :-)

I've seen the light now though, I'm even going to sub to your channel..
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

We were all fools as young. No kid I knew had even composite cables for their 8/16 bit systems growing up, and that is even though I grew up in SCART country where every decent TV had at least one RGB input.

Of course people just used what came with the system and that meant the old RF box.

Hell, I don't ever even remember seeing SCART cables sold for any system in stores until at least the 32 bit days.

One of these days I should try hooking up mu old NES or Master System via RF just to see the poor state of visual fidelity I was dealing with as young lad.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

blizzz wrote:Rule n° 1 of CRT gaming: Stop caring and just play. If you can see the game it's fine.
This is one of the best & most helpful things I've read on this forum - thanks.
lemonhaze

Post by lemonhaze »

Hello everybody,

I recently bought a MX7000 after coming across this thread and some other posts and I really like it, however I have one small problem. Whenever I go to AV-TP2 (which I added in list through the config) my screen is all pink and purple:

However when I go to TV and first set it to decoder or something else and then switch back to AV-TP2 the image is normal:

It's kind of a pain having to do that switch every time I want to play, has anybody else had this problem?
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

I have been hunting recently a few models of CRT's but I have finally got an MX7000 for 50€. I'll pick it up next wensday. I hope it is a good deal and to have chosen a nice Tv for retrogaming instead of having bought a Sony Trinitron.
GRUSS

Post by GRUSS »

lemonhaze wrote:Hello everybody,

I recently bought a MX7000 after coming across this thread and some other posts and I really like it, however I have one small problem. Whenever I go to AV-TP2 (which I added in list through the config) my screen is all pink and purple:

However when I go to TV and first set it to decoder or something else and then switch back to AV-TP2 the image is normal:

It's kind of a pain having to do that switch every time I want to play, has anybody else had this problem?
What system are you running and how are you connecting it to the set?
lemonhaze

Post by lemonhaze »

GRUSS wrote: What system are you running and how are you connecting it to the set?
It's a PAL SNES hooked up through SCART.
GRUSS

Post by GRUSS »

Scart is in AV1

go into settings and sockets and put socket 1 on V-tape and turn off socket 2.

I'm not in front of my B&O so this could be slightly incorrect.
lemonhaze

Post by lemonhaze »

GRUSS wrote:Scart is in AV1

go into settings and sockets and put socket 1 on V-tape and turn off socket 2.

I'm not in front of my B&O so this could be slightly incorrect.
Doesn't work, it's still purple. The weird thing is that when I open the menu from the TV the screen is normal, but when it goes away the screen goes back to purple.
1up

Post by 1up »

I have a MX6000 and have a few issues.

1. I can't find the thread that describes how to add/remove stuff from the Beo4 remote list menu?
2. WHen playing PS2 games via RGB in Pal50/60 there's a slight vertical wave effect on text. How do I get rid of that?
it makes the picture look like it's kind of flickering. This doesn't happen when playing SNES or Gamecube?
3. On v.tape 2 the picture is shifted about 1,5cm horizonally to the left. Can I adjust this in the service menu just for av2?
NGAES

Post by NGAES »

My MX4000 has developed a pin cushion problem that can't be adjusted. Guess it's a dry cap or two, but which ones should I change?
nick_arrow

Post by nick_arrow »

Hi everyone!

I bought a Bang & Olufsen MX 7000 this year and it was meant for retro gaming!

This is not a big problem BUT it's kind of bother me.

When I start a console the right screen border is more visible than the border on the
left. That means in some games some textures or whatever disappears.
And that's my question. Is this common, can you do something about it?
I have tried both NTSC and PAL consoles and the right border shows up the same way.
Is there a way I can tweak this? I have a beo4 remote as well but as far as I know,
there is no such settings. Why???
I saw futurematt5 film about entering the service mode on a MX 7000 BUT there is not
possible for me to enter this service mode because I got MX 7000 model 2.1 or something.

Could this be the way to adjust my screen problem?

Many thanks!!

/Niklas
dxtr

Post by dxtr »

Might as well try here.

Just bought myself an MX4000. Already own an MX7000 which is great. But having some issues with this one. It might be that its broken to begin with.

First I didn't get V-tape to work, but messed around in the MENU where you had to activate it.

Second, I got picture of the game. But it's Black and White. Plugged in Cable/TV in the same input (AV). First it was Black and White. But became color after switching back and forth TV and V-Tape.

Third, there is no sound. Ive checked the cables. Volumes. Tried a different source. I do however hear sound if I plug in my earphones in the front.

Fourth, Software 1.1 meaning there is no Service Menu.

So. To sum up.
Doesnt it support NTSC signals?
Is there someway to get the sound to work or are the speakers busted?
Should I throw it in the junk?
Sid

Post by Sid »

@futurematt5, or even anyone else less obsessed..... I have an MX 4200 and a Beo4 with a buggered up lcd. What are my chances of being able to get the de-interlacing happening while operating "blind" with the remote? I have no idea how the remote has been programmed by the previous owner.

I don't know if the remote can be reset and then have the shift function programmed via a certain number of up/down/left/right presses? I think I've seen a "mix" function mentioned in specific reference to the 4200 as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Milspex

Post by Milspex »

Get a replacement lcd or open it up and clean

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beo-4-B-O-Bang- ... 2c69e45b55
Sid

Post by Sid »

Thanks for the response. I had checked out the replacement lcd but I think I'll just keep an eye out for a good deal on a complete remote if I cannot get mine to do the job. The problem with buying old stuff really cheap is that one tends to become "as tight as a fish's..... " with subsequent potential purchases.
Cogwheels

Post by Cogwheels »

Hi all! Sorry for dragging this thread up again but I'd really appreciate some guidance

Today I purchased an MX4000. The picture seems pretty good but is shifted over to the right, leaving a noticeable blue bar on the right of the screen.

I believe this requires changes to the geometry via the service menu? Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get to it.

I checked the software of my tv and it's 2.0... The remote that came with it is the one without the led screen. Does this mean I can't change the screen positioning at all? Or that I need the better remote or that I need to open the tv up and do something? I'm not technical at all so any help would be appreciated
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Sorry for the late reply, posts from new users don't show up immediately and are easy to overlook.

Do you mean it is shifted to the left? That would be the expected shift for RGB sources. To fix this you need access to the service menu. I don't remember the details, but I think you can access the menu on any TV. For some you might have to add a physical switch to the back of the TV.

fagin talked about it in one of his videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Faginrs500 ... ry=my+4000
xadox

Post by xadox »

I bought me also a MX7000 (SW2.0). This was my first good CRT where I hooked on my PAL 1 Chipper SNES w/ RGB via SCART.
I was blowen away by the picture quality compared to an average CRT.

Somehow the the picture is upset. The right part is not maxed to the right. Is this depending on the SCART cable or do I have to strech the whole picture to the right via the service menu?