Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Inspektor

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by Inspektor »

Thank you very much Xer Xian, that helped me a lot.

This is my 1Chip-02 board, mystery solved I guess? Not every revision has CSYNC then.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Inspektor wrote:Thank you very much Xer Xian, that helped me a lot.

This is my 1Chip-02 board, mystery solved I guess? Not every revision has CSYNC then.
Yeah, I was actually talking with FBX about that a few days ago, it turns out that most 02 have CSYNC factory enabled, but the latest ones do not have CSYNC. Btw, could you tell us your 02 serial number please?
Inspektor

Post by Inspektor »

Lawfer wrote:
Inspektor wrote:Thank you very much Xer Xian, that helped me a lot.

Yeah, I was actually talking with FBX about that a few days ago, it turns out that most 02 have CSYNC factory enabled, but the latest ones do not have CSYNC. Btw, could you tell us your 02 serial number please?
Sure
SM12050259
Of course assuming that nobody changed the PCB :D
Last question from me about this issue, I hijacked the CRT thread with SFC problems so sorry, but what does this mean now? Do I need to buy the Sync on Luma cable now? Are there any quality differences between sync on luma and CSYNC (not that I have any choice anyway)?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Thanks.
Inspektor wrote:but what does this mean now? Do I need to buy the Sync on Luma cable now?
Either use a Sync on Luma cable or get your 02 CSYNC reactivated through a mod.

Inspektor wrote:Are there any quality differences between sync on luma and CSYNC (not that I have any choice anyway)?
No difference, citrus3000psi explained to me that it's just that some TVs/monitors won't works with sync on luma while all TVs/monitors will work with CSYNC.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I have a late LG crt here that will only accept composite video as sync.

If I use csync it thinks I'm trying to run svideo and uses the sync for the luma channel giving me a black and white picture.

This is the only set ive encountered that requires composite video as sync over csync.
ChrisFritz

Post by ChrisFritz »

Looks like savon-pat is offering repair and upgrade service for the deflection, video, and power supply module. You send him the modules and he sends them back to you for $430.

I'd imagine you're paying for the labor since I doubt the parts cost anywhere near that figure. Has anyone done this yet?

Link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-BVM-20F1U ... 2378109690
philexile

Post by philexile »

I just recapped my D32's deflection and video boards. Its a bit of pain and there are a lot of surface mount capacitors, but if you have the right tools and experience it isn't too hard. I bought kits for each board from Pat to save on the hassle of finding the "issue" caps, ordering the right parts, etc.

One important point: when you get the boards back Pat, you'll have to re-load factory settings on each board. This is done in the MAINTENANCE menu. This process in itself is easy, but if your monitor had a tube replacement at some point then you're in for a LOT of convergence tweaking. If it has the original tube it shouldn't be as bad but you'll still have to make adjustments. As long as you're patient, its not hard, just time consuming.
lewolfeur

Post by lewolfeur »

Have won a Hantarex plasma PD40 Slim (its a lg screen inside), need to buy a stand for it and not come with the remote .
Havent find on the internet a user manual .

Anyone have information or maybe a manual in pdf ?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

lewolfeur wrote:Have won a Hantarex plasma PD40 Slim
That's a nice one you got there, what's the native resolution?
lewolfeur

Post by lewolfeur »

Win it in a auction.

normally its a 640 x 480 pixels like the pdp-402.
vasya228

Post by vasya228 »

Hello! How to correct these 3 corners?
https://i.imgur.com/E3W17Mt.jpg
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

vasya228 wrote:Hello! How to correct these 3 corners?
You have a curved screen bezel.

It looks like minor pincushion.

If you could increase the barrel distortion, you could reduce the vertical and horizontal width afterwards to fix those corners.

I didn’t get your model #
Copyright 1987
vasya228

Post by vasya228 »

Hoagtech wrote: I didn’t get your model #
14L2
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

vasya228 wrote:Hello! How to correct these 3 corners?
I've had a PVM 20L2 with the same problem, and there are no settings that could correct those corners. You have to use some permalloy convergance strips. It worked for me.
vasya228

Post by vasya228 »

Namingway_PL wrote: You have to use some permalloy convergance strips. It worked for me.
Thank you!

Why 14L2 + PAL Wii composite cable + 480i NTSC mode = color image,
but 20L4 + PAL Wii composite cable + 480i NTSC mode = b/w image?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I use a magnetic highly insulated screwdriver to find the spot to put the strips.
creib

Post by creib »

ive been offered a PVM 20M2MDU, but with a claimed dead blue gun.

havnt seen the monitor in person so dont have any more info but how difficult/costly would replacing it be?

thanks
markedkiller78

Post by markedkiller78 »

Halp!

I’m having some sync issues with PSone / PSX and my D20F1E (the 4:3 version of the D24E1W)

I bought the Sony PSone Scart cable, which I believe is working, but it will not sync with my BVM at all. I’m guessing it’s to do with the PSone not outputting CSYNC. I’ve tried every combination possible. I can get a stable picture by combining sync and green, but it’s an absolute mess.

I’m using a scart to BNC from retro game cables, with sync separator. Everything else is working, SFC, saturn, n64 and Wii. AFAIK they all output CSYNC.

Would a CSYNC cable from retro game cables work for me, or is that cable doing exactly what my scart to BNC is meant to be doing?

