shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 3:07 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:57 am 

Hello,
Thought I'd try and see if anyone here would have any idea of what could be the culprit of this type of horizontal shadows
showing up with white areas. Aside from this, the set is perfectly fine.
(MX4000 sw 4.7)

Grateful for any directions or ideas.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:30 pm 

Usually the culprit is lack of proper isolation in video cables.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:07 pm 

Thanks for the reply, kamiboy.

The dark streaking goes for menus in the tv as well even when not using AV.
It also has these bulging geometry issues, non-fixable with the service menu or adjustments to the yoke.

Maybe I'll just throw it away and get a good upscaler. Everyone's hoarded all the good monitors by now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:28 pm 

I am pretty satisfied with the MX4200 and Beovisio 1 B&O CRT’s that I own. I think they too exhibit something similar, but not to the same extent. The contrast andvor brightness settings might influence the severity of the effect. I guess it all comes down to how anal one is when it comes to picture quality.

You are right though in that most of the good CRT stock have already been hoarded by enthusiasts. Alas, CRT alternatives have problems of their own. Retro gaming is an exercise in choosing which cons one most prefers to have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:33 pm 

Hi Guys! Sorry to resurect an old thread but I just picked up an MX7000 for next to nothing but it wont currently switch on and I see no red standby light at all. It has a 2 pin Euro plug on the end of the cable which I have plugged into an adapter (I am in the UK so a 3 pin adapter) and the TV is rated for 240V AC.

I assume the fuse would be a good place to start, does anyone have any experiences of the MX range for things I could look out for?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:56 am 

I just got hold of a nice condition MX6000, had the back off to give it a clean and dust and adjust the focus. I’ve been through the service menus but other than using magnetic strips how can I adjust convergence on these sets?

It doesn’t have the options like my old BVM did. 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:59 am 

Initial-d wrote:
I just got hold of a nice condition MX6000, had the back off to give it a clean and dust and adjust the focus. I’ve been through the service menus but other than using magnetic strips how can I adjust convergence on these sets?

No you can't adjust convergence in any way. Even the static convergence (center of screen) is impossible because Philips tubes don't have adjustable rings on the neck. Convergence strips are never used on these tubes either. It's possible that the convergence while not perfect is within tolerance, i.e. it was like that from the beginning and was deemed OK at the CRT factory, and that you are picky about it due to your previous experience with the BVM. If you can't adjust to it I'd suggest you get a Sony PC monitor like CPD-E500E which costs next to nothing and allows to adjust convergence through OSD. Coupled with a OSSC should give a picture pretty much identical to that of a BVM with 15KHz sources.

- Anonymous on Facebook

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:22 am 

Do anyone know if the LX2500 and LX2800 models supports NTSC/RGB through the SCART input?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:59 pm 

MKL wrote:
Initial-d wrote:

No you can't adjust convergence in any way. Even the static convergence (center of screen) is impossible because Philips tubes don't have adjustable rings on the neck. Convergence strips are never used on these tubes either. It's possible that the convergence while not perfect is within tolerance, i.e. it was like that from the beginning and was deemed OK at the CRT factory, and that you are picky about it due to your previous experience with the BVM. If you can't adjust to it I'd suggest you get a Sony PC monitor like CPD-E500E which costs next to nothing and allows to adjust convergence through OSD. Coupled with a OSSC should give a picture pretty much identical to that of a BVM with 15KHz sources.

Thanks for the in-depth reply and suggestion, it’s me just being picky to be fair. As much as I loved the BVM it was too perfect!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:36 pm 

This Beovision MX has more hours ( 11-17 years ) than any PVM and BVM ( vs 40.000 hours ). What so great with Beovision? How many scanlines does it have?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 am 

I am currently trying to resurrect an MX7000 from the dead.... I have succeeded in replacing a faulty transistor and some caps and the TV now turns on, however it will now only stay on for a few minutes before returning to standby mode. I have started another thread about it here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63634

Sorry for the duplicate post but I am soooo close to getting this thing going again, I really need some help on what might still be wrong and I can see there are some really clued up guys on this thread regarding these TV's.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi.......

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:59 pm 

Is there any way to factory reset the geometry values ​​of a mx 7000? Thank you

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:15 pm 

Theboy996 wrote:
Is there any way to factory reset the geometry values ​​of a mx 7000? Thank you

Nope there never is in any TV even current gen TV technology. Service menu’s are for power users only. The only way to fix problems with geometry is to properly change the settings in the service menu. Some geometry issues can only be fixed with special magnets and/or capacitor replacement.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 pm 

Finally got myself a working MX7000 :D Lovely set! well impressed with those scanlines and the sound... so bassssyy!

