Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dochartaigh

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by Dochartaigh »

H6rdc0re wrote:Never mind. It's the A series and with the BKM-68X impossible to find I'm not gonna bother.
480p to 1080i it would be great and worth getting if the price is right - I'd take one ;) . ---just not the all-in-one CRT like the D24 model which is what most people covet.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

fernan1234 wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote:Never mind. It's the A series and with the BKM-68X impossible to find I'm not gonna bother.
I'd get one. S-video is good enough in one of those.
It comes fully stock so no BKM-15R control unit and no option boards. Also no S-Video or Composite connections unfortunately. :(
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

H6rdc0re wrote: It comes fully stock so no BKM-15R control unit and no option boards. Also no S-Video or Composite connections unfortunately. :(
That's too bad, but how much are they asking for them? Depending on that it may still be worth it to get and hold until a chance comes up to find an input board and control unit.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

fernan1234 wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote: It comes fully stock so no BKM-15R control unit and no option boards. Also no S-Video or Composite connections unfortunately. :(
That's too bad, but how much are they asking for them? Depending on that it may still be worth it to get and hold until a chance comes up to find an input board and control unit.
€1800 a piece... so I'm not gonna do it. They do also have 2 BVM-20E1E (SD only) with 33.000 hours. Is that too many hours?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Yeah that's too much IMO as nice as a brand new tube sounds. If it had Y/C input and the control then maybe. For the D20s 33k is not a lot, it may not be color grading quality anymore but for games it doesn't matter, though ideally you would be able to see how those D20s perform before committing to one.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fernan1234 wrote:That's too bad, but how much are they asking for them? Depending on that it may still be worth it to get and hold until a chance comes up to find an input board and control unit.
Have you seen the prices for these things?
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Lawfer wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:That's too bad, but how much are they asking for them? Depending on that it may still be worth it to get and hold until a chance comes up to find an input board and control unit.
If it were D24EW1E's then I would have bought them instantly. Shouldn't be hard to sell them at $4000-5000 each.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

H6rdc0re wrote:If it were D24EW1E's then I would have bought them instantly. Shouldn't be hard to sell them at $4000-5000 each.
If anyone wants a D24 for $5000 I'd probably be willing to part with mine :lol:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

count me in the camp that prefers a good consumer crt or lower tier pro monitor, to the 800 tvl beasts. The latter just look weird for old games to me, I don't enjoy that look nearly as much as a say 450 to 600 TVL crt. can even be lower count thant that for smaller screens. I really like Trinitrons in that range. And I also really like slot shadowmask sets. It's like chicks : there's all kinds of hotties :mrgreen: bless the variety, hehe
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's like chicks : there's all kinds of hotties :mrgreen: bless the variety, hehe
but just like with CRTs, you know how complicated it can get, once you start having multiple ones at home at once :mrgreen:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Fudoh wrote: but just like with CRTs, you know how complicated it can get, once you start having multiple ones at home at once :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

H6rdc0re wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
If it were D24EW1E's then I would have bought them instantly. Shouldn't be hard to sell them at $4000-5000 each.

I think they would be very hard to sell for that price. It was only commercial outfits that ever paid that sort of cash for video monitors. The entire professional world has moved on to other display tech.

The only guys who still want old CRTs is vintage gamers and very few would ever pay even half that price for a monitor. Plus, that model is 16:9 which is a big no no for games from the CRT era.

For HD content, there are better options available for less.

I've seen people ask top dollar for old CRTs on ebay but they sit and sit...... and sit...... and sit there unsold usually.

is there anyone here who would being willing (and able) to spend $5000 today for any CRT (besides the new G90s)? Just curious if they exist and what they use them for?
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

I definitely wouldn`t spend that much on a CRT but I recently sold my D32 (in perfect condition) in this range.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Fudoh wrote:
It's like chicks : there's all kinds of hotties :mrgreen: bless the variety, hehe
but just like with CRTs, you know how complicated it can get, once you start having multiple ones at home at once :mrgreen:

Yup, it's hard to choose which one to use today when you have too many... Or which to use for vertical games.

I just had to get rid of a bunch of mine as I'm moving house and couldn't justify bringing an old 1992 Sony Trinitron that never gets used. It broke my heart but I had to throw a Wells Gardner k7000 (with screen burn) in the dumpster.

Now I am down to just two Tri-sync arcade monitors and my 20" Ikegami. I am being buried with these three.
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

I'm down to just the Toshiba TIMM and a NEC Multisync II (for vintage computing needs). No room in the new place for much more.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

H6rdc0re wrote:If it were D24EW1E's then I would have bought them instantly. Shouldn't be hard to sell them at $4000-5000 each.
:lol:
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

GeneraLight wrote:
Brand new without any hours or wear and tear.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

H6rdc0re wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:
Brand new without any hours or wear and tear.
That's still way too much, but a lot more reasonable.
Last edited by Ikaruga11 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Classicgamer wrote:Plus, that model is 16:9 which is a big no no for games from the CRT era.
This doesn't apply to the D (or A) series widescreen BVMs though, it applied to commercial widescreen CRTs because those did scaling and processing. Widescreen is actually a big plus IMO. A 4:3 picture will look perfectly fine on them. Plus no curve. Plus never again will you have to live with horizontal overscan, and you have ample room for horizontal resolution control. I actually can't see myself going back to a 4:3 display for 4:3 content anymore, especially retro games and their very varied horizontal resolutions.
svensonson wrote:I definitely wouldn`t spend that much on a CRT but I recently sold my D32 (in perfect condition) in this range.
That's basically a once-in-a-lifetime monitor. What made you feel like you could live without it?
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

fernan1234 wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:Plus, that model is 16:9 which is a big no no for games from the CRT era.
This doesn't apply to the D (or A) series widescreen BVMs though, it applied to commercial widescreen CRTs because those did scaling and processing. Widescreen is actually a big plus IMO. A 4:3 picture will look perfectly fine on them. Plus no curve. Plus never again will you have to live with horizontal overscan, and you have ample room for horizontal resolution control. I actually can't see myself going back to a 4:3 display for 4:3 content anymore, especially retro games and their very varied horizontal resolutions.
svensonson wrote:I definitely wouldn`t spend that much on a CRT but I recently sold my D32 (in perfect condition) in this range.
That's basically a once-in-a-lifetime monitor. What made you feel like you could live without it?
I dont feel that I need a 100kg 16:9 monitor for retro gaming. I`ll rather stick with the 4:3 trisync monitors that I have. they just do better fit for this purpose, in my eyes.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