As an aside, the Sony scart cable works with my PS2, but only when set to component at both the car nails and he BVM.
Allied Ibara Rebels
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You don't require a clean CSYNC signal on this BVM, so a passive adapter would work for you just as well. It's likely a problem with the power supply for the sync stripper inside the breakout cable.
markedkiller78

Post by markedkiller78 »

Fudoh wrote:You don't require a clean CSYNC signal on this BVM, so a passive adapter would work for you just as well. It's likely a problem with the power supply for the sync stripper inside the breakout cable.
Thanks Fudoh,

It’s strange. I have this breakout cable: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/fem ... m-monitors

It states that to power the sync separator it needs either 5v or 12v on pin 8, which the PSX should do.

I’m taking the PSX scart and console to a friends at the eeekend, so hopefully we can figure out if one is broken
Allied Ibara Rebels
danielretrogamer

Post by danielretrogamer »

I know that PVM and BVM have superior image quality (I have couple monitors) but wonder, anyone ever user PHILIPS BOSCH professional CRTs? Couple of 20" ones are up for sale, (very) cheap comparing to PVM/BVM. They lack RGB but do have S-VIDEO and composite. I already have 14" and 20" RGB capable monitors.
I kind of stock CRTs when I find them cheap and on good working condition. These were used in a small studio, so maybe not so many hours on them.
danielretrogamer

Post by danielretrogamer »

Blair

Post by Blair »

Had some fun the other day testing a new phone camera and playing with the game-boy interface (component/YUV) on my pvm-14m2u.

Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I love it Blair.

You have quite the uniform set.
Copyright 1987
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

ross wrote:Anyone else find scanlines pretty distracting?
No.

Do you play with your face glued to the screen?

What you are seeing are close up shots.

Here is what it normally looks like:

https://i.imgur.com/3kngZRg.jpg
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Anyone here have any experience with the old 1084s commodore screens?

I found one at the tip today, and after replacing a dead cap (605 220uf) its running sweet but I have 3 RGB lines in the center of the screen, from what ive read its another cap.

Going to put a cap kit thru it but for now I'm really impressed with these monitors. so vibrant and crisp.
markedkiller78

Post by markedkiller78 »

markedkiller78 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:You don't require a clean CSYNC signal on this BVM, so a passive adapter would work for you just as well. It's likely a problem with the power supply for the sync stripper inside the breakout cable.
Thanks Fudoh,

It’s strange. I have this breakout cable: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/fem ... m-monitors

It states that to power the sync separator it needs either 5v or 12v on pin 8, which the PSX should do.

I’m taking the PSX scart and console to a friends at the eeekend, so hopefully we can figure out if one is broken
I have even less of a clue now!

Took the PSX (fat 7000) to my friends today. It worked with his PVM L4 and 9” BVM. Both console and cable.

He gave me a loan of his PSone (slim) on the off chance it was different. It doesn’t sync with the Sony cable, but works perfectly with my cheap 3rd party RGB cable.

Being the kind chap he is, he’s letting me borrow the slim
Allied Ibara Rebels
help_100

Post by help_100 »

ross wrote:Anyone else find scanlines pretty distracting?

I actually prefer lower TVL sets.
I notice them when I start playing and then forget they are there after a minute and enjoy the detail I get on my 600 TVL set. I've seen lower resolution consumer Trinitrons and they look nice, but I personally don't enjoy shadow mask sets (especially bad ones) with low TVL. Trying to play on my old Sharp X FLAT just kind of bores me now with its picture.
ChrisFritz

Post by ChrisFritz »

Anyone here ever use the "ADJ INT SIGNAL" feature on the BVM monitors?

I saw a discussion on it recently and tried to do some research as to HOW it actually works. Documentation seems to be VERY limited. My questions are:

1. Does it require an external signal generator like a Tektronix to do the calibration?
2. Does it only do the calibration to whatever input is present (e.g. composite, RGBS, etc.). In other words, do I need to run it separately for each input?
3. Does it work in tandem with a BKM-14L?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Anyone here ever use the "ADJ INT SIGNAL" feature on the BVM monitors?
No, but let's see..

Random BVM manual 1 (page 33):
ADJ INT SIGNAL SETUP:
Automatically adjust the SETUP level and 100 IRE level of internal signals. [->C714]

C714:
ADJUST SIGNAL menu
Adjust the SETUP level and 100 IRE level of the internal white signal which is used with the COLOR TEMP ADJ menu
Random BVM manual 2:
Color temperature adjustment can be made in the following three ways:
(1) Knob adjustment
Adjust the color temperature with the bias and gain knobs.
(2) Automatic adjustment using a probe
You can use the following probes for automatic adjustment of color temperature. Except for the Sony BKM-14L, a cable is required to connect the probe to the monitor.
[...]
Under the MANUAL sub-menu:
SIGNAL: Select the white signal to be used for adjustment.
INT: Use an internal signal. Simultaneously with the adjustment of the gain and bias, the 100 IRE and 20 IRE signals are automatically switched.
EXT: Use an external input signal. When adjusting the gain and bias, input the proper signal.
So, all in all, I think that it simply affects the white balance of a built-in test pattern for manual adjustments of the color temp.. in what way, I have no idea. I might also be totally wrong - I'm not an expert and I don't even own a BVM. I was just bored..