Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mikejmoffitt

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Sounds like a problem with HV generation or regulation. The flyback may be in trouble, and that pop might be a brief arc.
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

Remistewart wrote:Occasionally my BVMD24 makes an electrical pop sound, and the picture briefly flicks off for a split second. The red standby light also flickers during the moment.

Bit scary as its happening more frequently now - although after turning the contrast down it's a little less common.

Is the monitor on its way out, or is this normal behaviour?
You've really got to find out where that is coming from. Abnormal popping sounds indicate that a critical and possibly catastrophic failure is on its way. Naturally, you'll have to pull the unit out, take all the casing off, and watch and wait. If it happens too infrequently to want to catch yourself, you could try using a video camera.

If it's a replaceable component, you're going to want to replace it sooner rather than later so that the problem doesn't cascade into more components.

If it's the flyback, then it's probably time to start hunting for dead D24s that still have good flybacks in them. Unless, of course, that particular flyback model happens to be available somewhere.
danielretrogamer

Post by danielretrogamer »

Anyone ever used PHILIPS BOSCH pro monitors? Couple 20" monitors avaliable, made in Japan :?: :!: they have Composite and SVIDEO but no RGB. Are they good enough or maybe just "security" monitors? Since they are japanese, I wonder what's inside...
I already have one 20" PVM (and more then ten 14") but I am considering getting one of these, as I only got 1 20" monitor (which is good but old).
they seem to be rare, there's not much info or pictures online.
I believe they have 450 lines (from a random spec site).
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Remistewart wrote:Occasionally my BVMD24 makes an electrical pop sound, and the picture briefly flicks off for a split second. The red standby light also flickers during the moment.

Bit scary as its happening more frequently now - although after turning the contrast down it's a little less common.

Definitely not normal but it does occur

check my video. I had the same issue last year and I fixed it by changing the flyback. Your best bet is to try find a spare

https://youtu.be/sfI4M86e6tk
Yamato

Post by Yamato »

Hey guys,

I have some trouble with my Sony BVM 20 F1E :?
It worked without flaws for over 3 years now since I got it. But now approximately every 10 to 30 seconds there is a noticeable "cracking" sound with a super short horizontal flicker.
Operating hours are only 22 thousand.

I made a video of the issue. Unfortunately the cracking sound isn't really hearable in the video like it is in real, sorry.
Video Link

In addition here is what the short flicker effect looks like as a picture sequence (please refer to the Mario World logo in the middle picture):

Any ideas how to repair this :?: :?: :?:

Help would be highly appreciated! Thank you!
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

^ Sounds to me like some kind of static discharge happening inside
Gnomenthusiast

Post by Gnomenthusiast »

I came on to post the exact same thing, although in my case it seems to have caused permanent damage.

Same as you described, there was a flash/pop, and the red light was illuminated. I switched it off and left it.

Now it's back on and appears to be working, but the brightness (with all knobs centered as normal) is about 1/5th of what it was. It's useable if you turn the brightness and contrast up, but nothing like it was.

A CRT repair place is going to have a look for £15 to see if it's repairable, what steps would people take in this situation?

Thanks in advance,
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

Gnomenthusiast wrote:

I came on to post the exact same thing, although in my case it seems to have caused permanent damage.

Same as you described, there was a flash/pop, and the red light was illuminated. I switched it off and left it.

Now it's back on and appears to be working, but the brightness (with all knobs centered as normal) is about 1/5th of what it was. It's useable if you turn the brightness and contrast up, but nothing like it was.

A CRT repair place is going to have a look for £15 to see if it's repairable, what steps would people take in this situation?

Thanks in advance,
I can't see the harm in having them take a look. Unless you can troubleshoot and repair it yourself there's not much else to do.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Hello there. Longtime lurker making a first post here. I'm looking to buy an SD trinitron locally and I'm seeking some advice. Should I opt for a flat screen or curved screen tv? Again this is strictly for SD gaming at 240p (and maybe occasionally 480i). Do the curved screen CRTs generally have better geometry? What are the advantages of flat screens vs curved ones?
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

A flat trinitron tube is truly flat and must dynamically change the scanning speed during a line, which makes the beam acceleration a function of the position within a scanline. As the set ages, this tends to get wonkier before anything else, leading to some wobbling when things move side to side, or scrolling happens, etc. Plus, the aperture grille density is unevenly distributed about the screen face.