One small niggle is I have noticed that on some games some horizontal platforms can sort of ghost out slightly across the screen, you have to be looking quite hard to notice them but would be nice to know what might cause this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:21 pm 

<
Psy-Q wrote:
Does anyone have a clue how to get to the service menu in the MX 3500? I opened up the back but I couldn't find any service jumper, <certainly not in the location the MX4000 has its jumper.
<
<Also, how do I get this thing to save picture settings (brilliance, color...)? I've tried "STORE" and "S.STORE" after setting everything up, the next time I <start the TV, it has forgotten about it.

MX3500 service menu is accessible from service mode plug P48 on PCB5. Its located right from the av1 connector. Be careful when the chassis is open.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:12 pm 

hello i am new in this forum i try ed to create the topic but it didn't show up :) i read the rules i didnt break any rules at all :) but this topic its a little bit similar so i will ask my question here :)
I am a retro-gamer and finally decided to buy a crt tv. i am not gonna use crt for anything else only the video games. and the consoles winch i am going to use is 16-64bit era everything what from 128bit its completely fine for my to use on modern tv :)
so iam choosing between mx7000 and mx8000.
can some one tell my the biggest differences between these tvs ? the price its the same and i am able to find both of them easy and cheap :)
i can find information about mx7000 but i cant find anything about mx8000 and i read in this forum someone mentioned what mx8000 does nt have scandilines. if its true this is the big minus for me.
so maybie some one here had both off them and can help me to choose the correct one for my need :)
thanks for your attention :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:32 pm 

Not a whole lot of discussion on the old, old B&Os.

I just picked up a MX2000 Type 3116 with remote. Manufacturing year is 1985-1988. Connected the Saturn to it. Picture quality was OK, however, the picture was shifted to the left and top. Pretty much 1/4 of the screen was out of view. That can't do, so I ripped open the casing.

https://i.imgur.com/QaQX5Lj.jpg

Holy shit, all of the picture controls are super accessible right in front of you. It's like an arcade monitor.

Took out the cordless drill and made some holes to the casing and I now have this:

https://i.imgur.com/iMQ7xU9.jpg

Admittedly, could have been neater, but it serves its purpose. Hopefully David Lewis won't come to haunt me :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:02 pm 

It's a design that was used by more than one manufacturer (German ones especially) in those years.

https://i.imgur.com/caV1wOr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Bk3i68i.jpg :lol:

- Anonymous on Facebook

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:58 am 

Seeing your second pic makes my effort look terrible. If I had a 3D printer I would make a long rectangular cut and print a cover for it.

Anyway, it's the first time I've seen one like that. Usually the pots are everywhere on the chassis, mostly in super awkward places. Plus it has both side pincushion and parallelogram adjustments. I consider those rare.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:11 pm 

nem wrote:
Anyway, it's the first time I've seen one like that. Usually the pots are everywhere on the chassis, mostly in super awkward places.

Yes, it's unusual. Here's another example (Italian set made by Seleco):

https://i.imgur.com/8ml1RtK.jpg

nem wrote:
Plus it has both side pincushion and parallelogram adjustments. I consider those rare.

My pics are of a 17" model where EW correction is not necessary. Yours is a bigger set with a 110° tube so they are necessary.

- Anonymous on Facebook

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:11 am 

Hi everyone

I have a maddening problem with my MX 4200 and my PAL Saturn. I am connecting the machine to my TV using a Csync Scart cable (bought from a respected producer on eBay), but the image is shifted to the left, and after some fiddling, I have discovered that it can't be fixed using the service menu. When I shift the image to the right, it becomes apparent that about 5% of the left side of the image is completely missing, not just hidden.

I have tried two different Saturn machines, but they both exhibit this problem. I have another Scart cable that came with the second machine, and it seems to reveal a little more of the image, so perhaps there is a problem with my main cable. The latter works fine on my HDTV though. I tried it on my MX 1500 as well, and the image is still shifted to the left, but that system doesn't have any service menu, so I can't really tell of the problem is the same.

I tried hooking up my Mega Drive to the same port using another Csync cable, and the image is shifted a little to the left on that as well, but for some reason I can just move it to the right, and nothing appears to be cut off entirely. Same thing with my GameCube.

This problem is driving me a little crazy, does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:05 pm 

Well, it appears that I have somehow gotten hold of two faulty RGB cables. They both display the same issue on my flatscreen TV as well, and it happens on both of my machines. I will try and find a better cable and comment on the results here, in case anyone else experiences this problem in the future.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19