Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ryu

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by ryu »

get some other people and check if they notice the noise. all crts emit a high pitched noise that only some are actually susceptible to. most people don't hear that sound.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
SePh1r0tH

Post by SePh1r0tH »

ryu wrote:get some other people and check if they notice the noise. all crts emit a high pitched noise that only some are actually susceptible to. most people don't hear that sound.
Mine makes a buzzing sound but its only noticeable if there is no other sound in the room. When playing I don't notice it at all.
NWrain

Post by NWrain »

I asked a few people in their mid 20's, and they can hear it. It sounds similar to a 14,000 hz sine wave. It is a consistent sound when the monitor is on, and there is video signal input. I'll have to keep playing and see if it is bothersome.
ryu

Post by ryu »

SePh1r0tH wrote:
ryu wrote:get some other people and check if they notice the noise. all crts emit a high pitched noise that only some are actually susceptible to. most people don't hear that sound.
Mine makes a buzzing sound but its only noticeable if there is no other sound in the room. When playing I don't notice it at all.
a tv technican told me that was normal. all my pvms do that and i stopped caring abut it after i was told that it was no big deal. all my monitors still work great
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
NWrain

Post by NWrain »

Since these are 15Khz monitors, does that mean they also make a 15Khz noise?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

NWrain wrote:Since these are 15Khz monitors, does that mean they also make a 15Khz noise?
Well, I was inclined to say no, but: link
Not sure what part would be resonating at this frequency...hmm.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Not sure what part would be resonating at this frequency...hmm.
Probably the flyback transformer.
NWrain

Post by NWrain »

I have read that when CRT computer monitors begin to fail it is because the flyback transformer laminations have deteriorated. I don't know if that was referring to 31+ khz displays or 15khz display.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

So Fudoh, where would you say the PVM 20" L2MD fits in among the SONY lineup?

I cannot find it in that catalog of yours. It is clearly a medical model. So is it pretty much similar to the 20" M2 except for the more precise controls that you mentioned previously?

And can anyone confirm that unlike the L5 the L2 does not accept 480p?

Also what would you consider the better choice between these two. A used 20L5 with an unknown number of hours on it costing a few hundred or a brand new 20L2 for almost three times the price?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Just bagged myself a BVM for £46! :shock: :mrgreen:
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Here in Portugal we don't have anyone selling BVM's, PVM appears here and there sometimes, but everyone selling them thinks they worth 600€. My 2950 PVM was bought from a guy in spain and shipping was more expensive than the monitor itself. I see some BVMs on ebay, but sellers don't want to ship it overseas :cry: :x
NWrain

Post by NWrain »

fagin wrote:Just bagged myself a BVM for £46! :shock: :mrgreen:

100 pounds of equipment for £46 sounds good.
fagin

Post by fagin »

NWrain wrote:
fagin wrote:Just bagged myself a BVM for £46! :shock: :mrgreen:

100 pounds of equipment for £46 sounds good.

BVM's are going for a lot more than £100 in the UK. There is one on eBay now that is already up to £310 with bids and has 6 days to run yet! lol
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I am considering picking up a PVM-20M4U (upgrading from my current PVM-20M2U) this weekend. In your opinion, is it worth holding out for a BVM-20F1U to pop up?
NWrain

Post by NWrain »

The BVM's are pretty nice. However, they are pretty long. I would say to look at the dimensions and make sure you can fit it in your home. Most of the BVM's seem to be sold in California and New York. You may be able to save some money on a BVM monitor that way.

edit: I also picked up a brand new PVM 20M2-MDU. Does anyone know how to check hours on a PVM monitor?
Last edited by NWrain on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

I say go for an 20L5 just for the 480p support. 480p gaming hardware such as the PS2, Gamecube and Wii look much crisper on a CRT than on a LCD.

Wii games actually look stunning which they certainly do not on any modern display.

I've decided to pick up a L5 as soon as I can locate an affordable one. A nice desk top unit to complement the B&O I'll be getting late next year.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Speaking of the L5, has anyone ever been able to find an usage hour counter for this model? It seems most "newer" professional displays have this feature but no one I ask seems to be able to give me that number from anywhere in the unit menu.

