SNES/Famicon PCB Revisions and RGB Video

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Crafty+Mech

Re: SNES/Famicon PCB Revisions and RGB Video

Post by Crafty+Mech »

I'm really late to the party, but I recently dug my old SNS-001 out of the closet. Aside from being a wonderful shade of yellow-beige, it still works great.

I pulled the signals I needed off the AV connector on the pcb, and routed the wire bundle out the back so I could terminate it in a .156 header for a 19" std res arcade monitor. Solid picture, but I will need to boost the rgb signal as has been previously mentioned.

Played some Parodius Da! tonight in glorious rgb :)
Shining

Post by Shining »

SNES_is_the_Best wrote:If anyone is interested in learning more about the 1CHIP/Mini, if its the best, or worst SNES revision, I compiled a list of well documented facts for helping them out.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 52&t=46303

Hope it helps
Do you have any pics of the Glitches in Demon's Crest? Is it ever present or just in some areas of the game?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

I tried Demon's Crest and Aladdin yesterday. The glitches are in the first line on top of the screen. It's just some garbled pixels.
Shining

Post by Shining »

In other words, it doesn't make the game unplayable? I just want to be sure before shelling out money on this gem.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Shining wrote:In other words, it doesn't make the game unplayable? I just want to be sure before shelling out money on this gem.
At least not on the first level. I haven't played more on the 1CHIP yet. But I would be surprised if it got worse over time.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Yeah, I noticed the Demon's Crest stuff right off the bat. It looks like white lines of pixels at the top of the screen.

I thought it was normal, as I've seen that kind of thing on some Genesis games.

I guess you'd have to ask someone who has played through the whole thing.

If it doesn't get worse than that, it's certainly playable. It's up at the top, and not really in the screen. It's a lot better, than say, all that weird stuff at the right side of the screen on some Capcom NES games. No comparison really. And that's not a glitch.
jessiewonka

Post by jessiewonka »

I just picked up a 1CHIP-01 and 1CHIP-03 (and briefly had a 1CHIP-02 but it died on first power up), and I've been testing them out tonight. Btw, who do I contact about adding their serials to the doc? So the setup is:

SNES > scart cable > Shinybow scart switch > retro_console_accessories mini adapter with sync stripper > XRGB-mini > plasma

They look great, but I did notice what I assume are sync issues in a couple games: Yoshi's Island (intro only) and Tales of Phantasia (fight sequences). This is happening on both 1CHIP models but not on a SNS-CPU-RGB-01 (which btw looks pretty good for a non 1CHIP). I was only able to stabilize it by changing Visual/Sync Level from 9 to 30. Leaving it on 30 seems to have no negative effect through other portions of those games, or the few others I tested.

I saw this mentioned to some degree a couple pages back, but I'm not sure I follow what exactly is happening. I'm just happy that this seems easily remedied, though I do wish the mini would get some custom profiles going on.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

jessiewonka wrote:I just picked up a 1CHIP-01 and 1CHIP-03 (and briefly had a 1CHIP-02 but it died on first power up), and I've been testing them out tonight. Btw, who do I contact about adding their serials to the doc?
Contact user darthcloud.
jessiewonka wrote:SNES > scart cable > Shinybow scart switch > retro_console_accessories mini adapter with sync stripper > XRGB-mini > plasma

They look great, but I did notice what I assume are sync issues in a couple games: Yoshi's Island (intro only) and Tales of Phantasia (fight sequences). This is happening on both 1CHIP models but not on a SNS-CPU-RGB-01 (which btw looks pretty good for a non 1CHIP). I was only able to stabilize it by changing Visual/Sync Level from 9 to 30. Leaving it on 30 seems to have no negative effect through other portions of those games, or the few others I tested.

I saw this mentioned to some degree a couple pages back, but I'm not sure I follow what exactly is happening. I'm just happy that this seems easily remedied, though I do wish the mini would get some custom profiles going on.
The SCART cable, switch, and/or sync stripper is causing the issue, as a direct connection of RGBS or RGBCv from the SNES to the mini works perfectly with a default sync level of 9.
jessiewonka

Post by jessiewonka »

RGB32E wrote:
jessiewonka wrote:I just picked up a 1CHIP-01 and 1CHIP-03 (and briefly had a 1CHIP-02 but it died on first power up), and I've been testing them out tonight. Btw, who do I contact about adding their serials to the doc?
Contact user darthcloud.
jessiewonka wrote:SNES > scart cable > Shinybow scart switch > retro_console_accessories mini adapter with sync stripper > XRGB-mini > plasma

The SCART cable, switch, and/or sync stripper is causing the issue, as a direct connection of RGBS or RGBCv from the SNES to the mini works perfectly with a default sync level of 9.
Yeah think that sync stripper may be the issue, thanks for the response.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

So does the SNES MIni RGB amp chip mod have any advantages over the standard 3 wire RGB mod?
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

I wanted to send info for the google doc but it looks like user darthcloud hasn't logged in for over a year. My SFC is right on the edge of a revision it seems.

Serial #: S25200413
SNS-CPU-1CHIP-02
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

lettuce wrote:So does the SNES MIni RGB amp chip mod have any advantages over the standard 3 wire RGB mod?
As I understand it, only if your Mini exhibits the vertical line issue.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

lettuce wrote:So does the SNES MIni RGB amp chip mod have any advantages over the standard 3 wire RGB mod?
I have an opinion about that...and please keep in mind this is my opinion, not "fact": If I'm going to mod a SNES Mini, or a rare console like the 1CHIP, I'd rather add brand new components to it, instead of using the existing, aging components that could potentially effect output quality. Also, people on the Assemblergames forums have gone through a lot of trouble measuring the 1CHIP & Mini's output signal with a THS7314 and have provided detailed info on how to make the output pretty much flawless. Plus, I have seen the amp bypass fix the white line and improve video quality. There are more specific fixes for the white line and if that's the only problem with your system, maybe look into that...but I've yet to personally see a system exhibit the white line after the amp bypass. Also, DIY'ers can build the THS7314 circuit pretty cheaply, so taking all that into consideration, that's why I recommend the bypass.

