Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Steamflogger Boss

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Oh man, I'm very jelly. What is the make/model? Looks absolutely sublime.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

The brand is Dotronix. model DSV27.

It's a "TV wall" monitor so the bezel is super slim. It's actually smaller than my 25 inch consumer Sony, despite having 2 more viewable inches!

Really barren inside, all controls are on a pcb that is screwed on the bottom-rear of case, so it must be really easy to take out of there and put in a cab. Actually, the bezel is so slim that one might be able to fit it in a cab WITH the bezel on...

Funny thing about that company is, they still make these monitors... and are based in the US
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

That looks great and the small bezel is fantastic!
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Is it just the picture or is the convergence quite bad in the top left corner? There is a big red shadow around "SCORE" in one of the pictures.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yes some convergence in top left. So what?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

You are compelled to fix it or burn at the stake ! :twisted:

Super sexy looking shadow mask for a tube this size btw, and the slim bezel is great. I'm jelly too.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks Xyga :mrgreen: I really wanted a good looking shadowmask monitor of that size, so I'm pretty stoked!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

How does one go about purchasing from Dotronix? They don't sell directly from their website, and there are no prices...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

GojiFan90 wrote:How does one go about purchasing from Dotronix? They don't sell directly from their website, and there are no prices...
Just email them, they have a "contact" tab on their website. I did it and they answered me with the prices

Know going in that they don't make any deals nor liquidation prices, though. They price them just as if they were selling to businesses in the '90s (they still sell to museums actually). You know how the larger Sony PVM monitors sold for several thousands dollars back then? Well…

Price right now is at $2595 for an RGB-only one in the DSV series like mine (model number DSV27). And they sell a flat tube one with component, s-video and composite called the DNR series. The 27 inch DNR27 is $2494. Both come with a 1 year factory warranty

I don't expect any retro gamer to buy some, was just sharing that for curiosity's sake, haha
Last edited by FinalBaton on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

FinalBaton wrote:Price right now is at $2595 for an RGB one in the DSV series like mine (model number DSV27). And they sell a flat tube one with component, s-video and composite called the DNR series. The 27 inch DNR27 is $2494. Both come with a 1 year factory warranty
Those prices are about one tenth what I expected.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

FinalBaton wrote:Price right now is at $2595 for an RGB-only one in the DSV series like mine (model number DSV27). And they sell a flat tube one with component, s-video and composite called the DNR series. The 27 inch DNR27 is $2494. Both come with a 1 year factory warranty
I'd be really interested to know why there's no flat tube for RGB (unless "component" in the flat one is for both RGB and YUV?).
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

FinalBaton wrote:
GojiFan90 wrote:How does one go about purchasing from Dotronix? They don't sell directly from their website, and there are no prices...
Just email them, they have a "contact" tab on their website. I did it and they answered me with the prices

Know going in that they don't make any deals nor liquidation prices, though. They price them just as if they were selling to businesses in the '90s (they still sell to museums actually). You know how the larger Sony PVM monitors sold for several thousands dollars back then? Well…

Price right now is at $2595 for an RGB-only one in the DSV series like mine (model number DSV27). And they sell a flat tube one with component, s-video and composite called the DNR series. The 27 inch DNR27 is $2494. Both come with a 1 year factory warranty

I don't expect any retro gamer to buy some, was just sharing that for curiosity's sake, haha
Did yours come new from them? I would expect better corner convergence for 25 bills
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

maxtherabbit wrote: Did yours come new from them? I would expect better corner convergence for 25 bills
No mine is used. and not bought from them.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

fernan1234 wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:Price right now is at $2595 for an RGB-only one in the DSV series like mine (model number DSV27). And they sell a flat tube one with component, s-video and composite called the DNR series. The 27 inch DNR27 is $2494. Both come with a 1 year factory warranty
I'd be really interested to know why there's no flat tube for RGB (unless "component" in the flat one is for both RGB and YUV?).
That's a good question. Maybe the newer design (flat tube) ended up being targeted more towards people who don't know too much about electronics(those museum employees for example) and thus they decided to go with a connection more known by the general public, in this case component

Just throwing an hypotesis out there. They should have still included RGB on top of component though

EDIT : forgot to say earlier, they sell 20" and 25" variants too
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

FinalBaton wrote:The brand is Dotronix. model DSV27.

