shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:39 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:28 pm 

Namingway_PL wrote:
Hello everyone!

Yesterday i bought a Pioneer PDP v402E with 26k hours on the counter. There is no burn-in, the colours are nice and I realy like this beiutiful monitor, but it has got a issue. When I turn on the OSD, the letters are shimmering on the edges:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jrudv77q88rs ... 2.mp4?dl=0

I think this could be a problem with the power suply, because it is making a buzzing sound. Any ideas?

I can't watch your video on my phone, but that buzzing you're hearing is probably good old fashioned plasma buzzing. I also thought something was wrong when I first got an old plasma.
The buzzing changes pitch/volume based on what's on-screen right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:26 am 

Hopefully this is the appropriate thread for this, if not feel free to zap it. I didn't think starting a whole new thread was appropriate.

I have a Panasonic CT-27D11E that I'm using for my consoles. I'm using a Shinybow SCART to Component adapter with it and it seems to work really nice. My only problem is that the picture is tilted a bit and I can't figure out how to fix it. If you look at these pictures you'll see that the left side has a bit of a tilt, but it's not just a normal tilt as the right side shows a different kind of tilt. I entered the Serviceman menu but I didn't see anything to do with geometry controls other than V-Size and centering. I'm no stranger to cracking open the back of the TV (I have it open now actually) but just twisting the yoke a bit isn't going to fix this I think. What kind of adjustment do I need to get this back to a reasonable state? IS there anything I can do?

There's also a problem with some bowing inward in the center on the bottom (see the last picture) that I can't figure out how to fix either. Any ideas/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:34 am 

I find this is pretty normal (I would say more often than not and I have a pretty huge number of PVM's which have gone through me) in 20"+ PVM's.

In BVM's, no. 14" PVM's, usually no. Maybe not to quite this degree of your pics (unless it's clearly evident the monitor has seen a LOT of use), but it's pretty common to have it there on the sides to some degree (the white slightly shifting over into the red). No fool proof way to fix it (want to say I've played with the rings before, and some older larger sets have a pot which will adjust only one area of the screen at a time), but I'll stay tuned if anybody has suggestions which I can try next time (have ~6x 20" right now I can mess with in fact).

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:01 am 

bobrocks95 wrote:

I can't watch your video on my phone, but that buzzing you're hearing is probably good old fashioned plasma buzzing. I also thought something was wrong when I first got an old plasma.
The buzzing changes pitch/volume based on what's on-screen right?

You are probably right, the buzzing changes pitch depending on what's on the screen. I found a TV repair guy who is familiar with those PDP monitors, and I will bring it over to him after the weekend. But he told me not to give myself too much hope because it could be the screen...

Those PDP v402 monitors are realy old and rare. I own CRT's that are newer ;) I bought mine for cheap, so it wont be a big deal if it's impossible to fix it, but it would be great to have one that's fully functional.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:09 pm 

i picked up a PDP-v402 over the holiday weekend dirt cheap and copy of Thunder Force III.

the tv was so old and dirty on the inside. the picture has distortion so i had to open it up and adjust 3 voltage pots due to aging 1st gen panel (dated Feb 2, 2000) and did some cleaning.

finally got it up and running last night!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:36 pm 

somehow still great, right? I mean, there's no logical reason to get one. OSSC to an OLED is better by multiple dimensions, but I still like mine....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:40 pm 

where are you guys getting these things?? I've been searching for a year now never seen a single one :(

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:42 pm 

I had mine for a long time now, but quite recently there was a seller on local classifieds with a whole dozen. I was very tempted to get a few more (but they weren't this cheap).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:45 pm 

is it truly lag free? like keeps time with a CRT?

