Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kamiboy

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by kamiboy »

Perfectly straight. It is a known issue with consoles with odd timings. Google it for more info, videos and pictures.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

JVC monitors suffer from it too. For reference look through the JVC thread. It's annoying as there's no one turn key solution and the PCE is the last console I'm looking to add to the collection. But obviously I'm not keen on dropping few hundred for a PCE Turbo Duo which I can't play on my preferred screen :|
TastySoil

Post by TastySoil »

Hey guys, I have an opportunity to get my first PVM monitor -- The ones available are a 1953MD, 20L2MD or a 20M2MDU. Would anyone recommend one of these models over another?
gordon-creAtive

Post by gordon-creAtive »

I'd recommend the 20L2MD since it's the newest one. Besides that I feel there's not really a difference. But you should do some testing before deciding.
TastySoil

Post by TastySoil »

gordon-creAtive wrote:I'd recommend the 20L2MD since it's the newest one. Besides that I feel there's not really a difference. But you should do some testing before deciding.
Great, thanks for the recommendation!
bodine1231

Post by bodine1231 »

I cannot figure out how to get the PVM on the lefts brightness down. It has a much better picture than the one on the right but as you can see with no signal fed the left one appears grey when it should be black.

Blair

Post by Blair »

you might be able to find something in the service mode that can help with that, but you should probably just feed them both the same test pattern from a high-quality source. And then recalibrate from that.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

If brightness is already turned down, you can try lowering the Bias values evenly. But that's probably not the correct way to do it.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

You can try the SCREEN control on the neck board.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

mikejmoffitt wrote:You can try the SCREEN control on the neck board.
Isn't that on the flyback?
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Most Sony PVMs and even some TVs place the control on the C board for whatever reason.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

He'd posted here too, and gotten the answer.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60646
danielretrogamer

Post by danielretrogamer »

Having (too many) pro 14"-19" CRTs (Sony, Ikegami and JVC) I am considering getting a SONY 29" TV, just for the big screen.
PVMs that size are non existent in Brazil, even 19" are very very hard to come by.
Is the SONY KV-29FS110 a good option for a TV? This is a later "true flat" screen model.
I believe PVM and BVM monitors were never "true flat" all models having the typical Trinitron curve.
I don't really care for flat or curve screen, but would like to know which SONY TVs are better (or if they have same image quality): curved ones or flat ones?
I wonder why they never bothered using flat screens on pro monitors, and I'm afraid maybe it was something related to picture quality... but I'm just guessing.
So considering non-HD CRT TVs of the same generation (late Trinitron/WEGA), which one should I get?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Flat CRTs are much harder to get the geometry right on because the distance the electron beam has to travel is constantly changing.
strygo

Post by strygo »

danielretrogamer wrote:So considering non-HD CRT TVs of the same generation (late Trinitron/WEGA), which one should I get?
The 'best' Sony SD CRT is the KV-xxFV310, followed by the earlier KV-xxFV300. Both only handle up to 480i and have 2 and 1 component inputs respectively. The former is highly sought after, so you may have some trouble tracking it down.

I live in the greater Seattle area and it took me nine months of monitoring craigslist before I finally obtained one (yesterday in fact). The challenge you will likely run into is that the people dumping these tend to post no details about the actual models, so you need to reach out to figure out if they have the size/model that you are looking for. The 310 is also annoying because it looks very similar to a later HD model, so you will have a bunch of false positives.

I now have a spare 300 that I'd be willing to part with assuming by random chance you are somewhat nearby. EDIT: Nevermind, I missed your tag. Brazil might be a bit far. :D
danielretrogamer

Guspaz wrote:Flat CRTs are much harder to get the geometry right on because the distance the electron beam has to travel is constantly changing.
Yeah I was thought there was some good reason for Sony pro CRTs not having flat screens (which probably costed lots of $ to develop). Thanks for the quick reply.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Actually I believe 16:9 BVM's had a perfectly flat screen.

While it may be tricky to get geometry right on flat screens CRTs, they tend to be newer/less old so than curved ones and that's relevant if you don't know about CRT servicing and/or are unwilling to learn.

Also, I wouldn't limit my reasearch just to Sony's, there are other brands that are equally good (JVC, Panasonic for sure).
strygo

Post by strygo »

Xer Xian wrote:Also, I wouldn't limit my reasearch just to Sony's, there are other brands that are equally good (JVC, Panasonic for sure).
How much flexibility do these manufacturers offer in their service menus? I picked up a Toshiba to handle Midway arcade games and was quite disappointed by the lack of capabilities in its service menu. The Sonys, apart from having little documentation, have quite extensive service menus. I've been able to correct a large range of issues by tweaking things in their service menu.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Daniel, if you can live with S-video, there are some amazing older Trinitrons. The ones with the Microblack Trinitron tubes look gorgeous, my pick is the KV-27TS30. It has an S-video input.
The models mentionned in this brochure https://www.manualslib.com/manual/24320 ... e=4#manual , along with the aforementionned TS30, should be extremely close to a lower-grade PVM in term of picture quality, since they use the same tubes and have almost all of the same picture-enhancement features.

I also highly encourage you to check out JVC sets (pre-I'Art), for the most part they range from good to great. some of the D-series sets (AV-XXD200, AV-XXD201, AV-XXD203, AV-XXD500, AV-XXD501 and AV-XXD503, where"XX" references the size) have 700 lines of horizontal resolution on the 27" sets and 800 lines on the 32" sets. The D-series sets have S-video but also component inputs.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

strygo wrote:How much flexibility do these manufacturers offer in their service menus?
No idea, sorry - the only 29" CRT I've ever had was actually a Sony (but 100Hz disgracefully).
danielretrogamer

Xer Xian wrote:Actually I believe 16:9 BVM's had a perfectly flat screen.