I'm really not a huge fan of flat Trinitrons. The cylindrical ones, especially the KV-*42 series, are my favorites.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

mikejmoffitt wrote:A flat trinitron tube is truly flat and must dynamically change the scanning speed during a line, which makes the beam acceleration a function of the position within a scanline. As the set ages, this tends to get wonkier before anything else, leading to some wobbling when things move side to side, or scrolling happens, etc. Plus, the aperture grille density is unevenly distributed about the screen face.

I'm really not a huge fan of flat Trinitrons. The cylindrical ones, especially the KV-*42 series, are my favorites.
Thanks! Looks like I'll focus on finding a non-flat tube then, particularly one with S-video. I have a framemeister, so it will be strictly for 240p SD non-RGB gaming. I wish I knew where to get a hold of a PVM or BVM locally. I've been trying for years to no avail.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

If you want better geometry search up semi-late model JVCs. They used high line counts with curved screens quite a while after Sony switched over to flat screens.

But in reality, at this point just get something good. They're drying up.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Einzelherz wrote:If you want better geometry search up semi-late model JVCs. They used high line counts with curved screens quite a while after Sony switched over to flat screens.
JVC's pro (PVM-esque) sets are nice too - and Panasonic (which JVC seems to have made all/most of their professional sets for them). Both those brands are also much cheaper than the more coveted Sony PVM/BVM's for the most part (which honestly I have to add I still prefer Sony's - simply better service menu tuning abilities, and aperture grill gives you a cleaner image IMOs, but JVC/Panasonic 750+ TVL pro models are still VERY nice).
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

I found a Sharp 27U-S100 (manufactured 2002) at a local Goodwill in great shape for just $13 US. N64 looks great over S-video. Not a lot of options for tweaking the picture unfortunately. What's the general consensus on Sharp CRTs? I'll probably keep this one handy as a temporary set until I can get a good curved screen Trinitron or PVM/BVM.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

GojiFan90 wrote:I found a Sharp 27U-S100 (manufactured 2002) at a local Goodwill in great shape for just $13 US. N64 looks great over S-video. Not a lot of options for tweaking the picture unfortunately. What's the general consensus on Sharp CRTs? I'll probably keep this one handy as a temporary set until I can get a good curved screen Trinitron or PVM/BVM.
I thought goodwill's stopped accepting tvs. They are all gone from the my area.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

GojiFan90 wrote:I found a Sharp 27U-S100 (manufactured 2002) at a local Goodwill in great shape for just $13 US. N64 looks great over S-video. Not a lot of options for tweaking the picture unfortunately. What's the general consensus on Sharp CRTs? I'll probably keep this one handy as a temporary set until I can get a good curved screen Trinitron or PVM/BVM.
To be honest, this late in the game if a particular set looks good, it's good. My Philips mid tier screen looks better than every Trinitron I've come across at secondhand stores because I took care of it.

The only immediate downside to that Sharp that I can tell is that it doesn't accept component which limits your easy-to-do options.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

If it looks good, it looks good. The important thing in this hobby is to find a set that gets you stoked

Enjoy your Sharp :)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Cool, thanks for the input everyone! I've been playing some Zelda on this TV and I've got to say it even trumps my framemeister (for N64 at least). Just need to find my white whale now: a PVM/BVM. :D
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Curved screen Toshibas are pretty good but like Einzelherz stated it depends upon how much it was used. I picked up a Toshiba 27" 27A50 with Composite/S-video/Component like three months for free and it looks amazing. Only thing I will have to do in the future is recap it as it is 17-18 years old+ and the contrast maxed out could be a little better.

With that said it will never be as sharp as a good condition consumer trinitron imo due to the fact toshibas use shadow mask while sonys use aperature iirc.

I haven't had much luck with those flat sony wegas 27". A 27FS100l Sony Trintron I used to have looked sharper than my Toshiba, but had noise issues due to the tilt function IC that I had to tilt it +5 and mess up my bottom geometry + too much red push (reds were orange and I tried to fix them in the service menu but it just screwed up the white balance). Also picked up a 27FS100 and it looks decent, but not as sharp as my Toshiba.