The issue with 16:9 has nothing to do with upscaling issue from on some late model HD crts. That issue is separate and applies equally to HD 4:3 variants that upscale low res content.

The issue with 16:9 is that old games look bad on them. You either stretch the image making Ryu fat or play with ugly black borders at the side. It's a compromise and, at that price, who wants to compromise.... If you are buying a monitor for vintage 4:3 games, it makes more sense to invest in one of the many quality 4:3 CRTs.

If one plans to spend multi thousands of dollars, you can pretty much take your pick of almost any CRT, so there is no need to choose the wrong aspect ratio.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Classicgamer wrote:The issue with 16:9 is that old games look bad on them. You ... play with ugly black borders at the side.
Not an issue at all. The pillarbox bars don't bother me on my D32 when playing 4:3 games.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

the Goat wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:The issue with 16:9 is that old games look bad on them. You ... play with ugly black borders at the side.
Not an issue at all. The pillarbox bars don't bother me on my D32 when playing 4:3 games.
Exactly. I really don't see the difference between pillarbox bars and the monitor's bezel as the frame of the 4:3 picture. And again, horizontal resolution has plenty of room, you'll never need to bother with horizontal shift controls for sources that place the picture in different places horizontally.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

the Goat wrote:
this

I prefer an all-in-one display setup, and letterboxing is far more distracting than pillarboxing. Plus, letterboxing also results in a loss in TV Lines, which doesn't happen with pillarboxing.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

fernan1234 wrote:
the Goat wrote:
Exactly. I really don't see the difference between pillarbox bars and the monitor's bezel as the frame of the 4:3 picture. And again, horizontal resolution has plenty of room, you'll never need to bother with horizontal shift controls for sources that place the picture in different places horizontally.
I haven't seen people talk about this much recently, but at the time of the SPF/Hi-Scan 16:9s, there was a lot of talk about how pillarboxing on 16:9 led to burn-in and geometry issues at the edges because it was especially tough on the system to cut the electron beams horizontally at a hard demarcation line in the middle of the screen.

Not sure if you all are experiencing anything like this on your pro models, but it was an explanation often given for the horrible geometry issues that quickly developed on the high-end consumer 16:9s
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Saw that a Sony KV-25XBR was listed near me, inquired about it only to find out it had been trashed by the owner :( That legit saddens me, and ruins my day :( I would have picked it up, even though I already have one, to save it from the trash and give it a new lease on life. It sucks to see a beautiful RGB monitor like that, especially one so special in North American crt history, get sent to the bin :(
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

vol.2 wrote:I haven't seen people talk about this much recently, but at the time of the SPF/Hi-Scan 16:9s, there was a lot of talk about how pillarboxing on 16:9 led to burn-in and geometry issues at the edges because it was especially tough on the system to cut the electron beams horizontally at a hard demarcation line in the middle of the screen.

Not sure if you all are experiencing anything like this on your pro models, but it was an explanation often given for the horrible geometry issues that quickly developed on the high-end consumer 16:9s
Hmm, I can't really see why the electron beam would have a hard time stopping anywhere on the screen. After all, monitors have multiple under/overscan settings anywhere, 4:3 or widescreen. The beam doesn't care, and the phosphors will not get any more wear than in normal use just because they're at the edge of the current blanking area with the under/overscan of the given content.

I don't know how bad geometry was on consumer widescreen CRTs. I had one and the geometry was actually one of the best I saw on a consumer set. It had a ton of geometry settings, much more than the widescreen BVMs for sure (though the latter on the other hand don't usually need them anyway). Either way, certainly none of this is an issue on the pro monitors.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

FinalBaton wrote:Saw that a Sony KV-25XBR was listed near me, inquired about it only to find out it had been trashed by the owner :( That legit saddens me, and ruins my day :( I would have picked it up, even though I already have one, to save it from the trash and give it a new lease on life. It sucks to see a beautiful RGB monitor like that, especially one so special in North American crt history, get sent to the bin :(
Oh no. :(
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Oh no. :(
Yep, it blows :(

In other news, I just found a line of Component-capable curved Trinitrons, which is something I've been wanting to catalog for a while, but couldn't find a single model number till now. From what I know there were few of those. I actually grew up playing on one in my teens, but can't remember the model number.

But in the meantime I've found this line : https://www.manualslib.com/manual/91766 ... =41#manual

32XBR48
34XBR48C (this one is a 220v set)
35XBR48
35XBR88
37XBR48M

Looks pretty good! Look at dat 2nd pic :
https://imgur.com/gallery/5IPrGKM

I think there may be another line of curved component-capable sets released in NA(the one we had didn't any the XBR branding), and I'd like to find which one is it.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Anyone own one of the 4:3 Hitachi plasmas, and have an opinion on them?

Even more unlikely: an opinion on them compared to the PDP-V402? Hopefully less bland blacks?

Have a chance to pick up a couple of them and am curious if it'll be worthwhile!