Must find tiny USB gamepads for notebook gaming...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
chimpp

Must find tiny USB gamepads for notebook gaming...

Post by chimpp »

Are there any famicom- or master system-style USB gamepads...preferably with auto-fire? I'd like to pack one with my laptop to play emulators while on the go. Seems like all the current gamepads have those ugly PSX-inspired handgrips that aren't exactly easy to fit inside a laptop bag.

Thanks!
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

You might be able to get away with using a PS2-> USB convertor along with a MadCatz RetroCon controller.
it290

Post by it290 »

A little on the pricey side, but these guys have a nice selection:

http://www.sealiecomputing.com/retrozone/index.html

edit - this one looks good too, but it doesn't look like anywhere in the US sells it:

http://www.genius.ru/Product.aspx?Produ ... &archive=0
chimpp

Post by chimpp »

Thanks for the suggestions! The Russian gamepad looks really slick...but I also like the idea of using the MadCatz RetroCon because it has all the buttons to play my PS1 games on the road. However, the analog sticks might get broken during transport with my laptop. Perhaps the best thing for me to do is to get a Genesis-to-USB adaptor from "Retrozone" (or some other place if I can find a cheaper adapter) and buy a Genesis 6-button controller "S" on eBay for a couple of bucks. For now, I've been stuffing a gigantic "Gamer's Force" control pad (bought it at Best Buy). It's clunky and ugly like all the other typical dual-analog stick control pads but it's got rapid-fire and programmable buttons. One other complaint about it is that its buttons are kinda reversed--it has a 6-button layout like the Saturn controller, but the ABC and XYZ buttons are reversed: the ABC buttons are on top and the XYZ is on the bottom. Ahhh...the price I pay for rapid-fire.
lmn4096

Post by lmn4096 »

here is a nice usb pad for laptop...

http://www.akihabaranews.com/news_9742.html :D
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

while not quite as small as a NES pad, the Sega Saturn pad is not only compact, but extremely responsive. It is the best PC gamepad I've ever owned. It's a bit on the pricey side, but it comes in pink, white, black, gray, metallic blue, champagne gold, and an all white pad that seems to be sold out everywhere.
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
chimpp

Post by chimpp »

That's what I was looking for, lmn4096! I though I have seen this on insertcredit.com before but haven't been able to find it on the website archives anymore. Now I need to find a place that sells this "Pocket Gamepad" cheaper than at geekstuff4u.com. Otherwise, I'm really liking the Saturn USB gamepads.

Many thanks to all of you for your help!