shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:55 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:41 pm 

100 Mega Shock wrote:
Intergraph 28hd96 28 tv

That is fascinating. Shadow mask, famous for being a 1080p monitor and used by John Carmack during the development of Quake. Somebody found 6 of them at a firm specializing in aerial imagery, and has gotten at least one working now. No, I don't have a video, but check out the geometry:
https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... d_squares/

Anyhow, today's post from me concerns something a lot more prosaic. I've been pondering a ~150 pound Toshiba 36A43 at a local thrift. Trinitron-style, it is only 480i, but supports component. All the detailed service info I've been able to find is an Amazon review criticizing its faceplate design, and saying it can fail when black bars appear onscreen (apparently it has an enhancement meant to detect black bars in content). Anybody have an opinion on this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:59 am 

Dude, I'd love to have a 36" SD set again. And 150 lbs is on the much lighter side as far as those things go. I say, as long as the thrift isn't asking too much for it (remember these things can still be had for free all over the place), go for it, absolutely.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:59 am 

On both my Sony PVM 20L4s I had to remove the anti-glare filter because they were damaged. I want to add a new anti-glare filter because the black levels are much too grey for my liking. Would a simple car anti-glare filter work? I do want to keep the ability to play light-gun games. Any tips for a good anti-glare filter?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192