Feedbacks about the MICOMSOFT DISPL Scan converter ?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xyga

Re: Feedbacks about the MICOMSOFT DISPL Scan converter ?

Post by Xyga »

Dunno about XRGB-1, but 2 & 3 don't seem to have that little issue (afaik)

Don't give up too easily on the DISPL though, it's the best of the bunch as far as linedoubling 240p matters.
Modding a couple cables (or buying new custom ones) is worth the trouble IMHO.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
strygo

Post by strygo »

Thanks. I'll do some more comprehensive testing of my other systems. All of my cables are from Retro Access, so once I know something more conclusive, I'll ask her if I should expect any compatibility issues for the affected systems.

To be clear, I have no plans to dismiss the DISPL at this point. I have a bunch of scalers wired simultaneously, as I find this part of the hobby almost as enjoyable as the game playing. :)
strygo

Post by strygo »

After an exhaustive test of other systems, the good news is that only the Jaguar and PS1 are affected. I've reached out to Retro Access to see if she has any ideas.

Separately, I plan to get a new AC adapter. It seems a bit flakey.
strygo

Post by strygo »

I reached out to Retro Access and she suspects that her SCART to JP21 cable is not wired correctly with respect to the voltage supplied on the blanking pin. She's not come into contact with a DISPL until now and since the other XRGB devices don't have the issue, it hasn't been a problem. She is interested in getting to the bottom of the compatibility issue so that her cables are fully compliant with JP21. In the case of Jaguar, she believes that perhaps she is supply a voltage higher than what the DISPL might be expecting on the blanking line. She has struggled to find precise details about what should be emitted - if Xyga, Fudoh or others can share that precise info, it will certainly help.

I have also offered to lend her my DISPL for further testing. Hopefully combined with any info you guys have, she'll be able to fully resolve the problem for both of the systems.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I don't know more than what I did, I've modded my scart>jp21 adapter (the one that was commonly avalaible at the time the XRGB3 was still selling new) the way Fudoh advised, and since then I've never used a console or supergun that wouldn't work with it...
I've used a 100 ohm resistor instead of the more common 75, dunno if that makes a difference.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

@strygo: you could start by taking a few pictures and posting them here. Let's see one of your working RGB cables, one of your non-working ones and the EU/JP21 you're using.