Post by gamefan71 »

fagin wrote:
gamefan71 wrote:I dislike you very much :) j/k
ROFLOL

Yeah, well you are part of the problem also :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Fudoh

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by Fudoh »

But if you want something that accepts 480p, 720p and 1080i signals, then the Sony PVM-20L5 (or 14L5 for 14") is what you want
But isn't the problem with the L5 that it basically accepts 720p and 1080i "just for compatibility" reasons ? The actual dot pitch should be the same as on the 15khz-only models, so you'll get a (nice) picture, but the monitor won't be able to resolve the full resolution. Does it accept 480p ? I haven't checked the manual, but most spec sheets only list the broadcast resolutions which are 480i, 720p and 1080i.
gamefan71

Post by gamefan71 »

Fudoh wrote:
But if you want something that accepts 480p, 720p and 1080i signals, then the Sony PVM-20L5 (or 14L5 for 14") is what you want
But isn't the problem with the L5 that is basically accepts 720p and 1080i "just for compatibility" reasons ? The actual dot pitch should be the same as on the 15khz-only models, so you'll get a (nice) picture, but the monitor won't be able to resolve the full resolution. Does it accept 480p ? I haven't checked the manual, but most spec sheets only list the broadcast resolutions which are 480i, 720p and 1080i.

To my eyes (which doesn't mean a lot) it's resolving those higher resolutions, not just compatibility. It does support 480p and it looks great!

http://www.broadcastbaron.com/infopvm20l5.htm
Jack_from_BYOAC

Post by Jack_from_BYOAC »

This site says to add about 15% to a stripe pitch to get the equivalent dot pitch.

http://www.dansdata.com/sg400.htm

That would make the 20L5 have about a .36mm dot pitch

If you plug 19" into this site:

http://pxcalc.com/

You get that you need below about .38mm to display 1024x768 properly. So it should be able to resolve quite a bit of 1280x720. Maybe not the whole HD res, but certainly a step up from 480p.
Shozuki

Post by Shozuki »

Hope someone can help me, got my BVM today and it's lovely all my consoles seem to work fine, except my SNES....

The image is always flickering and im not sure why or what I need to do or buy to fix it.

I know Fudoh mentions clean sync, however on my other machines (all official RGB SCART's) setting the monitor to EXT sync seems to work and look fantastic... Is this the issue with the SNES? What do I need to get?

Thanks!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I ran various SNES units extensively on the BVM since I only recently got my 1CHIP and tried back and forth a lot. I also corrected myself: you don't need clean sync on the BVM. I used different RGB cables, some with composite video, others with raw sync and no matter which SNES or which cable, picture was perfect.
Shozuki

Post by Shozuki »

Thanks for the info Fudoh, weird then that my SNES doesnt seem to work, I'm pretty sure its the cable though in that I need another one - what sort of cable do you recommend me re-trying with?

Thanks!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You could check if you cable has caps on the RGB lines or not and possibly try without them (if you got them), or add them (if you don't).
Shozuki

Post by Shozuki »

Fudoh wrote:You could check if you cable has caps on the RGB lines or not and possibly try without them (if you got them), or add them (if you don't).
Sorry I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean... Sorry!

Thanks
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

NTSC SNES units require capacitors on the RGB lines to filter out some offset voltage. If they're not there or if they got the wrong specs, you can run into problems with the display.... You can check your cable by simply opening up the Scart connector and have a look what's inside.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Pretty sure he has a modded PAL unit with a French official peritel cable.
highlandcattle

Post by highlandcattle »

What do you experts think of the SONY PVM-14M2E ? I have a chance to buy one at a decent price but I don't now much about these things. Except that the crt I'm currently using is absolute shite.
fagin

Post by fagin »

highlandcattle wrote:What do you experts think of the SONY PVM-14M2E ? I have a chance to buy one at a decent price but I don't now much about these things. Except that the crt I'm currently using is absolute shite.
They are fine but if you can get the 14M4* you'll have a better PVM.

