DDP DOJ White label stuck in test mode! Help!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maxlords

DDP DOJ White label stuck in test mode! Help!

Post by maxlords »

So my DDPDOJ is stuck in test mode. I exit, it reboots and goes back into test mode. My g/f's 1 year old was hitting random buttons on the cab while it was running, and I have NO idea what he did but I can't seem to fix it. Any ideas guys? Any help at all would be VERY appreciated!

Thanks!

(moved thread to hardware subforum /mod)
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
moh

Re: DDP DOJ White label stuck in test mode! Help!

Post by moh »

amazing what babies can manage to do, huh?
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

THe input menu has a mark next to test mode but I have no idea how to clear it. Any help would be vastly appreciated....don't want to have a $500 paperweight :P
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Dipswitch?
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

Soft dip. All the hard dips are set to default. It's some sort of sortware issue. There's no battery on the board and I can't find a reset. The default setting didn't clear it. I'm not sure what else to try, but chances are he held some sort of combination of buttons down while the game was either running or in demo mode. There's a "/" next to the Test mode in one play in the Input menu and I can't seem to clear it.

Not sure what else to try. Smashing it with a hammer maybe? :P
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

If there is no battery then there should be no way to keep the settings.
Power down and disconnect the PCB from the loom and wait for a while, then power it back up again.

Sometimes the idiot-simple solutions actually work...
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
el chuddo

Post by el chuddo »

Sometimes when there is not quite enough power to run the game, the test menu will still show up. Use a multimeter to make sure you have enough power to your board. Also, make sure that the battery on the board didn't leak acid. Or, if it has been removed already, make sure that no corrosive material was left after removal, even if it was removed long ago. If the adjustment on your psu in your cab was not changed, try your pcb in a different cab to see if it plays normal. Try another pcb in your cab if possible. Sometimes the issue is in the cab, sometimes the board. Sometimes, if a SIMM becomes loose from handling on a cps 3 board, it sits in test mode. I don't know what happens if the DOJ roms come loose, but I have seen some roms that don't always stay in so good. be sure the 2 roms are seated on your board. Without any more knowledge of the situation, this is all I know. If I think of something, or you list more details, I will be sure to post any help I can.
WarLord wrote:You're right, I stop here too, I don't know why I'm searching, I have to fight with people who haven't been at toilets today.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

If the PSU is running at the right values, try flicking the little switch that's all alone as it resets the NVRAM. You want to have the PCB powered off though. It's a shame that the DOJ PCB's have so many issues, I'd love to own one one day.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
rancor

Post by rancor »

I had another board that was having this exact problem. Every time I would power on, it would go to the test menu. Reboot, test menu. I don't see how a child would have anything to do with this, but it was a grounding issue with pin #15. Zillion-to-one chance that's your problem, but it worked for me. :?
emphatic wrote:It's a shame that the DOJ PCB's have so many issues, I'd love to own one one day.
Get the PGM cart. :wink:
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

When you say that under input test mode is always activated, it makes me thing that one of the input line TTLs might have gone bad. If this is teh case, it was just plain bad luck and not an input issue.

So my question is, is the Test button marked as pressed under the input?

If so based in my previous experience; You might have incorrect voltages as earlier pointed out. This happened to me when the 12V line had a cable that made a dodgy connection.

I traced the 3rd button line all the way to be custom chips and it was marked as pressed, I imagined it was a broken trace or a faulty component. None of that, it was the 12v line all along.
safetyboy

Post by safetyboy »

:thread hijack sorry :shock:

I'm looking at changing the battery on my PCB

http://ie.farnell.com/varta/55802303013 ... dp/1674497

would that work, also do you have to change it while powered on?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Good advice by Artemio, check the test setting to see if the button is held down. Could be button/gnd cab issue or voltage issue.
safetyboy wrote::thread hijack sorry :shock:

If you have the standard white label PCB, there is no need for a battery unless you want to have freeplay settings saved. If you have an original Black Label PCB then you need to change the battery with the PCB powered on (this is tricky since its easy to accidentally ground the connection and kill your BL).
safetyboy

Post by safetyboy »

Dave_K. wrote:Good advice by Artemio, check the test setting to see if the button is held down. Could be button/gnd cab issue or voltage issue.
safetyboy wrote::thread hijack sorry :shock:

If you have the standard white label PCB, there is no need for a battery unless you want to have freeplay settings saved. If you have an original Black Label PCB then you need to change the battery with the PCB powered on (this is tricky since its easy to accidentally ground the connection and kill your BL).
Cool I have the white Label but am planning on burning BL rom. cheers
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

With the DOJ WL to BL conversion eprom, you can go two ways about it:

1.) By using the non-saving DOJ BL conversion eprom and not using the Varta backup battery on a DOJ PCB setup, you won't be able to save your high scores nor high score initials.

2.) By using the the high score saving DOJ BL conversion eprom + Varta backup battery installed, you'll be able to save your high scores & high score initials to the NVRAM...if the backup battery goes kaput, then you can kiss them scores and initials goodbye.

I've had success going with the above listed option #2. On the average, such a Varta battery (on a DDP-DOJ WL PCB) will last about 5-6 years or thereabouts. Of course, your Varta battery mileage/lifespan will vary.

Protip: It's always a good idea to place a sticker with Varta battery replacement date info for your own reference & peace of mind.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
system11

Post by system11 »

I hate to even ask this, but ...

You have checked the test button isn't on haven't you? Any decent cab has it as an actual switch, not a plain pushbutton.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

Ok, sorry for the delayed response...other things have been hectic.

That was the exact screen I had, Artemio. That being said, I unplugged the board, let it sit for two days, and when I plugged it back in it worked fine. I have NO idea what caused it to lock into test mode and have never had this issue before on the game. I REALLY appreciate all the advice guys! And I'm also planning to get BL ROMs for my White Label board soonish, so that info was great too!
Shuurin

Post by Shuurin »

Hate to necro an old thread but my DOJ board is having this same issue and I've done some of the ideas above already such as unplugging and leaving it alone for a few days and plugging it back in only to have the issue persist. The input screen shows "test" is always being pressed and I've checked it in multiple cabs where the issue persists. My espgaluda board runs just fine in the same cabs, therefore I feel it isn't a cabinet issue but something on the board. I checked and made sure both roms are properly seated. The battery was removed long ago and there was no acid leak to the board. 5v and 12v checked out to be fine. Bit out of my depth on how to test for Rancor's suggestion of "grounding issue with pin #15" as I don't know if this refers to the jamma edge or a leg where the roms are seated. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
rancor

Post by rancor »

Shuurin wrote:Bit out of my depth on how to test for Rancor's suggestion of "grounding issue with pin #15" as I don't know if this refers to the jamma edge or a leg where the roms are seated.
I'm amazed that I remember this, but it was JAMMA pin #15. I had just gotten my Egret from its previous owner, and they had just not bothered to wire up several of the ground edges for some reason. Some games worked, but DOJ didn't. Hope this helps.