Extron Emotia Power Supply Question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
rlaidepeas

Extron Emotia Power Supply Question

Post by rlaidepeas »

Hey all -

I got an Emotia II from eBay a while back that came missing a power supply. I've been searching for an affordable one that will work for a while and thought maybe this would do the trick. http://www.ebay.com/itm/190755022437?_t ... 97.c0.m619 What do you guys think? I know it needs a 5 pin DIN male plug which this power supply has -

According to the manual which I have saved as a pdf, the power supply is listed as 120-240 VAC, 50/60hz 1.2 A

This one on ebay is listed as Input 120-250v, 50/60hz 0.35 A , Output 2.0 A

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Fudoh

Re: Extron Emotia Power Supply Question

Post by Fudoh »

The PSU on eBay is just a 5V PSU. You need a Multi-voltage PSU with 5V, +12V and -12V.

And as a reminder: the Emotia 2 will *not* convert to 240p, just to 480i.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

When I did my Emotia, I ended up with a non-working power supply. I cut the cord off of it and used some barrier strip to join it up to a ATX to AT Power supply adapter.

Like this one:

http://www.outletpc.com/c8264.html?utm_ ... 4AodVnYARQ

Mine had the green line tied to ground so the PSU would always start up right away, but with that one you can wire a switch to the green and black leads.

Now I just power up my Emotia with an ATX Power supply, which works out because there's usually something else nearby that needs 5 or 12v, and it can piggy back off of that PSU. Plus it's cheap if you already have a PSU laying around that you don't use.
rlaidepeas

Post by rlaidepeas »

Thank you both for your help - and I was mistaken - It's not the Emotia II I have, but rather an Emotia GX. It's been in storage forever and I just went downstairs to pull it out. I knew from memory that it wasn't just Emotia, so I was thinking it was the II and then I found a .pdf for the manual for the Emotia II online, and I was thinking that's what I had.

Thanks for the power supply tip, although i'm not handy enough to cut the cord from a 5 pin DIN and connect it to the other supply and have any idea what I was doing.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Have somebody else do it for you. The Emotia GX is a wonderful machine, a real shame not to use it because of a missing PSU.
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Yup, the Emotia is great. I would no longer even consider playing Mega Man 9 on Wii or Third Strike Online on PS3 without running it through an Emotia first.

Running it with a computer power supply is not that difficult, I've done it many times. If you could figure out how to use a computer and get onto this forum, you can connect some wires together. Man up.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39950
rlaidepeas

Post by rlaidepeas »

Thanks for the link to the tutorial. You're right, it doesn't seem too daunting at all so I think i'll give it a try.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

What i need to do to my scart cable to conect my Extron Super Emotia to my CRT TV? i can connect it just fine to my philips CM8833 monitor using a 4 BNC (RGB+Sync) to scart, but using that same cable on my CRT tv i can't get no image at all.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can put some voltage to Pin 8 to activate this particular Scart input and you put some voltage to Pin 16 to activate RGB (instead of composite) on this input. Unfortunately the voltages required are different on different TV sets. 5V to Pin 8 and from there through a 200 ohms resistor to Pin 16 is kind of a standard configuration used on many RGB cables.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

And what about the UMSA - Ultimate SCART Adapter? if i conect the Super Emotia to it with an 4 BNC to vga cable, and then the UMSA to my scart TV would it work?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

should work as well. The Emotia's output is RGBs already, but that shouldn't matter to the UMSA.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Thanks Fudoh, worked great.