I know some people disagree with me, but I just wanted to share my thoughts.
Chocograph

Post by Chocograph »

Does the amp clean up image noise at all?
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Chocograph wrote:Does the amp clean up image noise at all?
The only time I've had a problem with SNES image noise is when I used cheap RGB cables from Play-Asia. I'm not sure what you mean by "noise", but if it's cable or display related, then the amp won't change that.
Chocograph

Post by Chocograph »

retrorgb wrote:
Chocograph wrote:Does the amp clean up image noise at all?
The only time I've had a problem with SNES image noise is when I used cheap RGB cables from Play-Asia. I'm not sure what you mean by "noise", but if it's cable or display related, then the amp won't change that.
Digital Noise like the vertical bar. I removed it with the two capacitors but there's still some faint noise in dark blue areas if I don't use digital noise filtering on the TV. I suppose I'd have to filter that by adding more capacitors elsewhere on the board.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

I'd be interested to see if the amp bypass fixes that. If you end up testing it, please post your results.
FBX

Post by FBX »

To elaborate on Demon's Crest for the 1CHIP line:

The garbage on the top scanline randomly shows up from time to time, but it doesn't otherwise affect the gameplay. If you use my 5x profiles for SNES at 1080p, you won't even be able to see the issue.
Chocograph

Post by Chocograph »

retrorgb wrote:I'd be interested to see if the amp bypass fixes that. If you end up testing it, please post your results.
I'd like to know myself so I'm hoping someone will check it one day. Another question - Is it normal to see a slight color degration when switching from 50 to 60 hz on a pal 1chip? I noticed it on my CRT today. The colors got more pale. Switching to back to 50 hz took a second and then the stronger colors came back. Tried on DKC2. The difference was minor...
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

Looks like my SFC 1CHIP-02 doesn't have csync. I get the same as when I hook up my 03 SNES. Kinda surprising, I thought it was only 03 versions that didn't have csync.

Board:
http://imgur.com/W0us1qu

Serial:
http://imgur.com/qXRPcM7

Picture:
http://imgur.com/lnnWWUT
FBX

Post by FBX »

wyatt wrote: Kinda surprising, I thought it was only 03 versions that didn't have csync.
I think this is the case in the USA, but it was kind of unknown about the Japanese models.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Ive had several USA 1-chip-02's and they all had csync hooked up.
aarkay14

Post by aarkay14 »

Ok !!

Sorry for resuscitating an old topic, but this thread made me crazy to search for a 1 CHIP Super Famicom, and looking at the google docs list by the original uploader made me understand that any Super Famicom after serial number S2489xx... should be a 1 CHIP SFC.. and I finally found one with S24946228 !!! I was so happy, I bought it despite the super high price... I hooked it up and lo and behold the image quality was freaking awesome!!.. the Whole item was box packed along with the warrantee info and the manual!! .. I really liked it until I opened it to verify !!

And BAM !! its a SNS-CPU-APU-01 !! Not a 1 CHIP.. I turned it up again and looked closely at the screen .. I found no flaw at all ! It was simple awesome !! the color separation etc was really really nice.. I don't have RGB TV so cannot confirm more.... :(

This one contains the following chips:

1. CPU = Nintendo S-CPU B 5A22-02 6BF 9S
2. PPU1 = Nintendo S-PPU1 5C77-01 6AU HX
3. PPU2 = Nintendo S-PPU2 C 5C78-03 6BV 71
4. SPU = Nintendo S-APU SONY '89 JAPAN 608C26E
5. Encoder = Nintendo S-RGB 9607 M98 F

I am just thinking what to do? :( I wished it were a 1 CHIP, but it is not.. but it awesome quality... :( God !! Life is sooo stressed.. I hope this information helps someone..

Thanks !
FBX

Post by FBX »

aarkay14 wrote: And BAM !! its a SNS-CPU-APU-01 !! Not a 1 CHIP..
APU was the revision just before the 1CHIP, and the last revision to not have top line issues like the 1CHIP series. My NTSC APU revision has terrible diagonal jail bars, so I don't use it.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

My APU-01 also has lines and noise. I only keep it because the case is in great condition.
aarkay14

Post by aarkay14 »

FBX wrote:
aarkay14 wrote: And !! its a SNS-CPU-APU-01 !! Not a 1 CHIP..
APU was the revision just before the 1CHIP, and the last revision to not have top line issues like the 1CHIP series. My NTSC APU revision has terrible diagonal jail bars, so I don't use it.
So do all 1CHIP versions face this top line issue ? Even if they are on the Snes/sfc 1 ? I heard only the SNES/SFc 2 had some glitches but not the SNES 1 version 1 CHIP... Does anyone know for sure ...
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

If you can show a visual example I'll take a look at mine to see if it's there.
FBX

Post by FBX »

If you have Demon's Crest, you can see the top line garbage randomly appear on the first stage. I believe it even appears in the very first fight, but is even more prevalent in the first stage after that fight.
Chocograph

Post by Chocograph »

Any of you able to take some nice off-screen comparison pictures of the 1-chip vs the 1-chip with RGB amp?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

FBX wrote:If you have Demon's Crest, you can see the top line garbage randomly appear on the first stage. I believe it even appears in the very first fight, but is even more prevalent in the first stage after that fight.
Oh, well I'm poor so never mind :-)