It's a "TV wall" monitor so the bezel is super slim. It's actually smaller than my 25 inch consumer Sony, despite having 2 more viewable inches!

Really barren inside, all controls are on a pcb that is screwed on the bottom-rear of case, so it must be really easy to take out of there and put in a cab. Actually, the bezel is so slim that one might be able to fit it in a cab WITH the bezel on...

Funny thing about that company is, they still make these monitors... and are based in the US
Did you get that off of ebay from Long beach CA selling Savon Pat diagnostics?

I called dotronix and they offered me an exhorbant price for a new model. I am super jealous as well.
Copyright 1987
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Thats a sexy monitor you picked up. Wouldn't mind picking up a dotronix dsv27.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

the Goat wrote:
Cannonballs wrote:The 29” and 32” PVMs would have near the same sharpness correct?
No they wont. The BVM-D32e1wu has a significantly higher TV Line rating (1000 TV Lines) than the PVM-2950qm (600 TV Lines).

I’m looking at a 2950q for mostly 240 16/32bit RGB, read a lot of favorable things on here about them.
xga

Post by xga »

FinalBaton wrote:The brand is Dotronix. model DSV27.

Any chance you can check the tube model number and manufacturer please, FinalBaton? I'd be keen to know what sort of tube its got.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I saw some of those monitors on eBay a while ago. I wondered how they would be as a gaming monitor as they look quite stylish for a crt.

I am surprised the manufacturer still sells them and even more surprised that they still make them and even more surprised still that they sexpect to sell for the full retail price.

I wonder if any museums are still buying them for that price. Every museum and gallery I have been to in the last decade used flatscreens or projectors if a screen was needed.

Would you mind posting a pic with a different game? maybe SF2 or Double Dragon.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

@xga @Classicgamer the monitor is stored away at the moment since I'm moving soon but I'll see what I can do
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

JVC TM-290ZE Rare Find!!

Hi guys. I've owned a few JVC HTM's before and a 19" DTV but was after a larger pro monitor. I searched for a NEC XM or a Megaview for years in the UK with no luck. Just recently I happened across a TM-290ZE that I had never even heard of before. Its the 29" big brother of the HTM line. The inputs and manual controls are located on the side, which I prefer with these super deep pro monitors, access is so much easier that rear mounted.

The picture is comprable to the smaller HTM models, fantastic colors but not as sharp as my BVM ofc. The service menu is the same, I would have liked to have seen a few extra geometry options since the screen is just slightly rotated anti-clockwise, but it only affects about 1 pixel line in 240p.
The Photos don't really do it justice as my current phone cannot take decent photos of CRT screens.. The last picture is along side my PVM 2130 (in Tate) for scale.

RGB Rob's video on this model that showed that it also came with a remote (mine didn't).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MImAMC2Yzls
I though I might possibly find a consumer JVC remote that might work with it, but feared I wouldn't be able to access the adjustment sub-menu because of the hold Enter>Menu combination you have to do, but paused Rob's video to see the serial number of the remote , and in another stroke of luck I was able to find one for sale in Hong Kong which is being shipped to me now! Looking at photos of it, it has a 'memory mode' button which makes me wonder if this may have multiple savable geometry settings, but the manual says you unfortunately cannot save multiple settings per input..
*Btw, I do not have to have the remote as the buttons on the monitor itself do everything, but it will be super nice not to have to get up and reach around the side when i switch systems, even if I still have to manually re-adjust from the menu.

