shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5044 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:55 am 

danielretrogamer wrote:
I already have many CRTs (PVMs, BVMs and also couple JVCs and Ikegamis up to 20 inches) which I've collected for the last 5 years.
As a retrogamer just can't have enough CRTs :mrgreen: I am considering buying a 34" Trinitron TV (late 90s) which goes for a much lower price then a large pro CRT, which are basically non-existent here in Brazil. A simple 14" PVM goes for U$200 - U$300 and a 20" PVM goes for U$500 U$600 IF you can find one.
Anyone (still) uses a 34" CRT beast for gaming? Do they all have geometry issues or something?
How does the image compares to pro monitors of the same era (late 90s)?

The big PVMs exist here I payed R$500 for my 2950Q, R$50 for each BVM-20G1U and R$200 for my G520 (which I got recently).

And answering your question, big CRTs, curved, are way less prone to geometry issues. You will probably need to fix some convergence but geometry are usually fine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:30 pm 

Olá amigo. :D

By "large pro CRT" I mean >20". I know it is possible to find one here, but for a price I am not willing to pay, specially for older models PVMs (which I see more often) with maybe too many hours on them.
I got a BVM-20E1U for +-U$100 (without controller but still a bargain) but most of the time the prices are (too) high and keep rising. I saw someone selling the same model online for more then U$1000.
I agree curved CRTs (Trinitron, not FD WEGA TVs) are the way to go. Too bad they only have S-VIDEO (at least the ones I've seen).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:55 pm 

At least in the US if you want component + Trinitron it has to be a flat tube Wega. If you don't need it to be a Sony, the options open up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:11 pm 

Same as here. I guess S-VIDEO will have to do for the TV, a 34" CRT will be fun for lightgun games.

I recently took some PVMs for a retro gaming booth at an event, just found a picture on my (crappy) phone:
PVM 14L1

Got nine units of this model, basic, but good (and new) enough. They seem to be very common here in Brazil. Some people who worked in broadcast TV back in the day say they used composite or S-VIDEO most of the time, RGB was only used for color correction.

EDIT: one of the monitors in the picture does have RGB/Composite I forgot which model it is.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5044 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169