Buying cpsIII pcb from cosmic, please help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
inno

Buying cpsIII pcb from cosmic, please help

Post by inno »

Ok, so i'm not buying a shooter but it seems like a lot of people here know a thing or two about pcb's.

I'm out to buy a SFIII third strike cps3 kit, and cosmic had the best price.
But they say the cd is bootleg which is ok, but they also said the cartridge is converter. Anyone know what this means?
I tried asking them but didn't get a reasonable explenation at all.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

What was their explanation? I have never heard of a cartridge being "converted".
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
inno

Post by inno »

Their explenation was "the cart's without label but same rom"
ResOGlas

Post by ResOGlas »

inno wrote:Their explenation was "the cart's without label but same rom"

Then it's a dumped bootleg as well. What's their asking price for this thing? Aren't TS kits running quite cheap on Ebay now a days?
Hail Atlantis!
inno

Post by inno »

They want $280 for the kit. I couldn't find any on ebay :(
ResOGlas

Post by ResOGlas »

inno wrote:They want $280 for the kit. I couldn't find any on ebay :(

Damn, you really need to wait on this one. That's a rip off for a legit board, let alone one that includes a while bunch of counterfeit crap. I got mine at a local public arcade auction for less than $150. No marquee or paperwork, but everything's authentic. You should be able to get a legit kit on Ebay for around $280 the next time one comes up. I'm sorry man, I know what it's like playing the patience game. I assure you, it will be worth the wait.
Hail Atlantis!
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

I'd just stay away from Cosmic entirely. They're sometimes impossible to communicate with because Queenie's an idiot at english and they don't give a shit if they sell you bootlegs (and then they make you pay for shipping back when you receive your stuff and tell them you don't want a fucking bootleg!)
inno

Post by inno »

Many thanks for your replies, I guess I'll wait and see if anything pops up at an online auction or forum. It's my first time buying a pcb and I really want the real deal.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I'm sure you'll get an original for under $300 if you keep an eye out. $280 is a rip off for bootleg crap tbh :(

Also, contact ECL ( http://www.excellentcom.net ) to find out their price :)
Ketsui-The last of the manly cave shooters.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

There is no CPS3 bootleg, as far as I'm concerned it is impossible at the moment. You can copy the CD's, which is good because if you have a Version 2, you can find the Version 1 .iso. Also he/she said "same rom".

Excellent has them for ~$400 (JP Version) btw.

edit: If you get a CPS3 Third Strike make sure to ask if the suicide battery has been changed and when, if not I would do that first thing because depending on how long the game has been played, it could die any moment (was released in 99).
COWBOY-RJJ
inno

Post by inno »

So then the cartridge must be original? They said it was ** which at cosmic means it's converter (whatever that means)

And I've checked excellent, pretty expensive $480.
Cheapest I found shopping around internet PCB shops was coinopexpress at $360.

And yes I've asked if the battery has been replaced, and all shops answer they have no idea so i'm prepared to change it as soon as i get the board.
Ord

Post by Ord »

I've heard it's quite tricky changing CPS3 batteries, as you've got to do it while the board is powered up.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

I also herd that CPS3 hardware doesn't last that long. Because if you move the board a little bit, the cartage port deside not to work.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

Yea most owners don't know anything about their batteries. I just changed 3 batteries and I put a small label on the top section (so you have to take it off when opening it) stating when the battery was replaced.

Third Strike is the easiest to change, it is the ones with the ground wire that are just a little more difficult. I did it while the system was on, but you can also rig up a "support" battery.

CPS3 won't die if you move it around, I have never heard of a cartridge port not working. Honestly it is just a bunch of people freaking out (look how much people get worked up over CPS2, then multiply that by 100x with CPS3). You know I hear stories like "Some guy broke his Wazard by touching the edges of the cartridge". I don't know if this guy was walking around the carpet with wool socks, but whatever. Of course you need to be careful, like with any other PCB.

inno : Did you e-mail coinopexpress? Their site is out of date and prices are wrong.

Also, cosmico has them cheap because they have the Asian version, which mutes/replaces JP voices. Sorta like Rival Schools or Progear ASIA.
COWBOY-RJJ
inno

Post by inno »

I emailed coinopexpress and the price now seems to be $400.

But in the latest reply I got from cosmic they are saying that motherboard and rom cart is original and only the cd is bootleg.
So thinking I might go for it, but worried about what valgar said about asian version.

Are you sure about this? If it's the case that it asian version with replaced voices can one reflash the board with an us version rom?
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

inno wrote:I emailed coinopexpress and the price now seems to be $400.

But in the latest reply I got from cosmic they are saying that motherboard and rom cart is original and only the cd is bootleg.
So thinking I might go for it, but worried about what valgar said about asian version.

Are you sure about this? If it's the case that it asian version with replaced voices can one reflash the board with an us version rom?
Ask them what region it is, but because of their low price I am sure that is the case. I can confirm the Asian version has this problem because I own one (looking to sell it) and while looking online I found two others with the exact same problem.

I'm not sure what you mean "reflash"? The only way to change region is to get a new Security Cart. I have no proof, but I think all of the CDs carry the same data (except there are two Third Strike CDs - Version 1 and 2) so you don't need to get a new CD, just the security cart.

As a side note, CAPCOM JP are the only ones left who can revive carts (you must go through a JP Arcade operator I guess). They will only revive JP carts too.
COWBOY-RJJ
ThirdStrike
Banned User

Post by ThirdStrike »

I would stay away from Cosmic Cps3 stuff

It all seems questionable.
SHAQ FU!