All in all I am super happy with this model and to finally have a large pro 15kHZ monitor after so many years of searching. Manual can be found here:
https://elektrotanya.com/jvc_tm-290ze.pdf/download.html

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

ISSUE:
Recently I started getting some kind of interference when using it. I assumed it must be a lose connection as it came and went. I tried isolating each thing in the chain, PC, Extron 203, then matrix etc, but turns out it is doing it without any input at all and only seemingly on the RGB input.
When the input is in (see 2nd pic) I get horizontal streaks, discoloration and a bar down the centre of the screen.
With no input (see 1st pic) I just get green horizontal streaks.

Image Image

I seem to be able to just lightly slap / tap the back of the monitor (Fonze style) to get it to return to a perfect picture, which is handy, but also worrying. What could be causing this and why would just slapping the back correct it?! I have hunted for years for a large pro 15kHZ monitor, so I am super worried about this issue now that I have one..

Any thoughts on this problem appreciated.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Crayfish wrote:JVC TM-290ZE Rare Find!!

I seem to be able to just lightly slap / tap the back of the monitor (Fonze style) to get it to return to a perfect picture, which is handy, but also worrying. What could be causing this and why would just slapping the back correct it?! I have hunted for years for a large pro 15kHZ monitor, so I am super worried about this issue now that I have one..

Any thoughts on this problem appreciated.
Its probably just a bad solder joint probably on the input board or main board here is the service manual: (wait a few seconds to download)

https://elektrotanya.com/jvc_tm-290ze.pdf/download.html
Shining

Grundig ST 82-774

Post by Shining »

Picked up this beast of a consumer CRT a couple of weeks ago, Grundig ST 82-774. Cost me €20. It's a non 100hz 32" 4:3 from 1995-1996 and with a Toshiba tube inside. I'm already deeply in love with it as it beats the image quality/geometry on all my other Trinitrons. It has two RGB scart sockets and the service menu is super easy to get into. Great sound too. If anyone has any input on Grundig tellies from this era it would be fun to read about it :)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Some info on the TV:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Grundig, Blaupunkt, Metz, Loewe. All really great CRTs from the early to mid 90s.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

if you are in the UK, you should check if Hantarex have any Hantarex Cubes left (they did last time I looked). The Cube is one of the best large CRT monitors ever made and it looks very sleek IMO.

Or, if you don't mind making your own case, ask if they have any Polos left. The Hantarex Polo (UK version) is my personal fav retro gaming / arcade monitor ever. They were amazing and a new one would be a real find.

That is if your issue turns out to be more than a dry solder joint.... I'd start by opening it up to see what is happening inside when you slap it. Ideally there would be an immediately obvious loose wire that is easily fixed...
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I mean, it's called Megatron so I think it automatically beats every other TV.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

I've always been wondering. On most Sony PVM's there's BNC in and out connectors. We can connect to either in or out and get a good picture. What's the danger in using both the in and out connectors simultaneous and effectively giving us two RGB/Component connectors at the same time. I'm asking because the BKM-129X is almost impossible to attain and I don't want to damage my gear.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

H6rdc0re wrote:I've always been wondering. On most Sony PVM's there's BNC in and out connectors. We can connect to either in or out and get a good picture. What's the danger in using both the in and out connectors simultaneous and effectively giving us two RGB/Component connectors at the same time. I'm asking because the BKM-129X is almost impossible to attain and I don't want to damage my gear.
You should not use the 'out' connectors as an input. You need to put 75 Ohm terminators on the 'out' BNC jacks. Without the terminators the signal will be distorted (probably too bright).
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

the Goat wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote:I've always been wondering. On most Sony PVM's there's BNC in and out connectors. We can connect to either in or out and get a good picture. What's the danger in using both the in and out connectors simultaneous and effectively giving us two RGB/Component connectors at the same time. I'm asking because the BKM-129X is almost impossible to attain and I don't want to damage my gear.
You should not use the 'out' connectors as an input. You need to put 75 Ohm terminators on the 'out' BNC jacks. Without the terminators the signal will be distorted (probably too bright).
That's on the BVM's. Almost all PVM's have 75 Ohm auto termination. I do have terminators on every out just in case.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Iirc because you need to have a 75 ohm termination. Just get a switch.