shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:42 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190
 Post subject: Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:21 pm 

Thanks guys may look into that at some point then.

Also weirdly every copy of ff7 I have tried on my PS3 won't run, I have the PAL game on disc but tried downloading the NTSC version and just get a black screen using the redump version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:23 am 

Never mind, I forgot that ps1 discs aren't region free on ps3 even though ps2 and ps3 are.

I like the look of 240p but I have to sit around 6 feet away from the screen otherwise the scan lines are too intense for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:12 am 

jedman wrote:
I have to sit around 6 feet away from the screen otherwise the scan lines are too intense for me.

lmao

that's basically why people want the particular monitor you have. i agree though, i infinitely prefer the look of a ~600 line set to a 900 line one for this reason. the fancy BVM is wonderful to just see what it looks like, but can give you a headache looking at the intensity.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:01 am 

speaking of ~600 tvl sets

I've just ''calibrated'' my PVM-2950, and I gotta make my mea culpa and say that : it has better colour reproduction than I initially thought.

I put the PVM-20L5 next to it as a reference for tweaking the white balance. I don't have a flash cart yet (but ordered one so will make a 2nd pass with the 240p test suite) but I used my usual 3 games that I know well : 1st Sonic 2, to get basic colours right, 2nd Street Fighter Alpha 3, more colours at display here, then 3rd Super Mario WOrld, large portions of lighter colours to cross-reference.

It made a big difference to ''calibrate'' the monitor, it was definitely a bit off. Colours/contrast look quite a lot better now. I gotta say, to my surprise : now it doesn't look worlds apart from the 20L5, colour-wise. Sure the latter is noticeably tighter in some areas and is tighter overall, no question. but the 2950 gets really close when looking quickly at the both of em. One area I isolated where there was a clear advantage for the 20L5, was how bright the lighter-greens get. I couldn't quite get them this bright with the 2950, despite maxing G-DRIVE and ducking other drive/cuts to ''make room for it'' and making sure G_CUT supports it just enough. But I'm still damn impressed with it. SMW is kinda stubborn (it's one of those games that's easy to make look good, but difficult to make look perfect on consumer/pro-sumer/some lower-tier PVMs), but the rest look really amazing. Sonic 2 and SFA3 looked almost identical on the 2950 and 20L5. And I'm not exagerrating one bit

I'm not saying its colours are every bit as accurate as the 20L5 : I'm just saying that I'm surprised at how close it's getting. not quite there, but still very, very nice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:11 am 

vol.2 wrote:
jedman wrote:
I have to sit around 6 feet away from the screen otherwise the scan lines are too intense for me.

lmao

that's basically why people want the particular monitor you have. i agree though, i infinitely prefer the look of a ~600 line set to a 900 line one for this reason. the fancy BVM is wonderful to just see what it looks like, but can give you a headache looking at the intensity.

Yeah it's just very different from the old consumer Sony Trinitron I had as a kid.

Guess it's just too accurate.

The 480p and 720p look amazing with the Wii and PS3 though.

But yeah if I sit too close all I can see is the scanlines at 240p.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:32 am 

I'm bored AF right now so I looked through some old screenshots I've taken of my D24. These are done on 35mm film. The photochemical process is much more fun than digital.

Kodak Gold 200

Kodak Ektar 100 (pushed 1 stop in development).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:31 pm 

nissling wrote:
I'm bored AF right now so I looked through some old screenshots I've taken of my D24. These are done on 35mm film. The photochemical process is much more fun than digital.

I like the first one better ('cause I like seeing nearly individual phosphor trios), but the second is definitely more like it looks to the naked eye (unless you're sitting like a foot away from the CRT lol).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:35 pm 

I used different lenses too. First is a 105mm macro, second is nifty-fifty. Also I did mess upp the Ektar in development (too cold water and uneven chemicals). Plus I couldn't get rid of all the dust...

Got a roll of Kodak Portra 800 in the fridge that's been there for ages. Maybe it's time to use it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:16 pm 

man I miss chemical photography

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:04 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCKFAofQSgU

Anyone ever come across one of these Godzilla-sized Barcos before?

Fudoh - tell us what he's talking about :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:16 pm 

something really special today. A bluetooth monitor. (camera on cables). Really great. Only works when expanding those special antennas (folding out the monitor's handles). Looks like a handle but is an antenna. Also works for listening to radio at the same time.....

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:29 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
something really special today. A bluetooth monitor. (camera on cables). Really great. Only works when expanding those special antennas (folding out the monitor's handles). Looks like a handle but is an antenna. Also works for listening to radio at the same time.....

Someone on this Facebook CRT group said the same about this video, lol... looks like we've got a joker on our hands, filming that wacky Barco

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:18 am 

Yeah, he's a friend of mine and started doing these videos to combat boredom in Corona times.
The one in the video is a really rare Barco SCM 3346. It's most comparable to a Barco OCM 3346 Multidata I (he had one of those too). They are both trisync. The main difference between this one and the Multidata II is that the picture settings like size etc. are done via pots on the back, whereas the Multidata II have Buttons in the front to do it digitally. Neither of them has an OSD. The share the same tube type.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190