The M2 is 600 lines and the M4 is 800 lines capable. I have the 14M4 and it is better than any 500-600 line PVM I have seen before.
highlandcattle

Post by highlandcattle »

thanks for the reply!
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Hey guys,

I recently got a PVM-14M2U and I am loving it, but one question is what do you guys typically do for sound for stereo-supporting consoles such as, say, SNES?
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

External speakers of course.
highlandcattle

Post by highlandcattle »

If you could chose between a PVM 1440QM or 1450QM which then. Sorry about all these questions but I'm pretty clueless!
It appears that the PVM 1440QM already has a scart port that could be handy!
Last edited by highlandcattle on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

speedlolita wrote:External speakers of course.
Yeah, I need details on that. I have been looking around and maybe I am not looking in the right places (I am totally green to the concept of after-market home audio solutions in general) but everything I'm looking at seems to be extremely expensive and kind of bulky/shitty. I assume I need to buy an audio receiver/amp as well as left and right channel speakers, right? Can you guys give me some examples of what you have in your setup? Pictures would be awesome.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Why don't you just look into active PC speaker systems ?
fagin

Post by fagin »

highlandcattle wrote:If you could chose between a PVM 1440QM or 1450QM which then. Sorry about all these questions but I'm pretty clueless!

Virtually the same barr the inputs. 40 has SCART as well as RGBS. 50 has RGBS and svideo.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Necronopticous wrote:
speedlolita wrote:External speakers of course.
Yeah, I need details on that. I have been looking around and maybe I am not looking in the right places (I am totally green to the concept of after-market home audio solutions in general) but everything I'm looking at seems to be extremely expensive and kind of bulky/shitty. I assume I need to buy an audio receiver/amp as well as left and right channel speakers, right? Can you guys give me some examples of what you have in your setup? Pictures would be awesome.
I breakout audio and feed through my PC setup for glorious audio.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Necronopticous wrote:Can you guys give me some examples of what you have in your setup? Pictures would be awesome.
Apologies but I simply use the built in mono speaker. As Fudoh suggested, any active PC speakers will do. Logitech, Creative - you name it.

My own desktop setup is a Cambridge Audio 340A and Monitor Audio RX1, slight overkill.
fagin

Post by fagin »

The only reason why anyone should only use a mono speaker, is if they're deaf and only have one ear!!

Wash your mouth out you filthy animal! ;)
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Lol, well it does the job. :lol:

Was thinking of a way to power my Dell AX510 sound bar and shove that on top of my PVM. Can't be bothered to spend more money for some sound, not yet at least.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Maybe I am missing something, but how do you go from stereo RCA cables to PC speakers?
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

RCA to female 3.5mm cable, or male - depending on the speaker config.

RCA translates to dual signal and shared ground with the 3.5mm phono.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

fagin wrote:deaf and only have one ear!!
If you're deaf you could have three ears, it wouldn't make any difference!

What I use for breaking out audio is what's commonly available at Radio Shack: Stereo RCA (white + red for my console applications) to 3.5mm male headphone, because that's the cable that seems to be most commonly available at Radio Shack.
Then get a 3.5mm female-to-female blinged up adapter to mate with that and headphones (or your amp or whatever).
fagin

Post by fagin »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
fagin wrote:deaf and only have one ear!!
If you're deaf you could have three ears, it wouldn't make any difference!
:mrgreen:

It was meant as a double negative on purpose, to highlight the magnitude of the referral! :lol:
highlandcattle

Post by highlandcattle »

fagin wrote:
highlandcattle wrote:If you could chose between a PVM 1440QM or 1450QM which then. Sorry about all these questions but I'm pretty clueless!

Virtually the same barr the inputs. 40 has SCART as well as RGBS. 50 has RGBS and svideo.
and comparisons to the SONY PVM-14M2E ?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

The nice thing about my old PVM was that it had a built in sound amp and you could hook up external spekers to it.

Nothing like playing a 240p game on a studio CRT hooked to a pair of tower speakers standing almost as high as myself. Perfect picture married with perfect sound.

If I had access to even 5% of the stuff I have today as a kid I would have been the happiest kid in the world. Curse my subpar childhood.