Building Supergun

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

Building Supergun

Post by D »

Can I use the Sega Saturn power supply for super gun?
NO, because you need -12V -5V 0V +5V +12V
I want to have a quiet power supply. without a FAN
Options?

What power does Raiden Fighters use? Can I use the Saturn power supply just for that?

Of all the people that built superguns, why don't they put the credit,servide and test switches on the joypad????? I

know I will!

I'm having difficulty soldering to one of the legs of a sega saturn chip. I actually have tounconnect one leg from

the pcb!!!!!!!!! whaaaaaat? so tiny i can hardly see, i need serious equipment like small tools and then still....

You see, I could buy a supergun, but then I would still have to make modifications to play with saturn pads, I won't settle for anything less.

I think I can do it.

But that's coming from someone who shies aay from lifting a leg up of a sega saturn chip (it's soooo small)

I searched the internet for some sites and forum, but there seems to be little interest. Probably just a few people bother with these devices, but here on shmup forum I'm sure lot's of you have superguns right?

Living in the netherlands, I doubt if there is even one supergun in this country. everybody just buys a ps2 with fantastic four or whatever game is hugely marketed. I want supergun, should've gotten one 15 years ago!
PC Engine Fan X!

If you want the smallest Supergun $$ can buy, get MAK one...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yo D,

I bought a MAK Supergun off of eBay a few months back...and believe me, it's the smallest Supergun I've ever seen. It uses a generic multi-voltage 100v-240v AC adapter that outputs at the correct voltages to operate a Supergun set without the need for a cooling fan but it doesn't have built-in fuses to protect the 12 volt or 5 volt lines (which really should have it in the first place as extra insurance in case like say a TV monitor or RGB monitor draws more amperage than the Jamma PCB can handle, at the very least, a fuse will set off and not your valuable Jamma PCB instead).

However small a MAK Supergun is, it only outputs in Scart or Japanese RGB but no RGB to NTSC S-Video or Composite Video transcoder (although a mini JROK RBG to S-Video transcoder is possible as it's micro-sized to fit in tight & compact spaces relative to a Supergun's outside box setup...is powered by the 5 volt line on the Jamma interface). The guy that sells the MAK Superguns on eBay usually sells the MAK that outputs in Euro Scart but you'd have to make a special request to have Japanese RGB cable mod job done for you (if you plan to use the MAK Supergun with an XRGB-2 upscan convertor).

I'd have to say that the buttons on the MAK Supergun are of cheap quality and would need to be replaced with better & more durable push buttons that have a solid "clicky" feel (to let you know that they are indeed functioning when depressed).

Controller-wise, you can just use any Neo-Geo pad or AES joystick or modded gamepad or console joystick with Neo-Geo style joystick connectors (DB-15 pinouts).

My only gripe with the MAK Supergun is that if you want to register a "credit" on the respective Jamma PCB placed into the Jamma interface slot, then you have to push a button on the Supergun itself...it would be rather more easier if a "credit or coin" button was mapped out on the controller instead. Either that or hope that your PCB has some sort of "Free Play" option selectable on the "Operator's Main Option Menu Screen" used to set & save your desired PCB settings to memory.

I had the MAK seller put in two RCA stereo output jacks (even though most Jamma PCBs output in "mono" only...there are some stereo PCBs like the Taito G-Net, Capcom's CPS-2, Sega Titan ST-V and Neo-Geo MV-1 mobos all output in true stereo but you'd need a stereo adapter to take advantage of it...sounds much better listening in stereo rather in mono when playing your favorite Jamma PCBs).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

P.S. -- The Seibu Kaihatsu SP1 mobo with Raiden Fighters cartridge uses a standard arcade power supply unit that outputs at 12 volts & 5 volts just like any other standard Jamma PCB does (although some Superguns are powered by a PC power supply unit which delivers power at a reliable consistant rate).
D

Post by D »

Can I make a supergun from a working "Royal Video Action" jamma arcade cabinet? I mean all the parts are therin right?
I can buy a jamma cab with Raiden 2 for 225 EURO.

Go for it?
I'm tall: 1,94 M and standing in front of one of those things for long will give me a hernia, so I'd like to make a supergun out of it, that I can also put back in the cabinet.