Would be nice to be able to verify what sort of wear a unit has before purchasing one for posterity.
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

@ fagin i was watching that BVM. Nice get :D

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Sony PVM-2054QM, cant find anything about it??
SharkSkin-Man

Post by SharkSkin-Man »

Does anybody know if PVM-2054QM's are 600 or 800 line screens?

Edit: derp, didn't even see the post above.
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

SharkSkin-Man wrote:Does anybody know if PVM-2054QM's are 600 or 800 line screens?

Edit: derp, didn't even see the post above.
Thats basically what i want to know and also what years they were made approx.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

kamiboy wrote:I say go for an 20L5 just for the 480p support. 480p gaming hardware such as the PS2, Gamecube and Wii look much crisper on a CRT than on a LCD.

Wii games actually look stunning which they certainly do not on any modern display.

I've decided to pick up a L5 as soon as I can locate an affordable one. A nice desk top unit to complement the B&O I'll be getting late next year.
I considered the 20L5, actually, but the digital support is a little confusing to me. Would this actually degrade the picture quality for low res games? I primarily use my PMVs for 8 and 16 bit gaming consoles so that is my primary concern. Would those games look as good or better with the 20L5 compared to the 20M4U?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Necronopticous wrote:I considered the 20L5, actually, but the digital support is a little confusing to me. Would this actually degrade the picture quality for low res games? I primarily use my PMVs for 8 and 16 bit gaming consoles so that is my primary concern. Would those games look as good or better with the 20L5 compared to the 20M4U?
What do you mean by digital? The L5 is just a multi sync monitor. Should look exactly like any other 800 line PVM with 240p/480i stuff.

Only thing ditital about it is the SDI option to accept various professional digital video formats. But that is not relevant for our purpose, we just have consoles with their analog outputs.

I really want an 20L5, but now I may have found a smaller L2 with very low hours on it, so I might go for that instead.

So damn hard when you cannot have everything. Cheap, low hours and multi sync.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

There is a guy pretty local to me selling a 20L5 in "excellent" condition according to him. I may go take a look this weekend. I talked him down to $150 and he says he will go no lower. Would you guys consider that to be a reasonable price for this unit?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

absolutely. Great price! Pick it up an report back. I would pick up an L5 to check out the 480p quality, but they're impossible to find over here.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Picked the BVM up last night. Been up since 6:30am "tuning" it. :roll: :shock: :mrgreen:

Unreal for adjustments..... like brilliant unreal.

Mine has a slide out remote board to adjust EVERYTHING (including.... wait for it, Convergence over the entire screen in sectors - this gave me an immediate hard-on!!) via pots. Much easier than faffing around with a service menu imo.

I'm not sure where to start as this is one serious piece of kit. Also my Wii U has just arrived so I'm all over the place at the moment! :mrgreen:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

which exact BVM model did you get ? A small one or a big one ? How many hours on it ?
'm not sure where to start as this is one serious piece of kit
the channels above 90 have test patterns on them. Do a full convergence and geometry adjusment first. On mine those settings are neccessary for four different sets of settings (Underscan/Overcan, 4:3/16:9 in all four variations). I would use one 4:3 for "fullscreen" systems and the other for 224-line systems.
fagin

Post by fagin »

I don't have a menu Tobias..... this is a proper analogue chassis "old skool"! ;)

It's a 900 line BVM-2010P (20").

Don't worry.... I've used proper test patterns to get the geometry and convergence spot on. :)

Christ knows how many hours but the tube is proper mint. It certainly pre-dates yours.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

At the price you paid there's nothing to complain about. Total bargain, no matter how old the unit is.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Just taken the top of the unit off and the date stamp on the tube is 1987. It's 25yrs old!!!! :shock:

That is truly unbelievable as the image is outstanding.

They sure for shit don't make them like they used to and this alone is testament that the units age (and presumably fairly high hour usage) doesn't have to be a negative at all.

I'm honestly shocked.
cools

Post by cools »

I've got a 1985 PVM-1371QM that has a flawless picture too.

As long as there's no burn the old Sony CRTs are always a good buy :D