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:46 pm 

a few ms maybe. The linedoubler is working without a full frame buffer. It uses the same doubling algorithm the OSSC uses.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:52 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
somehow still great, right? I mean, there's no logical reason to get one. OSSC to an OLED is better by multiple dimensions, but I still like mine....

wow! 4x :shock: i really need a set of those OOS feets/stand for it.
I was curious about the set after reading your review, pictured next to it is the 20G1U (which is the same as the 20F1U) that i got too after reading your post years ago!

i will eventually get a OLED when prices fall a bit more and my Kuro dies.

maxtherabbit wrote:
where are you guys getting these things?? I've been searching for a year now never seen a single one :(
it was 40 bucks and 5 minutes away local Craigslist, (a nice thing to grab on the way home from Thanksgiving shopping. he lived near the shopping mall)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:03 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
a few ms maybe. The linedoubler is working without a full frame buffer. It uses the same doubling algorithm the OSSC uses.

yeah I wasn't questioning the linedoubling per se - it seems that plasmas typically have some latency even at their native resolution

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:28 pm 

maxtherabbit wrote:
I've been searching for a year now never seen a single one :(

I have been looking for one for like 5 years now, no luck yet, either seller won't ship, won't ship internationally, or is grossly overpriced (like 800 EUR or so).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:56 pm 

Anyone can help me with this problem on my pal Sony CRT using RGB scart cable at 60htz and 50htz. This not only appears with my Mega Drive console but also with other consoles and especially in light color backgrounds like this blue one. This doesnt appear to be a cable problem because with the same setup on my other crt's everything seems ok.

Edit: It appears at 240p and 480i.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:20 pm 

Try a high quality CSYNC cable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 pm 

hey guys,
grabbed a remote off ebay for the pdp-v402 i just got of craigslist:

this remote is a huge back saver to pull up the service menu instead manually constantly reaching for the power and menu located on the side of the TV every time i need to adjust a setting.
My back was killing me the first weekend i got the set trying to pull up the service menu. The combination and timing is tricky to get into the service menu. Felt like i'm playing mario and trying to time a perfect jump and while throwing a fireball.

with the remote, at least i can attempt to pull it off sitting on my couch =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:38 pm 

Quote:
The combination and timing is tricky to get into the service menu.

do I remember this wrong? Wasn't this one of the easiest combinations ever? In standby just hit menu and within a second hit the power on button? Or am I thinking of something different here?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:16 am 

Fudoh wrote:
Quote:
The combination and timing is tricky to get into the service menu.

do I remember this wrong? Wasn't this one of the easiest combinations ever? In standby just hit menu and within a second hit the power on button? Or am I thinking of something different here?

w/o the remote, the buttons are on the lower right side of the panel. it's hard to reach where i stationed the plasma on my floor. it was hard for me as i would hold down the power button too long after releasing the menu button which would nullify the service menu and i would have to power it off and try it again... wait a few seconds for the red light to reset, then hold menu then press power to attempt again. often i miss the timing and have to cycle through this step several times.

While in the service menu, if i swap console cables from Genesis Scart cable to Saturn Scart. the Service menu will exit due to a no signal for a split second. Then i would have manually power off the TV and try to get into the service menu again each time. it was a pain while dialing in a good default setting for the vertical and horizontal borders in the service menu. having to switch between consoles back and forth to get a general that spot that works for Saturn, ps1 and Genesis games i was playing. i would then use the regular menu to make fine adjustments to the vertical center.

The games i use have extreme shifted borders. I use R-Types psone and shift the horizontal extremely to the left to get the best results that works for the majority of systems. that game needs a good horizontal center dialed to avoid cutting off horizontal cut the top and bottom of the screen. once that is dialed every other system and game usually matches and borders do not get cut off. next, i'll use Resident Evil one psx to get the good shadows w/o crushing the blacks adjusting the RGB LOWS/CUTS vs. brightness and then RGB highs/drives vs. Contrast. Second game, i use is Raiden project in TATE for both I and II. Raiden II similar to R-Types has to be centered perfectly or the sides will be cut off. Raiden I has a lot of wiggle room.
After those extreme boarder psone games are dialed in, next i'll boot up the Saturn and use Layer Section TATE, Outrun to check and last, boot up the Genesis w/ Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 1, Out Run and Thunder Force III for fine vertical border adjustments just using the regular menu.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:30 pm 

davidwhangchoi wrote:

the tv was so old and dirty on the inside. the picture has distortion so i had to open it up and adjust 3 voltage pots due to aging 1st gen panel (dated Feb 2, 2000) and did some cleaning.

Which pots did You have to adjust? I have some issues with mine PDP V402 that I've bought recently, but I have no experience on plasma sets. I also need to open it up and do some cleaning. Do You have any tips? :) How many working hours is on your monitor?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173