While it may be tricky to get geometry right on flat screens CRTs, they tend to be newer/less old so than curved ones and that's relevant if you don't know about CRT servicing and/or are unwilling to learn.

Also, I wouldn't limit my reasearch just to Sony's, there are other brands that are equally good (JVC, Panasonic for sure).
FinalBaton wrote:Daniel, if you can live with S-video, there are some amazing older Trinitrons. The ones with the Microblack Trinitron tubes look gorgeous, my pick is the KV-27TS30. It has an S-video input.
The models mentionned in this brochure https://www.manualslib.com/manual/24320 ... e=4#manual , along with the aforementionned TS30, should be extremely close to a lower-grade PVM in term of picture quality, since they use the same tubes and have almost all of the same picture-enhancement features.

I also highly encourage you to check out JVC sets (pre-I'Art), for the most part they range from good to great. some of the D-series sets (AV-XXD200, AV-XXD201, AV-XXD203, AV-XXD500, AV-XXD501 and AV-XXD503, where"XX" references the size) have 700 lines of horizontal resolution on the 27" sets and 800 lines on the 32" sets. The D-series sets have S-video but also component inputs.
Yeah, I am looking for a SONY mostly because it was (and still is) widely avaliable, many people got them back in the day when 29-34" TVs were a thing.
I know other brands can also be very good (I have JVC pro CRTs with Panasonic tubes and Ikegamis with Toshiba tubes).
JVC TVs were never officially/widely distributed in Brazil. Mitsubishi TVs are hard to find, and most of the time are (too) old models from 92-98. And most Panasonic and Toshiba newer TVs are basic models. I'll keep looking...
I really appreciate the helpful answers and tips :D
gordon-creAtive

Post by gordon-creAtive »

Does anyone know for which BVM this input board is for? It's one of the already included ones, and I got it separate. While the front and the pcb look quite the same to the one in my BVM-20F1E, the shielding etc. is different and it won't fit into my BVM because of the four metal things standing out at the back.
Spoiler
ChrisFritz

Post by ChrisFritz »

Has anyone here had any luck with savon-pat's caps kit? I don't have any issues with my current BVM, but I was curious if it was worth ordering the kit and replacing the caps preemptively, even though I'm not having any issues.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

ChrisFritz wrote:Has anyone here had any luck with savon-pat's caps kit? I don't have any issues with my current BVM, but I was curious if it was worth ordering the kit and replacing the caps preemptively, even though I'm not having any issues.
Hmm, I just took a look at his ebay page and im not sure what his "repair and upgrade kit" consists of, but if it's just capacitors and maybe other small components, then it's a little pricey. I'd still be willing to buy a kit though as he obviously knows what he's doing, and you'd definitely be ordering the correct parts. Problem is, he only seems to offer kits for the 20F1U. I have a 20G1E :(
naz

Post by naz »

strygo wrote: The 'best' Sony SD CRT is the KV-xxFV310, followed by the earlier KV-xxFV300.
Hi, I have one of those kv-xxFV310 (the 29" model). It does look better than any other consumer crt I've tried. One great feature is the high voltage regulator that keeps the color from blooming, this means the scanlines are even across the screen (regular crt have thinner scanlines on the brighter parts of the image, wich some people actually prefer). Sound is also great, lots of bass.

One thing to have in mind is you will probably have to readjust the yoke and a tons of settings on the service menu (part of the fun :P). My set was put togheter in Mexico and it seems quality control there is really low. But after that you'll have a great display.

regards
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

naz wrote:
strygo wrote: The 'best' Sony SD CRT is the KV-xxFV310, followed by the earlier KV-xxFV300.
Hi, I have one of those kv-xxFV310 (the 29" model). It does look better than any other consumer crt I've tried. One great feature is the high voltage regulator that keeps the color from blooming, this means the scanlines are even across the screen (regular crt have thinner scanlines on the brighter parts of the image, wich some people actually prefer). Sound is also great, lots of bass.

One thing to have in mind is you will probably have to readjust the yoke and a tons of settings on the service menu (part of the fun :P). My set was put togheter in Mexico and it seems quality control there is really low. But after that you'll have a great display.

regards
What were some of the issues you fixed? Mine has a lot of corner and edge convergence issues and some geometry problems I couldn't fix in the service menu alone (like a vertical bowing along the bottom edge). Did you have either of those and fix them by messing with the yoke?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
naz

Post by naz »

same on my set, service menu can only get you so far. On mine the yoke wasn't even touching the "4 black rubber holders" (sorry, don't know the English word for them) and the magnetic strips seamed to be placed a bit randomly. After playing with those (for hours!), the image geometry and convergence ended up much better.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

naz wrote:same on my set, service menu can only get you so far. On mine the yoke wasn't even touching the "4 black rubber holders" (sorry, don't know the English word for them) and the magnetic strips seamed to be placed a bit randomly. After playing with those (for hours!), the image geometry and convergence ended up much better.
Did you move the yoke or just re-seat the wedges underneath it?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
naz

Post by naz »

wedges! that's the word, thanks.

my first try was exactly to do that, but the yoke was too tight and had too loosen the clamps to move it.
Remistewart

Post by Remistewart »

Occasionally my BVMD24 makes an electrical pop sound, and the picture briefly flicks off for a split second. The red standby light also flickers during the moment.

Bit scary as its happening more frequently now - although after turning the contrast down it's a little less common.

Is the monitor on its way out, or is this normal behaviour?