Does the JVC X'EYE have a Z80 in it??....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

Does the JVC X'EYE have a Z80 in it??....

Post by dave4shmups »

I have a Genny Model 1 now, but I would eventually like to upgrade to an X'EYE. Obviously you can't fit a Power Base Converter on an X'EYE, but I was thinking about using one of these:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... ts_id=3214&

Of course this wouldn't work if the X'EYE doesn't have a Z80, so that's why I'm asking.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

None of those pages tells me whether or not the X'EYE has a Z80. Besides which, if you know, you could've just told me without the sarcasm.
Farewell to hollow words
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Is NO ONE willing to answer this?? Honestly, NONE of those websites told me anything! :?
Farewell to hollow words
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

Google USENET archive is your friend.

Just kidding. :) Anyways, many of those USENET articles mention the Power Base Converter working with the X'Eye, so I'd feel reasonably comfortable saying it's compatible.
The Power Base converter works with works with the MD (Genesis,)
MD2, WonderMega (X-Eye,) WonderMega2, Multimega (CDX), MegaJet,
Teradrive, and Mega LD.

It doesn't work with the Nomad and MegaCD-Radio-Cassette "boombox."
And as noted earlier in this thread, it won't work on the Genesis3
either.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thanks Blue Lander, I really appreciate it!! :D
Farewell to hollow words
FRO

Post by FRO »

Speaking of the JVC X`EYE, I purchased one about 4 years ago as a collector piece (paid a small fortune for it, too), but the CD-ROM drive does not work. It sounds as though it's spinning up, but CDs don't boot. The catrridge slot works, however. Does anyone know how I could potentially repair my X`EYE unit so it works again or at least what to look for?
PC Engine Fan X!

The stripped down Genesis 3 doesn't work with the following:

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I have a Genesis 3 console and it doesn't work with the 1st party Sega produced Genesis cartridge of Virtua Racing nor can you use a Sega Genesis Game Genie cheat device on it.

However, if you use a Genesis 2 stereo A/V cable on a Genesis 3, you'll find out that the RCA composite video output works and the RCA Right Audio cable portion works but the RCA Left audio is virtually silent. You'd think that the Genesis 3 would at least be a true stereo output game system like it's older siblings like the original Genesis & Genesis 2 consoles.

At the very least, the Genesis 3 (with some proper modding) can output very nicely in S-Video (or S-VHS) and even in Japanese RGB (or Euro Scart for that matter). Just head on to http://www.gamesx.com for more Genesis 3 mods.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

p.s. -- I recall a fellow shmupper on the old Shmups.com forum was attempting to mod his Genesis 3 to output to JAMMA setup before the old forum went down for the last time. What ever happened to that cool project?
kemical

Post by kemical »

wait, is the jvc the genesis 3? (*edit, nevermind.. its not)
I'm thinking of getting a broken one if I can find one.. I'd like to hopefully use the existing circuit for converting a jamma rgb signal into s-video... (because of the sony chip)
I'm hoping that if I'm able to find out where all the trace things are going I could possibly cut out the area I need and wire it up. :x (unless its multilayered)
PC Engine Fan X!

Both versions of the Genesis 3 are single layer PCB...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

kemical wrote:wait, is the jvc the genesis 3? (*edit, nevermind.. its not)
I'm thinking of getting a broken one if I can find one.. I'd like to hopefully use the existing circuit for converting a jamma rgb signal into s-video... (because of the sony chip)
I'm hoping that if I'm able to find out where all the trace things are going I could possibly cut out the area I need and wire it up. :x (unless its multilayered)
Could a Genesis 3 be a JVC X'Eye? Maybe if you close your eyes and pretend, then yes it could be.

I have a second revision produced Genesis 3 and took it apart to see how it was produced. Actually, both iterations of the Genesis 3 are single layer PCBs (with the second revision PCB being manufactured in Korea). Yes, the Genesis 3 has the much desired Sony video-output chip that outputs in both RGB & S-Video signals.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~