I could be wrong, but I think the curved toshibas 27" crts can also be used for replacement tubes in candy cabinets provided you change out the yoke and shit.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:Curved screen Toshibas are pretty good but like Einzelherz stated it depends upon how much it was used. I picked up a Toshiba 27" 27A50 with Composite/S-video/Component like three months for free and it looks amazing.
Whenever you do open that up, can you let me know what tube is in it? I picked up a few different Toshiba 27" models in hopes of getting a Toshi tube out of them to replace a pretty burned one in one of my cabs, and the 27a40 at least is an Orion tube.
MKL

Post by MKL »

I've found lots of Toshiba tubes in non Toshiba TVs but never a Toshiba tube in a Toshiba TV.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

MKL wrote:I've found lots of Toshiba tubes in non Toshiba TVs but never a Toshiba tube in a Toshiba TV.
Any suggestions on brands to look for? I'm at maybe 5 Toshiba TV's so far with 0 Toshiba tubes.
MKL

Post by MKL »

If you are in the US I can't give you any suggestions as I'm in Europe.
ChuChu Flamingo

DejahThoris wrote:
ChuChu Flamingo wrote:Curved screen Toshibas are pretty good but like Einzelherz stated it depends upon how much it was used. I picked up a Toshiba 27" 27A50 with Composite/S-video/Component like three months for free and it looks amazing.
Whenever you do open that up, can you let me know what tube is in it? I picked up a few different Toshiba 27" models in hopes of getting a Toshi tube out of them to replace a pretty burned one in one of my cabs, and the 27a40 at least is an Orion tube.
I thought this Toshiba was a 27A50, but it was a 27A60 actually. Here is the tube number, it is a Toshiba tube. Although unlikely, it is possible that even if you find a same model one it could have a different tube.

DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:
I thought this Toshiba was a 27A50, but it was a 27A60 actually. Here is the tube number, it is a Toshiba tube.
Thanks!
bodine1231

Post by bodine1231 »

Is there a "screen" pot on the 20F1U? I opened it up but cant find it. My picture is very dark,as you can see the menu letters are almost black instead of grey.

Last edited by bodine1231 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MKL

Post by MKL »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:
I thought this Toshiba was a 27A50, but it was a 27A60 actually. Here is the tube number, it is a Toshiba tube.
That's a Thomson tube.
ChuChu Flamingo

What gives it away that it is that? What do those numbers by tube type mean if you don't mind me asking.

So if you want to say replace a Egret 2 monitor which has a tube # a68kju96x iirc, the donor has to be that number as well?
nissling

Post by nissling »

Earlier today I got to see a BVM-D24E1WE at a friend's place. Along with the BVM-D32E1W*, the only major BVM I'd yet to see. With a Sony BVM-D20F1E right next to it, I must say I was rather impressed after seeing it with a RGB modded Snes Jr. The boost in line count was visible when next to eachother but rather negligible otherwise. Both provided very sharp picture, but on clear text the D24 seemed somewhat more solid. Convergence and geometry was really excellent, especially considering it being a flatscreen. Colors were almost perfectly matched after we had played some with the white balance (setting both at D65).

Personally I don't feel like I'd want to trade my BVM-20F1J for a D24 (I prefer the rounded screen for retro gaming) but it's hard not to be impressed by its uniform image. Even when showing convergence patterns in 1080/60i, it was very sharp even in the corners. These pictures don't do much justice (and the last one certainly sucks) but I still feel like posting them here for your pleasure. :)
Spoiler

DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:What gives it away that it is that? What do those numbers by tube type mean if you don't mind me asking.

So if you want to say replace a Egret 2 monitor which has a tube # a68kju96x iirc, the donor has to be that number as well?
ArcadeOtaku threads state that any Toshiba-branded curved tube should fit the bezel. Whether that's true or not, who knows. I've only managed to find half a dozen Orion tubes, haha.
nissling wrote:Earlier today I got to see a BVM-D24E1WE at a friend's place. Along with the BVM-D32E1W*, the only major BVM I'd yet to see. With a Sony BVM-D20F1E right next to it, I must say I was rather impressed after seeing it with a RGB modded Snes Jr. The boost in line count was visible when next to eachother but rather negligible otherwise. Both provided very sharp picture, but on clear text the D24 seemed somewhat more solid. Convergence and geometry was really excellent, especially considering it being a flatscreen. Colors were almost perfectly matched after we had played some with the white balance (setting both at D65).
I had both the D24 and D20F1, I finally decided to just let the D20 go. The difference is just so small, and the D24's just so much more versatile. Zero regrets.