Perfect Cherry Blossom Instalation issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ord

Perfect Cherry Blossom Instalation issue

Post by Ord »

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me. I bought a copy of Perfect Cherry Blossom for the PC and for the life of me i can't seem to instal it.

I'm using windows XP and i don't have any other language packs instaled on to my pc, so when any Japanese writing appear it just comes out as jibberish and symbols on my monitor.

I run the CD and i think it asks me if it's ok to instal the game into my C drive. I click on yes and then it starts to instal. I think. It then says something about not finding a folder and then stops. It's driving me batty! I have the demo on my computer and i can play that with no problems at all.

Can someone help me as i'm very eager to do have some "curtain shooting" action.

Thanks.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If your computer is like mine, what you have to do is find your installer disc for XP, and use that to install the Asian language pack (not the exact name, but it's something like that). To do it, I think you have to go onto Control Panel and then to Regional and Language Options, I think there's a link to activate the disc there...once the pack's installed, go back to the same place in R+L Options and turn Japanese on in the "non-unicode" language settings menu...then you'll hafta restart the comp. I think it's something like that...I might've messed something up though, maybe someone else could confirm whether I got it right...
zimeon

Post by zimeon »

Fact is, what most certainly happened was that the installation programme failed to install the sound. Try going to the folder you stated, and the game will probably be there, and will probably work. But the WAVs won't work, though.

Exactly this happened on my sister's computer when I tried Cherry Blossom there. I don't know why it happened there. To make the game fully work (with WAV-music), do as BulletMagnet says and get the japanese language installed.
Enthusiasm without skill
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

I'm having the same problem but I dont have my winxp disc so I cant install the Japanese languge option. :(
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

zimeon wrote:Fact is, what most certainly happened was that the installation programme failed to install the sound. Try going to the folder you stated, and the game will probably be there, and will probably work. But the WAVs won't work, though.
That's what happened to me back when I had the demos (and before I'd installed the language pack), they would work fine except that it had Midi music...specifically, PCB and IN would work, but for some reason EoSD wouldn't...in any case, "Cherry" should be fine if what zim says is true, the midi music's still fine IMHO. To some extent I can almost say I prefer it, it sounds "happier" to me...
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Kiel wrote:I'm having the same problem but I dont have my winxp disc so I cant install the Japanese languge option. :(
I installed support for Asian languages on my XP pro laptop and I did not need the disc. Maybe this is a difference between the home edition and the pro edition? Not sure if you tried to install it or figured you needed the disc.

Bill
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

It prompted me to insert the disc. XP pro...
zimeon

Post by zimeon »

BulletMagnet wrote:That's what happened to me back when I had the demos (and before I'd installed the language pack), they would work fine except that it had Midi music...
The demos don't have WAV music to begin with.
BulletMagnet wrote:PCB and IN would work, but for some reason EoSD wouldn't...
Scarlet Devil uses japanese file names, so it's absolutely necessary to install japanese language pack to install or run the game, whereas Cherry Blossom and Imperishable Night only needs the japanese pack when installing (and only sometimes... beats me when!).

However, there is a way to fix the Scarlet Devil problem, if you go into the install files and change all filenames it uses. Someone posted a fix for that on www.shrinemaiden.com (under "Problems"), so chek there if you're desperate for some grazing action.
the2bears wrote:I installed support for Asian languages on my XP pro laptop and I did not need the disc. Maybe this is a difference between the home edition and the pro edition?
This is a difference between laptops and non-laptops. Laptops come with Windows mounted, so basically the whole install CD is copied onto the harddisk to begin with, but it's being zipped in the background. Therefore you don't need the install CD from a laptop. Desktops, though, usually come with the CD, so...
Enthusiasm without skill
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Kiel wrote:It prompted me to insert the disc. XP pro...
That's too bad. I imagine the machine I have (a Compaq) must have put that stuff on the HD when Windows was installed. Can you get a disc from work or something? It's worth doing as the Japanese and Chinese websites look a lot better, no "squares" and such.

Good luck,

Bill
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

It's a pretty useful thing to do. only problem is you lose your backslash character. It gets turned into a Yen symbol. :)
Ord

Post by Ord »

Oh bloody Hell!! I've misplaced the XP pro disk. :evil: :evil: :cry:
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

Welcome to my world, I'm shit outta luck too.
Ord

Post by Ord »

YEAAA!!! :P I found the XP pro disk and i've installed the language pack! Shrine Maidens Bullet paterns sure are pretty. :)